2024 Formula 1 Drivers threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 765 comments
That's a lot of salt coming from the United States, a country that absolutely loves to do things its own way irrespective of what the rest of the world does. Yes, Formual One is elitist. That isn't a surprise to anybody. If Colton Herta has enough superlicence points, he's in. He doesn't, so he isn't. Deal with it.

If anything the SL system should be stricter. It's already managed to keep drivers like Raghanuthan and Nissany out of F1, sadly it still allowed Latifi, Mazepin and Zhou into F1. No more grinding junior series for half a decade, no more getting into F1 without having won a big boy championship. Nothing would change for Herta, but it'll be fair.

Maybe at the young driver tests you should also beat a minimum lap time in order to get your superlicense, in a similiar manner to racing games the world over. 🤔

My interpretation of that is they only get the points if all the road course rounds are on homologated tracks. It doesn't matter where the oval races are. So they don't discount the oval track results, even though road courses are where their focus seems to be.
That would mean Indycar wouldn't bring any points since also not all Indycar road courses are FIA homologated like Toronto.

Indy should be stop talking about elitism when they don't even have rules to enter Indycar because in the end old white man from Indycar themselves are the one raising or lower the thumb if someone is worthy enough to even test an Indycar.

There’s 2 F1 champions in recent history who wouldn’t be eligible for F1 under its current standards(Verstappen, Raikkonen). People are defending the Super License rules, but what are they actually accomplishing if duds like Mazepin & Latifi can get through?

If an F1 team wants to sign a driver from any series, I don’t see what should stop them from doing so.

Last edited:
Alex Rossi has also given his take on the debate.

Honestly it's really hard for me to disagree with him, and given his career history, I'd say he's probably one of the more "experienced" individuals to speak on this topic. Given how much the super license debate have evolved over the past couple weeks, I do think that the Super License system at least needs a 2nd look. I definitely think it's silly that 2nd-10th in Indycar pays out fewer SL points than the equivalent results in F2. Indycar should at least be even imo.

That would mean Indycar wouldn't bring any points since also not all Indycar road courses are FIA homologated like Toronto.
Then I guess they are in breach of the rules, based on these 2 snippets:
1663529251903.png

1663529277521.png

Toronto was a grade 2 circuit according to the 2020 list, so maybe they are in the processing of renewing their license or have decided not to renew. I'm assuming no license = not homologated.

honestly, despite all that arguments about elitism, all most people have been asking for is a series like Indycar to get identical points as F2. Not an unreasonable request in my opinion. And it obviously has holes and problems in the system if, as many people have mentioned, Mazepin and Latifi get in, but drivers recognized as competent are barred. It is quite the telling fact to me that ex-F1 drivers are nearly unanimous in saying Herta deserves a shot. But F1 does as it always does.

Still waiting to see what gaps are left open for new blood now that we know there should be at least 2 new drivers hopefully.

There’s 2 F1 champions in recent history who wouldn’t be eligible for F1 under its current standards(Verstappen, Raikkonen). People are defending the Super License rules, but what are they actually accomplishing if duds like Mazepin & Latifi can get through?

If an F1 team wants to sign a driver from any series, I don’t see what should stop them from doing so.
Well it's simple (from FIA POV), those two came through the FIA feeder series and got enough points. You can't blame them putting more points on the FIA feeder series, because if people can just come from other series with ease then less people are going to bother with the feeder series.

If everyone did a VER or RAI doing a leapfrog, or come from outside FIA series, then the FIA feeder series would gradually lose purpose and interest.

That's a lot of salt coming from the United States, a country that absolutely loves to do things its own way irrespective of what the rest of the world does. Yes, Formual One is elitist. That isn't a surprise to anybody. If Colton Herta has enough superlicence points, he's in. He doesn't, so he isn't. Deal with it.
Why does anyone have to "deal with it"? If it's a stupid system, people are welcome to criticize it as long and as loudly as they wish. I don't give a crap if Herta gets an F1 seat but even I can see the Super License system is pretty garbage. F1 has always been Euro-centric and it will likely continue to be. Doesn't mean we can't make fun of it for that reason.

Why does anyone have to "deal with it"? If it's a stupid system, people are welcome to criticize it as long and as loudly as they wish. I don't give a crap if Herta gets an F1 seat but even I can see the Super License system is pretty garbage. F1 has always been Euro-centric and it will likely continue to be. Doesn't mean we can't make fun of it for that reason.
It's not Euro-centric as much as it's FIA-centric. They will always put their feeder series ahead of non-FIA series. If they start an FIA feeder series in the US, they'd give it as much prestige as any EU one.

If they start an FIA feeder series in the US, they'd give it as much prestige as any EU one.
I don't think they would. One important thing for F2 as well as for F3 is they're running with F1 and on F1 circuits. Nowadays there is always a huge difference seeing F1 rookies in their first season on tracks they did run before in F2 or testing and tracks they never visited before in their (lacking) performance. It makes sense getting more points for more f1 valid experience.

I don't think they would. One important thing for F2 as well as for F3 is they're running with F1 and on F1 circuits. Nowadays there is always a huge difference seeing F1 rookies in their first season on tracks they did run before in F2 or testing and tracks they never visited before in their (lacking) performance. It makes sense getting more points for more f1 valid experience.
I don't think the FIA care too much about that. They offer 25 points for winning Super Formula, racing exclusively in Japan. That's the same as 2nd in F3, so only a small drop.

