◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 149,631 comments
I would like to join you. PSN namw is tcrash15

Thanks for your interest, you have excellent timing! We're having our official league races tonight (after a two week break due to the PSN maintenance last week). Please proceed to steps 2 through 5 listed at the bottom of the original post. If you start today, you'll have time to complete Steps 3 and 4 in time to join our races tonight (which is Step 5). Hope to see online tonight!

fzappa, Im not going to assume what you know, but I would like to stress the break in procedure. it will make a huge difference, especially once your in division 1. its about a 20 pp difference in your car.

Already picked up 10pp with oil change. Some practice will pick up the rest. Thanks for the heads up.:)👍

About the whole three divisions thing, why not just have two div-2 lounges? You could call it div-2A and div-2B for lack of better names, and have the top one or two drivers from each one move up to div-1. That way you wouldn't have to "graduate" through two divisions to get to div-1.

About the whole three divisions thing, why not just have two div-2 lounges? You could call it div-2A and div-2B for lack of better names, and have the top one or two drivers from each one move up to div-1. That way you wouldn't have to "graduate" through two divisions to get to div-1.

Hey racefan, it's good to hear from you. Your idea is interesting, but then what happens to D1 drivers who get relegated? Do they go to D2A or D2B?

As for drivers who have to "graduate" through two divisions, is that really asking all that much? As cheeb said in an earlier post, if someone is unwilling to follow our Promotion & Relegation format, they're probably not a good fit for us anyways. Thoughts?

if we move down two d1 drivers, send one to d2a and one to d2b. take the top driver from each d2 room up. HOWEVER with that system 10 to 12 drivers are almost guaranteed to never race each other unless you randomly create the two d2 rooms each week. otherwise you're facing the same small group...know what i man?

I think three divisions is a solid idea. Even though a good percentage of D2 would be changing every week, I think it is better than trying to cram all of our members into two lounges. The last thing we need is lag with 14 or 15 drivers.. either way, i'm stoked to race with the new members tonight! See you guys there!

I think the idea is to promote close racing as much as possible. The best way to do that is to have drivers of similar abilities racing each other.

The promotion/relegation scheme will automatically give us that. People that do well will move up and people that finish at the bottom will move down. Either way drivers will end up racing drivers closer to their abilities, promoting closer racing.

My two cents.

^All good points. At the end of the day, having a Division1, Division2A, and Division2B will give us the three lounges we need to make room for everyone, but would only give us two levels of separation in skill/performance. On the other hand, having three entirely separate divisions will give us both the room we need as well as three separate levels of skill/performance. Ultimately, the goal is to produce the most competitive racing possible, so I feel like the more levels of separation the better.

More importantly than all of that racefan, are you able to connect to the Division1 lounge? Is there any chance you can try connecting to it before tonight? I just want to make sure we can avoid what happened last time when you're weren't able to connect to it.

The only concern I have about running 14 in a room is being bitten by the bug. It wouldn't be so bad if the bug hit everyone the same but it doesn't. Wheel users are automatically at a greater disadvantage when the bug hits. If everyone was using a wheel and dealing with the same thing then it wouldn't be a big deal to me.

Actually, I was even thinking about changing the promotion/relegation number down to one eventually! That is, once we've had time to figure out who belongs in which division for the most part. I too like the idea of keeping divisions stable, and promoting and relegating three from each division (which means six new drivers in Division2 each week) would not be acceptable.

I would just like to give a 👍 and to say that I really like this idea of only moving 1 person up & down from each of the 3 divisions. This would allow re-positioning of drivers based on their racing performance, and well as making it more challenging to get advancement. In addition, this would allow Division 2 to remain stable with only 2 new drivers introduced each week rather than 6!

I'm willing to help out as needed for the sake of the league. I really like this group, so far, and I'd like to help offer my support in any way I can.

With that being said - Mopar and I have opened rooms all week for practice and have been offering helpful tips and advice to make for more competitive racing. Last night we helped Zero, and a couple of others (sorry I cannot recall the names ATM) but I know that I helped Zero to shave off about 2 or 3 seconds from his lap times at Daytona & about .500 of a second for High Speed Ring. Mopar & I are more than willing hare our knowledge with anyone and everyone in the S.N.A.I.L. group. There isn't any magically Driving Secrets that will make you a Driving Super Star. However, there are driving techniques that will make you help you to be faster in a series our for a complex turn, and it's usually just 1 simple change that will make a huge difference. Mopar & I offer this knowledge freely because we love close competitive racing. ...I just thought I would throw that out there for anyone who may want it.

See you on the track tonight, and I'm really looking forward to the races tonight.

I just admit - I'm a little puzzled by the desire to call Div 3, D2B. No matter how you look at it, it's a 3rd division. Not not just call it what it is - Division 3. Is it the "stigma" of it being a 3rd division? Is it the fact that you (whomever you are) are afraid that you will not race your friend(s) because you might be put in different division? Did you father get run over by a Div. 3 driver or something? Help me out over here, what is the big deal?

More importantly than all of that racefan, are you able to connect to the Division1 lounge? Is there any chance you can try connecting to it before tonight? I just want to make sure we can avoid what happened last time when you're weren't able to connect to it.

