◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 149,625 comments
Ban H shifting? Time to take a perspective not discussed yet. With slippery slope theology, if wheel/pedal usage started to show a distinct advantage then we will be banning wheels/pedals next. It’s really sad that PD caters to the DS4 to the extent that it can be remotely competitive. I understand making DS4 compatible with GTS to get a flavor for driving/racing but by making it on par with wheel setups - PD poisons the simulation aspect. What I mean- PD has gravitated Gran Turismo towards an arcade game instead of racing simulator. It’s also too bad that SNAIL gets caught in the middle.

PD wants Gtsport to sell copies of the game more than they want a true realistic sim. Alienating a majority of your player base by requiring a wheel setup is not a good way to sell games. Alienating a majority of your player base by making them unable to compete is also not a good way to sell games. It's probably not cost effective for them to have 2 completely different game servers to separate the two input methods (or 3 if you consider wheel with just paddle 1, wheel with h another and ds4). So they take the easier and more cost effective route of semi balancing it for the general population and then requiring wheel setups for their esport fia stuff.
I think they do a really good job of balancing the multiple input methods. On average a wheel is faster and more efficient (as it should be) but you can still have fun and be competitive on a controller.

Ban H shifting? Time to take a perspective not discussed yet. With slippery slope theology, if wheel/pedal usage started to show a distinct advantage then we will be banning wheels/pedals next. It’s really sad that PD caters to the DS4 to the extent that it can be remotely competitive. I understand making DS4 compatible with GTS to get a flavor for driving/racing but by making it on par with wheel setups - PD poisons the simulation aspect. What I mean- PD has gravitated Gran Turismo towards an arcade game instead of racing simulator. It’s also too bad that SNAIL gets caught in the middle.

Oh, so DS4 players are the problem? Thanks for pointing that out. I don’t care if you’re a top 30 driver who uses the DS4, as you put it: “It’s really sad that PD caters to the DS4 to the extent that it can be remotely competitive.” Glad to know that we can’t remotely enjoy racing games unlike you people who use wheels, and WE are the reason you can’t get THE PERFECT DRIVING SIMULATOR. Maybe SNAIL should move to Assetto Corsa, iRacing or something else.

9NbRtLg.gif

once its saved, go to upload a file next to post reply and you should be able to upload to the thread also one thing that helps once you have it in the comment screen click on full image

once its saved, go to upload a file next to post reply and you should be able to upload to the thread also one thing that helps once you have it in the comment screen click on full image
Thanks. I tried putting in the url, wouldn't upload. Still doesn't look like the others I've seen everyone else post...

Not going to put a lengthy post. Just posing the question. Are we banning the use of H-Gate shifting in snail or no?
Nothing has been put in place as of yet, just open discussion on how to keep things fair across the board. Sadly the variation in shift speed has created an advantage to the h gate shifting crowd, especially those that upshift with h gate, and downshift with paddles. Until there is a lock to choose one or the other, or a speed up of shifts for paddle shifted manual cars, Snail is left trying to find a way to make it's own rules to govern and maintain parity.

Nothing has been put in place as of yet, just open discussion on how to keep things fair across the board. Sadly the variation in shift speed has created an advantage to the h gate shifting crowd, especially those that upshift with h gate, and downshift with paddles. Until there is a lock to choose one or the other, or a speed up of shifts for paddle shifted manual cars, Snail is left trying to find a way to make it's own rules to govern and maintain parity.

SNAIL - Into uncharted territory

upload_2019-4-6_17-21-58.gif

Attachments

• upload_2019-4-6_17-20-43.jpeg
    upload_2019-4-6_17-20-43.jpeg
    3.9 KB · Views: 16
How do you upload an image here?
On the toolbar hear about where you type a message, click the icon to the right of the smiley face. Take the image location URL and copy/paste that into the text box that pops up. You now have the image to post in full resolution.

On the toolbar hear about where you type a message, click the icon to the right of the smiley face. Take the image location URL and copy/paste that into the text box that pops up. You now have the image to post in full resolution.
For some reason, that didn't work for me. It had shown the typed message, but had an x icon through the image

It may depend where you are getting the image from and it should be a .jpg or .png file. If you're just copying the image from your activity feed it should work.

