◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 149,534 comments
Before we kick off the October season with tonight's practice races, I'd like to announce the September Champions for each division:

Division 1
GumballCGT (click here for results)

Division 2
dgafaboutany1420 (click here for results)

Division 3
A_Higher_Place (click here for results)

Division 4
kendawg198 (click here for results)

Division 5
Wolfsatz (click here for results)

Congratulations to all five of you!! You each get one of these:

snailtest.png

(Please PM me with your T-shirt size and the address you want it mailed to)

:gtpflag:

Where we practicing!? Mrawwwwwww mrawwwww wop wop mrawwww

Was that your cat i hope?:dopey:

actually yeah I have taken my medication. But that is no matter. I just got out of work, after a horribly long day and I wanna drive my matte purple vette sideways at suzuka. WOOP

The practice rooms are officially open! If you're assigned to Division 1 or Division 2 (or you placed in the top 5 of Division 3 this past Sunday) please join the BLUE ROOM:

1472-6681-3415-7084-0423

Everyone else, please join the RED ROOM:

1472-4711-0038-4893-8938

Exactly what is the policy when going side-by-side with someone? I always thought the guy on the inside needs to stick to the inside, not be a full car width away from the apex.....I know it was only practice, but I'm not sure people appreciate being run off the road after they have given room to someone on the inside :/

Exactly what is the policy when going side-by-side with someone? I always thought the guy on the inside needs to stick to the inside, not be a full car width away from the apex.....I know it was only practice, but I'm not sure people appreciate being run off the road after they have given room to someone on the inside :/

While I have know idea what happened but I do wonder if the person knew you were there.

S.N.A.I.L. Tip 1:
This might be known by most S.N.A.I.L.s but for those who do not know if you go in to the quick settings (same menu as chat) and adjust your map to be Fixed To Car and zoom to about 2 you will be able to see exactly where the cars are around you. No blind spots and you can see when they are next you.

This has helped me massively. No more guessing where people are or having to search for a button to look left or right:)

The policy exactly is that you must have sufficient overlap, meaning the bumper of your car must be at least to the drivers position of the car you are passing before turn in. I set my map to 3, but I also have buttons set up to look around. It takes a little practice, but it is a very useful skill to add to your repertoire.

I looked right at SPA on Sunday running side by side with Spooble to check for overlap, when I looked forward again I was spinning out. This is :crazy:.

I looked right at SPA on Sunday running side by side with Spooble to check for overlap, when I looked forward again I was spinning out. This is :crazy:.

I use it like a rearview mirror, just a quick glance to see what's what. And usually just before I start braking to see if anyone is 'in position'. I really try not to look at it when doing something really important :)

I think zooming the map works best; I usually have it at 2 or 3 depending on the track, but at level 2, you can really see where the other car is at all times without really taking your eyes off the track.

The same has happened to me, when using the buttons.

I love that post! :)

Very well said, You have to watch the replays from the other drivers view, Because sometime they are put in a situation they can't controll. Most passes are not gonna be made without a little rubbing. When a driver losses grip in a turn and slips into someone, well that is just racing. The driver didn't intentionally try to slide into him and long as he is showing respect to the other racers it will happen to all of us. I look at guys that drive their line and are not weaving all over the track. If I come up on someone that is holding their line then I can plan a pass move. But if he is not consistant and herky jerky on the track then there probably will be some rubbing when I pass. Racing is racing and there will be another day and another race...

I use it much like cheeb. First I use the mini map to see if someone is near enough, then a quick tap to see where exactly they are. It took a few to get the timing down, I too have experienced missing a brake point or a turn in spot, but really its all in the timing and how fast you can mentally readjust to the track. After the glance. If in a lot of traffic, such as the first couple of corners, is usually when I use it most, a quick glance inside, then brake, as I brake a quick glance outside, now I am fully aware of where I need to be and what line to take for the corner. Just gotta know your limits, and ultimately practice. I would run shuffle races and use it on every corner, way more then I ever use it on any given Sunday. Now I can run through some corners without looking forward, especially tsukuba.

Glad I decided to practice with you guys last night. I gained a lot of much needed experience in the Vette at Suzuka. Not saying I'll be any faster but hopefully it'll make me more consistent there. I HATE that track!

