25 Hours of Thunderhill- Now with stream info!!!

• Thread starter hawkeye122
  • 17 comments
United States
California
gdwest1
It's that time of year again! The longest endures event in the United States, and the unofficial end to the Endurance racing calendar. (Until Dubai or Bathurst, not much of an offseason...)

As always, this race is sanctioned by the National Auto Sport Association, and accepts just about any closed-wheel car.

Live streaming commentary can be found at endurance-radio.com

Mazda USA will have a live stream of their 3 Skyactiv diesels on their YouTube account "Mazda USA"

Lastly, I will be doing some spotting for Endurance Radio, but I will also be posting updates online at
Twitter:@ryanator122
Instagram: ryanator121

Hopefully you can find some way to tune in!

Each year the race gets a bit more exposure, particularly in the ES class.

The class structure goes as follows-
E0
E3
E2
E1
ES
ESR

The numbered classes are various Club racing-spec cars, which get progressively faster.

The ES class is the "Unlimited" production car class. If you had an FIA GT1 car, all the way down to GT4, a DTM/SuperGT, STCC, Superstars V8, or anything else which can be found in major Motorsport around the world, or you have a Highly-modified road car, this is where you go.
This year, Thunderhill has caught the eye of PWC contenders GMG racing as well as Black Swan Racing, fielding 2 R8 LMS GT3s and an SLS GT3 respectively. There's also entries from Spoon, with their CRZ, as well as Lexus Motorsport bringing an ISF. The last 3 overall winners have come from this class, all driving a Porsche Cup car.

The ESR class is the only class for prototypes. Typically there are a handful of Radicals or Normas. Usually they come from something like the SCCA's CSR or DSR class, and this year even sees the entry of a Spec Racer Ford. Theoretically, a CN, Prototype Lite, LMPC, DP, LMP2, Group C, or LMP1 car could participate in this class.

The entry list can be found here
http://www.nasa25hour.com/2013/teams/2013teamlist.htm

That root website also gives details on time, as well as broadcast options. The race Begins on the first Saturday of December.

Last edited:
I have a few buddies who did this last year and I think they will be again, I've secretly been wanting to do this, but I need my NASA license and my limited experience so far probably isn't best for such a long race.. :(

I have a few buddies who did this last year and I think they will be again, I've secretly been wanting to do this, but I need my NASA license and my limited experience so far probably isn't best for such a long race.. :(
Surely by this time next year you'll be plenty qualified! Tons of Miata teams needing drivers

This has always been a goal of mine to compete in this event.

Awesome to hear of Black Swan and GMG entering.

There has been a Daytona Prototype in the event before, so the ESR class certainly does catch anything. The DP was sponsored by Muscle Milk, though I don't know if it had any relation to Muscle Milk racing. Speaking of the ESR class, that has to be the biggest field I can recall seeing.

And... are those Tube-frame Mazda's I'm seeing???

Lastly, go Team Raptor! Gotta root for the home team! They're going to be entering a Shelby CanAm, which is a car I'm only just discovering. I don't know how they plan on racing at night, though...

251731-1000-0.jpg

It's the real Shelby, albeit from his Dodge days which, in my opinion, are vastly understated.

Last edited:
Some years ago there was a DP team fighting for the overall with All sorts of GT cars anywhere from GT3 to IT-U and God know's what other classes!
I love this race because you never know what's gonna show up next year!

Surely there must be some slight restrictions? I wouldn't mind seeing that though
To my knowledge they don't do any kind of performance balancing. I suppose they could always deny entries on the basis of "Really? You brought a Peugeot 908? There's no one on the same PLANET as you." But I'd imagine that if there were multiple entries of the same caliber (Group C, LMP1) they wouldn't mind too much

Interestingly, the Cup Porsches have an amazing history here, and they aren't as fast as the Radicals.
Last year the ESR winner changed engines 3 times.
The Acura Touring cars were taking donor parts from Civics and Vans to keep going.
One of the MX5's had engine trouble, so the team owner drove his street car over and changed the engine right out.

There's this spirit of "Just try to fix everything" and it's awesome to be around. You can roam aimlessly in the paddock and no one cares. It's so amazing.

Last edited:
Love this race, but I'm never able to figure out when it happens.

Back