◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 149,813 comments
ChopperScan25.jpg

Raleigh Chopper MK2. Got it for my birthday in 1974. I was a very happy 12 year old.

This will probably always be the shortest and most memorably intense vehicular affair of my life. Had a bike like this for a week, when I was 12. Took me about 2 days to destroy our tiny back yard before going in search of wider adventure, some busybody called it in and the coppers showed up and took it away. All told, had it 7 days before getting busted and discovering the bike had been stolen before my Mom bought it for $50.

1973-Yamaha-GTMX-Silver-5282-1.jpg

This will probably always be the shortest and most memorably intense vehicular affair of my life. Had a bike like this for a week, when I was 12. Took me about 2 days to destroy our tiny back yard before going in search of wider adventure, some busybody called it in and the coppers showed up and took it away. All told, had it 7 days before getting busted and discovering the bike had been stolen before my Mom bought it for $50.

nothing like the thrill of a stolen motorcycle :scared:

1973-Yamaha-GTMX-Silver-5282-1.jpg

Schwinn Classic 1952-1954
Used to deliver newspapers in Denver, Colo during Jr High School years
Also used to pull my brother, 9 years younger, seated in a cardboard box - with heavy coat, gloves and football helmet. We pretended he was a racecar driver.......... sliding around corners in and out of gravel alleys. (I abused my Little Brother like that a lot .......... He turned out to be the REAL Race Car Driver)
I'm still on the bicycle, though of different make

Last edited:
images (19).jpg

kawasaki KMX 125 frankenstien this had KX engine 250. power bands on 125 gear box and also had racing pistons. it was fast at 15, happy days taking chases from police round cycle track even ended up in the local paper for ruining local rugby park and for anti social for the noise it made.

ChopperScan25.jpg

Raleigh Chopper MK2. Got it for my birthday in 1974. I was a very happy 12 year old.

Lol Tom, It's like we were sorta living in a parallel universe! You and I were born in the same year and I was just about to post this photo of the bike I got for my birthday in the mid '70s when I saw your post.

redchoppermain_zps2f8a7a13.jpg

My best friend had one the same colour as in your pic. We went around like we were a very early, and much less dangerous, couple of members of Sons of Anarchy. :lol:

Mine was blue with that great big wide slick tire outback. I skid marked my driveway everyday. All we did was ride bikes and play baseball during the summer. No video games back then.
Actually mine was gold … I remember agonizing over which rear tire to get … the cheetah slick or the knobby, I went with the latter … better traction.

2258208793_0a598d65a5.jpg

My cousins, racing family friends, and I had a bunch of karts similar to this growing up. Home built go karts that resembled wingless sprint cars or midgets. The rear tires were a little different than what is in the picture but the basic build is real close. Engine behind the seat, sheet metal body, and roll cage. I started out with a 3 HP engine when I was 4 and then moved up to 5 HP and eventually 8 HP. We had a small dirt oval out behind my grandparents house that got used every weekend that the family wasn't out racing the real cars somewhere.

I wish I was around cars and things when I was younger. You drove something like that at Age 4?! Insane! I have no good wheels memories.

Anyone remember these?

The COX gas powered Dune Buggy!

I must have been 5 of 6 when I remember someone in the family bought one of these. Totally ridiculous by today's standards because it only had 3 positions for the front wheels - left, center and right. Didn't matter though because as far as I was concerned it was always screaming like it was doing 100mph. :dopey:

Cox dune buggy.jpg

For those who've never see one in action:

I wish I was around cars and things when I was younger. You drove something like that at Age 4?! Insane! I have no good wheels memories.
That's a shame. I think where you grow up and what the family is into has a lot to do with it. Most of the kids I knew who grew up in a city never got to do the things we did growing up on a farm in the country. Having just two channels on the TV and not much to entertain us inside we were naturally doing everything possible outside, summer and winter. And as young boys that meant anything that had wheels could be turned into some kind of fun!
We still keep this up to this day, making sure the kids are outside having fun on wheels so they can have the same memories we do. Here's a couple of pics of my nephew at age three on his new Yamaha PW50. We studded the tires for the ice and made him his own track so he could be just like his dad and uncle.
100_2157.JPG
100_2159.JPG

Anyone remember these?

I must have been 5 of 6 when I remember someone in the family bought one of these. Totally ridiculous by today's standards because it only had 3 positions for the front wheels - left, center and right. Didn't matter though because as far as I was concerned it was always screaming like it was doing 100mph. :dopey:

View attachment 287134

cute, but the video is just stupidly funny. All the guy does is drive in a circle...

Anyone remember these?

View attachment 287134

Too funny! Those were powered by the Cox .049 I believe. I used those in my control line airplanes, my first foray into the world of two strokes!

Anyone remember these?

View attachment 287134

Oh my... that brings back memories. I had one to as a child and it went like the wind! I was much shorter at the time too, so perspective may have played a hand in the perception of speed. Yes, only three manual settings for the front wheels. Hours of fun.

Back