2024 Formula 1 Constructors threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 816 comments
Weren't both Mclarens slower than both Ferraris in straight line speed with and without DRS though?
Virtually identical either way. Maybe the benefit is to reduce the disadvantage on the straights vs the other top teams.

IMG_4689.jpeg

Last edited:
Virtually identical either way. Maybe the benefit is to reduce the disadvantage on the straights vs the other top teams.
Seems to me that the advantage McLaren were looking for was not to be any quicker on the straights, but to have more downforce through the corners. They can essentially run 'more wing' than the other teams yet loose little to no speed difference on the long straights. With DRS activated they were slower (if only by a touch) then their rivals, but when closed they were there or thereabouts, which to me sounds like their closed wing is artificially DRSing due to some flexing trickery, but trickery that doesn't fall foul of the regs.

Last edited:
but trickery that doesn't fall foul of the regs.
Other teams will be quick to try and get it banned though.

Funnily enough I was recently watching the 1998 season review where the 1997 and 1998 McLarens' independent rear brakes caused an issue and Ferrari successfully protested to get it banned. Ron Dennis quite pertinently commented that "the only response that a rival team has is to try and find a way to have it banned rather than rise to the technical challenge."

And I'm sure McLaren has done the same in the past as well with other teams' trickery. Standard F1 dummy-throwing.

The other teams (IIRC Red Bull mostly) were pretty up front about how expensive developing their own DAS system would be, so getting it banned was the cheapest way of levelling that playing field.

Seems to me that the advantage McLaren were looking for was not to be any quicker on the straights, but to have more downforce through the corners. They can essentially run 'more wing' than the other teams yet loose little to no speed difference on the long straights. With DRS activated they were slower (if only by a touch) then their rivals, but when closed they were there or thereabouts, which to me sounds like their closed wing is artificially DRSing due to some flexing trickery, but trickery that doesn't fall foul of the regs.
This is plausible but a counter points:
  • If the 'more wing' was significant wouldn't Piatri have been able to pull a gap in the middle sector and break the DRS?
  • Did LeClerc seemed to run many more hard middle sectors in dirty air to stay in DRS zone - Piastri wasn't able to continue in the first stint with a serious chase. Or he/team felt/knew that it would damage the tyres too much even if they were running 'more wing' than the rival ahead?

I think it's a tea cup storm and don't think it made the difference. If LeClerc defended a little harder after the pitstop and forced Piastri to run dirty air for 4 or 5 more laps then he would have cruised to win.

The race was amazing because there genuinely seemed like almost no difference in car performance and the result was almost completely down to the drivers actions.

The other teams (IIRC Red Bull mostly) were pretty up front about how expensive developing their own DAS system would be, so getting it banned was the cheapest way of levelling that playing field.
This is what it comes down to. It'll get outlawed in the off season, Mclaren have just been very clever with the design to ensure it complies with all the regulations, both static and from the rear facing camera with the sensors.

Last edited:
Back