Best Car 2008 Series : The R8 Takes It!

• Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 324 comments
So like, whats gonna happen now? :D

you live with it.

[/highplainsdrifter]

The R8 was not my ultimate choice as the overall winner but I am still glad it won, I really do like the car and respect that it doesn't have the becoming standard of 500hp+ but yet still performs so well in many aspects.

I think the R8 is a very justified winner. It beat the GT-R and the GT-R is a car that a lot of people (myself included) voted for.

I'm sort of glad that the R8 won (though I was hoping the GT-R would win) because to me the R8 is one of the few cars that come to mind when I think of a "practical and reliable sports car", along with the GT-R, Corvette, M3, 911 and some of the other cars in that "class" (from my own perspective).

As a whole though Europeans tend to drive smaller cars then Americans do.

And besides, the Car of the Year awards is actually the European Car of the Year Awards. It's European judges judging cars available in Europe.

Oh, well that's not what he said:

Said the high and mighty acting Duke.

Famine's got it right - entirely. If you can't tolerate anything, then I respectfully submit that the internet is the wrong sandbox for you to play in.

Well, I guess this seals the deal: Behold: the new face of Controversy:

0712_03z+2008_audi_r8+front_view.jpg

Replacing the Previous...

112_2007_tokyo_motor_show_11s+2008_nissan_GT-R+front_view.jpg

And the Perrennial Favorite...

Chevy_Corvette_Front_red.jpg

Anyone want to take bets on the next car that gets people so wound up that bans are threatened?

So everything else not made in America is not imported? Such as, say, Audis, BMWs, Jaguars, SAABs, Volvos, Mercedes, Porsches, Ferraris, Lamborghinis, etc...

Honda Accords are made in Marysville, Ohio. Are they still imports?

And lets not forget that in Japan, American cars among others are "imports". That changes by what country you live in... and America is not the only country that imports or exports cars.

Why do you define "import" as "made in Japan"?

It does make it awfully hard to have intelligent discussions with you, when you make leaping generalizations with no backup like "All imports are from Japan" and "Japan makes the safest cars". When you make bald, unsupported statements like that and won't follow them with any details, where are we supposed to go with them? Here's an example:

You: Japan makes the safest cars.

Us: Why do you say that? What about Volvo? They've got a long record of innovations in safety technology. Or Renaults - those cars are engineered to protect the occupants from real crashes. Some American cars are good at impact absorption, too. Why do you think Japan makes the safest cars?

You: I don't feel like proving anything this time, having information backed up on an opinion is certain no no to me

Us: ... *shrugs and wanders off to argue with nd4holdenspd*

Do you see my point? What is the value of discussion that is nothing more than "I think this because I think it"? That's why you believe we think you're stupid.

Out of curiosity, how old are you?

I see your point cleary, and I'm 14 years old

Last edited:
Hang on... you claim to own a Hyundai Elantra that you were ademant is a terrific import.

Huh?

My mom bought it for me, although I don't drive in it right now but when I get my learner's permit next year I'll take it out for a spin

I think it's fair to say I'm confused.

I'll try to keep that in mind, thanks for the tip and I'll try to keep myself from getting caught. Wish me luck. :) You saved me a ticket Joey D I owe you one

what brand makes legal xenon lights I really want to put some on my car without having to worry about getting a ticket

I think it's fair to say I'm confused.

My mom drives the car sometimes so I was worried about her getting a ticket for my car but I took those off since I was so scared about it. If you got confused because I said that "I didn't want to get a ticket", I was talking about getting a ticket for my importish ways

Gator, I'd lose the details and leave just your age. 👍

Also, to add to the pictures above, these are two great R8 pictures...

Huge size desktop (click on thumb)...

Race car R8 (click on thumb)...

Those are probably my favorite R8 pictures.
That said, I really think the Gallardo is a better looking car (especially something like the orange K-One from the F430 group test)... :mischievous:

Somebody voted on looks instead of everything else. This is a farce.

