◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 149,534 comments
How in the world do you get into that thing? Do you crawl in through the bottom or what? I'm going to assume you're not a large man so maybe the chair could support you climbing over it. I'm just wondering how it works with no access through the sides.

You have to jump in, Duke boys style!

How in the world do you get into that thing? Do you crawl in through the bottom or what? I'm going to assume you're not a large man so maybe the chair could support you climbing over it. I'm just wondering how it works with no access through the sides.

The original idea was to have the front section swing away from the chair to make it easier to get in but after mocking everything up I figured I didn't need the added complexity. You actually get in from the left side of the chair (the side without the shifter) and yes the chair does keep me from gaining any weight.:)

That is nice and portable. There are some nice PVC setups that are inexpensive to make.
index.php

Hello to all you S.N.A.I.L.s

As some of you remember Wolfsatz and I are looking to host a Friday Late Night Trackday and Cruise. Our original plan was to launch tonight. However life has goten in the way a bit. So we are going to focus on launching next week. My hope is to do another low key version tonight although it may start a bit later than 9:00. I will post a room number and if you want to come run some laps and then go for a free run drive on a custom Toscana track please drop in.

The track I have created is quite fun. It starts out with a nice tight section but then slowly opens up to the point where I was taking turns at 150mph+ in my unmodified RUF RGT (500pp). Should be a fun track to bring those fast exotics out of the garage.

jobyone
Should be a fun track to bring those fast exotics out of the garage.

Psh and be normal? I'll be showing up in my cobra gt.

I'm in d1 if anyone is interested. Some practicing, but mostly going to be random cars on fun tracks; maybe even a few custom ones I've made.

While my setup is pretty close to what it was I will be getting one of these to pull the wheel closer Smarty Plate. But I am interested in what you have done to the pedals.

I found my solution for the pedals in the garage. While going through some old stuff, I came across a Dell D-View notebook stand. I know it sounds odd, but the G27 pedals fit onto it perfectly and it allows me to adjust the angle of the pedals to whatever I want. Initially, I was looking into building something like this, but the notebook stand was quick, easy, and works very well. I don't even have to secure the pedals to the stand in any way. As long as your setup is facing a wall (like yours and mine) then the stand and pedals will stay perfectly in place.

I know this isn't as fancy as that smarty plate, but it's really uncanny how well it works for a purpose totally unrelated to what it was designed for. You can probably find one on craigslist for $10-$20 since it's such an old product.

Psh and be normal? I'll be showing up in my cobra gt.
It will fun to be on track with you now that you are in D3;) It will give me a chance to see how I stack up.

I found my solution for the pedals in the garage. While going through some old stuff, I came across a Dell D-View notebook stand. I know it sounds odd, but the G27 pedals fit onto it perfectly and it allows me to adjust the angle of the pedals to whatever I want. Initially, I was looking into building something like this, but the notebook stand was quick, easy, and works very well. I don't even have to secure the pedals to the stand in any way. As long as your setup is facing a wall (like yours and mine) then the stand and pedals will stay perfectly in place.

I know this isn't as fancy as that smarty plate, but it's really uncanny how well it works for a purpose totally unrelated to what it was designed for. You can probably find one on craigslist for $10-$20 since it's such an old product.

I will keep my eye out for one of those. I am curious to see what you did to pull the steering wheel further out.

7996315377_f69f75ef99_b.jpg

This is my setup, currently on hiatus until my cat5 comes in the mail. The seat was from a scrapyard 25$, wood and bolts/nuts, clamps 12$ computer table, owned 0$. I do like that folding chair setup, very compact.
7256544038_87bd4a3006_b.jpg

Ha, found this old picture in my flikr photostream. Anyone remember this? P.S. M1SSD3V10US is in it.

Ha, found this old picture in my flikr photostream. Anyone remember this? P.S. M1SSD3V10US is in it.

I remember what a pain in the ass getting these pictures was. No one wanted to sit still.

7996315377_f69f75ef99_b.jpg

This is my setup, currently on hiatus until my cat5 comes in the mail. The seat was from a scrapyard 25$, wood and bolts/nuts, clamps 12$ computer table, owned 0$. I do like that folding chair setup, very compact.
7256544038_87bd4a3006_b.jpg

You drunks!
I was not invited! :down:

Heading to D-1 in a few minutes for some practice ....... if any one is around, or interested.
TEX

Nice Goat, that matte blue cobra is me. And getting that all accomplished was way harder then it needed to be. The bridge, the straight, and doing that circle. Ahhh, memories.

I will keep my eye out for one of those. I am curious to see what you did to pull the steering wheel further out.

To pull the steering wheel further out, I bought two of these from Home Depot and then stacked them offset with the open sides facing each other (basically forming a 36" hollow steel bar). The reason this worked for me is because my desk furniture is in the shape of a "U". Therfore, I simply used C-clamps to fasten the ends of the steel bar to the sides of the "U". It's definitely not pretty, but man is it functional! The best part is that I can quickly adjust the steering wheel distance by simply loosening the C-clamps. I guess that's really the only advantage over the type of desk extension that you made.

I was originally looking at buying a Wheel Support Pro, but I was shocked by how much it cost. More importantly, it appears that company is out of business as you can't actually add anything to a cart or checkout. One of the main reasons I liked it was because it has a shifter mount included on it. On the other hand it would've only enabled me to get the steering wheel a couple inches closer to me, while my steel bar solution enabled me to move my steering wheel over 9 inches closer!

It's a shame that company is belly up because they also made this, which is easily the best pedal solution I've come across for those of us who racing in a rolling office chair. Just watch the video and you're see what I mean.. it's so adjustable! Anyways, I really can't believe that it took me almost two years to improve my ergonomics. For the first time in my GT5 experience, I actually feel like I'm driving a car instead of a chair! 💡

Now if I can only figure out how to mount my shifter in a realistic position.. :dopey:

Mayan Apocalypse!

