Boosting a wireless signal.

murphykieran
I've got a wireless network here, but one of the computers using it is obviously in a bad location and is getting a very weak signal. It keeps cutting out and reconnecting and makes net browsing on it very slow and annoying.

It's a Dell PC and came with a wireless USB connector (maybe it's a really crap Dell wireless thingamajig, I don't know). My local PC shop sells signal boosters that connect to wireless routers, but they require ones that you can unscrew the antennae of and plug in the signal booster in it's place. My Belkin wireless adapter doesn't allow that.

So, what can I do? It's a PC under warranty so I don't want to open it up to have to install a PCI wireless adapter or anything. It's not actually my PC and I don't want to ruin someone else's warranty by opening it up and tinkering around inside. It also needs to stay where it is - I don't want to move it to a location with a better signal.

Is there a cheap and easy solution that'll work with minimum fuss?

KM.

Buy a usb extension cable so that the wireless adapter can be slightly closer.

or

Open all doors and windows!!!

or

Buy another wireless router and set it up as a bridge.

Yup, but you got it easy. Try finding a good wireless device for a G3 Mac without spending all you got!

DQuaN
Buy a usb extension cable so that the wireless adapter can be slightly closer.
Not really practical. I don't want to have to drag cables across the floor just to get the adapter a bit closer. It's still going to be in the same room, but just closer to the big-ass wall that might be causing the problem.

Open all doors and windows!!!
Where I used to work, sometimes the only way to get laptops to pickup the signal from the wireless base station which was outside the office in the corridor, was to open the door... Go figure.

Buy another wireless router and set it up as a bridge.
I don't think that'd work. There's nowhere in between the two points that I could plugin another router. The distance from the wireless router to the other PC is only about 20ft, but there's a thick supporting wall that's wide enough to accomodate a fireplace and chimney between them and I wonder if it's that what's blocking or weakening the signal?

Are there signal boosters or something that can just go into an Ethernet port and make life easier?

KM.

I'm on a wireless network, it's just between two PCs though. I have a router that seems to work pretty well, a Netgear one. My signal always seems to be low, but it never disconnects on it's own.

Hold a sec...

There's a phone with a cordless handset in that room. A quick Google search reveals it operates at 2.4Ghz. I wonder if that's the problem? I can't find any option in my router setup to change the frequency from 2.4Ghz though...

Bah humbug!

KM.

Try getting rid of the cordless phone first to see if it makes any difference, I was going to recommend a proper ghetto way of increasing the signal.... get some metal thin wire and coil it around the antenna and then lead that wire higher up in the room and mount it somewhere on the wall and spread it out... if it works on the same kind of principles as radio and tv then that sould help... failing that just find a way of lifting it up higher in the room..

Robin

P.s. you could also trying moving the source sender around.... that may help...

Your phone is most likely the cause of your problem. If it is, I suggest you get a 5ghz phone, or just move that phone somewhere else. 👍

I had a similar problem when our wireless network was setup in our home. The most practical solution is to buy an external antenna that boosts your wireless router's gain so that it outputs more power. Also, you should consider buying a wireless repeater as that will boost the range of your wireless router considerably. The wireless repeater does not require a physical connection to the network and only needs to see a signal from a wireless router to repeat it.

I hope that helps!

Disconnecting and powering off the cordless phone made no difference. I've already tried experimenting with moving both the wireless router and receiver but it makes no difference.

KM.

Remember to keep the aerials at right angles to the direction of eachother as the strongest signal transmits in a horizontal plain from them.

plain3ff.jpg

If your router allows, swap out the antenna for something bigger. I know linksys makes a pretty decent one. That'll give you the signal boost you need.

If you have a Linksys WRT54G and the right version, you can use the HyperWRT firmware to provide the full 100% power to the antenna. Linksys and most other companies limit the juice going to the transmiter to 50% of what the units are rated for.

Back