A long time ago before most of you were born, Bernie Ecclestone bad mouthed CART to the hilt. Emerson Fittipaldi had gone there and thrived and was touting the series to Brabham driver Nelson Piquet. Bernie was Nelson's employer at the time! Also CART was immensely popular and the American drivers were top shelf. Several former F1 drivers who were very talented competed there....i.e. Nigel Mansell.

F1 team bosses also had high regard for CART driver talent giving tests to Al Unser Jr, Scott Dixon, Paul Tracy etc ...

BTW ...

Colton Herta says he understands the FIA's stance in terms of the superlicence, insisting that he never wanted special treatment.
The American was speaking as fellow IndyCar drivers Graham Rahal and Alexander Rossi hit out at F1 for its attitude towards American drivers and race series.

With the FIA unwilling to bend in terms of making an exception for Herta to be granted a superlicence despite not having enough points to qualify, it appears as though the American's F1 dream is over... for now.
However, Herta insists that he never wanted to be treated differently and certainly didn't want to cause the row that has dominated the sport in recent weeks.

"At the end of the day it is the FIA's decision," he tells Motorsport.com. "They listen to the teams a lot but it's the FIA's call over superlicences.
"They don't want to p*** off all their team owners and current manufacturers just to accept one more person," he adds. "It's a big puzzle with a lot of moving parts."

Nonetheless, he feels that IndyCar is 'undervalued' by the FIA in terms of the superlicence points system.
"I can understand the FIA's position, I just feel that IndyCar is underrepresented in the superlicence points structure," he says. "But from their point of view, with the current points structure, I get it. And I don't want to come in as an exception."
The youngster was keen to pay tribute to McLaren's Zak Brown, who signed him as a development driver earlier this year, and subsequently organised a three-day test in Portugal.

"Zak Brown said he'd be interested to run me in FP1s but he wouldn't want to put me in a McLaren if I had a contract with AlphaTauri, it's kind of going against your team.
"I appreciate all the effort Zak has made for me, he's been great to me. There's been a lot of stuff in the news but he's been completely transparent to me all along, and it's been great to work with him."
Asked about speculation that he could head east over the winter and contest the likes of the Toyota Racing Series in New Zealand, he admits: "I think it was possible to do something, but I feel like I shouldn't have to go race in a feeder series after I've been a professional driver for four years. So I didn't fully consider it."

Though the dream F1 move is over, certainly for now, Herta hasn't given up on it, and believes his current boss, Michael Andretti could prove to be the conduit.
"I think Michael's prepared to put me into F1, there is some longevity to that offer," says Herta. "I would understand if by the time I'm 26 he doesn't want to put me in an F1 car.
"But I guess there's a promise from this whole de Vries deal, right?" the 22-year-old continues. "He's 27, he'll be 28 by the start of next season, and it looks like what he did in Monza might have spiked some conversations about him getting a seat somewhere. Goes to show, if you get the opportunity, you need to maximize it and he did, so fair play to him.
"In the next few years there might be opportunities for Andretti to buy a team," he adds. "Somebody might be looking to sell. If another engine manufacturer comes in and a team owner has an opportunity to sell, they might look at it very differently."

Mazepin refuses to renounce Russian flag to secure F1 drive.

Yeah, because that's the reason you're not getting a drive. 🤣

Mazepin refuses to renounce Russian flag to secure F1 drive.

Yeah, because that's the reason you're not getting a drive. 🤣
Also he reason the Russian officials aren't putting him in jail. I can imagine it would be viewed pretty poorly in some dangerous circles to have a son of one of the leaders better known friends and supporters 'defect' in such a public way. Still doesn't mean he isn't a muppet anyway.

I couldn’t think of a more underwhelming replacement for Lewis. Although right now it doesn’t seem like there’s anyone outside of Merc, RB, Ferrari who would legitimately fight for a championship if given the right car.

maybe a past version, but current Nando is barely outracing his underwhelming teammate
He's 42 but he is outpacing him, you have to give him that. In qualy especially. On the one hand, Alonso is in his IDGAF phase of his career and still proving he's fast enough to be somewhere on the grid so it's difficult to judge a teammate against a generational talent who still has something left. On the other hand, a 26 year old Ocon who can't beat someone twice his age isn't making a great case for himself.

It's a toss up between Norris and Ocon for Hamilton's seat if it is available sometime soon. I honestly don't know who would be the best pick. Edit: I forgot about de Vries. He made an instant impact in Italy but he might need a full-time drive to tick himself over.

Last edited:
N de Vries just made one single F1 race and he could possibly be 30 when Lewis will leave. They also only need a second fiddle to George like a Bottas or Perez or Sainz. There will be plenty for those drivers on the market in the next 2-3 years.

N de Vries just made one single F1 race and he could possibly be 30 when Lewis will leave. They also only need a second fiddle to George like a Bottas or Perez or Sainz. There will be plenty for those drivers on the market in the next 2-3 years.
unless George is really a second fiddle himself

I'm not entirely sure Hamilton has three years left in him but going with that, Ocon will be 29 so both he and de Vries won't have age on their side. Norris will be 25 so he has that going for him.

Alonso is still giving the performances he is giving because, at the moment at least, he's in a midfield best-of-the-rest car, but also he's shown not to be phased by not being in the best machinary and teaming with a younger up and coming driver - which isn't always the case with ex-world champs. I think most of all, he fully uses his experience to know when to push, when to conceed a position and just understands how a race is unfolding.

Russell/Leclerc at Mercedes seems to be the strongest possible lineup on paper. Red Bull team policy means they're not in the picture for strongest on paper lineup.

Back