Assigning controls

• Thread starter Fanapryde
  • 28 comments
Belgium
Belgium
Driving in cockpit view on triple screen setup, I still want to take a glance left or right and (like in PCars) look around in the cockpit.
Now, my Fanatec Porsche 918 RSR wheel has a very nice joystick for that purpose. If it only worked in AC...
I can map some controls to the buttons on my wheel, even one or two to my button box, but that's it...really ?

Why are there so little controls to map ?
A horn.... who needs a horn !

Rev lights and gear indicators on the wheel don't work either. I installed Fanaleds and got the gear indicators working, but the rev lights only light up when driving in the pitlane ?? Once you enter the track, they stop working.

If you use joytokey you can map all you want to what button you choose.
Thanks, I may try that, but it says on their site that it may not work in Windows 7-8-10 ...
AC has a profile for the V2/Porsche 918 RSR combo, so why is it the joystick is not recognized ? It works very well in PCars...

I would like to control seat position, FOV and ARB's from my button box, but that seems to be not possible either.

If you're in the game itself, you can go to the right of the screen, then a line thing will pop up, and you can select: driver positioning, you can change all of that there
(Sorry for broken english)

If you're in the game itself, you can go to the right of the screen, then a line thing will pop up, and you can select: driver positioning, you can change all of that there
(Sorry for broken english)
Thanks, I knew that.
But since I have a dedicated button box, I like to control all this stuff "on the fly".
I don't see myself (e.g.) changing the seat position via the pop up menu, while driving.
Really surprised to see that is not possible in AC (while other sims allow it).

Thanks, I knew that.
But since I have a dedicated button box, I like to control all this stuff "on the fly".
I don't see myself (e.g.) changing the seat position via the pop up menu, while driving.
Really surprised to see that is not possible in AC (while other sims allow it).

Yeah, it's not possible in AC, sadly. I too like to adjust seat position/FOV on the fly using keyboard keys but for some reason AC is very limited/restrictive on what you can map to keys. Same with the joystick, for some reason they don't recognize it as an acceptable controller.

About the shift lights, the story is that the Fanaleds people are getting fed up with AC's updates constantly breaking things and while it used to work fine a recent update broke it and they haven't decided if they're going to bother fixing it since the next update will likely break it again. Can't blame them really, but it's frustrating to see AC refuse to properly support these peripheral devices that we like to spend money on. Supposedly this file will fix the issue but it didn't really work for me. I've found that when I first go on track everything works fine, but as soon as I exit to the main menu and then reload the track everything but the gear indicator stops working. But, that's not 100% the case because I also find it depends on which car I'm using. If I'm using a Kunos car they sometimes will start working again but in a mod car I'm lucky if they work at all.

Last edited:
After a Fanatec firmware update today (to solve a brake problem on the V3 - which worked) I lost my rev lights again in AC.
I checked all things I could think of, repàlaced the ac.xml file just to be sure, but rev lights are still dead.
(They do work when testing).
I reported on the Fanaleds Forum, see if they can help me, maybe the file needs an update ?

After a Fanatec firmware update today (to solve a brake problem on the V3 - which worked) I lost my rev lights again in AC.
I checked all things I could think of, repàlaced the ac.xml file just to be sure, but rev lights are still dead.
(They do work when testing).
I reported on the Fanaleds Forum, see if they can help me, maybe the file needs an update ?
Sadly I'm used to the issue in AC now with the rev lights. They work perfectly in iRacing.

Sadly I'm used to the issue in AC now with the rev lights. They work perfectly in iRacing.
Just got word from Fanaleds: it seems to be a compatibility problem and will be resolved with Fanaleds v 2.4, which is coming "soon".
And yes, in pCars and R3E they still work fine. Only issues are in AC.

After the latest AC patch, rev lights issue is still present.
LCD screen on the wheel is not working either.
Using Fanaleds, at least speed and gear are shown, but no lights, not even in the pitlane like it was before.
Kunos just does not seem to care...

Last edited:
May I ask you guys why would you want to change your seating position "on the fly"? Yes, I've had to adjust my seating position for some cars - get it closer to the dash than usual or maybe raise my seat up a bit so my eyes see more of my hood. But I do all of that before I start driving. I'm not criticizing anyone, I'm just baffled! What situations make you want to change physical position on the fly? Do you do that in your real life car too? Seriously. Maybe I'm missing out on something here...