:lol:
Tell me who it is, tell me who it is!!!! I'll get him. :tough: :sly:

I definitely counted looks as a factor. I'd say many others did as well. The appearances of both cars in the final round are greatly important in the market place. If nothing else, the appearances of the R8 and 500 help sell the cars before you've learned anything about the whole package.

Personally, if I was going to live with the car on a day to day basis. The R8 compared to the Carrera 4S, a major factor would be the appearance of the R8. It's so distinctive compared to the 911... People see 911s all the time and most can't tell the difference between a Turbo and a Carrera but when an R8 goes by the result is going to be profound. ;) :sly:
Of course, I still think the Gallardo is better looking. :P

Hmm... Well as much as I'd have loved the 500 or GT-R to win, this isn't a bad result. I'm just so relieved that the SL that still hasn't been driven didn't get too far.

By the way I found some good tips on the fuel price going outrageous and the person to tell you is James May
James May's Fuel Price Tips

Don't know why that's relevant to this thread, but super.

The R8 didn't do a lick to advance automotive technology in the slightest. Everyone already has LED lights, AWD, small V8s that don't make enough torque, DSGs, and ripped-off chassis from Lamborghini. Everyone already did all that stuff. The GT-R is a wealth of technology. I don't know what any of it is, but apparently it's got some NASA stuff going on underneath to get such a behemoth to beat the real Lambos around a track.

But if you want to talk importance in the marketplace, the Hyundai Genesis sedan should be the winner. It's one small step for Hyundai and one giant leap for Hyundai's respect, market awareness, customer demographic, and the confidence and cool-headed nature of its competition. Lexus just peed its ninja robe.

The S2000 is a better car all-round than the R8. Why? Because it's damn well near the same as it was when it came out. Ya don't mess with perfection. But I suppose if that phrase were the rule there'd be a lot of unemployed engineers out there...

The R8 is crappy. I bet its wheels weigh over 30 pounds apiece. That's ludicrous. And from the front it looks like that girl you knew in elementary school who had a huuuge forehead.

The S2000 is a better car all-round than the R8. Why? Because it's damn well near the same as it was when it came out. Ya don't mess with perfection.

This. The S2000 is my new favorite car for this reason. Plus I think it's sexy, very simply designed, but sexy.

I also think that the GTR should've really won all around though. For the same reasons Keef stated.

You managed to find the best car in 2008 based on pics, what you've read and heard. Congrats.

Not everyone has the ability to try each and every one and come to a conclusion.

You managed to find the best car in 2008 based on pics, what you've read and heard. Congrats.

To be fair, that's all most of us have to go on. The voting would be a little weak if it was "best 2008 cars we've driven" ;) If that were the case, I'd have been voting for the MX5 and Mazda 2 as far as they got and then not voted any more, as those are the only two 2008 cars I've actually driven, and even then not for a long distance!

To be fair, that's all most of us have to go on. The voting would be a little weak if it was "best 2008 cars we've driven" ;) If that were the case, I'd have been voting for the MX5 and Mazda 2 as far as they got and then not voted any more, as those are the only two 2008 cars I've actually driven, and even then not for a long distance!

And I'd have had to vote for a Mk4 Fiesta, a Ka or a last-gen Ibiza, somewhat depressingly.

My Si gets better gas mileage, is more fun, and has vastly less expensive maintenance costs.

my gf's 500 is broken again....

After they have fixed it this time, if it happens again we are going to reject the car and get something else, and it will most likely be german, or german owned/designed.

But have I driven one? No.
That doesn't matter. All that matters is that we all agree the R8 shouldn't be GTP's car of the year. Look, now all of us fools have made an automotive parody of this year's US Presidential election. Ever since the R8 came out the media has hyped it to supercar status and we haven't heard anything from the other cars. Therefore, we all (except me) voted for the R8. The crappy candidate.

Back