Best Car 2008 Series : The R8 Takes It!

• Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 324 comments
That'll teach me to not casually refer to FWD as wrong wheel drive. I don't have anything against FWD cars -- if the car is good, the car is good. I'm just of the mindset that they'd be even better with RWD or AWD. The case of the 500 is disappointing, too, because it's a predictable FF remake of a classic RR car, like the Beetle.

And homeforsummer, you missed the part where I said basically the same thing Philly said. :) You also seem to have missed where I explained that there was no problem if you had other reasons for choosing the 500. I assumed nothing, and there was no insult intended. :guilty:

And homeforsummer, you missed the part where I said basically the same thing Philly said. :) You also seem to have missed where I explained that there was no problem if you had other reasons for choosing the 500. I assumed nothing, and there was no insult intended. :guilty:

No worries, I think we both could have chosen better words for what we posted! My reply was a little snappy. Sometimes a little difficult to understand what someone means by a comment on t'internet.

Serve punch and pie, what else? You guys are all welcome to drop by...

I think a GT-R vs. R8/S2000 battle could be interesting... As could a 500/DB9 battle.

Pie? That worth a half hour drive...

I think this'll be a win for the R8 (R8/S2000)... the S2000 is, granted, a nice sportscar for the money, but c'mon... it's a soon-to-be-phased-out old model on its last legs which isn't a dominant force in its price class and doesn't bring anything fundamentally new to the table.

I'm looking forward to the R8 vs GT-R battle... it'll be epic. Flames will erupt. People will be banned. Doomsday, server crash, all that brouhaha. :lol:

This is where any of the cars I like will meet their end, not many people pine for a psycho V8 muscle car anymore, and certainly not many GM fans on here.

I think this'll be a win for the R8 (R8/S2000)... the S2000 is, granted, a nice sportscar for the money, but c'mon... it's a soon-to-be-phased-out old model on its last legs which isn't a dominant force in its price class and doesn't bring anything fundamentally new to the table.

I'm looking forward to the R8 vs GT-R battle... it'll be epic. Flames will erupt. People will be banned. Doomsday, server crash, all that brouhaha. :lol:

QFT. :sly:

The Audi R8: Your GTP "Best Car" for 2008!

800px-Audi_R8-09.jpg

Its been an interesting run, to say the least. But, it came down to some narrow victories in some instances, in others, they were absolute blowouts. What it all comes down to is that we debated, we voted, and in the end, we have a winner. Congratulations to Audi for building a car the GTP-nation can love!

====

Parting thoughts for this year?

I would have liked to have seen more of the "small" guys make it further, particularly the French models, and it would have been absolutely EPIC to have the FIAT topple the Audi. But, votes are votes, and not everyone thinks alike. Nevertheless, it has been interesting, and while I'd love to replicate it more often, this is more or less a "once in a while" type thing.

Perhaps I can think of another game to keep people engaged...

you could do a similiar tournament but concentrating on a specific car class. Like hot hatches for example?

Well, most of GTPlanet is officialy wrong;

http://www.caroftheyear.org/pages/Coty08.htm

But never mind, eh? ;)
I've even kept the little sticker in my rear window to show it off a bit :lol:

Look at the previous winners: if it's not a hatch, it's a small car. Or a minivan.

http://www.caroftheyear.org/pages/Previous.htm#1990

That page is heavily biased towards small cars or hatches.

But then again, with a few notable exceptions, most of GTP is heavily biased towards super expensive sports cars they've never driven. So maybe you're right after all.

M

I'm not suprised that the R8 won the Car of The Year award as I found out that it has been winning so many of those types of awards from magazines and car shows from last last year and that tells me that the R8 will be as popular as those Ferraris and Lamborghinis, and that's bad since I know I'm going to see an R8 get customized on TV sooner or later by showoffs

you could do a similiar tournament but concentrating on a specific car class. Like hot hatches for example?

