• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 38 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
GTPlanet, in talking about Black History Month, this thread is about African-Americans in racing. I am an African-American myself, so I'm proud to celebrate my heritage. This thread was inspired by new Speed Channel show or segment, "Black Wheels." If you want to talk about blacks in racing, much less American racer, then go ahead. I'll start, though.

Some of the names I've seen are Willy T. Ribbs (NASCAR, SCCA), Bill Lester (NASCAR), and in the past, Cheryl Glass (Midget racer). Maybe the best of them to me was Willy T. Ribbs. I wished I could learn more about African-Americans who can compete in the highest level of racing whether it's NASCAR, an SCCA series, or even sportscar racing. The ultimate diversity deal would be (likely rare to happen) another black female to perhaps be the next Danica Patrick or Katherine Legge.

If there is an African-American that's making some noise in racing is if you follow motorcross. Because if you follow American motorcross, you may have heard of James "Bubba" Stewart. The championship seems to be Carmichael vs. Stewart. If he keeps up the good work, he'll likely see a Hall of Fame or some sort of special recognition in maybe a decade or so.

I just seem to know about Willy T. Ribbs and been exposed a lot to Bill Lester. So, you're free to comment and contribute, people.

[EDIT/UPDATE] This is a very old thread, but I edited one name. I meant "Cheryl Glass," not "Cheryl Gladys." I changed this up.

Last edited:
There was an AP story today about NASCAR trying to appeal to a more diverse demographic. The story briefly mentions Lester, but neglects mentioning the African-Americans that are working in pit crews (I remember seeing a few last season).

The AP story.

It's to bad that they have to have this at all.Just shows that the mentality of the early years toward other races.

I'm going to try not to sound like a raceist here (and I am sorry if I come off that way, I am not) but isnt racing in general considered to be a "White man sport" much in the way basketball has become a "Black man sport"?

I personally havent met too many black men that are interested in sports cars, or the racing that they are meant to do. I dont want to enforce a sterotype here, but when I talk with my black friends at work about cars, they are more interested in the new Cadillacs and Mercedes-Benzes than cars like the V8 Vantage or 599...

Its because black men dont want to drive fast. They want to cruise along slowly in comfort so everyone can see them in their expensive car. Well thats how it is however here anyway.

In the UK we have about 9 black racing drives. Ther was a article about it in my local paper. I think most of them are rally drivers.

In the carribean rally driving is a big thing and most of the driver ie 95% of them are black.

lewis hamilton is black, and he won the F3 Euroseries. He's been with Mclaren for a while now and he's doing GP2 with the ART team, the reigning champions. Who knows, first black F1 driver?

I have no problems with black people liking racing. Infact I wish more of them did since most of my friends are black but I'm the only one who follows any sort of racing.

I hate it when people try to call nascar and other motorsports racist because they're aren't very many black drivers. If they haven't noticed black guys don't seem to be very interested in racing to start with and it isn't really that easy to get into racing for anyone. I want to race but am already past the age to start cuz racing teams want kids who started racing when they were 5.

The only black racers I know of are Bill Lester and James Stewart. Of which I pull for when I see them.

Stone, Woods, & Cook, potentially the most famous of all the participants in the infamous "Gasser Wars" of the 1960's NHRA drag scene, was a black team.

65NATIONALSINDY-STONEWOODSCOOK.JPG

I don't know. Speaking as a black American, maybe not too many of us know what racing is like. Don't go stereotyping that all black people know about cars is taking cars and pimping them out to have big stereos and all that. One of my old classmates from my high school days (who used to be my enemy) liked the Audi R8 back when I showed him the car back in 2001. He liked it. But if a black team were to get together and have a crack at glory, then the crew will have to adjust to the rigors of hard-fought racing.

