"48 Laws" of Racing -- Top "x" Racing Tips

Def-Infinity

FKA Blue-Shifted-
Premium
United States
New York
Define-Infinity
List your tips and approach for getting better at racing in GT7 and elsewhere. This is more about the principles that you think are valuable to new or experienced players, than advice for specific events or modes.

1. Minimize time loss from battling, dirty air, mistakes, etc. You + your car might not always be a winning combination, but you can always chase your optimal time.

2. Always build a relevant resource or positional (gap/pace) advantage against your target and levy it against them. Fully utilize every resource on/in the car through good strategy & consistent driving.

3. Deny others their optimal path to victory in critical moments. Keep temporary truces when it benfits you in a meaningful way. Plan ahead and create opportunities for youself with your decision making.

4. Don't be a dunderhead on track. A battle is like an argument, and you won't get many people to agree to be on your side when you don't respect their concerns or their values. However, raw pace is the ultimate point & counter-point.

5. Pressure is a weapon. Winning the mental battle is just as important as winning the on-track battle and can bring you to places that pace alone can't.

6. Finally, don't be afraid to have fun. A snoozer of a race is very easy to take yourself out in. However you find yourself making your fun, make sure you've calculated the risks and respect the other drivers on track.

This will be it for me, but I'm curious if others have different processes for racing.

8. Respect your fellow racers. Unless you have a previous history with them, treat them how you want to be treated (on track and in chat). Careful racing, apologies and giving places back are remembered just as much as intentional punts.

9. Know your enemy. Let's say you are frequenting a particular daily race where you prefer to drive the Corvette, but most of your opponents are driving the Ferrari. Go spend 10 minutes, or so driving that Ferrari. You'll observe its strengths, and more importantly, its weaknesses. Exploit that knowledge to defeat it.

I gained all of my racing knowlege as a young boy from the movies Days of Thunder and Cool Runnings.

One solid tip I have is try to be as smooth as possible. I got very good at this on accident because I would play well my girlfriend was sleeping and didn't want to wake her with my wheel noises. I noticed it made me faster.

Race without driving lines or breaking zones. They are wrong 60% of the time. Your brain adjusts to being able to do that on its own in a little while and it opens you up to more options. I find when a racing line is present I'm half racing, half following a line blindly. If you are learning a track you can see the rubber laid down where you should start braking.

10. Slow in, Fast out on corners is king.

11. Most of the assists in this game are a hindrance once you're good enough.

12. There are different lines and different approaches to corners while time-trialing VS racing, most of the times in a race you have to give up the most optimal lines that you would use to not crash into your opponents, other times while taking a corner along with a opponent, it's preferable to brake early and power out of a corner instead of braking late and keeping the most optimal speed so you can overtake you them.

13. NEVER be the first driver to rams the others, if it happens accidentally then it's better to slow down and give up your positions than having to deal with an angry opponent for the rest of the race, because they WILL crash back into you.

14. Endurance races are all about consistency and pit strategy instead of lap times, brake and throttle control will make your tires last much more than those trying to get the fastest lap time, shifting up earlier is better than running fuel maps on most cars unless you're gunning for a no-stopper race(which most of the times it isn't worth it)

Last edited:
4. Don't be a dunderhead on track. A battle is like an argument, and you won't get many people to agree to be on your side when you don't respect their concerns or their values. However, raw pace is the ultimate point & counter-point.
Just wanted to build on this one.

Maintaining good etiquette in these 'arguments' will lead to thrills and smiles, not to mention advancing your racecraft.

15. In multi-car battles you can influence the entire pack with your positioning. If you change where the slipstream and grip is, you also change the shape of the battle.

Use it to create, extend or shorten others battles as needed as well as advancing in your own.

Sometimes as the driver behind, you can force someone 2 positions ahead of you defend by making it look like the driver in the middle wants to overtake.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back