United States
GR-MI-USA
YSSMAN
YSSMAN
The 2008 “Best Car Series”

Presented by Mercury

Mercury_Logo.jpg

Yeah, we’re still making cars

Yes folks, its time to revive an old favorite, but we’re going to put a bit of a twist on the old formula this time around. As some of you may recall, it was the late summer of 2006 and inspired by an episode of Top Gear in which they attempted to find “The Best British Car,” I created the “Best Car Series” on GTP. Going between the assorted world powers and their automobiles, we users of GTP managed to make a list of what was believed to be the “Worlds Best Cars” and eventually pick the winner. The all-time nominees circa 2006:

* BMC Mini
* Lamborghini Muria
* Bugatti Veyron
* Mazda MX-5 Miata
* Hyundai Tiburon/Coupe
* Holden Monaro
* Koenigsegg CC
* Porsche 911
* Chevrolet Corvette

The race ended up essentially as a landslide, the Porsche 911 taking over 40% of the votes (the Corvette came second, the Mini third). The post-party had a small discussion of what exactly should be considered for the next time, and for that matter, how long it should be until we do a new one. I think in this case, with the rules change, now is the time to try it again.

===

THE SETUP:

We will continue this as a true “world series” event in which the major car producing nations of the world will compete against one another. Think of this as some kind of Olympics for the cars of the world. We will use the following categories:

- North America (USA, Canada, Mexico)
- The United Kingdom
- France
- Germany
- Italy
- China
- Japan
- World (will include cars from Korea, Australia, Sweden, India, Russia, Malaysia, Netherlands, etc… These countries have one to two brands, some of which produce only one model. There are obvious stand outs, this will make it interesting.)

For the sake of avoiding confusion, we will honor the roots of a given car company despite its current ownership. The Bugatti question was befuddled a bit before, and this time I shall state it as a German car. Makes like Land Rover and Jaguar will remain British, as will Lotus, etc.

HOWEVER! In this thread we can discuss it if there is any opposition to that process.

===

THE RULES:

All cars to be nominated will be that of which are currently in production (model year 2008-2009) and are unlimited to their size and scope. The key is to nominate, vote for and defend those of which you believe to be the best car produced and sold under the banner of a given country, and while roadsters and hypercars make for good posters, they may not best represent what is best all around. It must be produced right now (or very shortly), no historical models.

Individual threads will be created for the nomination process of the series all at once. Each member will be allowed to nominate one car (and ONLY ONE CAR) or second that of another. After a set period of days (likely to be between 4-7), the nomination thread will be locked and proceed to a voting thread. All cars will be voted upon for a similar amount of time (4-7 days) before TWO CARS will be selected to represent their given nation.

Once the final two cars from each nation are found, they will be entered into a bracket system in which in small daily periods cars will face off against each other to eventually gain the title of “Worlds Best Car 2008.” If you’re at all familiar with the NCAA Basketball brackets, you get the idea… Sixteen finalists go down to eight. Eight into four. Four into two. Then the final showdown.

===

CLOSING THOUGHT:

Again, this thread is here to sort out the rules a bit more clearly, so if there is opposition, please voice it now. I do hope to get the series rolling again before the end of the week. I think the new rules will make it very interesting, and at the very least, it should be a lot of fun.

====================================

THE BRACKETS!

gtpbracketvt1.gif

=====================================

Just to keep a running tally...

Representing Great Britain:
Aston Martin DB9
Lotus Exige 240 S

Representing The People's Republic of China:
FAW Vita C1
Buick Park Avenue

Representing France
The Renaultsport Clio 197
The Renaultsport Megane R26

Representing Japan
The Nissan GT-R
The Honda S2000

Representing North America
The Chevrolet Corvette
The Cadillac CTS

Representing Germany
The Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG Black Series
The Audi R8

Representing Italy
The Alfa Romeo 8C
The FIAT 500

Representing "The World"

The 'Egg CCX-R
The Holden Commodore

Last edited:
The Bugatti question was befuddled a bit before, and this time I shall state it as a German car. Makes like Land Rover and Jaguar will remain British, as will Lotus, etc.
"Just accept it" is a fair response to my question, but surely if the others are British then Bugatti should be French?

"Just accept it" is a fair response to my question, but surely if the others are British then Bugatti should be French?

Neh, German. No matter who owns Jaguar, Land Rover or Lotus, they have a constant unbroken history of being built in the UK. Bugatti's haven't been built in France for 50 years. Modern Bugatti's are as German as Lederhosen.

are we to post the nominees here, or just discuss the running of the contest?

