◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 149,040 comments
View media item 2540
The stewards have completed the necessary reviews and this week's prize winners are clear to make their selections. Good racing!

Prize winners are as posted in the results and are now official:​

The round that received the most elimination votes was:
Round 2 - McLaren 650S Gr.4 (RH) at Suzuka Circuit Full Course - S01 Afternoon (7 laps)
Therefore the entire combo has been dropped from next week's line-up. Since @Nicktune wins Prize A, he gets to choose an entirely new car and track combo to replace it.

The round that received the second most elimination votes was:
Round 1 - Toyota 86 GT '15 (SH) at Dragontrail International Raceway Seaside - S10 Early Morning (7 laps)
This means either the car or the track will be replaced for next week's line-up. Since @Oshawa-Joe gets Prize B, he has the option to freeze the car or the track, or he can give that option to the Prize C winner. If he gives the freeze away, then he gets to decide what car or track replaces the part of the combo that is left unfrozen by the Prize C winner.

Prize C goes to @Salty Toloom so he gets whichever option the Prize B winner does not select.

@Nicktune @Oshawa-Joe @Salty Toloom will be included in a conversation shortly.

@TexHill did you change your dns to something like cloudflare or Google? On just PS5 or on the router as well? I ask because I've been trying to learn and test some of this stuff.

Edit
With Prize B, I would like to freeze the car. I imagine the 86 GT will be a lot of fun on many tracks. Vamos!

Last edited:
I changed both to Cloudflare.
Looks like that is something most should try to do. It's fairly quick and easy...low hanging fruit.
I used an app to compare the ping to my isp dns vs Google and cloudflare. My isp was typically 3 to 4 times slower. Had no idea.

Last edited:
While it would probably be a good thing that all SNAILs are using the same DNS address, it isn't a guaranteed solution. When Kg and I discovered we couldn't connect to each other's lobbies the Cloudflare DNS solution was implemented without success. Cloudfare's DNS addresses are still set on my PS and router.

Methodical testing is required to identify where the problem is.

Still waiting for Oshawa to post up the pre-race "ritual" that most SNAILs did back in the GT5&6 days almost religiously.

While it would probably be a good thing that all SNAILs are using the same DNS address, it isn't a guaranteed solution. When Kg and I discovered we couldn't connect to each other's lobbies the Cloudflare DNS solution was implemented without success. Cloudfare's DNS addresses are still set on my PS and router.

Methodical testing is required to identify where the problem is.

Still waiting for Oshawa to post up the pre-race "ritual" that most SNAILs did back in the GT5&6 days almost religiously.
This ritual doesn't include sacrificing a chicken does it? If so, then I need to tell my wife that we're going to start having fried chicken for dinner on Mondays from now on.

Last edited:
This ritual doesn't include sacrificing a chicken does it? If so, then I need to tell my wife that we're going to start having fried chicken for dinner on Mondays from now on.
If I thought sacrificing livestock would help, I'd be slaughtering chickens and lambs with maniacal enthusiasm. :crazy::lol:

Since I already wrote it out in a convo with Joe, here's my pre race ritual;

1. Clear GT7 Network Cache
  2. Close game and shutdown PS
  3. Turn off/disconnect all devices using home network
  4. Power down router
  5. Restart Modem
  6. After modem has finished restart, power up router.
  7. After router restart complete, power up PS
  8. Run PS network connection test, if test normal next step, if not begin from step 1
  9. Launch GT7
  10. Go to Sport Mode and run connection test there, if normal go to multiplayer and find and join lobby. If not normal go back to step 1

If none of that helps, you can try Jobu
major league baseball GIF

Last edited:
Niagara's Weekly What I Saw Column:
20240707 Edition

Kudos for @A_Higher_Place and @Nicktune for attending the GT World Series events in Montréal last weekend . I'm kicking myself for skipping it. Nice to have some Snail's present.

We've had a massive division shake-up for July. I'm going to miss some racers but looking forward to racing with others that I haven't raced with in quite some time.

