Can I restore my backup on a new PS3?

United States
Brookfield, CT
GTP_Diabolical/Diabolical_J
So my question is straightforward, but here's my situation. The blu-ray drive and/or lens crapped out on my 80GB fat PS3 the other day. I've been thinking about my different options. I don't want to send it to Sony because I've heard they take way too long to turn it around and I don't want to be without my PS3 for that long. I've considered taking it to a repair shop, most seem to be in the $100-150 range to replace the blu-ray drive or lens. Given the fact that the old fat PS3's have more reliability issues, I'm concerned that if I have it fixed, I'll just be waiting for it to break on me again. So that has me leaning towards the purchase of a new, more reliable slim PS3. My biggest concern is that I would lose months of progress that I have made in GT5. I tried to do a search, but I can't find a definitive answer. If I have a backup of my game save data on a USB drive, can I restore that backup on a new PS3 assuming I'm logged onto the same PSN account?

Had the discussion earlier today with a friend that thought that the safe was HW linked, this is what I found:

ZOGTHEMIGHTY :
Re: GT5 save data transfer between PS3 consoles
on*06-02-2011*02:13 AM
my old 60GB died last week and when Sony sent my replacement, I logged into my old PSN account and then put GT5 in, let it add all the files and stuff then I copied my backed up save from my USB stick and it worked fine

Diabolical and I talked yesterday about this, is there an issue with getting the new PS3 to sign on with your old PSN? How does that work. I didn't think getting the data back on the PS3 would be a problem, just having it know the account.

TheCracker
Surely you can just swap out the HDD's?

No, the HDDs in PS3 consoles are locked to that particular console, meaning that while you can take them out of one, you will have to format it when you put it in the new one, erasing everything on it. I know this from bitter experience with my old 60GB launch PS3 and the YLOD.

Since the hard drive on the new PS3 would likely be 160GB compared to the 80GB hard drive in my old PS3, I definitely would not be looking to swap the drives. Are there any issues to watch at for, like making sure I have the same PS3 system update and GT5 update installed before I try to restore the file?

Since the hard drive on the new PS3 would likely be 160GB compared to the 80GB hard drive in my old PS3, I definitely would not be looking to swap the drives. Are there any issues to watch at for, like making sure I have the same PS3 system update and GT5 update installed before I try to restore the file?

Update the PS3's firmware, add your PSN account, then install the game, then update the game and then copy your save back, there should be no problems if you do it in that order.:)

Personally I can't see how the order would really effect things, however I would follow the above advice just to be on the safe side.

If I were you i'd save anything you want on the USB, sell the fat PS3, buy a new slim one, upload everything onto the new slim PS3. I have no clue if it would really be that easy but it's worth a try and my good friend's PS3 went out on him not to long ago and he was suggested not to swap out the HDD into the new one or it wasn't compatible or something along those lines.

If you get a new PS3 you can do a data transfer using an Ethernet cable to connect the two PS3's. This transfers the data from the HDD of the old PS3 to the new PS3.

But this is a lot more hassle that just making a back up save on usb & copying it, amusing you can log on to your PSN on your new PS3

Back