◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 149,531 comments
I vote we try to use them. What about allowing each monthly divisional winner create a custom track? they could then be shared and chosen by winners the following month.

Gamble, Tez, Iroqouis and I ran a custom toscana track last night in a variety of Evos and Stis and I had a blast. My wagon was bringing up the rear but it was fun being on a unique track I did not have memorized.

I was kind of thinking the same thing. Example: each of the five division winners for November could design one track. It would have to be submitted by Dec. 15 and could not be chosen until after the first week in Jan. Repeat this process each month and we could have a library of tracks to choose from rather quickly.

fzappa
I vote to give custom tracks a try. Something different.

Zer05ive, that is not what I meant at all, I was trying to be silly. Sorry!

(On phone, in class, more later)

Last edited:
SNAIL OLR

J:
Cutting the chicanes or "shorting" the track at any point is strictly prohibited on all parts of the track, including the asphalt-areas in behind out-of track-lines. Track specific boundaries will be clarified for certain tracks if it is not generally obvious.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any reported or found instance where a driver fails to keep at least 2 wheels on or directly above the track will result in a 1 point penalty. Consider it more of an incentive to run clean laps as some drivers do put in more effort (braking to slow down) to keep their laps clean. This is usually applicable to the inside of the corner when shorting the track IE: 3 or 4 wheels on the grass in the first few corners at Trial Mountain. 2 Wheels on Kerb and 2 wheels on grass is clean.

I will add some picture examples later today.

Hey Gents, I am posting on my Iphone at work so I will keep this short and sweet. I am hoping to do some races with you guys from time to time and would like to join your group as a member of SNAIL. I believe that online spec racing with talented drivers that race hard but clean is a fantastic learning experience and mega fun! I won' be able to make every Sunday but would love to start hopping on occasionally as time allows. I haven't played GT5 since the GT Academy finals this year (lol) so my goal is to try and keep up with the mega Veloci2nr, JoeyFast, Nic-Kl, Deltanuef(whatever screen name he chooses to hide behind nowadays :)) and other Martians running now. I am mega-impressed by the organization and "I-racing" level of scrutiny that is applied to ensure a good, legitimate driving experience for all skill levels. Please let me know what I need to do join and we'll get er' done.
-Nick

Forcednduckshn
Hey Gents, I am posting on my Iphone at work so I will keep this short and sweet. I am hoping to do some races with you guys from time to time and would like to join your group as a member of SNAIL. I believe that online spec racing with talented drivers that race hard but clean is a fantastic learning experience and mega fun! I won' be able to make every Sunday but would love to start hopping on occasionally as time allows. I haven't played GT5 since the GT Academy finals this year (lol) so my goal is to try and keep up with the mega Veloci2nr, JoeyFast, Nic-Kl, Deltanuef(whatever screen name he chooses to hide behind nowadays :)) and other Martians running now. I am mega-impressed by the organization and "I-racing" level of scrutiny that is applied to ensure a good, legitimate driving experience for all skill levels. Please let me know what I need to do join and we'll get er' done.
-Nick

Hey Nick, just on my phone so can't post the details for joining til noon mountain time. Will do so then, glad to have you aboard 👍

If you're really keen there's a post a couple of pages back welcoming a couple of new S.N.A.I.L.s it has the details I'll be posting later.

I was kind of thinking the same thing. Example: each of the five division winners for November could design one track. It would have to be submitted by Dec. 15 and could not be chosen until after the first week in Jan. Repeat this process each month and we could have a library of tracks to choose from rather quickly.
👍👍

X3. I have to say any type of Tōge racing, with lots of elevations changes with the right car is great fun. Closest thing we could get to rally, without having poor racecraft , and it is somewhere I really succeed as a driver.

Oshawa, I'll beat you to the pics for examples of corner cutting. These are all from D1 this week. The colors have been changed to protect the identity of the guilty except for the one that is in color. That was me and it shows how little you have to be off to get a penalty. I probably gained next to nothing but it cost me a point.

EzJng.jpg

iyqZ1.jpg

EmTtp.jpg

lyU8u.jpg

5864q.jpg

X3. I have to say any type of Tōge racing, with lots of elevations changes with the right car is great fun. Closest thing we could get to rally, without having poor racecraft , and it is somewhere I really succeed as a driver.

Touge dude. I love that stuff! I was thinking of getting in on TOSS or whatever they go by now if they are still around. Months back I did a couple of touge nights as part of my Monday mayhem, but like all Monday night events, participation wasn't consistent enough.

Oshawa, I'll beat you to the pics for examples of corner cutting. These are all from D1 this week. The colors have been changed to protect the identity of the guilty except for the one that is in color. That was me and it shows how little you have to be off to get a penalty. I probably gained next to nothing but it cost me a point.

Thanks! Great examples of <2 wheels on track from Sunday night.

-Nick

Hey Forcednduckshn,

Thanks for joining S.N.A.I.L. 👍 And thanks for the compliment, we try very hard to be professional and fun :)

Please read the following:

We run a clean league by enforcing the S.N.A.I.L. OLR and we expect all of our drivers to know and follow The Good Racecraft Guide.
Please become versed in both.

