◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 149,539 comments
Hey fellas! I would like to be added to your racing league, Seems like a good group, and some decent driving, well, maybe except for the last race. If I may, the car I would like to pick is the (I believe) the 01 or 02 subi sports wagon/ impreza wagon wrx. I'll get the full name when Im back at home, and the track Id like to choose is Eiger Nordwand track short track/weather. Look forward to meeting you all sunday night!
My first post, way back in feb, the 17th. Didn't quite get the gist of the combo thing then. My how SNAIL has grown and evolved!

I really enjoyed driving the cobra. It was a combo that forced me to improve on a weakness, my car control. The cobra felt like a "crash course" in throttle and brake control to balance a car - pun intended.

I have no problem with having a combo like this on occasion to use as a learning experience. Thanks to who picked it!

I agree that the Cobra is fun, however, it does not make for close racing.

Luckily you are only one person;)

I am not at all surprised the Cobra is one and done. But I loved the combo and would happily run it again. I love the variety and also trying to get the most I can out of the combos we are given.

I am, but I am not the only one who detests poor combination choices. That said, I did enjoy driving the Cobra but I did not enjoy racing it.

The Cobra had a massive amount of grip, it's just an old car that's not as easy to drive as most people like. I found that if you had the brake balance right (I think I was running 5/3) and you feathered the brakes into a turn that thing would stick like glue! After that it was all a matter of throttle control and knowing where those unsettling bumps are on the track.

The Cobra is like the zr1; mind boggling fast, but no one has the patience to learn how to drive it.

Edit: Just saw that I might have sounded a bit arrogant. Not not sure how to fix that, no offense intended.

I agree. The Cobra is a really fun car to drive and is pretty rewarding after you get the hang of it. Coming from a controller user, the handling isn't as wild as it would probably be with a wheel but it all has to do with control. I ran a 1:35 today with no draft and I thought that was pretty good.

To give a little background on the car... Any time you take a short wheelbase 2500 pound car and stuff a big block in it, it WILL be tail-happy. The big block in this car happens to be a Ford 427, one of the biggest torque monsters to come out of the blue oval. Add that with the fact that is has a very short 4 speed tranny and you get a car that at exit speed will pull hard in 2nd or 3rd which means until you are adjusted to it, you should exit in 3rd. I have never driven a real '66 cobra but I can tell you there is a reason the suspension was designed around the 427.

Now that my rant is over, continue discussion.

I can deal with whatever anyone wants to choose. Some are better than others and some get the boot after one week. That's the beauty of having the league vote to eliminate a combo. The racing is usually better when your competitors are the biggest challenge and not keeping the car pointed the right direction. Keep in mind that we have less than a week to get ready for Sunday's races. For some, myself included, that's not enough time to get sufficient practice time in with an especially challenging combo.

The only thing I ask of anyone who gets to make a pick in the future. For the love of God, or whoever you pray to, please take a few minutes to test the car in the draft around the track and make sure we are not going to bounce off the rev limiter.

I agree with what has already been said. Excellent car to drive but not a very good car to race.

If you go back and watch the replays, aside from the massive amount of torque and limited amount of grip, the suspension is REALLY REALLY soft! Take a look at the full extension and compression of the suspension with the elevation changes at Trial Mountain and you'll see that the suspension is very soft.

I agree with what has already been said. Excellent car to drive but not a very good car to race.

If you go back and watch the replays, aside from the massive amount of torque and limited amount of grip, the suspension is REALLY REALLY soft! Take a look at the full extension and compression of the suspension with the elevation changes at Trial Mountain and you'll see that the suspension is very soft.

So is the suspension of is old Coupe de Ville, but that does not mean racing suspension, just 'bouncy'

I love racing cars that are tough to handle, but Trial Mountain was designed by a true sadist. It has more jumps than the old Nordschleife (most of which land you after the proper braking zone or turn-in for the next corner), several spots with camber variance both north/south and east/west in the same corner, and it seems that each corner is intentionally designed to put you off-line for the next.

It's been said before, but that's my $0.02. I say keep the monsters coming, just take them to a proper track.

Edit: That said, I firmly believe in letting the prize winners pick what they want to. I know I'm in the minority, but I would drive the cobra at Kart Space or the FGT at Chamonix. I might complain a bit, but I would still race :)

I agree, mostly, DrK.

I would do it for awhile. If the racing became increasingly 'not so close' then that would be the problem for me, I suppose.

I will be out of town this Sunday so I probably won't be able to partake in the event.

