◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 149,534 comments
zeromisfit999
Hey Hill are these going to be tuning prohibited races?

Tonight it will be and maybe for the rest of the month. Starting in January it will be back to a team and tuning series. With Christmas and new years it makes sense to take the month off from a points series.

Vol Jbolaz
I don't think I understand this comment.

The Lotus Esprit V8 I was speaking about wanting someone to pick is a premium car. Available in the new car dealer anytime.

...So I thought how could this apply to racing and what I came up with was a different view on accidents which is no matter what the other guy did I still put my car there. There is always something else you can do no matter what even if that action would lose you a spot in the race or sometimes you don't see it till after the race there is always some other option. As soon as I took that view I stopped having accidents and when I did I learned from them because instead of looking at the accident as he did something so there was nothing I could do it was now how could I have reacted to what he did so I wouldn't have been in an accident. It made me look at if the pass was a smart one or not...

Taking a clean, defensive line may indeed annoy those behind you. And, should everything be fair, it may prevent them from passing you. Hence, you win, or hold your position.

Some key points I've heard are, from my view (all readers may need to adjust a rear-view to 'ultra wide angle' mode):

1) I ran a clean (non-cheese-whiz/blocking/zig-zaggy) line
2) The racer behind me respected the lead position and a non-contact line he'd need to take to pass
3) I may need to change my racing line to an overall less effective line, but in so doing, I may force those behind me who are clean racers to an even worse, or significantly less favorable line to reduce their chance of passing me.
4) Don't screw up and go off the track.

Yes, #4... gets me all the time, especially after some *&##$#@ mentions that I've not screwed up yet... (wait, that was out loud...)

Ahem.... now, I recognize that when #4 happens, it's not always the other guy's fault. I look at how I went into a corner - what could I do - in any place, position 4 or position 10 - to take my 'best' line... based on who's behind me at that point.

Run clean, run clean, run clean, and be true to your line (but not at the expense of wrecking your race, or someone else's for principle).

When someone does mess you over, we do have a complaint process if they are not following clean racing rules.

YMMV.

I dont know if this has been discussed already, but maybe we could make a youtube channel for SNAIL and then post races so that if there are people that are gt5 gamers that dont have a gt planet account can find out about us and maybe get some new racers with us. Also it would be a good way for other people to see other races like from D1 and maybe pick up a few tips,

Taking a clean, defensive line may indeed annoy those behind you. And, should everything be fair, it may prevent them from passing you. Hence, you win, or hold your position.

Some key points I've heard are, from my view (all readers may need to adjust a rear-view to 'ultra wide angle' mode):

1) I ran a clean (non-cheese-whiz/blocking/zig-zaggy) line
2) The racer behind me respected the lead position and a non-contact line he'd need to take to pass
3) I may need to change my racing line to an overall less effective line, but in so doing, I may force those behind me who are clean racers to an even worse, or significantly less favorable line to reduce their chance of passing me.
4) Don't screw up and go off the track.

Yes, #4... gets me all the time, especially after some *&##$#@ mentions that I've not screwed up yet... (wait, that was out loud...)

Ahem.... now, I recognize that when #4 happens, it's not always the other guy's fault. I look at how I went into a corner - what could I do - in any place, position 4 or position 10 - to take my 'best' line... based on who's behind me at that point.

Run clean, run clean, run clean, and be true to your line (but not at the expense of wrecking your race, or someone else's for principle).

When someone does mess you over, we do have a complaint process if they are not following clean racing rules.

YMMV.

👍 Good stuff here, Handlebar. I especially like #4, because that's a key point. I make quite a few passes just by pressuring people until they make a mistake. If you don't have the pace to pass someone, patience is your friend. Keep on them, move over as if to pass, and force them into defensive lines and late-braking maneuvers they may not have practiced. Do it enough, and they're likely to eventually make a mistake. I hate to admit it, but that strategy works pretty well on me, too.

👍 Good stuff here, Handlebar. I especially like #4, because that's a key point. I make quite a few passes just by pressuring people until they make a mistake. If you don't have the pace to pass someone, patience is your friend. Keep on them, move over as if to pass, and force them into defensive lines and late-braking maneuvers they may not have practiced. Do it enough, and they're likely to eventually make a mistake. I hate to admit it, but that strategy works pretty well on me, too.

That's been one of the more painful, yet useful, lessons I've learned.

The guy behind me.... HE should be sweating how to pass me... I am going to calmly and ... carefully... run my best possible line.

I just hope nobody in D5 cares for the petunias, shrubs, or other landscaping within wipeout distance of the track. :scared:

In GVS that was exactly how I learned to pass people (But I do that alot already in my other racing as I am not very aggressive, I use faster lines/runs to pass normally ;), i.e Cutback) and collect my win and a 3rd from the back ;).

The Cali had naff brakes so if you braked too late into T1 while defending or just braking late you run wide or off. I noted this in practice and qualifing. In the race I would draft alongside a guy, fake a pass on the inside or outside and brake normally usually they fell for it and I passed :sly:.

I will try be there this week, I didn't do last week as I had a day shift.. (Noon till 8:30pm :ill:) so ended up falling asleep at 1:30-2am :lol:.

I like to think my style is the reason why I can race hard but stay clean at the same time :D.

Edit: Also the same trick rarely works on me :P.

Last edited:
I would like to join but I need to ask for different trail dates due to I go to bed at 10 pm on Sundays. Saturdays would be fine after 5. Please let me know if we can work this out

Edit: Also the same trick rarely works on me :P.

