Are you okay with GT5 going 720p native instead of 1080p?

• Thread starter skingg
  • 136 comments
skingg-R
Does anyone notice all the recent videos of the Tokyo city circuit having only some 10 cars on track? It could be due to being a city circuit as GT5:Prologue has 12 cars(iirc) in London but that was when every cars were some 200,000 polygons each. Now with GT5 Kaz said they have upped each cars to some 400,000 polygons, anyone thinks we may have less cars on screen in the final game as opposed to the 16? I mean, 10 cars in Tokyo and people are reporting the game has screen tearing issues, perhaps cutting down on the resolution from the current 1280 x 1080p to 720p might resolve this as not to stress the PS3?

Not to nit-pick, but 1080p is 1920x1080... and I hope they can keep it at 1080 since that's the native resolution of my TV (and every other 1080 set) and the picture always look better on an LCD at the native res. I also have a feeling that they may be willing to sacrifice the maximum grid size so they can shove in more eye candy for bragging rights. It wouldn't be my design choice, but the way the game business is these days...

My Bravia resolves 720 resolution amazingly well, but not all 1080 sets do. However, the 16 car offline grids have spoiled me, and I want a full field, so however Kazunori need to do it, I say, fill that track up.

In KY, we trust! Whatever he decides is best in the end will be the right thing to do.

My Bravia resolves 720 resolution amazingly well, but not all 1080 sets do. However, the 16 car offline grids have spoiled me, and I want a full field, so however Kazunori need to do it, I say, fill that track up.
Same here, my X series Bravia does well with 720p material, but GT5P definitely looks a lot sharper when run at 1080p. I can't say I'm too bothered about having 16 cars on track at once though. I'd be happy with just 10 cars if it came to it.

Just to say quickly... since I don't own an HDTV, this is a non-issue to me (and wouldn't matter too much even if I did have an HDTV in my room. I'm okay with standard resolution graphics. The game will still be eye candy regardless. It will still be beautiful to me no matter what resolution the graphics are or how far the graphical capabilities will be.

I dont think i would mind, if he needs to make it 720p to be able to have 16 cars on track then i wont mind. I like a decent amount of cars on track to make it a challenge.

If PD were to drop to 720P, i'd be very dissappointed if less than 20 cars started, and weather / night&day weren't implemented perfectly.

After spending years as a PC gamer, i would be happier if i was given the choice in a 'graphics' menu.

As for tearing, i have yet to see it on my Panny 42" plasma, is it a common occurance it GT5:P?

It's nice to hear that the polygon count has DOUBLED for GT5!:drool:
Photomode will be brilliant!:eek:
R*

Just to say quickly... since I don't own an HDTV, this is a non-issue to me (and wouldn't matter too much even if I did have an HDTV in my room. I'm okay with standard resolution graphics. The game will still be eye candy regardless. It will still be beautiful to me no matter what resolution the graphics are or how far the graphical capabilities will be.

You're only saying that because you don't have a Full HDTV...once you get one and watch it for a while, and marvel at the quality of the picture, you can never go back to anything less...

believe me, I've been down that road...

You're only saying that because you don't have a Full HDTV...once you get one and watch it for a while, and marvel at the quality of the picture, you can never go back to anything less...

^^^ 👍

If PD were to drop to 720P, i'd be very dissappointed if less than 20 cars started, and weather / night&day weren't implemented perfectly.

After spending years as a PC gamer, i would be happier if i was given the choice in a 'graphics' menu.

As for tearing, i have yet to see it on my Panny 42" plasma, is it a common occurance it GT5:P?

When playing GT5P on my series 6 Samsung LCD at 1080p, when you go into a corner with a few other cars around, the studdering is terrible! Something I really hope is resolved in GT5, but I do wonder how that would happen... especially if weather gets in...

I agree strongly. I had a 36" widescreen SDTV for years that served me well but then one day it died on me and i had to retire it reluctantly.

I got a 42" 1080p tv and i couldnt quite believe the difference, the small little details like the stitching on ur gloves as ur driving becomes visible and the texture of the material they're made of looks almost 3 dimensional in its clarity whilst the colours literally pop from the screen in a way i just wasnt expecting at all.

SDTV is acceptable but once u go HD it will totally transform the experience in ways u didnt expect at all.

720p is fine with me as long as the framerate is rock solid at 60fps, the AA is increased, has no screen tearing, and all tracks have at least 16 cars(when applicable).

i belive he'll do whats best, gameplay wise.

but he also promised the game would run in 1080p. so i doubt he'll reduce the resolution.

maybe, he'll reduce the amount of polygons rendered per car, in those more demanding tracks? (is that possiple?) so for example in london, the game shows 200K polygons on a car, and in a more open track like high speed ring, it shows all 400K

I have a 1080 philips 42" plasma & believe it or not I think games that output at 720 can look smoother than games with 1080, an example I can think of straight away is Burnout Paradise which is 720 and in my opinion looks smoother than GT5P at 1080.

I don't know why this is but to my eyes that is what I'm seeing

Is your tv 1080p or 1080i? Thats a huge difference.
I cant say it often enough, after playing WipEout HD or GT5P in 1080p, every 720p game feels "cramped" (even upscaled). Of course they still look great (i mean, seriously, just look at Uncharted 2), but it just isnt the same. You get more depth in 1080p, it feels like you can grab into the screen and you dont have to concentrate so much while looking at the picture. It feels more natural.

And i wouldnt overrate that 10 car thing, it could be a design choice for the track, R246 can get pretty narrow at some points. The other GT5 trailers (E3 and the Mercedes video) had 16 cars on track.

My PS3 set itself to 1080p & my SkyHD Box set itself to 1080i

I do get the sense of depth & texture in the pictures but I still feel that 720p games can look smoother than 1080p

I have a 1080 philips 42" plasma & believe it or not I think games that output at 720 can look smoother than games with 1080, an example I can think of straight away is Burnout Paradise which is 720 and in my opinion looks smoother than GT5P at 1080.

I don't know why this is but to my eyes that is what I'm seeing
Well, it would help if you compared the same games at different resolutions for a start, and also took into account the native resolution of the games. Burnout Paradise is native 720, so no real surprise it might look better/smoother. The fact is, all things being equal, GT5P looks better in 1080 than it does 720. Anything different is purely down to your own TV, configuration, and perception.

Last edited:
Back