◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 149,534 comments
Generally any mass produced sports car sold for use on public roads will come with the equivalent of sports hards. I used to service write at a Porsche dealer and I have seen it all.

Manufacturers put tires on that will give a specific fuel mileage and load rating at the expense of grip. They also need to be general purpose enough to survive rain storms, pavement temperature extremes and heavy loads.

Some cars come standard with certain alignment specs that would cause soft tires to wear out within 5k miles. I can tell you that the average customer who bought a $100k Turbo S was none too happy when the tires wore out earlier than expected. Simply because the average customer is not a performance driver.

I seriously doubt you would ever drive a production high performance sports car off the dealer floor with anything stickier than sports hards.

Last edited:
Generally any mass produced sports car sold for use on public roads will come with the equivalent of sports hards. I used to service write at a Porsche dealer and I have seen it all.

Manufacturers put tires on that will give a specific fuel mileage and load rating at the expense of grip. They also need to be general purpose enough to survive rain storms, pavement temperature extremes and heavy loads.

Some cars come standard with certain alignment specs that would cause soft tires to wear out within 5k miles. I can tell you that the average customer who bought a $100k Turbo S was none too happy when the tires wore out earlier than expected. Simply because the average customer is not a performance driver.

I seriously doubt you would ever drive a production high performance sports car off the dealer floor with anything stickier than sports hards.

Those are good points as well. My point was more to show that the spec tire according to PD was nothing to use as a guide. The equilevant of a SM or SS in real life would probably not be well suited for the multiple weather conditions that one might see.

The counterpoint to this is that anyone who owns one of these cars and wants to take it to the track is going to have a different set of tires to do so with (if they're using their brain at all). This would be something that would probably be considered a SS tire or in some cases even a hard compound slick.

What part?

Are the units of grip the same widget per thingy?

Is this unit the industry standard, or the standard for the company that pays for it?

Was the testing conducted independently? Was the product UL certified, or certified by a national board recognized by a group larger than the board of directors who produce said product?

When was the testing done?

Was the testing of these grippy/yet I'm more economical or durable tires done as a university or think tank study, an independent group to verify claims or industry standards, or something else? Who funded those studies?

Most importantly, it's terrific they claim grippy, and clingy, and goodness all around... but is that what the data from the actual study really represented?

Truth in disclosure: As a teacher, I've become quite active in verifying that studies by various 'groups' are actually studies and not simply agendas or marketing schtuff.

But if an ad says it, or it was on the internet, it may be true...

Now, that being said, this testing may be independent, it may be impartial and it may be fair and uncompromised. I am from Oregon and live in Virginia, but I was stationed (briefly) is Misery.. I mean.. Missouri, the "Show me" state, so quoting statis-er-ations, is... well... and invita-ter-un... ;-)

Last edited:
The counterpoint to this is that anyone who owns one of these cars and wants to take it to the track is going to have a different set of tires to do so with (if they're using their brain at all). This would be something that would probably be considered a SS tire or in some cases even a hard compound slick.

Its my understanding that you need to run D.O.T. tires at track days? Am i wrong? I know in budget racing such as 24 of lemons(i bring this up because they are all supposed to be "stock") also uses D.O.T. tires that would probably be more like CS's.

Its my understanding that you need to run D.O.T. tires at track days? Am i wrong? I know in budget racing such as 24 of lemons(i bring this up because they are all supposed to be "stock") also uses D.O.T. tires that would probably be more like CS's.

No, D.O.T. tires are far from CS's. There are D.O.T. approved racing tires which are, in some cases, basically cut slicks. Tire Rack again because it's convenient, but they sell them on Amazon or at Summit Racing.

I'm thinking cut slicks would be very close to sports softs. Basically a track day tire.

DOT tires means that it has an appropriate tread depth in case it rains.

I'm thinking cut slicks would be very close to sports softs. Basically a track day tire.

DOT tires means that it has an appropriate tread depth in case it rains.

I wouldn't want to be in the rain on this:
ku_ecsta_v710_ci2_l.jpg

Are the units of grip the same widget per thingy?

Is this unit the industry standard, or the standard for the company that pays for it?

Was the testing conducted independently? Was the product UL certified, or certified by a national board recognized by a group larger than the board of directors who produce said product?