May I ask you guys why would you want to change your seating position "on the fly"? Yes, I've had to adjust my seating position for some cars - get it closer to the dash than usual or maybe raise my seat up a bit so my eyes see more of my hood. But I do all of that before I start driving. I'm not criticizing anyone, I'm just baffled! What situations make you want to change physical position on the fly? Do you do that in your real life car too? Seriously. Maybe I'm missing out on something here...
Depends if you have lock camera to horizon enabled or not. If you have, tracks with strong elevation changes sometimes result in not being able to see the track, or not being able to see the gauges, because the car interior is moving up/down too much. In that case a quick adjust on the fly is very helpful.
If Kunos could/would make some sort of slider for the lock camera (like pCars) I would have less need for a on the fly adjustability of the seat position.

Last edited:

Like Fanapryde said, usually what happens is I adjust my seating position while I'm in the pits and stationary, but then when I start driving the interior starts moving/shaking about or my "virtual driver" starts moving in the seat and suddenly I can't see all of my gauges anymore and need to make a quick adjustment. Or I approach a turn and notice that the A-pillar is blocking too much of my view to the apex and need to make a quick adjustment. Or once I get moving I feel like maybe I had the seat back a bit too far and want to scoot it up a notch and need to make a quick adjustment. In games like R3E and rF2 I can just reach over to my arrow keys and easily make the adjustment but in AC I have to grab the mouse and fiddle with the app (which I've gotten pretty good at but it still results in a crash half the time). It's not a huge deal and nothing I complain about with AC, but it is a little more convenient in other games.

And yes, I often make adjustments in my real car. I don't have fancy power seats that remember my seating position so every time I drive I slide it to where I think is good but after I drive a couple miles I sometimes feel I'm a little too close or far away for comfortable clutch operation and will slide it forward/backward a notch.

It's one of those things that doesn't make much sense

So, how do ya map the clutch for the dfgt? Off topic question, how do you get rid of the stupid, warning 95% cpu thing. Checked the cpu, 45%! Thanks.

Thanks guys. I never enabled lock camera to horizon. No wonder I wasn't aware of what you were talking about. :)

Thanks guys. I never enabled lock camera to horizon. No wonder I wasn't aware of what you were talking about. :)

I don't enable it either, that just makes the camera/view move around even more. I think part of it is that I can't fully decide on what FOV/POV I want, I try to go with the "mathematically correct" FOV but I still end up tinkering with it a bit on each car. I find if I have the seat/POV too far forward or back it makes me perceive the handling slightly differently so I'm often doing little adjustments back and forth until I find a sweet spot. I guess I just like to fiddle with things. :P

I don't enable it either, that just makes the camera/view move around even more. I think part of it is that I can't fully decide on what FOV/POV I want, I try to go with the "mathematically correct" FOV but I still end up tinkering with it a bit on each car. I find if I have the seat/POV too far forward or back it makes me perceive the handling slightly differently so I'm often doing little adjustments back and forth until I find a sweet spot. I guess I just like to fiddle with things. :P

I find that if I get the FOV to far out of wack the timing in Simvibe gets out of sync. Not by a lot but enough that it really bugs me.

The new "console" FOV is closer to correct than the calculator is for me. Using the app with correct measurements puts me to far back and too low in the seat. I just punch my numbers in then "slide my seat" way forward and up to align the gauges with my wheel.

If you change your seat position, can you save it or do you have to do this every time you drive the car ?

I find that if I get the FOV to far out of wack the timing in Simvibe gets out of sync. Not by a lot but enough that it really bugs me.

The new "console" FOV is closer to correct than the calculator is for me. Using the app with correct measurements puts me to far back and too low in the seat. I just punch my numbers in then "slide my seat" way forward and up to align the gauges with my wheel.

That's basically what I do too, my numbers in the triple screen app are all correct to the real measurements but I usually end up scooting the seat forward a bit to where I can see my gauges through my wheel. I typically have the A-piller right where the monitors join together, it's not quite as close up as the new dash camera but pretty close to that. Varies from car to car, of course, but I try to get things like the pillar and mirrors in the same basic position as my real car.

If you change your seat position, can you save it or do you have to do this every time you drive the car ?