Follow These Steps:
1. I add you to the drivers list as a New S.N.A.I.L. (Done)
2. You run the Time Trial.
3. You Private Message my GTPlanet account with your time from the time trial (no Sunday racing until this is completed).
4. I assign you to the appropriate Division, to give you the best racing possible.
5. A PSN friend request will be sent from the appropriate SNAIL_Division1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 account. That is where you race on Sunday night.
6. You drive fast and clean on Sunday :)

The first post has all the rules and regulations for S.N.A.I.L. It is the first place you need to check if you have a question. If it's not answered there, feel free to post your question on the thread.

The second post has the current race lineup for Sunday and is updated weekly.

If you have a preference for car/wheel colour and racing number, post your choices in this thread.
To avoid duplication, the currently claimed combinations can be found here.

During the week we run a number of different events, we encourage all S.N.A.I.L.s to join as many as possible.

Welcome aboard and enjoy :)

Glad I took my time at Trial Mountain.

Edit: Also, if you guys start running custom tracks I will probably look for the exit.

Last edited:
I have never saved or copied a custom track, so I was more talking about theoretical than anything, zer0. The "if i were king..." is a riff on Mel Brooks "It's good to be the king.... ahhhh!" - We'd all do things our own way, of course. I didn't intend to disparage any of the what/why of what we do or do not do at all. I swear my attempts at humor confirm my fears that I have a strange sense of humor, at best.

I think the frequent complaints I hear about the standard tracks when they are selected are what prompted me to ask about the feasibility of custom tracks. No room to pass on some tracks, crashes block tracks on others, the proverbial turn 1 bus-stop/chicane madness, and so on.

I like making some tougher tracks, but it's possible - if you're willing to go through 30-40 iterations of each track to get some good setups. Limiting the distance of the straights is the biggest challenge for me.

So - it's not impossible, it's just not worth the time at this point. I hear ya.

No worries on my end, thanks for your thoughtful reply.

What about allowing the ability to pick custom tracks to only those who who accomplish a somewhat difficult feat? For example, if a driver wins Prize A or Prize B (or a combination of both) in one season, then they could then be allowed to create a custom track that could then be added to the list of eligible tracks that can be selected. Then, if they win Prize A (or Prize B) again in that same season, they would be allowed to actually pick the track that they've already created (and was already added to the divisional accounts in advance).

This would allow said custom track to be added to the divisional lounged weeks or even months before it is actually selected. That fact alone would alleviate the problem of me having to race to get a randomly and hastily created tracked uploaded to each division in time for the practice races on Wednesday night.

Or what about letting the D1 champion from a given season be allowed to create a customer track?

Or what about letting the driver with the most "best racecraft" votes get to create a custom track?

I can tell you right now that getting everyone to install a new custom track on such short notice is not going to result in a good outcome.

However, if we slowly add custom tracks to the "list", then drivers would have plenty of time and to download the track. Thoughts?

I love ALL the ideas!

I feel custom tracks are a great part of the game, and help keep it fresh for us addicts. I don't think they belong in the Sunday lineup for 2 reasons; unfair advantage for the creator, and generally more blind turns with those tracks than others, which means if you don't have it memorized or are going really slow, you will crash. I do think we should use this feature, and I have seen it done in the past. Mostly a casual room by tezz or joby, and that's cool but what if 5-6 of us with tracks they made all get together and try them out?

How bout this? The late night league joby and myself are trying to throw together will allow created tracks without problem. With the lesser volume of people it will likely only be a one room ordeal that will hopefully grow. All dlc will be allowed, and we are still working on fine details. I think even standard cars can be allowed granted that everyone has that car, if not, duping is pretty simple to do. Anyone interested in a league after the Sunday races pm joby or myself, just so we can get an idea on interest

While I have had some fun on a select few custom tracks racing in public rooms run by some friends of mine. I would not be the happiest camper if we had to run custom tracks in SNAIL.

JoeW
While I have had some fun on a select few custom tracks racing in public rooms run by some friends of mine. I would not be the happiest camper if we had to run custom tracks in SNAIL.

We cannot race Nurb Nord but considering running customs? Hmmm....hmmm....hmmm...

We cannot race Nurb Nord but considering running customs? Hmmm....hmmm....hmmm...
It is just a time issue with the ring. Kinda hard to do qualifying in 10 minutes. Also the race would only be one lap:( But I do love the Nurb:)

If Nords is picked, count me out. Fine for doing TT's but terrible for racing since you can't go side-by-side anywhere other than the long straight.

tezgm99
If Nords is picked, count me out. Fine for doing TT's but terrible for racing since you can't go side-by-side anywhere other than the long straight.

I feel the exact same way! Awesome for time trials but the LAST term you will ever hear me use to refer to the Nurb is "race track." It's a course.

I may not make the first practice races. Today has been a typical day of me picking up others slack at work, been going non stop since two stocking an entire grocery store myself, and I desperately need a cold one before someone gets bludgeoned with a butternut squash.

Back