I think the gambler's fallacy gets me. For example, even though I know better, I'll brake late enough to hold the position, holding on to the ever diminishing hope of holding the spot even when the only 2 realistic options are that I will lose the position, or the passer will run wide himself. If I approach it more like a good poker player, and stick to a realistic line or braking point, I don't fall for it either. I wish I did that more often than I do :dunce:

I would like to join but I need to ask for different trail dates due to I go to bed at 10 pm on Sundays. Saturdays would be fine after 5. Please let me know if we can work this out

Uh... 50+ racers show at that time.

So....

Your Steward Report for the Week

Division 2

Drgreenthumb977 / Drrgreenthumb67
  • Level 1 - 4 points. Doubled to 8 for probation. 5 week probation reamins.

fzappa / tcrash15
  • Level 1 - 3 points. Halved to 2 for self-report
  • Level 2 - 8 points
  • Total: 10 points and three week probation

JoeW / Ice_Warden
  • Shortcutting penalty. 1 point

Division 4

Count 210 / zxxCOUNT210xxz
  • Level 1 - 1 point
  • Level 2 - 5 points
  • Total: 6 points and three week probation

jobyone / jobyone71
  • Unsafe re-entry. Level 2 - 6 points and two week probation

KuulKrinne / Kuulkriine
  • Level 1 - 4 points. Doubled to 8 for probation. Six week probation remains.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *​

These changes affect the final standings, however, the final prize winners have not changed. Kuulkriine's penalty reduced his total score, but he remained in the top prize spot by less than two points after the score adjustment. Congratulations!

Prizes may be claimed now. Thanks!

Full final results can be found here.

***If you were penalized and would like further explanation regarding the incident, just PM your Division Steward and they will let you know what the stewards saw and our opinions on it.***

let's get these prizes picked! I want to have a late night practice run if anyone is in =)

Edit: I just purchased the cars for the races in d2, and now my entry is being refused. Restarted, cleared cache, still to no avail... hmm

Last edited:
Thanks to the stewards who reviewed the incidents this week. I've updated the results post to reflect the penalties.

Prize winners, please read the bottom section of the results post very carefully. There are very details guidelines on what can and can't be selected for Prize A and Prize B.

GranStand_Bill, as the Prize C winner, you need to break the tie that exists between Round 1 and Round 3. The round you vote for have either the car or track changes for next week. The round you don't vote for will remain completely intact. (I'll PM you as well).

z06fun. I recognize that name from way back. Unfortunately, his car was always getting smaller as I looked forward. Gentlemen, we have another alien.

👍 Nice to have you here man! D1 is a blast to race in!! A field of super fast guys! :)

My thoughts on penalties:

I totally feel for you Owen, as I have totally been owned by the same penalty glitch. That said I think that the penalty system on the majority of tracks is the way to go for the purposes of eliminating shortcutting and ghosting cars that would otherwise ruin a lot of people's days. So even though there are some definite negatives, I feel that the positives of the weak penalty system outweigh them. I wish PD would just spend some time and make a proper penalty system!!! Bah.:yuck:

Okay, so Exo gets 0.1 extra point. I really hate that. There is a column way to the right that has an adjust point total. Just sort on that and don't give him an extra point. Over the month, I shouldn't lose by that tenth of a point (mind you, I won't be that lucky over the month).

My thoughts on penalties:

I totally feel for you Owen, as I have totally been owned by the same penalty glitch. That said I think that the penalty system on the majority of tracks is the way to go for the purposes of eliminating shortcutting and ghosting cars that would otherwise ruin a lot of people's days. So even though there are some definite negatives, I feel that the positives of the weak penalty system outweigh them. I wish PD would just spend some time and make a proper penalty system!!! Bah.:yuck:

I agree with you 100%. This endless debate about penalties would be a non-issue is the penalty system didn't suck so hard. It wouldn't be all that hard to improve it. All it would take is something simple like this.

Btw Nick, are you still planning to share your "normalizing" idea? Cuz I'm definitely still interested in hearing about it. :)

Okay, so Exo gets 0.1 extra point. I really hate that. There is a column way to the right that has an adjust point total. Just sort on that and don't give him an extra point. Over the month, I shouldn't lose by that tenth of a point (mind you, I won't be that lucky over the month).

I'm not sure how the 0.1 was figured but as far as points go, shouldn't we just keep it a tie? Although what comes to mind for tie breakers like this is: Tied individuals could set up a single race from one of the nights combos and winner gets 1 extra point to break the tie... Tongue in cheek, kinda of but the more I think, it could be a cool little side race! Whatcha all think??

Actually, the 0.1 is added simply to indicate who wins the tie-breaker for the purpose of who is listed above who in the results post. Tie-breakers are determined by who had more 1st place finishes, and if that is tied, we look at 2nd place finishes and so forth.

Those 0.1 points don't serve any other purchase other than that. They aren't "real" points. In other words, if you get ten 0.1's added, that doesn't mean they total up to equal one whole point. They're simply to help make it easier to sort the drivers in the correct order.

Vol, if there's a way to sort this better, please let me know. I think you tried to explain it one in the Google Doc chat once, but I didn't have time to read the instructions during the heat of battle. :lol:

let's get these prizes picked! I want to have a late night practice run if anyone is in =)

Edit: I just purchased the cars for the races in d2, and now my entry is being refused. Restarted, cleared cache, still to no avail... hmm

You still up Gamble?

Back