That is a by-product of the host of the lounge or others in the lounge prior to racefan's arrive attempt to join said lounge. The best way to avoid that is clear the cache on the PS3 in the GT5 options, restart your router and/or modem prior to trying to join the lounge. If these 3 steps are not helpful, then you clearly have a network issue or your have a network issue with someone in the lounge.

To find out who you might have a network issue with, you can join the lounge first (making you the host) and then see who cannot join you. The person who cannot join you is the person with whom you have the network conflict.

I know that isn't much help, but once you have identified the issue, then you start to address it.

The only concern I have about running 14 in a room is being bitten by the bug. It wouldn't be so bad if the bug hit everyone the same but it doesn't. Wheel users are automatically at a greater disadvantage when the bug hits. If everyone was using a wheel and dealing with the same thing then it wouldn't be a big deal to me.

What "bug" are you referring to?

I fully accept that lag may be an issue tonight if everyone who's expected to race actually shows up to race. However, I don't really see an alternative. On a positive note, the GT5 "bug" has been rectified as far as I know. The only issue now is the usual lag issues of people disconnecting and the game freezing, but those have been issues for fully populated rooms as long as GT5 has been out. The only thing we can do is to take steps to minimize the possibility of lag. For example, everyone should:

1. Turn off all devices in your home that are connected to your network (PC's, laptops, tablets, internet TV's, etc)
2. Trim down your PSN friends list. Delete friends you don't game with anymore.
3. Clear your system cache and then reboot your PS3 before joining the races.

Furthermore, I would like to remind everyone to turn off their mics during the races. Or should we just disable mics altogether? I'm just worried that doing that might lead to delays and confusion. If anyone else can think of anything that would help, please let us know!

If we can just get through tonight with minimal issues, we should be set for three divisions of lag-free racing starting next week. 👍

I fully accept that lag may be an issue tonight if everyone who's expected to race actually shows up to race. However, I don't really see an alternative. On a positive note, the GT5 "bug" has been rectified as far as I know. The only issue now is the usual lag issues of people disconnecting and the game freezing, but those have been issues for fully populated rooms as long as GT5 has been out. The only thing we can do is to take steps to minimize the possibility of lag. For example, everyone should:

1. Turn off all devices in your home that are connected to your network (PC's, laptops, tablets, internet TV's, etc)
2. Trim down your PSN friends list. Delete friends you don't game with anymore.
3. Clear your system cache and then reboot your PS3 before joining the races.

Furthermore, I would like to remind everyone to turn off their mics during the races. Or should we just disable mics altogether? I'm just worried that doing that might lead to delays and confusion. If anyone else can think of anything that would help, please let us know!

If we can just get through tonight with minimal issues, we should be set for three divisions of lag-free racing starting next week. 👍

I don't think disabling the mic altogether is the best move. Yes, it will help with bandwidth, but it will prolong the time in-between races. Not to mention it will make minor communications between drivers during the race to help promote clean racing. The mics need to be on. I cannot speak for anyone but myself on this topic, but I'm willing take my chances with potential lag issues and accept the outcome it I'm the one the lag issue hits - even if it means I get DNF's and end up on the chopping block. it's part of the price of running a league like this when the room being full or nearly full.

I don't think the talk of a Division IIB was from a Div III stigma, Devious/Sharkie. The thought was more that that way the unstable Div II would be eliminated (with three promoted and three relegated there would be only six stable in that Division ((if there are 12 to begin with)) ) and it makes it so that there is only one step to Division I.

That said, I don't like the idea.

I also don't really like the idea of moving only one racer up or down following the races. Three may be too many, but I think that two would look much better. That just gives people that hint of leeway that makes promotion seem more likely.

The only problem that I see with that is that if two cars break away from the crowd and are happy there, they can draft away without having to vie for position, whereas a single promotion spot will leave them fighting, running a bit slower and more open to challenges from the pack.

Now, for either of these, don't think that I'm expecting my way or leaving. I'm happy here as long as the basic premise remains the same. Just sharing my opinion.

Regarding mics and network issues:

I don't have the world's best internet service. However, I find that if I can stick in a room for a few minutes I'm normally secure for the long haul.

I may not have a mic (yet), but yes: I would prefer to be able to finish a race with the chance of minor poor communication-based incidents than to not be able to race at all due to network connectivity/stability issues compounded by mic use.

After all, drivers can't communicate with each other on the track in real life (for the most part).

I only have trouble when I'm hosting and utilizing a microphone. I'm able to keep tally and update the spreadsheet for D1 as I have been, but if anyone wants updates every couple races, I'd look for someone willing to mic up for that. Make sense?

Plus, my times are about 90% of their potential when I'm mic'd...

I'm easily distracted in that regard by what others say.

^All good points. At the end of the day, having a Division1, Division2A, and Division2B will give us the three lounges we need to make room for everyone, but would only give us two levels of separation in skill/performance. On the other hand, having three entirely separate divisions will give us both the room we need as well as three separate levels of skill/performance. Ultimately, the goal is to produce the most competitive racing possible, so I feel like the more levels of separation the better.

Just gave the cars 10 laps of practice each. Just have one question, since I am new to the league and will be in division 2 racing,whos room will I be entering?

Back