2024 Formula 1 Drivers threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 738 comments
If Leclerc is smart, he'll do anything to get Hamilton's seat when he retires. If he stays at Ferrari, he'll only ever win a championship  despite driving for Ferrari. They might build a car that is too fast to be defeated at some point, but they won't have competent management any time soon. And Hamilton's retirement might be the last time a seat opens up at Mercedes for a long time.

If Leclerc is smart, he'll do anything to get Hamilton's seat when he retires. If he stays at Ferrari, he'll only ever win a championship  despite driving for Ferrari. They might build a car that is too fast to be defeated at some point, but they won't have competent management any time soon. And Hamilton's retirement might be the last time a seat opens up at Mercedes for a long time.
I think the lure of being the one to end Ferrari’s barren run will keep him there.

"I can fix them!"

Good luck, Charles.
Nando and Seb couldn't do it, third time lucky?

Joking aside there's a reason the very top drivers, Ayrton & Lewis apart, end up at Ferrari at some point in their career. A championship there seems more special.

I feel like unless Ferrari sort out their issues next year, Leclerc to Merc seems inevitable. Lewis’ contract is up next year, and given how old he is now the odds of them resigning him are low.

I feel like unless Ferrari sort out their issues next year, Leclerc to Merc seems inevitable. Lewis’ contract is up next year, and given how old he is now the odds of them resigning him are low.
If Lewis leaves Merc, I wonder where he’d go next or just retire? He doesn’t have much more to prove in the sport at this point.

Hamilton to Ferrari in a swap with Leclerc seems like the best option for both Ferrari and Leclerc. Charles because he gets to go to a competent team, and for Ferrari because they'll bring in a driver who can build a team and call them out on their bull**** behind the scenes well.

If Lewis leaves Merc, I wonder where he’d go next or just retire? He doesn’t have much more to prove in the sport at this point.
We've gotten too used to Merc/ RB/ Ferrari dominating the podiums for the past few years. If a mid-level team shows improvement next year I could see him stick around. He took a huge leap going to Merc in the first place, he might have one more of those in him.

But to @Jimlaad43 's point, I feel like if he's going anywhere it would probably be Ferrari. Mclaren's drivers are locked up for a few years. I doubt him and/or Alonso want to be teammates again so AM is off the table. And Williams/ HAAS/ Alfa seem like they'll be at the back of the grid for years to come but, could also be one of the teams to do a 180. Next year's silly season will be an interesting one.

A reunion with Alonso would be entertaining, but that would require getting rid of the Strolls which seems like a stench that won't go away.

Nando and Seb couldn't do it, third time lucky?

Joking aside there's a reason the very top drivers, Ayrton & Lewis apart, end up at Ferrari at some point in their career. A championship there seems more special.
Could argue it seems more special due to how infrequently it happens. Schumacher dominance aside, Kimi of course in 2007, but then you have to go back to 1979 for the last Ferrari drivers champion before Schumacher.
He'd retire I'm certain. Can't see him going anywhere else. He's been with Mercedes for his entire career, can't see him going anywhere else afterwards.

Last edited:
He's been with Mercedes for his entire career
??

CAC387DE-73EB-4C10-8FBA-2C0C1C424715.jpeg

merc power, sure, he’s always had that behind him

Attachments

• 5636F7D3-177B-4222-9543-0663715ED568.jpeg
    5636F7D3-177B-4222-9543-0663715ED568.jpeg
    88.1 KB · Views: 10
HAM ain't leaving Mercedes. He's a brand ambassador now, and his future beyond F1 is obviously going to be with them.

If a Mercedes engined team is going to pay him a heap of money to race for them, I don’t see why he would turn that down. Those options are limited, but he has to know that he won’t be in a winning car forever.

If a Mercedes engined team is going to pay him a heap of money to race for them, I don’t see why he would turn that down. Those options are limited, but he has to know that he won’t be in a winning car forever.
Don't think he has any interest ending his career in lower teams like most drivers are content in doing. Even this season he didn't care too much about whether he finished 4th or 7th. He wants more wins/title 8 and then bye.

Lucky for this conversation, Lewis has already chimed in.
Asked about his plans beyond 2023, and whether he has had any conversations with Mercedes, Hamilton said: “For years we’ve been going around, up and down with stories of retirement and stopping. For me, I feel healthier than I’ve ever felt, as I focus a lot on that – I’m feeling fit. I love what I’m doing and I don’t plan on stopping any time soon.

“My goal was always to be with Mercedes. I love that we have the long partnership we have. I feel like we are embarking on a lot of really positive things, not only in the sport, but outside. I think there’s a lot of work, a lot to accomplish together, so I want to be a part of that. “I think I’ll always be with Mercedes until the day I die. I feel like I can race for quite a bit longer, so I’ll be potentially steering towards that.”

But that raises the question of what happens if he doesn’t get his 8th next year. If Merc doesn’t re-sign him and a spot opens up at Ferrari, that’s brand ambassador role will probably go in the toilet. Unless Merc pays him to just be an ambassador. It’ll be interesting to see how this plays out

But that raises the question of what happens if he doesn’t get his 8th next year. If Merc doesn’t re-sign him and a spot opens up at Ferrari, that’s brand ambassador role will probably go in the toilet. Unless Merc pays him to just be an ambassador. It’ll be interesting to see how this plays out
If he wants to keep racing, I have no doubt Merc. will re-sign him. The guy took them to 4 straight championships, 6 in 7 years; you don't let him walk just because of 1-2 bad years if he wants to keep racing. He has also said he plans to end his career with Mercedes, so an open seat at Ferrari wouldn't phase him. (I don't see that happening anyway as Carlos & Charles seem equally suited to take that team to a title, it's the pit wall that needs to get in order).

George is already proving to be a worthy protege for Mercedes to find continued success with post-Hamilton, no need to rush for new, young talent.

Last edited:
I feel like there's more of a chance of Verstappen leaving RBR in the next five years than there is of Hamilton leaving Merecedes in that same timeframe.

Back