Best Family Car, VOTE! (Mazda3: Best Compact)

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 56 comments
  • 2,954 views

VOTE for Best Family Car!


  • Total voters
    40
  • Poll closed .

YSSMAN

Super-Cool Since 2013
Premium
Messages
21,286
United States
GR-MI-USA
Messages
YSSMAN
Messages
YSSMAN
This thread got away from me, sorry about my lack of attention. I've been busy the past few days...

Anyway, coming from behind, the Mazda3 wins the title of 'Best Compact Car,' pushing over the Golf/Rabbit and Civic without much a problem. What happened to all the fanboys (ha ha)?

Anyway, back to business, the nominations have been gathered for 'Best Family Car,' however, there is one explanation that needed to be made. The Volvo S60 made it on the list because it meets pricing requirements in Europe with the comparable models to the US market. However, the C230 did not, as it is out of reach both in the US and the UK. Also, please note that I've rolld the Opel/Vauxhall Vectra together with the Saturn Aura under the banner of General Motors, simply because they are the same car. And yes, I do realize it is the same with the Saab, however, they do not share much outside of the basic structure.

So, the nominees:

General Motors Vectra/Aura
Ford Mondeo
Honda Accord (US and EU)
Nissan Maxima
Subaru Legacy
Ford Fusion (US Model)
Saab 9-3
Alfa Romeo 159
Volvo S60

Vote, debate, do as you please. You've got a few days here. And obviously you may want to think for the next category, 'Best Full-Size Car.' No, that does not necessarily include luxury models, as we will have separate categories for the BMW and Lexus types...

VOTE away!
 
What's the general size of Full-size car? Most "Family Cars" in the poll count as Full-size in Israel...
 
The only one I would consider "Full Sized" is the Maxima, its actually a really big car.

I'll have to go with the Fusion. Looks good, I know how it rides (My dad has a Mazda 6) and the interior isn't half bad. :)

Full Sized is, well larger than the normal family car.

This is mid-sized :

fusiona_lg.jpg



This is full sized:

08FiveHundred_12.jpg
 
And may I be the first to comment that, Gillette front end or not, the new 500 looks 7000 times better than the old one.
 
And may I be the first to comment that, Gillette front end or not, the new Taurus looks 7000 times better than the old one.


Ahem. I believe you had a small spelling error there.
 
Ahem. I believe you had a small spelling error there.
Calling the 500 "Taurus" is the same as when Cadillac called the DeVille "DTS," and as such I refuse to do it on the grounds that the "Taurus" and 500 are the exact same car. And in any case, calling that "Taurus" is an insult to the Taurus. Just like the DeVille is an insult to automobiles.
 
Whats so insulting about a 265 hp V6? Helluva engine.
 
Yeah I'm slightly confused by this one aswell being a wee little European and all. I mean, a 7 series and A8 say full size to me but then there's going to be a luxury poll aswell :confused:

On the poll, my heart says 159, but my head says Mondeo. I just don't know!
 
I voted for the Maxima despite preferring the Fusion or Mondeo on price. In the end more power tickled my fancy--and I'm a larger Nissan fan than a Ford fan.

Exige, vote for the new Mondeo for me then. 👍
 
Exige, vote for the new Mondeo for me then. 👍

But dude....
2005_alfa_romeo_159_03_m.jpg


Just look at it!
[EDIT] Someone with personal experience please convince me that the Alfa is absolute rubbish, please.
 
The Trans Am had more luxury than the 500 does.
I don't even know what a damn 500 is.

Perhaps I'll just abstain in this round.

[EDIT] Nominate Volvo S80, just incase anyone forgets.
 
I went Aura. I can't drive a Mondeo, which sucks. Ditto 159. Saab, Volvo, and Subaru are still (somewhat pricey) performance Niche cars. The Fusion lags a bit behind the field alltogether, The Maxima has a wonderful engine, and the Accord a good suspension. The Aura is very, very important to G.M., Seems to be a success thus far, and does deliver.

I can't speak for Europe, but, as an American, I'll have to go to Saturn.

(waits for the LoLs.)

Now, I probably know what YSS wants to Nominate, and I want to so badly, too, for the fullsizers. ZETA. Yes, I like the LX cars, but they're getting old, now, and I'm eagerly anticipating the LYs. but they're not out yet. so, I'm stuck with G.M.
 
I almost went with the Saturn, too. The new ones are pretty good. Chose the 9-3 instead.

So where do the 3, 5, 7, A4, A6, A8 fit into all this? I would consider the 5 and A6 to be full-sized. If that is the next biggest category, wouldn't the C, A4 and 3 be in this pole? Just a late idea....
 
I'll explain by what I mean for full-sizers:

To me, a "full-size" car would be something along the lines of the Chevrolet Impala on up, so cars like the Toyota Avalon, Chrysler 300, Volvo S80, etc. Basically, cars that are around the size of the 5-series (or larger), but obviously not luxury cars like the 5-series.

So, we would want a price cap of around $50K, but try to keep away from the well-established luxury marques like BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Cadillac and the like. Those are reserved for the 'premium' segments, and lets be honest, you really can't compare a $35K Hyundai Azera to a $80K BMW 7-series.

...Remember, we're nominating in the next thread...

