◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 149,534 comments
Hey guys, I won't be racing this upcoming Sunday. I also won't be able to participate for the following 7 weeks.

I'll return for the start of the December season 👍. I'll still be able to lurk the forum however :). Good luck to everyone! Can't wait to receive my prize shirt :D

Why? I'm not saying I disagree, but you need to have a reason.
It makes it so that everyone will have to be careful at the starts and everyone wont be even at the first corner. Basically its down to reaction time instead of holding your foot on the gas until the game lets you loose when the timer says go

dangerzone641
It makes it so that everyone will have to be careful at the starts and everyone wont be even at the first corner. Basically its down to reaction time instead of holding your foot on the gas until the game lets you loose when the timer says go

I like La Idea!

I always wondered why that setting wasn't used while other penalty functionality is active. Makes sense to me that it should be used. It would definitely make starts a bit more interesting.

The only reason I can think it (false start with penalty) isn't used is to keep the racing as close as possible for as long as possible. Once it's used, the field will spread out much sooner.

I always wondered why that setting wasn't used while other penalty functionality is active. Makes sense to me that it should be used. It would definitely make starts a bit more interesting.

The only reason I can think it (false start with penalty) isn't used is to keep the racing as close as possible for as long as possible. Once it's used, the field will spread out much sooner.
True but it makes the starts more interesting, and might give the people that start from the back a chance to gain a few places before the first corner

True but it makes the starts more interesting, and might give the people that start from the back a chance to gain a few places before the first corner

It could add to the mayhem on a start too. If you're behind one or more people that get penalized, everyone else behind is going to be scrambling for a way around the stationary car(s). I can see situations where this could get :crazy:

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea, it adds another element of realism 👍 But if it creates too much chaos ...

Why don't we try this on the next Wednesday practice?

Seems to me this would cause even more chaos at the first turn with cars moving at different rates of speed and the guy in the back that got a good start would try and pass four cars instead of the two he's trying to pass now.

What should be happening is that everyone should be trying to get through turn one on their cold tires in one piece and then start racing for positions one at a time once their tires come up to temp.

Anything that has to potential to bunch up a start any more than it already is, is just a bad idea in my opinion.

S.N.A.I.L. September Racecraft Award - 6 Hours Left To Vote

S.N.A.I.L. will be awarding one these highly sought after S.N.A.I.L. T-Shirts as a token of appreciation to the driver that best exemplifies the S.N.A.I.L. ideal of Good Racecraft.

Please submit your vote for the person you feel fit's that description. One vote per month per S.N.A.I.L.

Voting will be open until 6:00 P.M. Saturday October 6th. Use the link below to submit your vote.

S.N.A.I.L. September Racecraft Award Entry Form

Thanks!

Seems to me this would cause even more chaos at the first turn with cars moving at different rates of speed and the guy in the back that got a good start would try and pass four cars instead of the two he's trying to pass now.

What should be happening is that everyone should be trying to get through turn one on their cold tires in one piece and then start racing for positions one at a time once their tires come up to temp.

Anything that has to potential to bunch up a start any more than it already is, is just a bad idea in my opinion.
it was just an idea, just tryin to increase the realism

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea, it adds another element of realism 👍 But if it creates too much chaos ...

Oh yeah, the old realism saw. While I'm sure the real race stewards for standing start races would love to be able to invoke an immediate penalty for drivers that jump the start, this setting would in no way mirror current reality.

An increase in realism can only be attained by a reduction of in game controls, which will inversely affect the time stewards and management must spend reviewing everything. The only reason the in game penalty controls exist is to compensate for the limitations of the physics engine to mimic reality in regards to shortcuts, damage and the general tendency of humans to stretch the rules of any environment, synthetic or not. Take a look at the real reason you want start penalties enabled. It isn't for realism.

Oh yeah, the old realism saw. While I'm sure the real race stewards for standing start races would love to be able to invoke an immediate penalty for drivers that jump the start, this setting would in no way mirror current reality.

