1976 Vega + V6 (rough plan)

Rotary Junkie

Premium
United States
Canton, MI
RJs_RX-7
Well, here goes.

My dad grabbed a 1976 Chevrolet Vega for free about a year ago. After getting it to run (Turned out to be bad connections on the fuel pump), it sat around collecting dust.

Due to a few C/H body vehicles in the family getting wrecked, we have a couple 3.8-3 and 3800 Buick V6s sitting around (FWD block). 190hp or so stock.

Now, the Vega, being a Michigan car that sat around for about 6 years on grass before we got it, has a good bit of rot; it needs floors and the front subframe is practically trashed. The exterior is good, only the doorskins are badly rotted (But we've got replacements! Came with the car). All chrome trim except a few pieces for the quarter windows is there.

On to the plan:

GM's FWD trans for the 3.8/3800 (early 3800) has the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the 700-4R used behind V-6 Camaros and 2.8l S-trucks. So a 3800 will bolt up to a RWD transmission after all.

Biggest problem in our face is the front suspension/subframe/motor mounts. Since the front subframe is shot anyways, we get to fabricate our own. So front suspension is pretty much open, and motor mounts will be the least of our worries.

So.. 200hp in a car this light (2500lbs or so) is a 12-second ride at the 'strip.

The current 7.5" should be enough, but it will need a limited slip.

So: 12 second car, dirt cheap (3-5k at most), dead nuts reliable.

I've got two years before I need a car, and this makes too much sense to NOT do.

Thoughts?

Honestly, it sounds like a fun engineering project that may have some excellent benefits!

I'm certain my brother would be a bit jealous of you...

I've never actually seen a 3800 swap into a Vega, and I'm very interested. It seems like most projects I've seen have had 350s or 502s. I'd bet that it would be a blast to drive, and honestly, doesn't seem like it would be too hard on gas either.

I'd say do it, if you could find a salvage front end out of a C4, or maybe a Mustang II; It would be pretty decent.

Well, I know that my dad's Park Avenue gets 30mpg on the freeway with the same motor.

So, no, it won't be bad on gas. At all.

Probably the main reason you haven't seen a 3800 swap in a Vega is because it's a FWD motor :lol:.

Isn't a big block a bit much? Jesus, I'd hate to try and turn with that. 80/20 weight distribution here we come!

Thankfully, the 3800 isn't too horridly heavy, so the car won't be TOO badly thrown off balance.

I plan on opening up the fenders front and rear to clear 245/50/R15s or better, and clear 26x10.5s out back for trips to the 'Strip.

Actually, my estimated cost may be a bit high to boot...

EDIT: Front suspension is going to be a little on the odd side. It involves C/H body control arms mounted on a custom k-member.

I don't think it will be a 12-second car, but I say go for it since you have the car and the spare engines. Have fun!

A nice idea! I've always liked the Cosworth Vega models, very ahead of their time (Think AE86 ten years earlier) if rather unreliable (though not with iron cylinder liners) and quick to rust.

The 3800 should be a good swap. it'll be a bit more balanced than a SBC in the same car, and, while I think 12 seconds is a bit optimistic, a good 13-sec car would probably not be out of the question. See if you can fit the 3800 series II blower to it. 240hp.

You probably wont get into the 12s unless you get the car lighter or add some more hp. Probably low 13s if your lucky. If you can get the car under 2500lbs or get over 200 hp then you might break into the 12s but thats with perfect traction. Also keep in mind you add weight when you add a driver. Sounds like it could be a fun project. Those 3.8 engines are pretty strong.

💡

Find a wrecked Buick Regal GS with the supercharger? pull the blower, sell usable parts, and then recycle it. You win either way.

Well, it's the old motor (3800 Series 1), so the blower won't fit.

But I think that we can cure that with a bit of high-compression magic. (But that adds a custom cam that is too wonky for most companies to be able to make)

Want details?

Well, here goes.

My dad grabbed a 1976 Chevrolet Vega for free about a year ago. After getting it to run (Turned out to be bad connections on the fuel pump), it sat around collecting dust.