If this is outright odd, or even stupid, this would be the time to voice the concerns...
 
Pontiac G8 FTW! :lol: I don't see what wrong with voting for the Aura, a good car, but fairly expensive.
 
[EDIT] Someone with personal experience please convince me that the Alfa is absolute rubbish, please.

Well it is a much better car than the 156, it does look lovely and is certainly a car you would buy with you heart and stare at all day.

However its not as good to drive as it is to look at and as we are discussing it as a family car, they will not be best pleased with you after the electronics go mad on it for the umpteenth time. Then you will make the mistake of taking it to the dealership to get the problem fixed, and now the nice people who took your money when selling it will have melted away. Replacing them will be a bunch of surly half-wit who will steal more money off you, lie to you, question your manhood, sleep with your wife and tell you the car is fixed only for it to go wrong again within 30 seconds of leaving the dealership (something which of course will not now be covered bythe warranty as its the second Thursday after Whitsun).

And even after you are left divorced, broke, unemployable and on the verge of suicide you will still look at the damn thing and love the way it looks.

Go for the Mondeo, it may look boring, but its a better car in all areas and at least you will remain moderatly happy, married and sane.


(well you did ask)

Scaff
 
That's exactly what I needed Scaff, much appreciated.
 
All part of the service

👍

Scaff
 
I think the Mondeo is over rated, so I picked the Honda Accord, yes, I'm another Honda fan. My friend has a 1995 (I think.) Honda Accord V6 (full of riceyness :indiff:) And it is a blast to drive. Even the sedan can be fun to drive. The base models are more family friendly I think, since better mileage is available.
 
How can you say that it's over rated having probably had no experience (even seeing it) whatsoever?

I've sat in several generations and models (Mates family have had mondeoslast 10 years, except for a slight focus saloon blip, uncle has an ST TDCi) and they are pretty good all rounders.
 
I think the Mondeo is over rated, so I picked the Honda Accord, yes, I'm another Honda fan. My friend has a 1995 (I think.) Honda Accord V6 (full of riceyness :indiff:) And it is a blast to drive. Even the sedan can be fun to drive. The base models are more family friendly I think, since better mileage is available.

Exactly how is the Mondeo over-rated?

Anyway this is what the average European Accord driver looks like...

anim-i-dont-believe-it-VictorMeldrew.jpg


...and the Mondeo walks all over the Accord in so many ways (OK the Accord gets slightly nicer alloys, but that's as far as I'm going to go). The Euro Accord is an exercise in competent blandness, you officially have to paint your whole family grey before you can drive it.


Scaff
 
How can you say that it's over rated having probably had no experience (even seeing it) whatsoever?
In his defense, we did have the Contour. But I liked the Contour.
 
Anyway this is what the average European Accord driver looks like...

anim-i-dont-believe-it-VictorMeldrew.jpg

:lol: I just have something against the Mondeo, I don't know what it is though.

When I drive an accord, you can see my teeth like this.

:D:D:D:D:D
 
The Euro Accord is an exercise in competent blandness, you officially have to paint your whole family grey before you can drive it.

06.Acura.TSX.f3-4-E.jpg


Which is funny, because the Euro Accord here is considered to be one of the best "sporty" sedans you can buy. I think it was on C/D's 10 Best list for a few years running until it was knocked-off by the new G35. Although, our version may be coming with a few more "goodies" than yours...

Otherwise, we have this:

06.honda.accord.500.jpg


And there is absolutely no way I'd take it over this:

getImage.asp
 
Our TSX ( As stated above, your Accord) is a really great complement to the TL ( Our Accord ). It makes the Acura brand much more complete.
 
I'm lame, I still like the Maxima.
 
You're not lame, you the only genius in here besides me...and maybe Exige for his love of the breathtakingly beautiful Alfa.
 
If they wouldn't have ruined the Maxima by allowing the Altima to step on its toes and taking away the stick, I probably would have went with it...

...And if I would have been able to see an Alfa in person, I probably would have considered it...
 
:lol: I just have something against the Mondeo, I don't know what it is though.

When I drive an accord, you can see my teeth like this.

:D:D:D:D:D
In which case the top of your head would almost certainly fall off from an ear to ear grin in a Mondeo. Many are automatically put off by the blue badge on the front, not something I would hold against the car.



Which is funny, because the Euro Accord here is considered to be one of the best "sporty" sedans you can buy. I think it was on C/D's 10 Best list for a few years running until it was knocked-off by the new G35. Although, our version may be coming with a few more "goodies" than yours...

Otherwise, we have this:


And there is absolutely no way I'd take it over this:

The last truly descent Accord we got in Europe was the Type-R, since they dropped that the range has simply been one of competence, but without standing out in any single way. Cars like the Alfa stand out in terms of the sheer dribble factor, the Mondeo handles like nothing else in this class, the Vectra is outstanding by virtue of being rubbish (but keep trying Vauxhall at least its better than the last one - just still far worse than all its competitors), etc.

The Accord doesn't do anything wrong, but it doesn't manage to excel in any particular area either, as such (in Europe) it tends to appeal to those of a certain age group and shade of grey. Sorry but while the Accord does nothing wrong I could never recommend one on the grounds that its just far to bloody dull.


Regards

Scaff
 
Back