◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 149,531 comments
Hey guys. Are you doing any extra racing during the holiday break? Sundays are tough for me, but I should have time Fri and Saturday this week and I need to sharpen my skills.

Matt

I also agree that ping and network compatibility are far more important than actual speed.

If someone had a ping of 200 with a speed of 100/100 things would still be horribly laggy.

If someone had 100/100 and a ping of 7 but terrible network compatibility, several racers would get dropped time and again.

I'll shut up now, I'm supposed to be on "vacation." I guess the in-law's house isn't as fun as was expected…

None of the tracks are there. There is a guy over at the PS boards that has as direct a line to the powers that be as anyone has. He, and others who have called Sony, has stated that Sony is aware of the missing content but has not provided any sort of time table for them being made availiable again or if they will be made availiable again. Right now, it's pretty much anyone's guess as to when or if the tracks will come back to the store.

:banghead:

As to the DLC tracks not being in the PSN store. If what I've read regarding the newest retail version of gt5 (Gran Turismo 5: Academy Edition) is accurate, they've probably pulled the DLC tracks down so as not to compete with that. Looks like it's $30 at Amazon and reportedly includes all the DLC, except possibly those last 3 cars. Might be up for $20 or less on black Friday. I heard the xl edition will be up for sale at Amazon and Walmart for $10.00 on black Friday.

I don't think Gran Turismo 5: Academy Edition is available in the US, so the lack of DLC tracks on the US's PlayStation Store seems more of a FAIL than a sales strategy. Furthermore, it's not clear if Academy Edition even includes Motegi. This press release by PD lists all the DLC tracks except Motegi.

If anyone is even thinking about going to a triple-screen setup, be sure to snap these up! (Then save the DLC codes for any new SNAILs who don't have Spa ;))

That being said, none of this solves the current issue we're having of not being able to purchase Motegi. Does anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
dabneyd
Until you hit level 40, and then it's just earning fake money. I suppose you'd be one PS3 away from a triple screen setup.

Yeah. I did say "almost". The intent at this point would not be for my own gains, but for helping others with their bspec goals.

You guys realize it's always "fake money" right?:sly:

Well, yes, but I meant just fake money as opposed to fake money and XP for your bobs.

I also agree that ping and network compatibility are far more important than actual speed.

If someone had a ping of 200 with a speed of 100/100 things would still be horribly laggy.

If someone had 100/100 and a ping of 7 but terrible network compatibility, several racers would get dropped time and again.

I'll shut up now, I'm supposed to be on "vacation." I guess the in-law's house isn't as fun as was expected…

I'd hope that GT5 would take the ping time into account when it's synchronizing clocks before a race. In that case the ping would be almost irrelevant, and higher bandwidth would be advantageous for the host. That being said, consistency of the connection's quality would also be important. If your ping is swinging from single digits up to triple digits, you're gonna have a bad time. That's why wireless connections are not great; RF interference can have a huge effect on a WiFi connection's latency.

Throw a B-Spec racer (do not worry about level early on) into a Seasonal event. The Rome 500 PP and the 650 PP Indy Road Course are reasonably fast events. Even if you bring a slow car and come in dead last, it is big XP and decent funds to level up your "Bob" or B-Spec drivers. Eventually winning the 400 to 500 PP will up your earnings.

Once they are level 21+, run the Like The Wind at Indy (45 miles) four times, or repeat Seasonals for miles and profits.

Kuul's method has the advantage of improving your driving skills.

Most of te people use B-spec
but you are new on gt5 so i dont think your B-Spec is high. (just like me, i never use that haha)
i do it just while practicing on each track.. but most of the time i race without break in my cars :sly:

Thanks you guys, I very appreciate it! 👍

Hey guys. Are you doing any extra racing during the holiday break? Sundays are tough for me, but I should have time Fri and Saturday this week and I need to sharpen my skills.

Matt

Hi Matt, it's good to hear from you. I've just sent you a Friend Request from the SNAIL_Division2 account. For simplicity's sake, we now hold all of our non-Sunday night events in that lounge. Here's our schedule so that you know which cars to have ready this Friday and Saturday night. If you have any questions, just post them in the corresponding thread (the links are in the schedule). :)

Sorry for the late notice, but I will be unable to host Standard Car Thursdays this week due to some Thanksgiving obligations. I'm sure many of you will be busy as well, but if there are a lot of people who do want to race, someone else can feel free to step up and organize the event.

Can I also get an invite at codeblue111 from the SNAIL_Division2 account? I'd like to be able to participate in the additional non-Sunday events.
Thanks!

Hi Matt, it's good to hear from you. I've just sent you a Friend Request from the SNAIL_Division2 account. For simplicity's sake, we now hold all of our non-Sunday night events in that lounge. Here's our schedule so that you know which cars to have ready this Friday and Saturday night. If you have any questions, just post them in the corresponding thread (the links are in the schedule). :)

FYI, It seems that I'll still be in California when Sunday's races happen, so unless my plans change, I'm going to be out this week.

zeromisfit999
well given as no one has filed a complaint against me, nor do I think anyone has reason to do so... If all goes well, I'd like to take the subies to tokyo reverse, practiced about 10 laps on there and it was pretty darn fun. If anyone has any suggestions other than that, by all means voice your opinion.

Note: this not official, just a head's up as to what I'm interested in doing.

Tokyo is always fun... And despised by many!

