2012 BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe vs. 2012 Mercedes CLS and now Audi A7

• Thread starter Prince.M5
  • 27 comments
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
CHVRCHES_GTP
Auto Bild
The German journalists at Auto Bild jump ahead of time and compare what could become one of the most fun and exciting four-door coupes that will drive a fierce competition between BMW and the Stuttgart-based, Mercedes-Benz.

The comparison puts head-t0-head the newly unveiled 2012 BMW Gran Coupe (future 6 Series Gran Coupe) and its counterpart, the second generation 2012 Mercedes-Benz CLS due to be unveiled this fall at Paris Motor Show.

Judging by the first photos, BMW Gran Coupe is an emotional concept, one that will please even the core enthusiasts. While the 5 Gran Turismo was considered to be an innovator in its segment, the new Gran Coupe joins an already well established and competitive premium segment where currently, Mercedes, Audi and Porsche have the reign. Labeled as 6 Series Gran Coupe, the new model will sit at the top of BMW’s line-up.

bmw-gran-coupe-vs-mercedes-benz-cls.jpg

The BMW Gran Coupe is labeled as a 4-door coupe type of vehicle with a distinctive sporty character and emphasizes the new design language into a single product: a sleek, dynamic and “good looking” automobile.

Engine wise, the BMW Gran Coupe is rumored to be offered in a wide range of powerplants. As an entry-level model, the 635i powered by the 3.0 liter turbocharged unit with 306 hp. Next, the 650i using the same engine as the new 550i, a 4.4-liter V8 turbo with 407 hp.

bmw-gran-coupe-vs-mercedes-benz-cls-1.jpg

Diesel fans will get to enjoy the 635d with a 3.0 liter bi-turbo and 300 hp underneath the hood. The rumor of the day says that an M-like variant of the Gran Coupe could be offered, powered by a modified twin-turbo V8 engine developing 585 hp, similar to the upcoming M5.

bmw-gran-coupe-vs-mercedes-benz-cls-2.jpg

The popular Mercedes Benz CLS introduced in 2004 goes through a major redesign. The nose is reshaped with a larger grille, more sculpting to the front bumper, and bigger headlights. The grille has to grow to match up with the taller hood, raised to provide more space between sheetmetal and hard bits in accordance with stringent new European pedestrian-protection standards.

Like the rest of the Mercedes-Benz lineup, the 2012 CLS gets a more muscular, sharp corners look.

The rumormill churns that the second generation Mercedes-Benz CLS is expected to be available in four engine variants, split equally between petrol and diesel. The two petrol models could be the CLS350 CGI and the CLS550 CGI. The first will feature the new direct-injection 3.5 liter V6 engine with an output of 301 hp and 368 Nm (272 lb-ft) of torque, while the 550 CGI will feature a new 4.6 liter twin-turbocharged V8 that delivers 429 hp and 700 Nm (516 lb-ft) of torque.

The diesel engines are rumored to be the 350 CDI and 250 CDI. First one is powered by a 3.0 liter V6 producing 252 hp. Second diesel models is using a four-cylinder diesel engine producing 204 horsepower.

The CLS 63 AMG model may be powered by a 5.5 liter engine with 571 hp .

The BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe is expected to be revealed next year, while the 2012 Mercedes-Benz CLS will make its debut in October at Paris Motor Show.

So which one do you guys prefer? CLS or Gran Coupe? In my opinion, I would go straight to Gran Coupe as it looks more beautiful and modern + emotional to my eyes while the CLS front is a bit C-Class-ish and too boxy, the rear is like a Nissan Maxima somehow. I prefer the predecessor of the CLS with much better styling in my opinion ;)

Last edited:
I'm on board too. Though they've taken their time to come up with a CLS rival, haven't they?

I'd take the front of the Beamer with the rear of the Merc.

The Jaguar XJ still beats both for looks regardless though.

The BMW does not look like a BMW the most in the rear.
Plus, the MB looks like a 2018 model. (A MB that should be released in that year.)

Aaaammm... I'm not sure what are you trying to say but it has been with BMW since 2006 with the BMW CS Concept - although it may look a bit away from other BMW but this is the new BMW design direction anyway with the L-Chaped tail light etc. - designed by Antoine Habib who is also the designer of the CLS up there.

Ardius
The Jaguar XJ still beats both for looks regardless though.