When was the testing done?

Was the testing of these grippy/yet I'm more economical or durable tires done as a university or think tank study, an independent group to verify claims or industry standards, or something else? Who funded those studies?

Most importantly, it's terrific they claim grippy, and clingy, and goodness all around... but is that what the data from the actual study really represented?

Truth in disclosure: As a teacher, I've become quite active in verifying that studies by various 'groups' are actually studies and not simply agendas or marketing schtuff.

But if an ad says it, or it was on the internet, it may be true...

Now, that being said, this testing may be independent, it may be impartial and it may be fair and uncompromised. I am from Oregon and live in Virginia, but I was stationed (briefly) is Misery.. I mean.. Missouri, the "Show me" state, so quoting statis-er-ations, is... well... and invita-ter-un... ;-)

I don't think they're "official" gradings, they're just how Tire Rack classifies them. For example, you can see that they put all different brands in this group.

It depends on the organizer and what rules they set. I've seen people at track days with full blown race cars on race tires all the way down to a vw beetle on street tires.

I hate these real life vs. GT5 debates when it comes to tires, but here I am…

TireRack actually does a pretty good job of near-scientific testing. Trying tires themselves in specific conditions on one or more identical cars. I don't know which part of the site dabney got his info from, but I can presume that he found some real hard data on 0-60 times, 60-0 times, skid pad testing, etc. that show how the tires perform against each other.

Like someone else said, SH tires are not unlikely what a dealer would be nigh-forced to put on a car, given safety requirements, eco restrictions, durability standards, and so on. SM or SS tires are those track day tires (which you can also get through TireRack. ;)) that don't have any of those regulations to worry about and are just there to make you fast.

Racing tires are another breed entirely, with RH and RM possible raceday tires, and RS tires the "one lap specials" of qualifying days.

That's how I see it. Must mean it's right. ;)

I don't think it necessary to match real world with the virtual world. In our virtual world, I think it more important to match the car to a tire to facilitate the participants maximizing their fun factor, not what would be found on the car at a dealership. When I first read the parameters of the regs, I liked what I saw relative to the tire choices, being based on PP and HP levels. I heard some people say that the 458 Italia should not run Racing tires at all, but should have been on Sports tires. The harder tires do make the cars harder to drive and control which favors the more skilled drivers. But does it add to the experience when more of the field is spinning and suffering more contact as a result of reduced braking for instance. I just think that the racing is improved when more people have control of their car and the confidence to be as competitive as they can be :)

I don't think it necessary to match real world with the virtual world. In our virtual world, I think it more important to match the car to a tire to facilitate the participants maximizing their fun factor, not what would be found on the car at a dealership. When I first read the parameters of the regs, I liked what I saw relative to the tire choices, being based on PP and HP levels. I heard some people say that the 458 Italia should not run Racing tires at all, but should have been on Sports tires. The harder tires do make the cars harder to drive and control which favors the more skilled drivers. But does it add to the experience when more of the field is spinning and suffering more contact as a result of reduced braking for instance. I just think that the racing is improved when more people have control of their car and the confidence to be as competitive as they can be :)

True dat!

That's what the divisions are intended to do, but the heavy, high hp/torque cars can be challenging for the lower skill level groups, imho.

I really want to do Cat & Mouse tonight, but I had to get up 3 hrs after we wrapped up to get my son off to a Boy Scout trip. Then his luggage was lost and I was on the phone with Mall-of-America/REI to get him a reload lined up before they finally returned it to him a short time ago.

I'm wiped - Have fun guys. If you haven't run Cat & Mouse, it's a blast - try it!

As always...not everyone will be happy. It's a compromise.

As long as we are all judged the same by having identical cars/tires then who cares? The fastest guys will always be the fastest no matter the tires. In a respectful league with little contact and tire wear on, the field will separate whether they spin out due to hard tires or spin out when the soft ones wear out in two laps.

As always...not everyone will be happy. It's a compromise.

As long as we are all judged the same by having identical cars/tires then who cares? The fastest guys will always be the fastest no matter the tires. In a respectful league with little contact and tire wear on, the field will separate whether they spin out due to hard tires or spin out when the soft ones wear out in two laps.

So - you enjoy playing a game where you spin out every two laps? How many weeks would you return for the 'fun' of that, JoeW?

