Absolute NIGHTMARE connecting PS3 via PC network bridge.... Looking for some help

• Thread starter E RaK
  • 4 comments
United States
N. Reading, MA
esr686
I'm sure that nobody really wants to be bothered with helping me out here, but it's worth asking eh?

Right so. I'm at school, gaming consoles are blocked from the network. Also, they switched to wireless-only in the dorms. We have Ethernet ports, but they do not work. So then, network bridge, job done, right? No, things are never that easy.

Here is what I have right now:

Custom settings --> Wired --> Speed/some garbage: Auto-Detect --> IP settings: manual --> MTU: auto --> No proxy --> uPnP: enabled

PC side-

IP: 192.168.137.1
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 128.119.28.1
DNS: 128.119.101.2
DNS (alt): 128.119.101.1

PS3 end-

IP: 192.168.137.2
Subnet, gateway, both DNS identical.

The network bridge authenticates, and I turn on the PS3. Local Area Connection attempts to authenticate, sometimes fails entirely. Occasionally it will connect (enabled, bridged) only to d/c moments later. I typically get error code 80710102 (DNS error) to pop up.

Things I have tried:

All values identical
IP value +1 on the last term
Setting the DNS as the PC's IP address
PPPoE with my login credentials from school, both auto and manual DNS

I had this working last year at school, does anyone have some advice? I really need the 1.04 update so I can run the WRS. Thanks for looking!

You'd most likely get a lot more knowledgable eyes on this thread if it were in the computers and tech section, maybe ask a mod to move it there?

My first reaction to this is if it worked before but doesn't work now they've done something to the network that broke it, and that's out of your hands, unfortunately. The fact that it works briefly before failing also suggests that it would work but something you don't have access to is preventing it.

Not sure if your network bridge settings are correct, but I doubt very much you will be able to connect anyway; most schools and colleges have the gaming ports blocked at their firewall. So even if you do manage to connect the ps3, I'd guess that the most you'll be able to do is browse the web.

If you have your computer attached to the wireless network, can you then use Steam? Might be worth asking around to see if there are any Steam users in your halls.

Yeah I can access Steam and similar, not too sure about MAC stuff, never looked into it. Kicker is I had it working and started to download the patch and it booted me halfway through... bullocks. Haven't gotten that far since.

Back