I saw the worse accident sequence I've ever seen in a Snail race. The chicane of death caused death and destruction early in the first race. @yuhboiari lost grip coming out of it and hit the far barrier. With the grid still tight, @basswerks1 couldn't avoid him and t-boned @yuhboiari. This sent both of them for a spin.
SHARE_20240709_0235560.jpeg

The sequence continues with @yuhboiari, still spining along the barrier, gets t-boned again, this time by @guitarmankhan. @yuhboiari is killed instantly.
SHARE_20240709_0237170.jpeg

This shot is from @guitarmankhan 's perpective just prior to that 2nd impact. @yuhboiari was heard saying on his radio "Tell my wife and kids I love them".
SHARE_20240709_0236520.jpeg

Thankfully, the carnage ends there. @basswerks1 , still spining from the 1st impact in this sequence, has his life spared due to the quick reactions of @Fudman420 and @racingchamp30 .
SHARE_20240709_0237470.jpeg

I like incorporating the civilians and fans into my pictures. I saw this photographer put down his carema breifly to take in the action at Suzuka.
SHARE_20240709_0238100.jpeg

I saw @Fudman420 lead @JamCar0ne and I for just about the entire Race #3. The three of us all had our FL's within .100 of each other and I assume we'll be spending lots of time together in July. I take a little credit for convincing @Fudman420 to make his return to Snail. He was one I measured myself against during the Porsche GT3 series we both participated in last winter. Happy to have him on the Grid.
SHARE_20240709_0238550.jpeg

I was ready to vote this combo off about 2 minutes after @CANOWORMS1 made his selection but I owe him an apology as I enjoyed it and clearly I'm not the only one as it survived another week.
SHARE_20240709_0239200.jpeg

I saw just about everybody go off at some point. In this pic, @Salty Toloom and @yuhboiari both went a little too deep and ended up in the gravel coming out of the esses at Atlanta.
SHARE_20240709_0239410.jpeg

Finally, I saw myself take the last righthander with either a bad line or too much speed. I cut some grass and destroyed a few of the sponsor's signs along the track.
SHARE_20240709_0240040.jpeg

That's what I saw this past Sunday. Apologies if these are getting too long. I left plenty of stuff on the cutting room floor.
See you at the car-show.

Last edited:

Kudos for @A_Higher_Place and @Nicktune for attending the GT World Series events in Montréal last weekend . I'm kicking myself for skipping it. Nice to have some Snail's present.

We've had a massive division shake-up for July. I'm going to miss some racers but looking forward to racing with others that I haven't raced with in quite some time.

I saw the worse accident sequence I've ever seen in a Snail race. The chicane of death caused death and destruction early in the first race. @yuhboiari lost grip coming out of it and hit the far barrier. With the grid still tight, @basswerks1 couldn't avoid him and t-boned @yuhboiari. This send both of them for a spin.
View attachment 1371125

The sequence continues with @yuhboiari, still spining along the barrier, gets t-boned again, this time by @guitarmankhan. @yuhboiari is killed instantly.
View attachment 1371130

This shot is from @guitarmankhan 's perpective just prior to that 2nd impact. @yuhboiari was heard saying on his radio "Tell my wife and kids I love them".
View attachment 1371132

Thankfully, the carnage ends there. @basswerks1 , still spining from the 1st impact in this sequence, has his life spared due to the quick reactions of @Fudman420 and @racingchamp30 .
View attachment 1371133

I like incorporating the civilians and fans into my pictures. I saw this photographer put down his carema breifly to take in the action at Suzuka.
View attachment 1371134

I saw @Fudman420 lead @JamCar0ne and I for just about the entire Race #3. The three of us all had our FL's within .100 of each other and I assume we'll be spending lots of time together in July. I take a little credit for convincing @Fudman420 to make his return to Snail. He was one I measured myself against during the Porsche GT3 series we both participated in last winter. Happy to have him on the Grid.
View attachment 1371135

I was ready to vote this combo off about 2 minutes after @CANOWORMS1 made his selection but I owe him an apology as I enjoyed it and clearly I'm not the only one as it survived another week.
View attachment 1371136

I saw just about everybody go off at some point. In this pic, @Salty Toloom and @yuhboiari both went a little too deep and ended up in the gravel coming out of the esses at Atlanta.
View attachment 1371137

Finally, I saw myself take the last righthander with either a bad line or too much speed. I cut some grass and destroyed a few of the sponsor's signs along the track.
View attachment 1371138

That's what I saw this past Sunday. Apologies if these are getting too long. I left plenty of stuff on the cutting room floor.
See you at the car-show.
great shots !!!!!