You can save it, and a little warning even pops up to notify you that you need to save it if you've made adjustments since your last save. And it saves each car individually. 👍

You made a very good point, @BrandonW77. I've noticed, as I'm sure you have too, that even with official Kunos cars that the view is not even close to being the same with every single car. Meaning, I keep my FOV locked at 40 but sometimes I'm really close to the dash and the wheel seems really big. Other times I feel a little too far back and have to adjust my seat forward a bit. You're right....Nearly every car is different. That's kind of odd too because even GT6 managed to keep things uniform when you moved from car to car. Maybe it's just easier to do that when you're not allowed to really adjust anything like in GT6? God, I so wish I had a triple monitor setup. There are so many times when I literally have no idea what's to the left of me when turning left (like the tight hairpins at Vallelunga). I mapped "look left" to the square and "look right" to the circle on my DFGT because of this. Helicorsa helps a bit too. Poor console users...wont be able to install mod apps. That sucks.

You made a very good point, @BrandonW77. I've noticed, as I'm sure you have too, that even with official Kunos cars that the view is not even close to being the same with every single car. Meaning, I keep my FOV locked at 40 but sometimes I'm really close to the dash and the wheel seems really big. Other times I feel a little too far back and have to adjust my seat forward a bit. You're right....Nearly every car is different.

Yeah, I rarely/never find the default seating position to my liking. Some are close, others require drastic changes. One thing I find odd is a lot of cars seems to have a negative pitch with the default settings. I think one of the new Red Pack cars had -6 pitch as the default, made me feel like a proper gangsta. :odd: :lol:

hqdefault.jpg

I find the closer interior view a lot better. No need to adjust anything either. Then again I'm playing on a 15 inch laptop :lol: In most cases I just use hood cam though.

IMO VR is the way to go if you want to properly drive in cockpit view with correct POV. Cost wise it doesn't make sense to go triple screen now (unless you already have one set up of course).

I find the closer interior view a lot better. No need to adjust anything either. Then again I'm playing on a 15 inch laptop :lol: In most cases I just use hood cam though.

IMO VR is the way to go if you want to properly drive in cockpit view with correct POV. Cost wise it doesn't make sense to go triple screen now (unless you already have one set up of course).
I've thought about using that newly implemented in-car, but very close to the dash view that you're talking about. But then I figure I'm missing the entire in-car experience. It does help though, I've tried it for a few minutes on maybe 2 or 3 cars. You definitely get a view that's more wide open.

Although I really don't care about VR at the moment, I will admit that some of the videos I've watched are freakin' awesome! You can't get more immersive than that. I'll wait for the prices to go down...I'll probably have a new computer at that point too, so it's gonna be quite a while, and then maybe I'll give it a go. I haven't really heard anyone talk about any disadvantages to VR driving with Assetto Corsa. I have a hard time believing it's absolutely, 100% perfect at this point. So, I wonder what some actual complaints may be.

I've thought about using that newly implemented in-car, but very close to the dash view that you're talking about. But then I figure I'm missing the entire in-car experience. It does help though, I've tried it for a few minutes on maybe 2 or 3 cars. You definitely get a view that's more wide open.

Although I really don't care about VR at the moment, I will admit that some of the videos I've watched are freakin' awesome! You can't get more immersive than that. I'll wait for the prices to go down...I'll probably have a new computer at that point too, so it's gonna be quite a while, and then maybe I'll give it a go. I haven't really heard anyone talk about any disadvantages to VR driving with Assetto Corsa. I have a hard time believing it's absolutely, 100% perfect at this point. So, I wonder what some actual complaints may be.

It does cut out a lot of the interior, but there's always the look left/right button ;) For driving you want to look at the grey stuff anyway, not the leather stitching on the dashboard :P

Indeed VR is awesome. The next step will be Google Glass/Hololens style augmented reality or holographic display, but we're still some years off that I think :P Problem for me would be price as you said, and since I'm on a laptop I can't really upgrade my system either. I'm also concerned about long term effects for the eye - looking at a screen literally in front of your eyes can't be good long term :scared: I'll just wait for the tech to mature a bit and prices to come down. I'm quite happy with my current display arrangement :)

I share the same concerns, Legend-1... especially the effects on my vision. If anyone remembers the movie "The Jerk", I don't wanna end up like those people who bought Steve Martin's glasses invention. :lol: I run AC on a laptop too, but hopefully mine will last at least a couple of years. I went all out with an i7, two GTX965M in SLI (8GB), 16GB Ram that's upgradeable and two SSD drives. I know the video cards aren't the best, but having 2 should allow me to keep up with any updates Kunos throws at us -- I hope! :boggled: :nervous:

Back