Agreed... The XJ is such a beauty but I'm wondering why is the top of the front bumper is a bit BMW-ish and the side A6-ish? Think this is a rendering only but it is a looker!

jaguar-prepares-xj-sw.jpg

Last edited:
The Gen Coupe is beautiful, imo. But, I did get a chance to get an in-depth look at the XJ this weekend, and it's hard comparison, really. The XJ is amazing, nothing more to be said. Just a hard car to really top right now.

So, gonna have to have some hands-on time with the GenCoupe to make my decision. :D

Aaaammm... I'm not sure what are you trying to say but it has been with BMW since 2006 with the BMW CS Concept - although it may look a bit away from other BMW but this is the new BMW design direction anyway with the L-Chaped tail light etc. - designed by Antoine Habib who is also the designer of the CLS up there.

It just does not look like a BMW. Probably more like a Buick.

I'd take BMW. The CLS' hanging arse is disgusting sight, be it in a picture or real life..

6 series has a bit too many lines in the front and that aluminum thing by the exhausts should be removed. It also looks quite high from behind, the bumper should be dragged down just a bit so it would match the sideskirts (see profile picture).

But still I think it looks good. The rear lights design is beautiful! :)

The rear of the BMW looks like an Alfa Romeo. That was until I took a closer look at the badge.

Oh my ... , i havent seen the new CLS since just now, i really liked the previous version but they killed this one. Mercedes seem to be making everything boxy again. :nervous:👎

So it will be the BMW then, the front and sides look good, the rear looks really out of place. :indiff:

Many still hesitate of the rear of the BMW and Mercedes but I found a picture courtesy of BMWBLOG.com featuring the upcoming Audi A7 which is a direct competitor to the 6-Series GC and the CLS...

audi-a7-bmw-gran-coupe-mercedes-cls-1.jpg

I am not sure of your guys taste but the worst in the picture in my opinion is the Audi. The slope makes it look like a fat A4. The Mercedes meanwhile looks like a Nissan Maxima. Honestly I still tip the 6-Series GC as the best eventhough the production unit will be a little bit different than the concept.

Many still hesitate of the rear of the BMW and Mercedes but I found a picture courtesy of BMWBLOG.com featuring the upcoming Audi A7 which is a direct competitor to the 6-Series GC and the CLS...

*Snip*

I am not sure of your guys taste but the worst in the picture in my opinion is the Audi. The slope makes it look like a fat A4. The Mercedes meanwhile looks like a Nissan Maxima. Honestly I still tip the 6-Series GC as the best eventhough the production unit will be a little bit different than the concept.

OH GOD THEY ALL LOOK THE SAME. I thought we'd moved away from having 4 door saloons look identical to each other. In fact I thought that trend ended somewhere in the late 70s.

audi-a7-bmw-gran-coupe-mercedes-cls-1.jpg

maxima-2400-44-580op.jpg

Unintentionally, the Merc does look like the Japanese sedan. :lol:

Designwise, BMW and Mercedes lead the game here...

Audi looks :nervous: :indiff: :guilty:

I hate to say it but I can't stand the "4-Door Coupe" idea.
1. It's still a sedan
2. Less room for back seat occupants
3. Less trunk space

Take the 2011 Aston Martin Rapide for example. Yes the car is stunning. But the backseat can hardly hold 2 kids. It looks no better than say, a DB9. Just in my opinion.

I hate to say it but I can't stand the "4-Door Coupe" idea.
1. It's still a sedan
2. Less room for back seat occupants
3. Less trunk space

Take the 2011 Aston Martin Rapide for example. Yes the car is stunning. But the backseat can hardly hold 2 kids. It looks no better than say, a DB9. Just in my opinion.

Simply this idea was intended for style and hardly for practicality. I sat in a CLS recently but had no problem with it. The Rapide indeed looks a bit too small but by looking at the 6-Series door, I think it is the most spacious of all...

Well yes the A7 really looks soo out of place... The side is like a fresh copy of Panamera. :ill:

08110_2009_hyundai_genesis_new2.jpg

Hyundai-Genesis-sedan-back.jpg

hyundai-cc-2010-002-copy.jpg

picture.php

2010-lexus-ls-600h-l+_10_.jpg

infiniti-m-2010-2.jpg

They are all starting to look a like to me.

Last edited:
Back