Cmbeal not racing??
I reckon he's flying to Dubai for the 24 hour race as a relief driver for one of the GT Academy cars :sly:
Thanks for the heads up, Cal. Err I mean beal! :lol:

The streak should never die! Race one of the six to keep it alive!
No, like Cal, it doesn't count if you don't start.

I didn't realize how startled everyone would be when they found out that I won't be racing Sunday.

Handlebar - I highly doubt that me missing a night is going to end the world, but with it does end my streak for never missing a night. :(

tez - As much as I'd like to go there, you probably wouldn't get me out of the parking lot. The exotic dealer I'm visiting tomorrow doesn't stand a chance against everything in the UAE.

zer0 - Never been compared to anyone like Cal, nor is my name anywhere close. That was a great video and I'm honored to be compared to him.

Thrash & Dabneyd - I wish I could show up so and do one race to keep the streak going, but I doubt I'll be in any capacity to race anyway. I was watching a video someone had taken during there visit to the USS Intrepid, and I doubt my legs will want to race after that. Plus as dabneyd points out it wouldn't be right if I only show up for one race and have it count. If I can't make the entire night, then I would never want to have it showing that I got credit for being there.

Moving forward this will probably be my last post until late Sunday night or Monday morning(most likely then). I'll be sharing a sampling of the best pictures(not all of them as it would take up a few pages most likely) and of course all the cars I spot! Hope everyone has a great weekend of racing and I can't wait to get back on track next weekend! Take care all.:)

cmbeal317

Hey guys,

I was hoping I would start to feel better as the day went on but basically I am just not feeling well enough to be on track. So sorry to anyone hoping to do the trackday cruise. Hope to see you around soon.

To pull the steering wheel further out, I bought two of these from Home Depot and then stacked them offset with the open sides facing each other (basically forming a 36" hollow steel bar). The reason this worked for me is because my desk furniture is in the shape of a "U". Therfore, I simply used C-clamps to fasten the ends of the steel bar to the sides of the "U". It's definitely not pretty, but man is it functional! The best part is that I can quickly adjust the steering wheel distance by simply loosening the C-clamps. I guess that's really the only advantage over the type of desk extension that you made.

I was originally looking at buying a Wheel Support Pro, but I was shocked by how much it cost. More importantly, it appears that company is out of business as you can't actually add anything to a cart or checkout. One of the main reasons I liked it was because it has a shifter mount included on it. On the other hand it would've only enabled me to get the steering wheel a couple inches closer to me, while my steel bar solution enabled me to move my steering wheel over 9 inches closer!

It's a shame that company is belly up because they also made this, which is easily the best pedal solution I've come across for those of us who racing in a rolling office chair. Just watch the video and you're see what I mean.. it's so adjustable! Anyways, I really can't believe that it took me almost two years to improve my ergonomics. For the first time in my GT5 experience, I actually feel like I'm driving a car instead of a chair! 💡

Now if I can only figure out how to mount my shifter in a realistic position.. :dopey:
Cool. I am actually not using that desk extension. It just flexed to much. I have managed to get everything better laid out but still need about 4-6 inches that the Smarty plate should give me. Then raise the pedals and buy a good chair and I will be set. Well maybe after I get a butt kicker, and two more PS3's and 2 more monitors. Of course by then the PS4 will be out and probably cost $800. It never ends.:indiff:

I am starting to have Sunday withdrawals. I miss racing. Sucks seeing how people did and not being there.

Hey guys,

I was hoping I would start to feel better as the day went on but basically I am just not feeling well enough to be on track. So sorry to anyone hoping to do the trackday cruise. Hope to see you around soon.

That's no fun. Take some drugs, get some sleep, feel better. I've had some kind of flu or something all week. My productivity has been at about 30%. In fact, just typing this is taking way more concentration than it should. Now that I mention it, drugs and sleep don't sound too bad right about now. 💡

That's no fun. Take some drugs, get some sleep, feel better. I've had some kind of flu or something all week. My productivity has been at about 30%. In fact, just typing this is taking way more concentration than it should. Now that I mention it, drugs and sleep don't sound too bad right about now. 💡

I feel your pain my brothers... I feel like I have contracted leprosy or malaria and some kind of lung junk... Drugs, rest and maybe a little nip of brandy should have me back in order soon. I will be there Sunday night even if most of my limbs fall off... Just need to figure out how to fit some snot wipers to the race rig!!:yuck:

I feel your pain my brothers... I feel like I have contracted leprosy or malaria and some kind of lung junk... Drugs, rest and maybe a little nip of brandy should have me back in order soon. I will be there Sunday night even if most of my limbs fall off... Just need to figure out how to fit some snot wipers to the race rig!!:yuck:

That's what I hate about living alone, nobody brings you soup and Kleenex any more. As far as the snot wipers go, good luck.

Edit: Jay Leno is even making flu jokes!

This may not be recommended by the FDA but I take 10,000 mg of vitamin C daily during flu season and never get the flu. Also never ever get a flu shot.

This may not be recommended by the FDA but I take 10,000 mg of vitamin C daily during flu season and never get the flu. Also never ever get a flu shot.

Emergen-C! That stuff is great. Funny about that flu shot crap. I used to have to get it when I was in the service. And i did for two years after, so a total of 7 years, every year i had to take it, i got a really bad flu. I didn't take it this year and I'm still waiting to get sick. I was never an advocate for those things. When you consider that there are some 15+ flu strains floating around, and the best vaccine covers only 3, well, the"protection" it offers seems very much a waste.

Back