Beginners tips and hints.

• Thread starter jrbabbitt
  • 4 comments

jrbabbitt

Premium
United States
Charleston, SC
TCR_JimyBee
Hello, I am currently in Book 35 Nissan GT-R, I have not rushed through getting everything because I enjoy the chase of it all and I also have a busy demanding job also.
I have ideas i can pass on to everyone and anyone who is starting out, ideas an tips to make your experience a bit easier. These tips are not in any order, just as I think of them...
A) It rains here, so get heavy wet tyres for the cars you will use predominantly. When you are going to start a race, listen to the characters, they will give you hints if it will rain in your race, and if it is more clouds than sun before you start moe likely it will rain and USE the wet tyres.
B) You will find that one or two of the cars you get or have can be used for many of the "menu" races, these will be the cars that you will do heavy tuning to win those races.
C) If there's no tyre restriction, install racing tyres.
D) As mentioned above, characters in the game are real GT racers which won the major tournaments, they will be very helpful in the advice they give. One of them has a YT channel I trust for info on this game, he also does the weekly daily race guides on GT Sport here.
E) Don't be concerned if you want / need to turn the difficulty to easy at times, it will NOT affect the payout of winning and it makes the "clean race" bonus easier to obtain (50% added to payout for a clean race)
F) most importantly, Don't take this seriously, this is just a game, a very well done racing simulator, but the main thing Is to have FUN while you are here. Yes it's great to be the best but it is not the end your world if you are not. When you get into the multiplayer / sport areas, you will be with others with same passion and drive that they want to be the best, so don't take it personal if you get shoved off, they just wanted more and got too aggressive with it. Remember have fun.

This is all I have at moment, I will add to this and accept all other ideas to make this a great starting point for beginners.

My main suggestion.
Start the café and have fun if it gets too difficult.
Go to the licenses and do them as well as you can and like, the further you advance in the licenses the better for you and your skills in GT7 to be able to drive a car. And as the best "gift" on top of that you can win some cars that can help you in the café and also later in the races.

If you want to further improve your driving skills. Do the track experiences and the missions. It all takes time and the rewards seem small, but you get a few cars AND more importantly you get much better control over the cars and on top of that you learn the tracks.

Brakes...
When buying the brakes in GT Auto, either the racing or the really expensive carbon brakes you need to buy the racing brake pads at same time or you will not get the good braking performance you want.
Also do not "slam" on brakes at last minute, the higher end brakes work best when you gradually apply them.

There is a lot of discussion on the physics thread about the slidey nature of rear wheel drive cars. Whether or not it's realistic aside, I'd recommend beginners to avoid RWD cars wherever they can and stick to FF or AWD.

My personal favourite is the R8 4.2 '07. Buyable from the Brand Central wherever, was clutch for some of the starting drag races, and is a godsend in the rainy races even on street tyres. Such a stable, no drama drive with ample power and sublime handling. Can't say enough good things about it.

Last edited:
- Make use of the Circuit Experiences and Time Trials. You won't earn if you don't learn, and learning how to get around a track without pinballing everywhere is important if you want those clean race bonuses (protip: you do want them).

- Custom races are a good way to learn how to deal with driving in the rain, and you can also set how much water is already on the track at race start to see how things change as a track gets wetter or drier over time. I would say stick to one-make races to keep the AI nonsense to a minimum though, so you don't have random AMGs and Raptors barreling down on you while you get used to cornering on a wet track.

- Don't be afraid to invest in cars you like to use. If you want to buy more upgrades to make a car usable in as many events as possible go ahead and do it, you'll make those credits back in due time and it's more cost effective overall than a pile of one-and-done cars you never use again.

- At the same time though, don't go too crazy with upgrading. Remember that a number of things can't be reversed without replacing the engine or body, and that wipes out everything so all the credits spent will be lost. Also some upgrades can actually make a car worse if applied in the wrong combinations. Stick with swappable parts at first until you get an idea of where the more permanent upgrades will do the most good.

Back