Best Car 2008 Series : The R8 Takes It!

• Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 324 comments
I'd guess 1 in 30 Americans like the Corvette.

Edit: @ eiriksmil, are you calling Exigefan domb? Are you calling VIPERGTSR01 domb? Are you calling VTiRoj domb? Are you calling 888 Tuning (a reference to a Ford racing team) domb? Are you calling Rotary Junkie domb?
Are you calling yourself domb for having a picture of a Lancer as an avatar? Maybe I should just assume you're a Lancer fanboy and that'd explain all your posts I've seen and be on my merry way? No, I'm not a bastard like that.

Edit 2: Or is that a WRX?

Lancer picture because it's the best gt4 pic I've done.
I'm pretty sure they were all fanboys when they signed up. Are they now? That's the point..
Oh, it's written dumb, not domb by the way.

Lancer picture because it's the best gt4 pic I've done.
I'm pretty sure they were all fanboys when they signed up. Are they now? That's the point..
Oh, it's written dumb, not domb by the way.

What makes me a fanboy then in your eyes? You're giving them the benefit of the doubt to get to know them, you certainly didn't give me that chance. And no, they weren't fanboys when they signed up either, Holdenhsvgtsr has owned an Evo for a long time now. VIPERGTSR01 owns/has owned many different vehicles. I can only afford the one car, that's why I picked my favourite. I stood up for Holden at first, then by all of you guys posts it became an attack, and I retaliated, as moderators don't do 🤬 to help me, it's happened too many times.

When I'm right I'm right. Today I asked ~20 Australians where I work (all are car enthusiasts, I work in a car dealer, and I know most of them own a sports car or classic car of their own), and of those 20, one only knew the new Fiat 500, having had no idea there even was an old model, and one thought about it, and said "Aww, that's that little baby car with....*went on to desribe it". So out of 20 Australian car enthusiasts, only one of them knew what the original Fiat 500 is, proving what I said that the 500 is not very well known in Australia.

I work in an airport and I asked 20 people at random from around the world who came into the shop if they had heard of Holden. None of them said they had. I didn't speak to any Australians.

Therefore nobody in the world apart from in Australia knows what Holdens are.

See what we're getting at?

What makes me a fanboy then in your eyes? You're giving them the benefit of the doubt to get to know them, you certainly didn't give me that chance. And no, they weren't fanboys when they signed up either, Holdenhsvgtsr has owned an Evo for a long time now. VIPERGTSR01 owns/has owned many different vehicles. I can only afford the one car, that's why I picked my favourite. I stood up for Holden at first, then by all of you guys posts it became an attack, and I retaliated, as moderators don't do 🤬 to help me, it's happened too many times.

Poor N4HS, everyone always picking on him... :indiff: fun to watch though

Okay guys and gals, I think we should drop it now, both sides of the argument seem to now be participating in a lot of stress. I've been in the position N4HS has been in, being the only person arguing their own opinion with everyone against them, it's not nice. Let's just move on.

Are you sure? I thought they were (my father always describes them as "Bambino")

Per the wikipedia page, yes.

I sit corrected.

nd 4 holden spd
I stood up for Holden at first, then by all of you guys posts it became an attack

People asked you questions and analysed your points. I'm not sure how that constitutes an attack to the point that you want us to do something about it. That's almost a religious argument.

Holden might be big in Australia, but they're nothing to the rest of the world. Your original statement was that Holden have "one of the largest fan bases in the world". This is patently untrue - Holden is only sold as a marque in Australia and there are fewer adults in Australia than Hillary Clinton supporters in the Democrat Party in the USA. And she still lost (in an election to nominate a candidate!).

Yeah, the Pontiac dealer over here didn't even know what a Holden was when we went to get a G8.

I think outside of Michigan (or the Domestic-friendly Mid-West), you aren't going to find many people or many dealers who are even remotely aware of what else the brands have to offer elsewhere. That, I assume, is the product of car-culture around here.

BTW:

I think its safe to call the Honda fight... The Aston one could turn around, but its looking like a win for Britain there.

People that work for GM know for the most part about Holden, Kate's (the girlfriend) mom worked on a project for them doing something. She handles electrical engineering stuff. For the most part though you are right, unless you are a huge petrol head and follow all sorts of cars you probably won't know.

Look at it this way: Many don't know that some of GM's more obvious rebadges (Saab 9-7X) are actually rebadges, so I wouldn't be surprised that they don't know anything about Holdens being sold in America as Pontiacs (or Cadillacs, ten years ago).

Is Michigan into cars enough that they would know about other offerings around the globe? Sure there are a lot of people in the industry around here, and they'd probably know a bit, but people who aren't probably wouldn't know too much about cars.

Although I do wonder what people's reactions will be when they see their Saturn Sky/Astra/Aura with different badges on the front. Or how an American tourist would react to seeing a G8 with Holden badges on the front.