Great choice if it sticks!

zer05ive
Jonsey, I'd put you down as a potential host but you hardly ever race! ;)

beal, mind if you down as a backup host for D4?

Wolfsatz, how is your connection compared to beal's?

We have not had any issues when i am hosting (that I am aware of) but i think my upload is not as good as Beals.... Checking later tonight when i get to 'mi casa es su casa'! :up:

Download of 16.50 Mbps / Upload of 5.04 with a 15 millisecond ping ( tested wirelessly)!

Last edited:
Can I also get an invite at codeblue111 from the SNAIL_Division2 account? I'd like to be able to participate in the additional non-Sunday events.
Thanks!

Yes, of course! I've just sent you a friend request from the SNAIL_Division2 account so now you have access to every event that we run throughout the week. 👍

It's probably a good idea to make a post in the threads you want to participate in so that the hosts know who you are when you show up in the lounge.

I find it absolutely awesome that we break language barriers. Considering learning some more advances spanish. I only know the super basics.

Che Boludoooooo ... You can also PM me of needed. I am also a available for any Spanglish issues.

Just one question: Boca or River?

Haha, in Argentina we used a lot the "Che boludo". :sly:
Thanks fellow. 👍
River Plate!! Biggest soccer club ever!

I think he is with Messi Haha
Until he help to Argentina win like he does in Barcelona he will be a "Pecho frio". :lol:
I find it absolutely awesome that we break language barriers. Considering learning some more advances spanish. I only know the super basics.
:cheers:
I know American sign language but I guess it doesn't help around here.
American sign language? What that is? :confused:

American sign language is a way to communicate with the Deaf. You use your hands to make symbols that represent things(letters, #, words, feelings, anything) It has its own grammar and structure, but each country has their own sign language. American Sign Language or ASL is a combination of French sign language and a sign language developed on Martha's Vinyard in the 1800's. Gaulladet University in Washington D.C(which you can sign by making a W sign and starting from your shoulder move your hand out in three movements away from you) is the largest school for the Deaf, and even has a Deaf school president.You can't type it because it isn't a written language. Ok class, lesson's over.

American sign language is a way to communicate with the Deaf. You use your hands to make symbols that represent things(letters, #, words, feelings, anything) It has its own grammar and structure, but each country has their own sign language. American Sign Language or ASL is a combination of French sign language and a sign language developed on Martha's Vinyard in the 1800's. Gaulladet University in Washington D.C(which you can sign by making a W sign and starting from your shoulder move your hand out in three movements away from you) is the largest school for the Deaf, and even has a Deaf school president.You can't type it because it isn't a written language. Ok class, lesson's over.

I was just being a smart ass. I had a girlfriend in high school that took an ASL class. (Insert inappropriate comment about being good with her hands here)

Funny story (at least to me) I once turned in an english paper to my favorite (not) teacher in a braille font and unfortunately she didn't find it as funny as me and my followers did. Ended in a trip to the office and because of a comment I made to her, a detention.

Update from race stewards:

We have issues with shortcutting / out of bounds again this week. Most of the issues are in D1. I watched replays from D2 and didn't find any. I also want to make it clear that Apmaddock has taken on the role of defining track boundaries. Please look out for ap's future posts and ask for clarification if there are concerns. I'm hoping track boundary info can be added to the race notice we receive each week from kcheeb - that might help us going forward.

Here are some key posts from the past week :

I have a question for our new "Track Boundary Guy" - not sure what the official title is yet.

Daytona RC, Turn 3 - I try very hard not to go wide left at the exit because of the white line. Is that the track boundary or can I run off into that area if needed? Same question regarding Turn 5 - going far left beyond the white line before turning for the corner.

I would say that the white line is the boundary throughout the whole track, so my guidelines (not official, wait for Ap's say-so) would be to always keep two wheels inside the line.

800px-Daytona_International_Speedway_-_Road_Course.svg.png

Yeah. The white lines are the boundary. Going wide at turn 3 or 5 could gain you a bit of speed for the straights afterward and you will be penalized if you slide out there intentionally. The road itself is wide enough. ;)

Now, regarding GVS:

grandvalleyspeedway.jpg

I feel that we should limit the track a bit in a couple of spots. First is down the main straight. There is a white line down the right side that is the track boundary, this has not been followed by some drivers. Driving out there really won't gain you much, anyway, so why bother?

Second is the white line on the outside of the turn after turn 12 and before the bridge. Keep inside of this line with at least two wheels. Driving outside of this can gain you speed for the run down the straight.

Note that these two at GVS are actually changes from how things have been run in the past, but they're logical enough that I think you knuckleheads can figure it out. ;)

Hi Gents, do we have the car/track lineup for this Sunday yet? I was hoping to make it in, since I am off from work Thurs Fri and want to start breaking in cars this time around!

Thanks,

Final steward report will be out in the next few hours declaring final decision on prize winners.

@ stewards - are all your comments in? We need more input on a couple of D2 complaints please.

Last edited:
I know it's been discussed at length, but I'm getting desperate.. Does anyone have any ideas on how someone can obtain the Motegi track pack other than purchasing it on the PlayStation Store? Is there a way to get a DLC code for it somewhere else? If we can't figure out a way to do this, we have no choice but to disallow Motegi (and all DLC tracks) until the PlayStation Store puts them back up for sale. :irked:

Last edited:
Back