Do I think it's possible to have the next best American driver be a black American? Of course! I wouldn't be offended if Formula One had a female World Champion (Danica Patrick had some aspirations about that, after some rather controversial comments last year by Bernie Ecclestone). I wouldn't be offended by an African-American getting it done on the race track. I wouldn't be offended by a female African-American making some noise in racing. Basically, I would like to see a black American not only to win a championship, but just be an inspiration to have other young blacks to take up on racing. How do you start? Do what many pros did- do some kart racing. I'm not even an amateur-level real racer, and I've learned quite a lot about racing. If it wasn't for Houston Indoor Kartzone, I wouldn't appreciate that you need to be pretty fit to control a racing machine. I felt tired after having used a go-kart for about... somewhere between 15-20 minutes on an indoor go-kart track. Yeah, it's just a go-kart. Go-karts are every bit as intimidating as say... a Le Mans prototype or a Formula One race car. You learn the basics with some community go-karting. You don't have to be a licensed racer- just sign up at some local go-kart deal and learn the limits of handling a kart around a race track. Then, step up to cars or motorcycles. Oh, that's another thing. It doesn't have to be cars, but motorcycles can also be good. Can you imagine a black American on the MotoGP tour taking it to Carlos Checa (is he still racing?), Nicky Hayden, Giberneau(?) and of course... Valentino Rossi? Or what about one challenging AMA Superbikes against names like Miguel Duhamel, Mat Mladin, and stuff like that?

For my own race's sake, I'd like to see some more African-Americans in racing. I'd just want to see them doing their thing and getting business settled on the track. I'd like to see them prosper about as much as Willy T. Ribbs had, and as Bill Lester is getting there. I am not a NASCAR fanatic, but I appreciate Bill Lester's involvement in racing. At times, I just want him to get that "W" that will potentially be the first step in getting more black Americans into racing. And I also hope it will open the door for many new prodigies in America. Carry on now...

Here is how I see it.Once they have thier helment on,you can't tell what color or race that they are,they are just someone to pass or to keep from passing me.I could care less were they come from!!! I just love to have some great drivers to race.

it would be fantastic to see a Black sportscars driver:tup: . Sportscar racing has had good diversity to start so why not add more spice to the dish?:sly: as for what Poverty said, its not just that they like to show off, but I seem to see that they often don't have faith in doing well in something like Racing, at the same time, they are constantly trying to keep up with their image and they don't want to be considered an outcast. look at all the pressure they go through:indiff: .

JohnBM01
You learn the basics with some community go-karting. You don't have to be a licensed racer- just sign up at some local go-kart deal and learn the limits of handling a kart around a race track. Then, step up to cars or motorcycles.

I think that's the real issue with it John. 90% of the people that i know who compete in motor racing come from a background that had some connection to motorsport, myself included as a 3rd generation racer. Its something you grow up with and learn about at an early age, some of my earliest memories are of toddling around the paddocks of Britain's race circuits. Its not that motorsport is an introverted or exclusive 'club' - it's just that for a newcomer it can probably seem that way. Like most sports, if you grow up with family members interested or involved in a particular sport you are highly likely to end up with similar interests.

If you grow-up in an area where there's a local basketball court or if you get involved in a sport at school, you're likely, whether you have the talent or not, to build a connection with that sport. If schools in areas with a large percentage of African Americans in its population had a 'karting' programme, or if communities started building karting tracks like they do basketball courts or municiple football fields, you would eventually start getting a higher level of black racing drivers involved in motoracing.

I'm black and if I weren't such a conservative driver, I'd probably be involved in motorsports too. A friend of mine thinks that he might be one of the first black drifters. His car isn't quite finished yet, so someone might beat him to it.lol

VQuick
I'm black and if I weren't such a conservative driver, I'd probably be involved in motorsports too. A friend of mine thinks that he might be one of the first black drifters. His car isn't quite finished yet, so someone might beat him to it.lol
U never heard of shadowdrifter? lol

here's another very sad fact. as if it weren't sad enough that not many black men race, there are no black women racing.

Kahne captures pole, but Lester steals show
By Mike Harris, The Associated Press
March 18, 2006
12:58 AM EST (05:58 GMT)

HAMPTON, Ga. (AP) -- Bill Lester stole the show from pole-winner Kasey Kahne on Friday night at Atlanta Motor Speedway, earning a spot in the Golden Corral 500 to become the the first black driver to qualify for a race in NASCAR's top series in nearly 20 years.

