• Thread starter Conza
  • 15 comments

Conza

Sports Caraholic
Premium
Australia
Melbourne
Conza_No1
So I don't remember when I started looking, but I've recently become obsessed with 986 Boxsters, specifically the S model, '03 & '04. I don't see much improvement from the 987.1 but I do see them double in value, 981s are more than double again ($100k+)

1st Question:
Can you name an alternative mid-engined, rear wheel drive car? I'm struggling to think of many.

Toyota MR-2 (bit old, looks like a Boxster rip off the last "MR-S" ones too)
Lotus Elise / Vauxhal VX220 (striped out cars)
Honda / Acura NS-X (rare)

Most of its competitors are front-engined rear wheel drive cars, namely the Z4 and SLK.

2nd Question:
If you were in the market for a (lack of a better word) Sports car, what would you pick?

Cars In General

As for that class of car, you couldn't go wrong with a Honda S2000. S2000 was Britain's most satisfactory car to own for about 5 years in a row.

The NSX (grand tourer) isn't in the same category as the Boxster or SLK (convertible 'soft' sports car), neither is the Elise or VX220/Speedster (hardtop 'true' sports car).

Last edited:
Interesting your last comment "Hardtop 'true' sports car" I've recently decided to go with the traditional and opposite stance, no roof gives 'plus points' for sports car-ness

Interesting your last comment "Hardtop 'true' sports car" I've recently decided to go with the traditional and opposite stance, no roof gives 'plus points' for sports car-ness

Maybe my description isn't accurate but I'd definitely have the Boxster, S2000, TT and SLK in one category and the VX220/Speedster and Elise in another category.

Alfa 4C and Lotus Elise are the two most often compared with the Boxster for MR cars. Between the three, the Elise is the more stripped out and track focus while the Boxster is the more comfortable, practical daily sports car. The Alfa weirdly sits somewhere in the middle doing neither of those particularly outstanding from what I've heard.

It sounds like you are looking at second hand, so the 4C may be out of question for you.

I would have the 4C.

I can't really think of any real mid-engined competitors for an 11-year-old Boxter in the same price range. Elise is technically one, but it isn't really a same type of a car, and at least here it's starting to get difficult to find a good one for anything near the same price as a Boxter.

Anyway, I'd still take the Elise if it is a good one for a reasonable price. A convertible isn't going to be a practical choice here anyway, and I wouldn't really care about the Elise being a worse all-rounder, when the other cars would get nearly as bad, every time the weather gets worse than perfect. If I could spend a little more, I'd probably opt for a Cayman, as it'd be nearly ideal choice combining most the good bits of the Boxter with a proper roof.

Still think the Elise, VX220 and MR2 W30 are significantly smaller cars, the 4C and S2000 are a little closer. And the Evora. I like early Caymans, well any Caymans (only like the latest gen of Boxsters really) but if you'd wanted a hardtop Boxster that would be a given, so presumably you don't.

Yeah I do have a budget that doesn't allow for a;

Alfa Romeo 4C
981/987 Cayman or 981 Boxster (I could probably just edge up to a 987.1 Boxster, but weirdly I don't like them as much, steering wheel, rear lights, wheels).
Evora also too expensive

@Tyger I used to really want hardtops, then I drove a Boxster on a sunny day with the roof down and sunglasses on - I really liked it.
Besides, If they had made a 986 Cayman then, I would seriously consider it, quite like Caymans, but it would be more expensive.

@Liquid Just RE: the NSX-T (T for Targa), Its amazingly similar to the Boxster S of the same generation. Identical engine size (yes 3179cc for both) NSX has more power (10-30bhp depending on year), while the Boxster S has more torque, really interesting comparing them now, back then the NSX was twice the price of the Boxster S. But yes, the NSX weighs in at 1435kgs while the Boxster is at 1295kgs

Also the TT I'm not considering because I think it's A. too similar to my current car (MKV GTI) and B. Haldex with or without a V6 in the front, couldn't hold a candle to the Boxster for handling.

@Legro I would say the Elise kinda qualifies. It wouldn't have the same engine note, quality of interior, but it may handle in the same league and without the roof on it, looks pretty convertible-ish to me.
lotus-elise-wallpaper-800x600.jpg

Any thoughts on a Z4? They're around the same price as a 986 Boxster S

I'd generally favor a 986/987 (largely because I've owned an FR and an RR Porsche--it'd be nice to complete the set), but I've had the opportunity to drive S2000s both on the road and on tarmac and they are truly exceptional vehicles. Torqueless wonders, sure, but you really don't need a whole lot to push those little things around.

Attempting to see past my general bias against BMWs, I'm still given to understand the Z4 is a little on the sluggish side and geared toward people who are more interested in top-down than sporty.

@Legro I would say the Elise kinda qualifies. It wouldn't have the same engine note, quality of interior, but it may handle in the same league and without the roof on it, looks pretty convertible-ish to me.
It's not really the open top I meant. It's the fact the Elise is more of a dedicated lightweight track day car when compared to a Boxter, which is simply much easier to use for daily tasks than the Elise.

Hey @TexRex 928 and 911? If so / not so which ones?

I like BMWs, but they generally seem a bit on the heavy side for some reason. I like many of the Z4s, especially 3.0 litre + varieties. The E86 from 2006 or the E89 sDrive30i seems to be the closest match for performance.

@Legro Fair enough, I think you're probably right, it depends how comfortable the car is, I haven't looked into its luggage capacity outside the cockpit either. Also I'm not sure where the torque is on those cars either.

A 944 or 968 convertible would be fun, but not mid-engined, and probably not without problems further down the line.

Now mind you it was nearly 15 years ago that I owned it, but, despite the fact that it had some years on it already, my 944 was flawless--I don't doubt that it not being a Turbo model contributed to that. The only issue was that I had a small child and it didn't have enough seats should my wife be unable to transport her.

Back