Anyone here went from a PS3 fat to a PS3 slim?

• Thread starter hot_cheese
  • 29 comments
hot_cheese
My 60GB PS3 fat died a few days ago, I finally found out it was due to a faulty blu-ray laser/drive. Warranty expired so instead of fixing it I bough a new slim and used the old one as a media server.

I really don't know if this is a placebo effect or what but the slim feels faster than the PS3 fat when playing GT5. Launching game and load time is slightly faster.

Just wondering if anyone upgrade to the slim and notice a performance gain.

Just a question... does your fat-ps3 saved game work on your new slim-ps3?...

I am doing backups but i would know if it will be useful in a new slim ps3 in case of critical failure and i buy a new one :nervous:

Copying save works fine, i have just gone from a fatty 80 gig (was having probs with drive thinking there was a disc in when there wasn't) to a new 160 gig slim. The load times are slightly quicker probably down to better harddrive unit also i would say picture quality is slightly improved on the slim overall compared to my old fat, seems sharper.

Saved game still works as long as you are using the same PSN account on the new slim. However, the game installed data can not be transferred, which mean you have to wait almost 2 hours to download the new 1.5 update and also the 8GB install.

I'd upgrade to slim, only if I could copy my data.

Get a Slim and do a data transfer through attaching both PS3s by an Ethernet cable, everything would be transferred including demos, settings, copy protected saves and anything else you have. That is what I did, can't believe people are playing with the 60GB PS3 with GT5. Crazy thing to do I think as it will most likely break down in a few months, cheaper to get a new slim, copy everything over and then sell the 60gb. This is a lot cheaper than having to try and fix the 60GB when it is broken to try and copy all old data. Also resale value goes down a lot. The slims also take 66% less power and run much cooler and quieter, perfect for B-Spec grinding with knowledge the console should be very reliable for many years yet 👍.

I don't even know how to back up my data... :lol:

Just need a flash drive big enough to fit the save file on, stick it into one of the usb ports go to your save file and hit triangle then copy.
Should let you copy it onto the flash drive and there you go.

I bought a new 320GB slim 2 weeks ago. My old 40GB was starting to sound like vacuum cleaner, so I decided to beat the YLOD to the punch by buying a slim.

It's probably just that the Slim have a newer and faster hdd. But you can easily change you hdd at PS3 Fat, so I don't think Slim is faster in any other way than just a slightly faster hdd.

I didn't notice any improvement, but I had already swapped out my 60gb for 250gb. Wifi receiver seems much better though and I have more audio options. I miss my phat, it looked nicer, 4 usb slots, almost silent bluray drive, backward compatibility. (Weeps why did you die. WHY!!?)

I believe the wifi is also better on the slim. Better signal and speed from my experience.

I have had two slims, sold/returned both because their noise is irritating, much more high pitched than the old 80G phat.

The phatty has been on 24/7 since christmas and I just hope it lasts, no probs so far.

ive recently gone from a 60gb fatty to a 160gb slim. i would say that the game runs better, but i only got 4 hours of game play before the bluray drive died. :( heres my setup now:

IMG_0576-1.jpg

Phillips 32" HDTV
Logitech X540 surround sound (running in stereo)
PS3 60gb Fatty running playTV and connected to 500gb westgate external harddrive
(out of shot) Logitech Driving Force GT

i have the sound from both playstations running through the logitech speakers, only downside is that i have to change the red/white phono cables over to get sound. bit of a hassle but its worth it. advantage is that i can still use the fat ps3 for playTV and ps2 games, as well as a media viewer as it has a sd card reader. new slim of only for gaming a bluray films. not the most expensive of setups but it does me well :)

EDIT: Please excure the bright pink emma bridgewater box, its the only one i could find that was big enough to fold all my fines and random crap in my room :)

Sorry to dig up and old thread, but I just got a new slim after my launch 60gb fat died. I was looking around to see if there was any facts online that the new slims are actualy faster than the original launch machines, because I'm noticing a difference on every one of my old games.

The major difference seems to be with the frame rate - I'm pretty sure the new machines are cable of holding a much more consistent high frame rate - with my old 60gb the frame rate would drop at times in GT5, and definitely it was noticable in GTA IV. With the slim the graphics are much more silky smooth.

Another example - the scrolling grid line up across the top of the screen while the game was loading in GT5 on my 60gb, it would judder horribly across the screen in a way that really surprised me that the PS3 couldn't do simple text scrolling across the screen much smoother than what I was seeing. On my new slim it's silky smooth.

There are difference's between the old machines and the new ones. Nothing to do with graphics quality, but it seems the newer machines are able to pump out the graphics without breaking a sweat whereas the old machine would start up the jet engine fan the minute anything complex started happening on screen :)

Copying save works fine, i have just gone from a fatty 80 gig (was having probs with drive thinking there was a disc in when there wasn't) to a new 160 gig slim. The load times are slightly quicker probably down to better harddrive unit also i would say picture quality is slightly improved on the slim overall compared to my old fat, seems sharper.

picture quality is 100% the same XD , Slims aren't better or more reliable than a fat Ps3 they get the YLOD to! upgrade the paste!!!!

There's no difference, its just that you old one was infact, old, maybe full.

If you take 2 computers that are the same, use one harddrive and leave one unused, you'll see the unused one works much better. Same applies to your situation.

I did my fat ps3 sort of converted itself from playing ps3 games to ps1 games and it'll let ya play downloaded games and i bought the ps3 slim afterwards

My 40gb was five years old when it suddenly got the YLOD. About six months ago I purchased a 160gb Slim model, but to be honest, I haven't noticed any difference on performance. The Slim runs as good as my old fat one did 'til the last day.

The only difference is that it's much quieter and it gets really hot, but other than that, it is exactly the same.

About transfering the data form one to another, I really didn't bother... I just started everything all over.

my fat 60GB died two weeks after GT5 came out, didn't really notice a difference with the slim, it runs much quieter though.

I just temporarily transferred all of my stuff to a 3000 PS3 last week from a dying CECHA model, and other than the fans being quieter and the BD drive being much louder, there is no difference between the two when it comes to playing games.

I have a launch 80 gig that has been cleaned 5 times cause it wouldn't read discs anymore, new laser once, brought back from ylod once and has been running well for 7 months. Also bought a slim about a year ago. Just keep them cool.

I have. I have an old 60gb fatty and the blue ray drive broke, I still have it hooked up to play PS2 games tho. I moved my account over to my main slim using my big tv. I also have a second slim hooked up to my racing wheel. I have 2 copies of GT5 so I can race head to head with friends when they come over (which sadly doesn't happen much, almost none of my friends really care about GT so it's rare)

My 40 gb ps3 died a month ago after 4 years of service havent noticed any change in performance with my new 320gb slim.

Back