Best to worst quality for ps3 sound?

oohhh8yeah
So for ps3 sound, there is the typical 5.1/7.1 home theater setup, and there is also the headphone setup...maybe ways to do it.

I am not sure which method would provide best sound quality?

1) Headset hooked up to ps3, usually hooks up by ps3 usb port (Astro A50 etc.)

2) Headphones connected to receiver (does this mean it is 5.1 processing)?

2) Headphones through RCA ps3 (probably worst of the 3)

And last but no least....the microphone input...they can be hooked up via 3d usb sound card adapters or 5 bucks....anyone else know a way that is better quality? Or am I maxed out here?

How about skipping the 3D sound adapter and getting a microphone that is is usb connected and not traditional 3.5mm male? Would that increase quality because it is lessening hardware thus loss conversions?
thx!

Last edited:
No, Astros will run through analogue as well, but only in stereo, or virtual surround generated with stereo information. Stereo sound via optical vs rca cables will not differ much, with optical possibly offering slightly higher clarity and rca offering no latency. Virtual surround via optical vs rca cables will differ greatly, in optical's favour.

I'd stick with a 3.5mm jack for the mic.

Some amps have surround processing for headphones (Yamaha's Cinema Silent for example) but I don't know how good they tend to be.

So for ps3 sound, there is the typical 5.1/7.1 home theater setup, and there is also the headphone setup...maybe ways to do it.

I am not sure which method would provide best sound quality?

1) Headset hooked up to ps3, usually hooks up by ps3 usb port (Astro A50 etc)

2) Headphones connected to receiver (does this mean it is 5.1 processing)?

2) Headphones through RCA ps3 (probably worst of the 3)

And last but no least....the microphone input...they can be hooked up via 3d usb sound card adapters or 5 bucks....anyone else know a way that is better quality? Or am I maxed out here?

thx!
No, Astros will run through analogue as well, but only in stereo, or virtual surround generated with stereo information. Stereo sound via optical vs rca cables will not differ much, with optical possibly offering slightly higher clarity and rca offering no latency. Virtual surround via optical vs rca cables will differ greatly, in optical's favour.

I'd stick with a 3.5mm jack for the mic.

Some amps have surround processing for headphones (Yamaha's Cinema Silent for example) but I don't know how good they tend to be.
So how would you compare ps3 optical port Astro etc against a typical entry level receiver's phones jack for headphone sound quality? Or are you talking about optical port as in including the receiver as well, because the receiver is hooked up to the ps3's optical port?

I have an onkyo TX SR304 entry level, not sure if I would be getting better sound plugging headphones into its 1/4 inch phones jack, or hooking up via rca, or getting something that plugs into the ps3's optical port like an Astro.

Which of the methods theoretically provide the best? Or are they so close together it is negligible? I would assume receiver and optical is best, depending on what receiver and what optical device......

Last edited:
For stereo sound, your receiver will do just fine. Plug headphones in to your receiver and you're done.

If you want to use a mic and/or virtual surround you might need to look into an Astro mixamp, Turtle Beach DSS, or a headset with built in surround processing. I recommend going with something that connects via optical though.

If you have/get a headset with two 3.5mm jacks (mic in/audio out) you'll pretty much have your bases covered. You could use them with your receiver now, while having the option to add a mixamp type solution later.

For stereo sound, your receiver will do just fine. Plug headphones in to your receiver and you're done.

If you want to use a mic and/or virtual surround you might need to look into an Astro mixamp, Turtle Beach DSS, or a headset with built in surround processing. I recommend going with something that connects via optical though.

If you have/get a headset with two 3.5mm jacks (mic in/audio out) you'll pretty much have your bases covered. You could use them with your receiver now, while having the option to add a mixamp type solution later.
I see...so you're saying I can't get anything beyond stereo even though I have a receiver?

Back