EDIT: @ Toronado: That's why GM and others can get away with badge engineering. Put a different badge, a different body and a different slogan on the same car and for the most part, people will think that they really are different cars. Make a couple tweaks to the driving dynamics (do they do that?) and even more people will be fooled. Although the new Lambdas all seem to have very similar shapes, so I wonder how many more buyers will spot just how much the same they are. Especially if they're on the same lot.

Last edited:
Some people are into cars that much in Michigan and those tend to be those who work for or are the sons/daughters of people who work for the automotive industry just because they are around it all the time.

I know the group I was with in England were surprised when they saw Vauxhalls that looked like Saturns, but they were girls for the most part and didn't know much about cars.

Girls in general tend to be pretty blind when it comes to cars. So that's over half the population who won't know the heritage of every car.

Girls in general tend to be pretty blind when it comes to cars. So that's over half the population who won't know the heritage of every car.

A friend of mine who has a Saab 9-3 convertible was gutted when i told her it was just a Vectra in a miniskirt.

Thanks for being kind enough to sympathise and call off the hounds guys. Back to normal thread discussion:
Assuimg they get through, the Corvette vs Fiat 500 battle could be an interesting vote indeed.

I'm thinking we'll do 'em two at a time... But I can make some new ones soon...

Well yeah, go and make the new poll now. I think the last 2 polls are gonna finish and by the looks of thing, its the S2000 and the DB9 which are going through to the quarter final. :irked:

To my suprise I actually saw a HSV W427 (LS7 HSV) on the road today, in red.

Nope, was just sitting at the lights, I wasn't around long enough so see it drive off.

Ah well. Pretty rare for me but I seen my favourite German car yesterday, the C63 AMG in black.:drool: Doing a pick-up down in Brisbane.

Edit: Completely irrevalent and off-topic. More OT-ness, should see some wild cars at Powercruise tomorrow.:dopey:

Edit 2: CTS vs DB9 in round 2, should be really interesting..........not, I'm sure the DB9 will advance to the semis.

Last edited:
Vauxhall in the UK is often viewed as being dull and boring, therfore when the Monaro originally came out people believed it should have been bought over with Holden not Vauxhall. As people immediately thought it was another boring Vauxhall made by Vauxhall not another manufacture

Latest series of Top Gear, didnt the lads come to the conclusion that Vauxhall was the only manufacturer that didnt make a boring car in the UK?

To my suprise I actually saw a HSV W427 (LS7 HSV) on the road today, in red.

So did I, I just had a look in the garage :sly:

No, I tell a lie,

But a Clubsport R8 (VXR8 to those with a few less teeth) with a C5R engine does come pretty close.

PS, Holden all the way, if that makes me a Holden fan boy, smight me oh mighty smighters!

Last edited:
Latest series of Top Gear, didnt the lads come to the conclusion that Vauxhall was the only manufacturer that didnt make a boring car in the UK?

So did I, I just had a look in the garage :sly:

No, I tell a lie,

But a Clubsport R8 (VXR8 to those with a few less teeth) with a C5R engine does come pretty close.

PS, Holden all the way, if that makes me a Holden fan boy, smight me oh mighty smighters!

Man, I like you.:sly: Their main reason for not liking Holdens is cheap feeling interiors, which to me is just a mental reason to not like a car.

Man, I like you.:sly: Their main reason for not liking Holdens is cheap feeling interiors, which to me is just a mental reason to not like a car.

VE Commodore/G8 Interior isnt all that flash, but its built to a price, hense relitively cheap.

You gotta remember that everyone sees things differently, people have different prioritys and different agendas in there lives which effect their personal decisions in their lives. I'm studying motorsports engineering at uni and am due to compete (funds pending) in the WA State Formula Ford championship next year so its fair to say i value vehicle performance a hell of a lot more then i do comfort/luxuries. It'd be safe to say that many millions worldwide wont agree and would rather a lovely ride. Its all relitive.

Didn't make an ugly car, not a boring one. And I'd disagree with them on both counts, though I do like quite a few of the Vauxhall range.

Mmm hmm, yet I feel as though I'm criticised for not caring about interior quality (quality, not design, which would be important), as though I'm inherently wrong for my desires in a car.

I don't care about interior quality either. I don't care what plastic it's made of as long as it's been screwed together well.

Didn't make an ugly car, not a boring one. And I'd disagree with them on both counts, though I do like quite a few of the Vauxhall range.

Yeah, i couldnt remember exactly what they said but i knew they made reference to it, and once again its all a matter of personal opinion. As I'm aware they sell the Corsa (little thing i think?), Astra, Vectra and the VXR8. I suppose the vectra you could label as a boring car?

Mmm hmm, yet I feel as though I'm criticised for not caring about interior quality (quality, not design, which would be important), as though I'm inherently wrong for my desires in a car.

Unfortunately the world is full of people who believe that there is only one way to think about things, which of course is theirs. For what its worth, i 100% agree with you.

Back