Practice until you love it :D

I believe I could live to be 200 years old and still not like that track.

I was talking to some friends about Suzuka before last night's practice and we all agreed the track is VERY technical and you have to hit your marks, but that's not the bad part. The bad part is the sand and the huge consequences you suffer for making the slightest mistake.

And on that track, making a mistake, I tend to try to drive harder to make up for the mistake and usually end up making an even bigger one. I guess I need to learn to be patient and consistent.

The policy exactly is that you must have sufficient overlap, meaning the bumper of your car must be at least to the drivers position of the car you are passing before turn in. I set my map to 3, but I also have buttons set up to look around. It takes a little practice, but it is a very useful skill to add to your repertoire.

That doesn't answer my question at all, rally :lol:

That doesn't answer my question at all, rally :lol:

Tez,
My own interpretation is that this is a gray area; if both drivers observe respect for each other's racing line, there may be some contact and that is legit...

However, most big incidents happen when one does not respect the racing line of the other driver and pushes him off road (has happened to me at Laguna, as I was just on the outside of someone attempting to pass on the inside and just deciced they wanted the whole track for himself)

I don't think this is good racecraft, if the pass has not been completed and you are holding your line. However, it is a difficult situation for the one making the pass as it is very hard to judge if you executed the pass or they are still side by side. :ouch: If this happens during actual racing; I would put a complaint; but that is just me.

It is always my intention to make a pass without touching anyone.

Last edited:
👍

I guess I need to learn to be patient and consistent.

Locate turn in, apex, turn out.
Try different lines for a same corner or serie of corners.
Learn the optimal corner speeds, braking points, apply.
Weight transfer, front/rear, is it maximized while cornering?
Can you steer more? Should you steer less?
Understand the balance of the car and use the noise of tires to help you.

Last edited:
Tez,
My own interpretation is that this is a gray area; if both drivers observe respect for each other's racing line, there may be some contact and that is legit...

However, most big incidents happen when one does not respect the racing line of the other driver and pushes him off road (has happened to me at Laguna, as I was just on the outside of someone attempting to pass on the inside and just deciced they wanted the whole track for himself)

I don't think this is good racecraft, if the pass has not been completed and you are holding your line. However, it is a difficult situation for the one making the pass as it is very hard to judge if you executed the pass or they are still side by side. :ouch: If this happens during actual racing; I would put a complaint; but that is just me.

It is always my intention to make a pass without touching anyone.

That's why I have my map set at 2 so it's a bit easier to tell. I used to have it at 5 so I knew what part of the track was coming up, but it was completely useless for situational awareness :dunce:

I race in the 3rd person view solely so I can see those around me and if/when I'm clear.

If I'm on the outside of a corner side-by-side, I give as much room as possible without forcing myself off the track, and I usually back off and let them go and try to get back by them. My main focus is to execute a pass or let someone pass as cleanly as possible while not losing a large amount of time to those in front of us or those behind us.

If I'm on the inside, I hold my line, don't wash out on corner exit.

Ahh. I see your question Tex. Side by side, coming into the corner, all the inside guy needs to do is leave space on the track for the outside. The inside is the "dominant" position. And common sense (I vote to change this to good sense, since we all know what's really common) and good edict would dictate that the inside guy stay low, the outside high. But all the inside driver needs to do is keep from pushing the outside driver off the track.

Well... I am going to be out of contention for longer then I had planned. The cable company came out to my house yesterday and told me my house is too far away from the road to be hooked up in a normal fashion. So I have to wait for them to come out and busy a big cable to my house, which could take 2-3 weeks. Hope to be back racing soon.

That's why I have my map set at 2 so it's a bit easier to tell. I used to have it at 5 so I knew what part of the track was coming up, but it was completely useless for situational awareness :dunce:

Decisions, decisions.. Set the map at 2 to increase situational awareness, or set it at 5 so you know what part of the track is coming up. If only there were only a way to do both... 💡

Decisions, decisions.. Set the map at 2 to increase situational awareness, or set it at 5 so you know what part of the track is coming up. If only there were only a way to do both... 💡

That looks really well done, but (engage snarkiness) if you need a map to figure out what's coming next on an oval...

:dopey:

Back