Does that policy of just dealing with increasingly slippery tires "grow the brand" for SNAIL - and "intermediate" racing league, IIRC... - or does it exclude possible new members and growth?

So - you enjoy playing a game where you spin out every two laps? How many weeks would you return for the 'fun' of that, JoeW?

Does that policy of just dealing with increasingly slippery tires "grow the brand" for SNAIL - and "intermediate" racing league, IIRC... - or does it exclude possible new members and growth?

Sooo...tire wear off? Not sure why you said that. All I'm saying is the entire thing is a big compromise. Not all will be entirely happy. Some guys I race with will only have rooms with comforts...others will only race with racing softs and still other rooms with only sports softs. I enjoy them all for the same reason...the guys I race with are respectful and fun to hang out with.

Which is pretty much what I got last night in D2. I'm happy if the tires stay the same. If they change them then I'm still happy because the racers will be the same.

I jumped into the tire debate merely to explain what real world cars would normally come with...not to explain a preference.

Not jumping on you, JoeW, just expressing a point of how some may, or may not, enjoy a videogame (not real-life physics).

I'll try to deal with whatever it is.

Handlebar
Not jumping on you, JoeW, just expressing a point of how some may, or may not, enjoy a videogame (not real-life physics).

I'll try to deal with whatever it is.

Ok cool :)

And I read you loud and clear. We still need to keep it fun. It may be challenging to run 458s with sports hards but at some point challenging is mutually exclusive of fun to most people.

It may be challenging to run 458s with sports hards but at some point challenging is mutually exclusive of fun to most people.

Ah.... I love communiceration when it works!

You nailed the hammer on the head.

And with that... G'night, Gracie.

KuulKrinne
Soo.. what do i do next for join? xD

So sorry kuulkrinne, i had a lapse. It happens when you're old :(

I'll get you the info when i get home.

Once again, my apologies.

I am from Oregon and live in Virginia, but I was stationed (briefly) is Misery.. I mean.. Missouri, the "Show me" state, so quoting statis-er-ations, is... well... and invita-ter-un... ;-)

Interestingly (to me, anyway) is that I live in Oregon, and my office is in Reston. If I'm not mistaken, that's pretty close to you. What part of Oregon are you from? :cheers:

Soo.. what do i do next for join? xD

Hey KuulKrinne,

Thanks for your patience and giving me a nudge 👍 Glad you'd like to join S.N.A.I.L.

We run a clean league by enforcing the S.N.A.I.L. OLR and we expect all of our drivers to know and follow The Good Racecraft Guide. Please become versed in both.

Steps:
1. I add you three to the drivers list as a New S.N.A.I.L. (Done)
2. You run the Time Trial.
3. You each Private Message my GTPlanet account with your time from the time trial.
4. I assign each of you to the appropriate Division. Please note, you will not be able to race Sunday until you've submitted a time to me.
5. A PSN friend request will be sent from the appropriate SNAIL_Division1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 account. That is where you race on Sunday night.
6. You drive fast and clean on Sunday :)

The original post has a lot of information regarding the league, commit it to memory ;)

The second post has the current race lineup and is updated weekly.

If you have a preference for car/wheel colour and racing number, post your choices in this thread. To avoid duplication, the currently claimed combinations can be found here.

During the week we run a number of different events feel free to jump in and partake!

Welcome aboard and enjoy :)

The Official​
S.N.A.I.L. LOTTERY​
Monday every week, all S.N.A.I.L. members who raced in Sundays races will be automatically entered into the S.N.A.I.L. lottery.
I will randomly give all racers a # and roll dice to get the winner. They will be awarded anything from D1 stockpile.

This week's S.N.A.I.L. LOTTERY winner is.....
kcheeb​
Just post or PM me what you would like for a prize. :)

The Official​
S.N.A.I.L. LOTTERY​
Monday every week, all S.N.A.I.L. members who raced in Sundays races will be automatically entered into the S.N.A.I.L. lottery.
I will randomly give all racers a # and roll dice to get the winner. They will be awarded anything from D1 stockpile.

This week's S.N.A.I.L. LOTTERY winner is.....
kcheeb​
Just post or PM me what you would like for a prize. :)

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner 👍

I'll post my choice tomorrow :)

Back