Another Aussie Drug Smuggler

• Thread starter Grayfox
  • 12 comments
Australia
Australia
I_Grayson_Fox_I
A Sydney woman has been arrested in Bali for drug possession after police found cannabis and ecstasy at the villa where she was staying.

Leeza Tracey Ormsby, 37, is currently being held in a Denpasar police cell after officers allegedly found 132g of MDMA and 27 grams of hashish inside the villa, in North Kuta.

Police suspect she may have been dealing, as they also found an electric scale, two rolls of tape and four plastic wrappers.

"Judging from the evidence, it's possible she’s dealing. If [she’s] just a user, why do you need a scale?" an unnamed local police source told Fairfax Media.

Police also found a marijuana joint inside Ms Ormsby's bag.

Ms Ormsby is a New Zealand national who had been living in Paddington in Sydney's east, according to reports.

Her lawyer, Ary Soenardi, described her as an unemployed backpacker.

She was visiting a friend in Bali and was her arrested on February 12, just a few days after arriving on the resort island, Mr Soenardi said.

Mr Soenardi said his client had been moving around while in Bali and had used the villa to shower, News Ltd reports.

When she arrived at the villa around 8am on February 12 to collect her laptop and towel, police were already there, Mr Soenardi said. She was then searched and arrested.

Ms Ormsby has denied knowledge of any drugs found at the villa.

But reportedly she has admitted that some days before the raid, a drugs party had taken place with five of her friends, who had since returned to their home countries.

Denpasar drug squad chief Agus Tri Waluyo said police had conducted the raid after receiving information there was drugs at the villa.

Police said Ms Ormsby has not yet been charged. But if she is charged with drug possession, the maximum sentence is 20 years.

The New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs said it is providing consular assistance to Ms Ormsby.

The incident comes days after convicted drug smuggler Schapelle Corby was released on parole after spending nine years imprisoned in Kerobokan prison.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/2014/02/20/05/28/sydney-woman-arrested-in-bali-on-drug-possession

When will these idiots learn
We do not want to hear about another corby.

When will these idiots learn
We do not want to hear about another corby.

If you don't want to hear about it then why make a thread about it?

I really don't understand what motivates your thought processes.

Also, this is again an example of idiotic laws and policies causing more problems than good.

Also also, just use quote tags instead of center aligning, much easier to read that way.

If you don't want to hear about it then why make a thread about it?

I really don't understand what motivates your thought processes.

Also, this is again an example of idiotic laws and policies causing more problems than good.

Also also, just use quote tags instead of center aligning, much easier to read that way.

What's wrong with the law? It's forbidden and she got arrested?

I have the feeling I missed something..

What's wrong with the law? It's forbidden and she got arrested?

I have the feeling I missed something..

No, I understand she violated a law and thus the arrest. What I mean is that the drug prohibition laws and the "war on drugs" mindset prevailing in many developed countries is misguided.

It also me commenting on the tendency Grayfox has of just repeating what he has heard verbatim, as if it is fact and gospel.

No, I understand she violated a law and thus the arrest. What I mean is that the drug prohibition laws and the "war on drugs" mindset prevailing in many developed countries is misguided.

It also me commenting on the tendency Grayfox has of just repeating what he has heard verbatim, as if it is fact and gospel.

What you mean is, the war on drugs is overrated and is not helping at all? I don't know what to think when people talk about war on drugs. I can get it easily, and almost everyone I speak wants or has tried drugs. Couple of years ago I walked some Americans who were on holiday to the coffeeshop :lol: No war on drugs here...

Also, designer drugs is beginning to rise high in Europe. And as it sounds, there isn't much police can do. You can order it from some website and they bring it to your house, somehow its legal.

My gov is pretty nice about normal drugs. Like XTC, MDMA, cocaine, weed, hashish.. If you want you could even take your drugs to the medic or hospital and get it tested before you use it. You'll probably get jailed if you have a lot of it with you and get caught with it, but that's only with hard drugs. Weed and hashish is legal, max 5 grams per person.

We don't have problems with people on drugs, or not as much as in other countries where they feel they need to have a war on drugs. Either to get it stopped or fund their own wars.

