ABS off isnt no ABS?!

• Thread starter Haitauer
  • 13 comments
Finland
Finland
HI-tauer
This might be known thing, but i havent stumbled to it before. Was testing the new tire model with BMW M4 SS on Nurb and figured to try braking on mixed surface as i think braking over curbs/grass has always been way too forgiving in GTS.

So - i accelerated to 130kmh or so and slammed the brakes with left side wheels on grass, and abs (weak) took care of it. No surprise there. Then i turned off the abs and did the same. Yes front locked and car didnt turn anymore, BUT car was braking on a dead straight line even though left side wheels were on grass. Dug in to whats going on in replay, and noticed rear wheels didnt lock at all. Not even on full braking on grass.. :indiff:

What is this crap? During beta there was a suggestion, they have modelled a brake valve which prevents rear from locking. But i want my locking brakes.

Braking from 150 on mixed surface should throw any car off balance abs or not, unless theres a stability control in play.. :confused:

Try the same test with all 4 wheels on the tarmac, & see if the result is the same with ABS off. The reason I say this is because in GT6 when you turned traction control off, it was off on the tarmac, but then it was forced back on if you went off track say on the grass for instance. It's something that PD does to baby players, let you turn an aid off but force it back on if you go off track.

Last edited:
GTS seems to want to have your rear wheels never lock up. I noticed this because whenever I turn the BB dial to 5 on all the cars I play with ABS Off, there will still always be a tiny amount of ABS in play. You can see it on the brake bar- it still has a miniscule amount of red which indicated how much braking the ABS is prohibiting. Some cars you need BB 5 to see this, like most Gr. 3 cars, but some can even be as little as BB 1 to see this (Nissan Skyline R33)

GTS seems to want to have your rear wheels never lock up. I noticed this because whenever I turn the BB dial to 5 on all the cars I play with ABS Off, there will still always be a tiny amount of ABS in play. You can see it on the brake bar- it still has a miniscule amount of red which indicated how much braking the ABS is prohibiting. Some cars you need BB 5 to see this, like most Gr. 3 cars, but some can even be as little as BB 1 to see this (Nissan Skyline R33)

But yet on many stock FF cars you often need BB way to the front because the rear always slides like the rear tires are locking.

What does the amount of red on the braking bar actually tell you? All red vs mostly white + some red?

What does the amount of red on the braking bar actually tell you? All red vs mostly white + some red?
Red is normally the difference between how much pedal you're applying and how much you should be for threshold. However for abs it's a load of crap. It still shows red when you press the brakes whilst stationary

But yet on many stock FF cars you often need BB way to the front because the rear always slides like the rear tires are locking.
With FF cars you want the rear to slide a lot, so you can actually turn through the corner and then power out with the understeer that inevitably causes.

Ditto with bduddy. But maybe that's because of the lack of weight pushing the rear wheels down in FF cars. The rear brakes don't lock up, but you do feel the bias coming from the rear if you set it too high

From memory, I think the braking bar is only shown all red when you watch a replay.
However, when you are driving it is mainly white.

The red section is showing how much the ABS is effecting your braking.

Think of it being similar to TC, where in that case it is essentially reducing the amount of throttle you are applying.
With TC off you will not see any red section on the throttle bar, because it's not activating.
With TC on, when it's activated you will see red flickering on the throttle bar and the TC icon turns red.

Similarly, with ABS off there is also no red section on the braking bar, because it's not activating.
But with ABS on Default or Weak, the red section is showing how much your braking is being effected by the ABS, and the ABS icon turns red.
It's basically showing the reduction in the amount of braking pressure being applied, due to ABS.

Last edited:
When I turn off ABS on my real car, front tires usually lock up, but even on hard braking rears don't lock. It is front mounted engine so basically when braking even more weight is on front, which would lead for rears to lock up, but as it seems brake balance is made so that rears just keep car streight... Or maybe I'm wrong, or even worse, my car is not working properly lul

When I turn off ABS on my real car, front tires usually lock up, but even on hard braking rears don't lock. It is front mounted engine so basically when braking even more weight is on front, which would lead for rears to lock up, but as it seems brake balance is made so that rears just keep car streight... Or maybe I'm wrong, or even worse, my car is not working properly lul

Manufacturers balance the brakes like that on purpose because if you lock up the rear tires the car can instantly turn sideways but if you lock up the fronts the car will track straight. All relatively current FWD cars should have an X braking system where RF/LR & LF/RR are tied together rather than the conventional older style that had separate front/rear brake dividing, again to prevent locking both rear tires. Been drag racing for over 30 years, drag cars rely heavily on rear tires for stopping because of tiny tires in front and huge hi traction tires in rear, I cant begin to tell you how many cars I have seen turn sideways at finish line from locking rear tires or even ending up upside down. I also build cars, I adjust brake balance so fronts will lock before the rears so the driver knows the point where he is about to get in trouble.

Sorry it's slightly OT, since the tyre model changed is ABS default the way to go still? I have mine set to weak currently, not sure if it's actually better but it's where I left it after experimenting turning loads of things on and off when getting to grips with the change.

Manufacturers balance the brakes like that on purpose because if you lock up the rear tires the car can instantly turn sideways but if you lock up the fronts the car will track straight. All relatively current FWD cars should have an X braking system where RF/LR & LF/RR are tied together rather than the conventional older style that had separate front/rear brake dividing, again to prevent locking both rear tires. Been drag racing for over 30 years, drag cars rely heavily on rear tires for stopping because of tiny tires in front and huge hi traction tires in rear, I cant begin to tell you how many cars I have seen turn sideways at finish line from locking rear tires or even ending up upside down. I also build cars, I adjust brake balance so fronts will lock before the rears so the driver knows the point where he is about to get in trouble.

I know m8, just wrote that so OP could realize that rears don't lock up :)

Back