I have a 1Gb/1Gb fiber connection through AT&T, and my PS5 is hardwired to my Asus gaming router. My stepson is a network engineer. He and I went through all of the network settings on my PS5 and router last night, and he said that there is no way that my internet connection, router settings, or PS5 settings are the issue. He did say that there is a possibility of a DNS conflict between you and me. Doesn't mean that either one of us has a bad connection, just that our DNS settings are such that data is not going to the right address. So, I did make a change to my DNS settings last night.
Understood....let's hop on a lobby later and test to be sure, my internet isn't in that league but I am hardwired and do have a stable connection(I checked over all my stuff yesterday) and get this over with :-)

10 drivers in D1 and 9 in D2, its nice to see participation going back up especially through the summer. Nice photos and summary as usual @Buffalo_DRD

Unfortunately I still won't be back next sunday because I'm leaving early for a bike trip to our friendly neighbors south of Canada on monday morning and I don't want to be tired the whole day.

Quite a busy summer ahead, I stripped the old paint and stain off my backyard deck (almost 20x20 + the sides and ramps, what a pain in the ***) because I bought an above-ground pool and the company is coming to install it next week. That means I'll have more family and friends from out of town coming of course making me miss some sundays in August still. (Not complaining too much here of course haha)

I'll probably be able to make it in two weeks for a couple of sundays. I still have a trip to New York in August and a 2 week road trip in my Mustang with a buddy of mine in late September. After that I'll be back to the usual weekly rendez-vous on sunday nights.

Here's another batch of testing for both turtlesoup and Tex and anyone else curious. Visit speedtest.net and test to servers near each other's locations, similar to what I've done below. @turtlesoup868 , I'd need to confirm what ISP you're on there to get a more accurate test.

1720542362680.png

As a comparison, here's what I get to a server closer by.
1720542471643.png

My PC is not using my full DL capacity because it's not got priority on my router and the switches it's connected to are ancient. My PS connects straight to my router and the tests I run from it show as below;

1720542635217.png

I saw the worse accident sequence I've ever seen in a Snail race. The chicane of death caused death and destruction early in the first race. @yuhboiari lost grip coming out of it and hit the far barrier. With the grid still tight, @basswerks1 couldn't avoid him and t-boned @yuhboiari. This send both of them for a spin.
View attachment 1371125

View attachment 1371130

View attachment 1371132

View attachment 1371133

View attachment 1371134

View attachment 1371135

View attachment 1371136

View attachment 1371137

View attachment 1371138

See you at the car-show.
Last week was definitely not my week plysthe added pressure of being promoted to D1 got to me.. hopefully this week is better considering I'm goin back to using my wheel after almost a yr of being on controller

10 drivers in D1 and 9 in D2, its nice to see participation going back up especially through the summer. Nice photos and summary as usual @Buffalo_DRD

Unfortunately I still won't be back next sunday because I'm leaving early for a bike trip to our friendly neighbors south of Canada on monday morning and I don't want to be tired the whole day.

Quite a busy summer ahead, I stripped the old paint and stain off my backyard deck (almost 20x20 + the sides and ramps, what a pain in the ***) because I bought an above-ground pool and the company is coming to install it next week. That means I'll have more family and friends from out of town coming of course making me miss some sundays in August still. (Not complaining too much here of course haha)

I'll probably be able to make it in two weeks for a couple of sundays. I still have a trip to New York in August and a 2 week road trip in my Mustang with a buddy of mine in late September. After that I'll be back to the usual weekly rendez-vous on sunday nights.
Sounds like a lovely summer ahead! Enjoy yourself and the time with friends and family! Maybe once you're rusty, I'll stand a chance..

Understood....let's hop on a lobby later and test to be sure, my internet isn't in that league but I am hardwired and do have a stable connection(I checked over all my stuff yesterday) and get this over with :-)
It will have to be tomorrow night. My wife texted me that we have company coming over for dinner.

I just get the HP and Torque rpm from the app, curve from GT7.
Yeah, I don't really know how to read those yet - nor really know what they mean just by looking at the numbers.

This video: is helping me understanding optimal shifting points. I just don't know how to apply that to car stats yet. I figure it's time to start learning about the info I don't have to increase my overall speed. I usually watch others and shift when they shift but, I'd like to understand the 'why' myself.

Thanks for the suggestion.

In that particular car the torque (gray line) goes flat really early in the power curve, it doesn't start to drop off until almost 7K rpm. His video shows it at 6700 rpm. This appears to be the point when the HP goes flat.

1720570185532.png

This car has it's full torque available from around 2000rpm to that 6700revs. That's a monster power band by the way.