Driving a Dodge fielded by Bill Davis Racing and facing enormous pressure, the slim, quiet NASCAR truck series regular put up a lap of 190.502 mph early in the Nextel Cup series qualifying session on the 1.5-mile oval.

That was nearly 6 mph faster than he ran in practice. But Lester still had to wait for more than an hour to see if it would be good enough to make it into the 43-car field for Sunday's race.

"I only need to hold my breath for 30 or 35 more drivers," a smiling Lester said after getting out of his car. "I'm just glad I was able to realize my dream and get this opportunity."

The top 35 cars from last season's owners points are guaranteed starting spots at every race, leaving only eight places to the other entries like the 45-year-old Lester, trying to make a Cup race for the first time.

He made it easily, qualifying 19th overall and the fastest of 15 drivers who tried to drive their way into the race.

"It's overwhelming," said Lester, who raced later Friday night in the truck race. "This is the culmination of a very long dream that I've had to race at the top level of motorsports. ... I'm hoping to think that this is the beginning, that it will open a few more eyes and get the attention of corporate America.

"This is quite a feat at my age, but I hope I'm still on the rise," added Lester, the first black man to qualify for a Cup race since Willy T. Ribbs ran three events in 1986, the last in June of that year at Michigan International Speedway.

NASCAR's most successful black driver was Wendell Scott, whose 13-year career spanned 495 races and a landmark victory in 1964.

Kahne was also among the earliest of the 52 drivers who made qualifying attempts on the cool, clear night.

His lap of 192.553 was just good enough to beat Ryan Newman's 192.540 and end the latter's run of Atlanta poles at six. The time difference between the fastest qualifiers was just .008-seconds.

Rounding out the top five were Jeff Burton at 191.973, Bobby Labonte at 191.914 and rookie J.J. Yeley at 191.864.

Carl Edwards, who won both Atlanta Cup races last year, qualified just ahead of Lester in 18th. Series points leader Jimmie Johnson, winner of two of the first three races this season, will start 14th.

http://www.nascar.com/2006/news/headlines/cup/03/17/blester.kkahne.atl.pole.ap/index.html
Great drive Bill! Good luck on Sunday! 👍
lester.384.jpg

nitro_2005
lewis hamilton is black, and he won the F3 Euroseries. He's been with Mclaren for a while now and he's doing GP2 with the ART team, the reigning champions. Who knows, first black F1 driver?

Narain Karthikeyan says: "The hell?"

Narain%20karthikeyan.jpg

For Bill Lester, he can be the first person since Wendall Scott to win a NASCAR race in Nextel Cup (or did Willy T. Ribbs pick up wins before W. Scott's 1960s win?). I know I say I like Jeff Gordon and all, but I'd want Bill Lester to have an awesome performance. If he finishes (even if in 1st), I'm happy. If he DNFs, I'm happy. He's just out there boosting his racing resumé and perhaps exposing more African-Americans to the sport. He's 45 years old, so imagine people at least 20 years younger getting into the game.

We may be talking about NASCAR, but it's still a nationally-recognized motorsport. This is one of the times in which race sanctiion loyalties don't mean a thing. Not to bring in any racist elements, but the majority of racing talent you hear of is in the southeast. Most communities in the southeast have some significant African-American influence. Look at Atlanta, Charlotte, Birmingham, Baton Rouge, Baltimore, and all that. Many places have some significant or noticable African-American culturization. Yet, many of these places have been launch pads for most racing talent in America. Not just NASCAR. But look at a case like the LaBontes, from Corpus Christi, TX. I don't know. Maybe racing doesn't catch on to some of us despite the fact a number of talent are from certain cities with African-American communities. Do we all sort of pick up motorsports in different ways? I would like to see more involvement among my own people. How do we do it, though? There's a tough question.

Layla's Keeper
Karthikeyan was Indian, not African, in descent. Quite a difference.

And?

He was still the first black F1 driver, so saying that someone else could be, in the future, the first black F1 driver - as nitro2005 did - makes no sense.