A potentially good idea, but after the past month or so's voting I don't think I have the energy for any more "discussion" :lol:

As for the result, I'm apathetic about the R8 winning - I like it but I'm not really bothered either way! It's worthy of a win, but it's not a car I have any particular interest in. It's suitably down-to-earth compared to some of the things that could have got this far (AMG Black, Koenigsegg etc) but my personal tastes are even more down-to-earth, small cars, basic sports cars like the Elise, and so on.

I'm not suprised that the R8 won the Car of The Year award as I found out that it has been winning so many of those types of awards from magazines and car shows from last last year and that tells me that the R8 will be as popular as those Ferraris and Lamborghinis, and that's bad since I know I'm going to see an R8 get customized on TV sooner or later by showoffs

So, what!? What those people do on TV don't matter. Did you skip over my post in the other thread? Ignore those guys who only modify to show off. Talk to a real owner. They're the ones who actually care about what kind of modifications they do.

You're pushing this attitude that people only buy expensive cars to be flashy, and yet, at the same time support the Import Tuner world which is extremely hypocritical considering the fact a gigantic chunk of that culture are modding their cars just for show.

Why condemn the exotic owners for trying make their cars look nice when your own preference does it even worse, and goes way too far on several occasions?

Reventón;3168276
So, what!? What those people do on TV don't matter. Did you skip over my post in the other thread? Ignore those guys who only modify to show off. Talk to a real owner. They're the ones who actually care about what kind of modifications they do.

You're pushing this attitude that people only buy expensive cars to be flashy, and yet, at the same time support the Import Tuner world which is extremely hypocritical considering the fact a gigantic chunk of that culture are modding their cars just for show.

Why condemn the exotic owners for trying make their cars look nice when your own preference does it even worse, and goes way too far on several occasions?

I didn't skip your post, and I know that there are people out there that owns the for the true purpose. It's just how I visualize somebody having an exotic, and they may be imports but they are not pure imports

So, in other words, because of what you see on TV, you just go ahead and stereotype all other exotic owners as the same way. Terrific. I think all Import guys are just the same as those fake Fast & Furious races. :rolleyes:

Reventón;3168384
So, in other words, because of what you see on TV, you just go ahead and stereotype all other exotic owners as the same way. Terrific. I think all Import guys are just the same as those fake Fast & Furious races. :rolleyes:

I know that's wrong of me to stereotype exotic owners but hey, there's right and wrong in all of us

And? That still doesn't make it right.

That's along the same lines of saying, "I think all black people eat fried chicken b/c that's how I see them portrayed on TV. But, it's ok to think that because not everyone's perfect."

What a ridiculous & completely stupid excuse to say such a thing. That fits in with those idiotic excuses people come up with in court. "I know I shot the man 6 times, but we're not all perfect". Just utter nonsense. 👎

Reventón;3168392
And? That still doesn't make it right.

That's along the same lines of saying, "I think all black people eat fried chicken b/c that's how I see them portrayed on TV. But, it's ok to think that because not everyone's perfect."

What a ridiculous & completely stupid excuse to say such a thing. That fits in with those idiotic excuses people come up with in court. "I know I shot the man 6 times, but we're not all perfect". Just utter nonsense. 👎

Okay I'll stop stereotyping since you're going to make me feel ashamed about it. I won't believe everything I see on TV. I just never heard anyone say anything about what makes them really special, you guys taught me what soul is all about and what makes an old car special, but now I need to know what makes an exotic special, just like how my grandpa would tell his stories about his old mustang and how he never left it. I need to change my ways to be a better person anyways instead of being judgemental :indiff:

Last edited:
...but they are not pure imports

Can I ask what you mean by that? Because I'm a little confused... If you're defining "import" solely as something that comes from Japan, you're mistaken. Under the premise of your arguement, you could certainly say that anyone who owns a Civic Si or a Toyota Celica GT is in the same poseur category. I love my American cars more than anything, and second only to that is my love for Volkswagen, but I own and operate a Celica GT. I like the car, but its bone-stock, and I have no plans to change it. Am I a poseur for buying a car that would otherwise be something "showy" as well?

You're doing what is tantamount to sticking a quantum physics question in front of a viking beserker.

Just ignore him until he learns to think before he types.

I just wish i could be bothered for find the ignore function

Back