If it helps any, you can think of HP as how fast you can go and torque is how quickly you can get to how fast you can go. When the torque falls off, the quick part does too. In that video I suspect that car is BoPed or a power limit has been tuned in for whatever reason. Doesn't really matter. Torque almost always falls off before HP. When it does, your acceleration rate slows down as well. The torque curve is what you ought to be looking at for shift points. That graph is pretty useless identifying the exact RPM point. Probably why Oshawa was pointing you toward a more precise tool to inspect that data.

There's an old saying, I think Mario Andretti is credited with it, "HP sells cars, Torque wins races."

As some additional information, the below graph is off that VW we raced Sunday night.

1720571366709.png

The HP and torque utterly fall off a cliff somewhere between 6500 and 7000 rpm. Unless I'm mistaken about the graph, the motor should hit its rev limiter at 7500rpm. Since this car is normally turbocharged you can't click any of those options under Supercharger to get this graph. You can get to it by clicking the ECU option though. It'll be the same graph. At any rate, waiting to just before rev limit to shift in this car is losing gobs and gobs of acceleration. I was shifting somewhere between 6500-6900 Sunday night. If I left it in 6th all the way down the back straight I might've hit 164MPH. When I was shifting to 7th at or around that 6500-6900 I was hittting 168mph before braking for the chicane.

Any car with plenty of torque low in the RPM range can be what's called "short shifted". Basically you up shift so the rpms fall to the beginning of the torque peak.

Last edited:
Watching copa...Argentina Vs Canada.

But the key numbers to get from GTPLUS are the peak rpm for torque and peak for HP. Then compare it to the curve AND the indicated redline in car

The issue in where to shift is somewhat complicated and varies significantly based upon not only the power curve but also the gearing. In a production car, you often want to rev the engine far past the peak power, because the gearing is usually so wide and you want to keep the revs from dropping into the next gear.

As well, there are plenty of cars that benefit from short shifting. Many turbo cars and race cars with manipulated torque curves(like rally cars that make 300hp, but also 450ft-lbs at 3500rpm) are faster when you short shift.

This is also further complicated by different course layouts, and elevation changes. For example, some lower powered cars that you might otherwise short shift, like an old Beetle, you will want to leave in a lower gear when trying to climb Rahal straight at Laguna. This is because with wide gear spacing, often times the car can't climb into the powerband in the next gear and it may make sense to just float for a couple seconds in the lower gear until the hill levels off.

The only way to really know for sure, is testing against the clock. If you suspect there may be time to gain by changing shift points, run a few laps and shift 500rpm earlier, or later, and watch the timing.

There are also plenty of cars that have uneven gear spacing, where 2nd to 3rd has a big rpm drop, but maybe 4th to 5th is pretty tight. Sometimes you're revving the snot out of 2nd, and then short shifting 5th.

Horsepower is a function of torque. T*rpm/5252=HP. That's why on a graph the torque and horsepower lines always cross at 5252rpm.

If you want to think about it practically, 100ft-lbs or torque is the amount of power you can put through a crankshaft if you put 100lbs of your weight on a wrench attached to the crank that is 1 foot long. If you could manage to hit that wrench to spin the crank with your 100lbs of force 3000 times in one minute, you would be able to spin that crank and output about 57hp@3000rpm. Now, if you eat your wheaties and can hammer that wrench at 100lbs of force say 5000 times in a minute, you can get that crank to output about 95hp. You're still only producing the same amount of force, you're just doing it many more times in the same minute. The crank is making the same amount of power, you just made it turn a lot farther distance in the same amount of time(5000 times around instead of 3000) And since work is force over distance, presto, you get more work done in the same amout of time by hitting that wrench 5000 times in a minute instead of 3000. Torque is a force, rpm is a distance, and horsepower is an expression of work done, if you want to look at it verbally in a mathematical sense. Force over distance equals work. Increase either the force or the distance, and you get more work.

My uncle likes to repeat his old line; you can make up for a lack of big pistons with short gears. He even interjected it into a video one of his son's friends did on his '57 Corvette. The above math is where that saying comes from.

To be even more crude, for the old folks who remember Mickey trying to empty the water out with his bucket in the Sorcerer's Apprentice scene from Fantasia....torque is like the bucket, and horsepower is how many buckets he can sling in a minute. Increase either the size of the bucket, or how many buckets you can toss in a minute and you'll end up with more work done.

That is why, despite Hondas having a reputation for being 'peaky' because their horsepower peak is way up high, they have an extemely flat torque curve. So as a function of rpm, because the torque is relatively flat, the horsepower just continues to increase until the engine runs out of rpm. Anyway, now I'm well into the rambling part of my post, so I'll wrap it up here. :lol:

Latest Posts

Back