Famine
And?

He was still the first black F1 driver, so saying that someone else could be, in the future, the first black F1 driver - as nitro2005 did - makes no sense.

Surely you know that, 99.9999999999997% of the time, "black" is used to refer to someone of African descent?

So... what is Narain Karthikeyan (and his billion countrymen) if not black?

Famine
So... what is Narain Karthikeyan (and his billion countrymen) if not black?

I could be sassy and say "brown", but I'll spare the lame jokes and just say "Indian" or "South Asian". I'll also mention the simple fact that Africans (especially native Africans) express the darkest range of skin tones, not people who descend from the Subcontinent.

*loves discussions about human demographics* 👍

It's refreshing to see so many varied, yet overall positive responses concerning black racecar drivers on GT Planet. On another website--I won't mention the name--but the hate-spewing bigots and general slack-witted out-patients armed with a keyboard came out with a vengeance concerning Bill Lesters' participation in the Atlanta NASCAR race. You'd think that it was 1865 and the Atlanta Motor Speedway was being invaded by carpetbaggers from their tone! There, how's that for anachronism?
But, getting back on topic, there aren't many black race drivers in the good 'ole U.S. of A. I stumbled into it because of the speed, the sense of danger. I'm the only member in my family who loves racing. From NASCAR to Formula 1, to the IRL, V-8 supercars, DTM, Touring cars, GT . . . I love it all. The contact, the collisions, the danger . . . racing just seemed like a natural progression from football to me. You have the drivers put on thier helmets, strap into their cars and do battle for 2 to 3 hours! They put their lives and their overall health on the line everytime they compete. In many ways racing is safer than the NFL!
That's my take . . . And I'm glad to post on GT Planet with so many intelligent, open-minded individuals,
Later

Well, a finish in 38th isn't a top-10, but that wasn't likely to happen anyhow. Congrats to Bill Lester on finishing the race, which is no small task in NASCAR.

Thundercat
It's refreshing to see so many varied, yet overall positive responses concerning black racecar drivers on GT Planet. On another website--I won't mention the name--but the hate-spewing bigots and general slack-witted out-patients armed with a keyboard came out with a vengeance concerning Bill Lesters' participation in the Atlanta NASCAR race. You'd think that it was 1865 and the Atlanta Motor Speedway was being invaded by carpetbaggers from their tone! There, how's that for anachronism?
But, getting back on topic, there aren't many black race drivers in the good 'ole U.S. of A. I stumbled into it because of the speed, the sense of danger. I'm the only member in my family who loves racing. From NASCAR to Formula 1, to the IRL, V-8 supercars, DTM, Touring cars, GT . . . I love it all. The contact, the collisions, the danger . . . racing just seemed like a natural progression from football to me. You have the drivers put on thier helmets, strap into their cars and do battle for 2 to 3 hours! They put their lives and their overall health on the line everytime they compete. In many ways racing is safer than the NFL!
That's my take . . . And I'm glad to post on GT Planet with so many intelligent, open-minded individuals,
Later
well welcome to GTP:) . apperantly, you see the same things I do. I'm sure GTP is glad to have you as another intelligent open-minded member:tup: .

Bill Lester wanted to have a Top 20 finish, but got 38th. Best news is that he finished the race. As much calamity as NASCAR races have, I'm sure he's thankful to finish. If you can't win the race, the next best thing is to finish.

Good one, Bill Lester. Better luck next time.

i think im going to be the first one to say this if im correct. i welcome the african-american people into the racing community. coming from an area where whites and african americans are equal in numbers, id be more than happy to see them out competing with us. bill lester, although not being the first black driver, is taking a big step. he has been in the truck series for a while but for him to make a jump to nextel cup is a big deal (to me atleast).

i say good for him and any other african american who wishes to join the racing community. also, i feel there is nothing wrong with it. just because of their color, or gender for that reason, is no reason to keep someone from doing something they love. there are people of indian decent and "other" races who enjoy motor sports, and no fuss is made for them. why african americans?

bring it on. we should be accepting and open to anyone joining our ranks.

Back