best high capacity mp3 player with best sound?

• Thread starter zachmo417
  • 6 comments
zachmo417
i'm reaching out here after doing a little research on my own, maybe someone here will at least be able to give me a better opinion on what i should get. i have been looking to replace my old zune 30gb that was stolen. i bought it after launch, and a few drinks for $250 in 2007. i'm looking for a high capacity either zune 120 or the seventh generation ipod classic 160. However Im not sold on the ipod screen, itunes, or the sound quality. Can anyone compare the sound of zune vs ipod? or possibly recommend another mp3 player with good sound/hdd. i plan on buying a decent pair of headphones for it because i know that has a lot to do with the quality. (obviously the stock ipod buds are not a good option) it seems like microsoft has all but dropped support for the zune, as has apple for the seventh gen classic. are they the only two available for 100+gb or am i missing somethig?

any suggestions will be helpful

I will vote for the 32GB iPod touch. It's got 2 more gigs than your zune, so it should be enough. 64 is available but 32 is probably the best choice for the money.

Screen is obviously superior to everything else ("retina" display - 960x640, 326ppi).

And there are apps and games and such and such.

But more importantly though, sound quality you will not notice by any means unless you can tell the difference between a $2000 sound system and a $2200 sound system.

For example, I have the aforementioned iPod touch and I can only tell the difference between it and my friend's old zune if i'm playing the same song at the same time through identical pairs of (very) good headphones, and even then it is very very hard to notice, and i am an essentially certified audiophile. No one else could notice.

Verdict: For general everyday use, iPod touch is better than iPod classic unless you have a 100GB+ music collection.
Oh, and the zune HD is fantastic, but the 4th gen iPod touch's ungrades are so big that it trumps it.

There is the brand Archos as I have read online. You can have a 250GB Archos 5 but it suffers from bad battery life. It lasts 12.5 hours playing music and 4 hours and 20 minutes playing videos. I have never used any of them and I have only seen one of them in real life so I don't know how good it is.

I would shy clear of the Zune 120, I had one and had nothing but problems with it until it finally just died all together.

If you can find a 160GB ipod on ebay(or wherever) I would say get it.

nice thanks everybody. i'm almost positive that i will go for the 160 classic, but now i've thought of a plan b. maybe pick up the god of war goast of sparta bundle and a bigger memory stick and go with that. i change my mind too much.:ill: and thanks for the advise on the zune 120 that was another option, sad to hear it's not as reliable as my zune 30 was a tank. the ipod touch to me is not enough memory for the money, and i already have a smartphone. plus i prefer buttons for navigating around music and videos as opposed to a touch screen.

Back