An increase in realism can only be attained by a reduction of in game controls, which will inversely affect the time stewards and management must spend reviewing everything. The only reason the in game penalty controls exist is to compensate for the limitations of the physics engine to mimic reality in regards to shortcuts, damage and the general tendency of humans to stretch the rules of any environment, synthetic or not. Take a look at the real reason you want start penalties enabled. It isn't for realism.

I wasn't referring to wanting start penalties enabled, I was referring to the start being dependent on your ability to accurately time your launch to the count down timer. That's where realism is added.

It could add to the mayhem on a start too. If you're behind one or more people that get penalized, everyone else behind is going to be scrambling for a way around the stationary car(s). I can see situations where this could get :crazy:

I feel that this is the same as the shortcut penalties. I feel they accomplish little while adding difficulty to those behind. But I guess turning them off means there would be more complaints:grumpy: Of course if you get a shortcut penalty shouldn't that mean you have broken the OLR rules and should receive penalty points and probation:sly:

ah never mind just ignore me:dopey:

I wasn't referring to wanting start penalties enabled, I was referring to the start being dependent on your ability to accurately time your launch to the count down timer. That's where realism is added.

From here, it appears what you gentleman are referring to as realism is actually "fairness", at least in relation to in game penalty controls. In the real world these penalty controls are implemented after the fact by review of actions by humans. The game has these controls in place simply to reduce the manpower required to encourage/enforce fair play. I would argue that if all parties are subject to the same conditions, regardless of implementation and method, fairness is achieved. I am sublimely indifferent to which is used, so long as it's the same for everyone. In either case it will come down to whomever adapts best to the particular method being used at any given time.

If you're having trouble getting a good start I would advise trying the wet acceleration/braking license test. I went back some time ago in an effort to improve my trophy count and that test was one I made up almost 2 seconds just by improving my launch reaction.

I personally hate the false start setting.

99% of my racing is with out. With it on I forget to brake and get penalized. Ruined more races for me then my own driving mistakes. :(

It's useless. Not real. Nor will it effect first turn in my opinion.

Get a bad start and here comes desperation.

Yeah but you use a clutch so you have to heel toe the gas and brake to get your start don't you? Or left foot clutch and brake?

I haven't finished looking over the thread, but what are the target lap times for D1 for the 3 cars?
Is anyone planing practice in the next hour for D1?

OK, I think I have finally figured out a format for Mondays. A weekly rotation of events. One week will be monday mayhem, dirty racing and cat & mouse. One week will be manual monday, racing the previous sudays events with an h-gate and clutch. then a night for shuffle racing, and finally a night that winner picks one makes with damage on high, penalties off, and quick 2-3 lap races.

Hear Ye, Hear Ye, Hear Ye​

Announcing the October Lineup for S.N.A.I.L.I.E.N. SPEC Racing​

The Drivers List has been updated with Promotions and Relegations for the month of October.

Yet again, I'd like to point out there's no clear cut formula for getting promoted or relegated. We take into account a number of factors to determine candidates for promotion and relegation. Once we've identified the drivers, we analyze the data at our disposal and make sure the people being moved fit into the Division they're being moved to. Then we pull the trigger :dopey:

Why do we do this?

1. To congratulate you on a season well raced.
2. To get you in races, you will be racing in, not just driving.
3. To incent you to improve your driving and racecraft.
4. To make it possible for you to have fun playing GT5.

We want you to be in good, close, clean racing 👍

If you have any questions or concerns about promotion or relegation, feel free to pm me. I'd be more than happy to talk to you about it.

Cheers and good racing all!

kcheeb

Anyone needing to break in their 'Vette I will be doing a break in practice run, 56 laps at Suzuka, in about 30 minutes, NLT 1900 (7:00) ET in my lounge. Shoot me a FR if you aren't already.

Sorry for not posting recently guys. I've been busy with school. Anyways it looks like we've got some more S.N.A.L.I.E.N.S in D1. This will be a very competitive month.

Back