What you mean is, the war on drugs is overrated and is not helping at all? I don't know what to think when people talk about war on drugs. I can get it easily, and almost everyone I speak wants or has tried drugs. Couple of years ago I walked some Americans who were on holiday to the coffeeshop :lol: No war on drugs here...

Also, designer drugs is beginning to rise high in Europe. And as it sounds, there isn't much police can do. You can order it from some website and they bring it to your house, somehow its legal.

My gov is pretty nice about normal drugs. Like XTC, MDMA, cocaine, weed, hashish.. If you want you could even take your drugs to the medic or hospital and get it tested before you use it. You'll probably get jailed if you have a lot of it with you and get caught with it, but that's only with hard drugs. Weed and hashish is legal, max 5 grams per person.

We don't have problems with people on drugs, or not as much as in other countries where they feel they need to have a war on drugs. Either to get it stopped or fund their own wars.

I'm quite aware of the progressive approach the Netherlands has taken on drugs, and some other countries in Europe are following suit. However, the thread is about Australia/New Zealand and my comment on idiotic crimes was directed at Grayfox's comment of "when will these idiots learn?"

I'm quite aware of the progressive approach the Netherlands has taken on drugs, and some other countries in Europe are following suit. However, the thread is about Australia/New Zealand and my comment on idiotic crimes was directed at Grayfox's comment of "when will these idiots learn?"

A Sydney women smuggling/using/having possession of drugs in Bali, a place that is mentioned everyday in Australia due to Corby.
Anyone who has heard of Corby or the Bali nine and which adult hasn't in Australia knows about the jail sentence given to them for trying to smuggle in drugs.

Hm yes I did went a bit off topic there. But I'm not sure what your point is, who are these idiots and what should they do instead?

A Sydney women smuggling/using/having possession of drugs in Bali, a place that is mentioned everyday in Australia due to Corby.
Anyone who has heard of Corby or the Bali nine and which adult hasn't in Australia knows about the jail sentence given to them for trying to smuggle in drugs.

Okay, thanks for telling me what I already could figure out.

This doesn't change that you seem to think strong anti-drug laws reduces drug use, nor that you seem to have bought into the propaganda about drug use, etc.

Hm yes I did went a bit off topic there. But I'm not sure what your point is, who are these idiots and what should they do instead?

Ask Grayfox, he is the one asking about idiots and when will they learn.

I feel like you and I are in agreement but something got lost in translation :lol:

Okay, thanks for telling me what I already could figure out.

This doesn't change that you seem to think strong anti-drug laws reduces drug use, nor that you seem to have bought into the propaganda about drug use, etc.

Well the smugglers/dealers are off the street and the idiot part was directed at people smuggling drugs into a country where people know that if you could caught, you will face 20years or death.

Well the smugglers/dealers are off the street

Yeah, that isn't actually true. You may think it is because Big Brother told you it is, but prohibition laws certainly don't stop people from selling drugs. Or else all those drugs I've seen are just figments of my imagination. And the dealers that get arrested regularly, and so on.

Beyond that, why does it matter if people choose to do drugs? How does it effect you?

and the idiot part was directed at people smuggling drugs into a country where people know that if you could caught, you will face 20years or death.

I'm going to guess it is extremely lucrative to smuggle drugs into a country with such laws. Supply and demand is a very, very real thing. Would not be surprised for that every person that gets caught, a dozen get through and make incredible profits.

Years ago in one of my lessons at school, a woman came by to talk about her and her ending up in jail in Thailand. She was pregnant but alone. Heavy debt and addicted to gambling. One day she was approached by a man who told her he could solve her debt and she would end up making profit. At first she thought no way, I'm pregnant and that sort of thing is not what I would do. So weeks went by, her debt rising and still gambling. She couldn't get the thought of 'easy' money out of her head. The man came back a few times to ask her, eventually she agreed. She was supposed so ship 12kg of cocaine to Thailand. I don't remember how she shipped it, might be in bags or on her body but she didn't get caught at the Dutch airport. When she came of the plane in Thailand she was taken out of the check in line. She told us it happened like they already knew she had it. She went to prison for shipping 10kg of cocaine to Thailand. Where the other two kilos were is unknown. Maybe she just had 10 or somebody else took the 2. She ended up having her baby in prison, rats all over the place. If I remember correctly she was released after 7 years.

Yes, she knew the risk. But after she was given the option, it was too hot to pass..

Back