The 1976 Chevrolet Vega has a electric fuel pump?

Shouldn't be a problem. Even Chevrolet was putting a 265 cu V-8 in that car towards the end of the run. And the early cars could be had with a 2.8L/173 CID V-6 back in the day. My old man almost bought one for me back in the late '70's.:D
Bless him for abandoning that idea, and giving me the T"bird!
Getting an engine from a FWD to run in a RWD car might be a problem as they turn all the driveline parts in the wrong direction, if my memory serves.
But surely, there is some sort of adapter for that by now.

*Click*

*Click*

Nothing on either one of you. 1976 was the last FULL year of production, 1977 had only a partial run.

No computers in sight, either. The Cosworth Vegas MIGHT have had mechanical fuel injection, but...

No V-8, ever. Biggest engine to ever touch the basic chassis was a 231 V-6.

Yes, it has an electric fuel pump. But it's 100 percent st00pid under the hood. Only emissions control it has is a 1970's pellet cat.

EDIT: Wait, I stand corrected. Monza was available with the 267 V8. But not the Vega.

Edit again. The car:
MVC-027L.jpg

Cossies had troublesome EFI, but EFI, nonetheless.

Looking forward to the Buick V6 rebuild, though. that car's suprisingly rust-free, too...

"That car's surprisingly rust-free too..."

And then you look under it. :lol:

Thanks for the correction on the Cossies.

Tophaticent: But a Monza is NOT a Vega. :P

It shall be fun.

Unfortunately, YOU CAN'T GET A SOLID ROLLER FOR A 3800! Gah!
Guess we'll have to get a custom core done, then send THAT out to be ground to our specs.

And, of course, this thing won't be quite right in the head. Methinks 325hp NA is quite realistic.

Now for the funny bit: None of the three cars visible in that pic are titled and driven. The F-150 killed a timing chain (And a bank of cylinders, most likely, but that's why we got it for 700 bucks), the LeSabre has electrical gremlins, and the Vega has tires that are basically square. (Well, it sat before we got it then sat some more)

No a Monza is not a Vega. In name only.
Just like the second generation Capri wasn't a Mustang
Nor was the Cougar a T-bird.
Just the parts were interchangable.:lol:

I had 2 friends in High School (many years ago) that had put a V-8 in a Vega Wagon.
The nicer of the two was a poked, stroked 350 in a very nice oil black wagon.

The other one was a rat. It even had a Rat motor in it.:eek:
Yes, a 454 shoe-horned in to a Vega. He kept killing rear ends cause he kept building them with 10-bolt rears instead of a 12-bolt or a Dana.

My dad kept annihilating 7.5" rears in his GT Wagon back when he had it.

And he just had a hot 4 banger with a stick.

The Vega never had some of the equipment options of the Monza. (Nothing stronger than the Cossie)

The other one was a rat. It even had a Rat motor in it.
Yes, a 454 shoe-horned in to a Vega. He kept killing rear ends cause he kept building them with 10-bolt rears instead of a 12-bolt or a Dana.

:eek::eek::eek:

That's amazing. A 454 into a car that small? The Rover/Buick 215 into a Datsun 510 just got outdone.

YSSMAN mentioned 502's in Vegas. Same physical size as a 454, but...

Oh, and how's a 427 Beetle?

Or a 350 Mini? (The original, no less!)

Tophaticent: But a Monza is NOT a Vega. :P
Nope. The Monza was the fast one. Similar to how a GMC Typhoon is not a Chevy Blazer (that reminds me, if a 3800 V6 will fit, and a small block would fit, what is to stop a 4300 from fitting? Not that one would want to do that, but still).
Rotary Junkie
Well, it's the old motor (3800 Series 1), so the blower won't fit.
You could get supercharged versions of the engine for as long as it was called the 3800. They could be had in every FWD land barge GM sold in the early 90's.
Besides, even the pre-3800 series Buick V6s (as in, pre-1988) ones took ridiculously well to turbocharging. Make your own Trans Am Turbo!

Back