On a side note, I'm pretty certain none of the cars of Ford Europe are made in the US... same goes with the US-spec Fords not being made in Europe, are going to have a separate rank for them? Then again, who's going to vote for Furd US *snickers*

Last edited:
So you will make a nomination thread for each "country" where we will post our nominations? I can think of 2 cars for the "world" already that deserve to win, and tbh I'll be damned if anyone disagrees with me.:P

Side note: Hmm, gee, I wonder which car will win this competition.:rolleyes: (I can think of 2 reasons why the GT-R shouldn't.:P)

I already have a car in mind, but I'll wait to see what everyone else nominates.

BTW Brad, that is one of the worst mis-spellings I have ever seen of the word, "Miura". For shame. :P

Sounds good to me. Will we be excluding the 911 from the running?

No, the 911 is just as eligible as any other car out there. The key is that we're only considering the 2008/2009 Porsche 911 (and its variants), nothing before, nothing after. Even if it will (presumably) represent Deutschland, it could have to face off with another car in an early round and face an upset in voting. The 911 Will have a #1 seed, I believe, so first round likely won't be a problem, but if it gets bracketed against some of the other more-popular cars (like the GT-R or Corvette) things could get ugly towards the end.

...That's what has me excited, and assuming that it'll be a lot of fun...

-------

Tom Servo
are we to post the nominees here, or just discuss the running of the contest?

Not yet. I'll probably make two of the country rounds at a time, maybe for a shorter period of time. That should take a little more than a week to get through, hopefully.

On a side note, I'm pretty certain none of the cars of Ford Europe are made in the US... same goes with the US-spec Fords not being made in Europe, are going to have a separate rank for them? Then again, who's going to vote for Furd US *snickers*

I think we separated Ford Europe from Ford USA as well as Ford Australia from the rest as well, it seems logical to do that again since the lineups are very different, and those cars are produced there.

====

nd4holdenspd
So you will make a nomination thread for each "country" where we will post our nominations?

Yes, and you only get one nomination for each country. If someone nominates your pick before you, you can second it, or just add one more car to the mix. We've had nomination lists longer than 20 cars on occasion, so keeping it neat/tidy would be nice.

============

I'm really happy on the positive response so far. I'm really looking forward to seeing some of the discussions that will come out of this. Although I don't know if we'll ever be able to replicated the 911 vs Beetle and Veyron vs Citroen DS. But, using only currently produced cars, things could get heated a bit more quickly.

Last edited:
It would likely depend on who they face off against in the early rounds, but to some extent I think the "final four" will be fairly predictable.

I've created the bracket layout for the series and I've begun to populate it (see post #1), I'll be adding the Chinese finalists tomorrow, the French and Japanese later on. I may adjust some of the final positions, but I'll leave those there to give you guys some idea of how it will all work.

That is the plan. The top two cars from each field will populate the sixteen outside spots, and then we'll have the cars face-off to decide the final eight, four, and so forth, until we get to the final champion.

Once its all filled out, it'd be a lot of fun for everyone to post their predictions and see who can come out with the most points.

To add the winning cars from above...

Representing The People's Republic of China:
FAW Vita C1
Buick Park Avenue

Tomorrow afternoon the French thread will be complete, Japan shortly thereafter.

Here in the US when we have our NCAA Tournaments (what the bracket is based off of) they have four venues in which teams face off in, but since this is a global deal, I just picked some big cities all over the world. Not the biggest or most-popular, but you know, something different.

Here in the US when we have our NCAA Tournaments (what the bracket is based off of) they have four venues in which teams face off in, but since this is a global deal, I just picked some big cities all over the world. Not the biggest or most-popular, but you know, something different.

That's alright, Brisbane is there.:dopey:

Four More Winners:

Representing France
The Renaultsport Clio 197
The Renaultsport Megane R26

Representing Japan
The Nissan GT-R
The Honda S2000

Representing North America
The Chevrolet Corvette
The Cadillac CTS

Representing Germany
The Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG Black Series
The Audi R8

Last edited:
I just want to let you guys know now:

Making this bracket "fair" and "interesting" is much, much harder than you may think!

Keep up the good work YSSMAN, we appreciate you doing this, and may I just say: YES, the CTS and Corvette made it.

Well, the R8 took the last open spot for Germany, dethroning the winner of the 2006 series. I'll start the voting threads for Italy and World here in just a bit...

Back