Oh, so DS4 players are the problem? Thanks for pointing that out. I don’t care if you’re a top 30 driver who uses the DS4, as you put it: “It’s really sad that PD caters to the DS4 to the extent that it can be remotely competitive.” Glad to know that we can’t remotely enjoy racing games unlike you people who use wheels, and WE are the reason you can’t get THE PERFECT DRIVING SIMULATOR. Maybe SNAIL should move to Assetto Corsa, iRacing or something else.

I’m an enabler by answering, I’ll admit it.

You’ve twisted my words. If I wanted to be a little more terse I would have written “DS4 controllers are for video games”. If that seems harsh, try not to be offended (for all who use a controller). I think there should be separation between ‘games’ and ‘simulators’. As Fudman rightly pointed out: PD wants to sell as many copies as possible. My point was that it’s great to lure customers into sim racing by giving them an adequate taste with the DS4 but over the line by making a video game out of sim racing. If you jerked the wheel in real life to replicate even the smoothest controller input, you’d upset the car enough to lose a lot of time and tire life. I wish controller users would make the move to wheels because you would get more enjoyment out of it.

I’m an enabler by answering, I’ll admit it.

You’ve twisted my words. If I wanted to be a little more terse I would have written “DS4 controllers are for video games”. If that seems harsh, try not to be offended (for all who use a controller). I think there should be separation between ‘games’ and ‘simulators’. As Fudman rightly pointed out: PD wants to sell as many copies as possible. My point was that it’s great to lure customers into sim racing by giving them an adequate taste with the DS4 but over the line by making a video game out of sim racing. If you jerked the wheel in real life to replicate even the smoothest controller input, you’d upset the car enough to lose a lot of time and tire life. I wish controller users would make the move to wheels because you would get more enjoyment out of it.
I have a nice wheel, just have nothing to set it up with. I've look at racing seat contraptions and they're all out of my price range. I know once I do get to use the wheel, I'll have to practice a ton to be any good at it. Lol, been racing with controllers for 20+ yrs

I have a nice wheel, just have nothing to set it up with. I've look at racing seat contraptions and they're all out of my price range. I know once I do get to use the wheel, I'll have to practice a ton to be any good at it. Lol, been racing with controllers for 20+ yrs
I have a wheel stand pro that I no longer use. It was a great place to attach my wheel and pedals. Then I got a rig.

Grab some 2x4s and start cutting! :cheers:

@Rob Brown as a DualShock user for 20 years I can’t agree more. It is absolutely asinine that I can be as competitive as I sometimes am with a controller against full range of motion wheels and pedals. Honestly Project Cars 2 is similar though too. I am nipping at the heels of some of the good wheel users and can save a spin easier with the controller. It shouldn’t be.

Go to walmart and buy a card table. I used one for a few years in gt3 and gt4. It’s actually not terrible until you get a rig.

Just get a free desk off craigslist. No need to splurge on a rig before you're even sure you'll like it.

Attachments

• 20171205_022520.jpg
    20171205_022520.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 20
I've tinkered with similar type tables, didn't quite feel right. Either table was to wobbly, chair I was using wasn't position correctly, pedals would keep sliding away from me... I do have some ideas about what I want to build, just takes time and money.

Currently, my ps4 and tv are in my family living room. Not a lot of space for a desk per say.
This is how I started:
Sitting on an office chair that is about 100 years old, mounted the wheel on a printer stand that I built about 30 years ago, strapping it with my house coat waist band to a chair that is about 200 years old, protecting the chair with cloth place-mats and a cookie tray with a book in between.... looking at the TV in the living room that is too far and too high. You will also notice that the 200 year old chair has a bar at the front preventing me from pushing my legs out. Later I moved the pedals out further and put my feet over the bar. I had to set it up and broke it down every time I wanted to race. I was not allowed to have it there during the day when I'm at work and my wife is at home. I did both the 24-hour races in GT5 with this set-up. You can make a plan.....

upload_2019-4-6_19-11-28.png

upload_2019-4-6_19-30-45.png

Upgraded to this after a few years thanks to a nice surprise Christmas present from my wife and a custom cabinet built by a friend:

upload_2019-4-6_19-19-37.png

Back