I could play on my ps3 controller, but I'm so used to my rig that it would be hard for me to play.

It was great racing with d5 this Sunday. I'm excited for the 30th in which I hopefully get to practice for.

Oh…My…God. If I can show up I'll be there for that! (I'd probably be on later, though. 11EST-ish.

…Steward Update…​

There are, umm, "plenty" of penalties this week. Results won't be final tonight.

In fact, it might be advantageous that it's two weeks until the next official races.

ahem.

To all the stewards; you all do a great job. I don't envy your job however. May you all "judge" with impartiality and fairness. 💡

Count210 your inbox is full.

AMWeaver47
I agree. The Cobra is a really fun car to drive and is pretty rewarding after you get the hang of it. Coming from a controller user, the handling isn't as wild as it would probably be with a wheel but it all has to do with control. I ran a 1:35 today with no draft and I thought that was pretty good.

To give a little background on the car... Any time you take a short wheelbase 2500 pound car and stuff a big block in it, it WILL be tail-happy. The big block in this car happens to be a Ford 427, one of the biggest torque monsters to come out of the blue oval. Add that with the fact that is has a very short 4 speed tranny and you get a car that at exit speed will pull hard in 2nd or 3rd which means until you are adjusted to it, you should exit in 3rd. I have never driven a real '66 cobra but I can tell you there is a reason the suspension was designed around the 427.

Now that my rant is over, continue discussion.

They offset the motor three inches to the right to offset the weight of the driver. Gotta keep that 50/50 weight distribution ;)

Hey Qwiet, here is the link to the steps I found to take apart the wheel, and it also explains a bit of the differences between the g27 and g25 internally as well. And here is the link to a thread showing all the screws on the motor you need to tighten.

Count210 your inbox is full.

They offset the motor three inches to the right to offset the weight of the driver. Gotta keep that 50/50 weight distribution ;)

I think I've heard that before. There's a fun fact for everyone! I'm glad I got to meet Carroll Shelby before he passed away. You would have thought we knew each other for years listening to our conversation.

Is anyone else watching American Chopper right now? I feel like the only person who still cares about the show.

Speaking of the Nurb...How about driving the Cobra around the Nord' for Monday Madness?

Monday Madness Nord Recyler💡

Come Race Sundays Cars @ the Nurb

M.M. Snail Recycler 1472 6118 3830 2746 6025👍

Bring your best Racecraft!

I think I've heard that before. There's a fun fact for everyone!

Before you put the hood scoop on and you just have a rectangular hole in the hood it looks wrong. You can clearly see that the motor is off center or at an angle. Then your next thought is the hood is crooked :scared:

AMWeaver47
I'm glad I got to meet Carroll Shelby before he passed away. You would have thought we knew each other for years listening to our conversation.

You lucky dog! I always heard he was a great guy, unfortunately I got involved in the Cobra scene a little too late to have met him. Maybe someday I can do this in his honor :)

AMWeaver47
Is anyone else watching American Chopper right now? I feel like the only person who still cares about the show.

I quit caring about that show after they quit fabricating and customizing bikes like they used to. After awhile it seemed like "well we really liked this frame so we painted it orange, got some chrome wheels, got a tank off the shelf and put a dent in it, then we sent it off to paint and asked him to make it look real nice. Yeah we really worked hard." They started doing that around the time I realized that Jesse James made most of his parts from scratch.

Edit: Holy crap the smilies have santa hats! :):):dopey::crazy::dunce::drool::sly: :scared: 💡:D:P;):lol::cool::cheers: :gtplanet:

I would like to commend the general level of 'even headedness' in most of the responses and racing complaints.

Civil discussions are most effective when they're 'civil' and these are no more than that - a discussion. Differing opinions happen, sometimes by accident. Good manners are seldom an accident.

Gentlemen, I retire for the eve, appreciative of the company that allows me to join them (even as the court jester).

When does the voting close? May have to break in a car or two since I wasn't in SNAIL for most of those combos.

When does the voting close? May have to break in a car or two since I wasn't in SNAIL for most of those combos.

Voting will close Tuesday night at 10pm Eastern / 7pm Pacific.

At that time, we'll announce the top three combos and possible even provide a link so that everyone can see how everyone else voted.

All I can say right now is that the voting is insanely close. All five tracks are within one or two votes of each other. :dunce:

My PM inbox is now empty (I believe) thought I cleared it last night before I went to bed but it evidently didn't take because it was still full when I checked this AM. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Back