...Car bought pictures on post 24

• Thread starter raz_10
  • 30 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
El Salvador
Caliphornia
GTP_raz_10
I currently own a Corolla '93 and need to upgrade. my car could be in its last legs with 260k miles on the engine.

I'm looking into purchasing a new car in the next month or so...I have 3 cars(wagons) in mind that I would like to choose from, other than looks I am not familiarized with any of them. The larger space is needed to haul the dogs and other stuff.
In no particular order of preference -
Audi Allroad
Subaru Outback
Audi Avant 6
I am interested in the 2006 model of each or older as I only want to spend $10k, I could go as much as $15k but would like to stay in the $10k range.
I have checked the local venues and news papers and I have found a few with 70K -90k miles.
So services, wear and tear of parts will need to be accounted for.

The wife is also concern with the high price of maintenance of German cars, should this be an issue?
I know a couple of people who own each, and they rave about their cars but of course they have the newer models of these. they have nothing bad to say about their rides! which means I am in a good track for what I want...or am I?
I would like to hear from any of you that own any of these or just in general if you have any info on them..

regards

_raz

Last edited:
I'd skip the audis right off the bat. I had no problem owning warrantied audis, but used ones from that time and that mileage, no. I only made that mistake once, well, twice, ok 4 times.

If you're looking for a wagon, I highly recommend a Volvo V70. Fast, turbo, amazing seats

V70R even better
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detai...es&alMkId=20044&rpp=50&feedSegId=28705&aff=cj

Tremendous vehicle is M6 MPS!!!

As for our pal here and helping him to decide something, I dislike AUDIs due to facts I know about motor's reliability. The same goes about BMW, although I prefer them as driver's cars. I could consider Mazda 6 sports-wagon as a nice choice. And with the new diesel engines it has power, torque and low consumption as well.

As for our pal here and helping him to decide something, I dislike AUDIs due to facts I know about motor's reliability. The same goes about BMW, although I prefer them as driver's cars. I could consider Mazda 6 sports-wagon as a nice choice. And with the new diesel engines it has power, torque and low consumption as well.

Also, I'm sure it would be way cheaper to fix than an Audi.

I'd go for the Subaru, I guess. They are on Top of the Consumer-Satisfactory-Poll here in GERMANY year after year after year after year after year, that says something, does it ?

it'd be easier if you'd state your location, so that people from that area can help point you. dollars could mean US dollars, Canadian dollars, Australian dollars, New Zeland dollars, or any money that uses the $ sign for their money. 260K could mean either miles or kilometers (and if that engine's on its last legs, it's most likely miles)

If it's Australian, you can't go past a VE Commodore wagon, stylish, functional and cheap as chips to maintain. I'm guessing he's not Australian though.

If it's Australian, you can't go past a VE Commodore wagon, stylish, functional and cheap as chips to maintain. I'm guessing he's not Australian though.

If you can find me a tidy VE Wagon for less than even 20k I'd be amazed

I'd skip the audis right off the bat. I had no problem owning warrantied audis, but used ones from that time and that mileage, no. I only made that mistake once, well, twice, ok 4 times.

What do you have against Audi's.

i drove one to 300000km. My father uses all his audis to 250000km without problem. And we still resell them after.
Same goes for BMW. Maybe check them better before buying

Sure they break only If you buy an engine that is tuned by rednecks and beaten to death while still not warm, otherwise if taken care, these engines are unbreakable. 1.8t, 2.5, 2.7, 3l, engines from VAG are reliable as are , i don't know, rufis?

As we don't know where you coming from, i recommend those.

Subaru Estate
Audi Allroad (they are more expensive due to the offroad package, but you got quattro + pneumatic suspensions)
Audi A4 Avant
Audi A6 Avant (if you can get a quattro get it as it is way more fun to drive)
98 Audi S4 avant (here prices for them are under 10000€)
Audi RS2 (old but so cool and 350hp+)
BMW's
Merc's
Exotic : An Lancer Evo Wagon
Volvos
VW (passat)

Or if you poop money as these are/ is a prototype:

Umm...that's a Stagea with a GTR front end. Nothing prototype about it, all custom.

But yeah, where you are has a pretty big influence on what you should/can get.

I agree with Event. Not only because I'm swedish, but because you do get a great ammount of car for the money. Volvo seats are the best IMO.

Here you get a late 90's V70 R in good condition for around $8000. Then you have 250+ hp and all wheel drive.

This one is a '98, has 180K miles and goes for $7252:
1332536734.jpg

Last edited:
What do you have against Audi's.

i drove one to 300000km. My father uses all his audis to 250000km without problem. And we still resell them after.
Same goes for BMW. Maybe check them better before buying

Sure they break only If you buy an engine that is tuned by rednecks and beaten to death while still not warm, otherwise if taken care, these engines are unbreakable. 1.8t, 2.5, 2.7, 3l, engines from VAG are reliable as are , i don't know, rufis?

What's there to check when you're buy a new car from a dealer? My uncle had older 1980s and 1990s audis that lasted him decades. We're talking about early/mid 2000 audis here. There is more to a car than a good engine as last I checked, that isn't all that goes wrong with audis.

If you're looking for a wagon, I highly recommend a Volvo V70. Fast, turbo, amazing seats

V70R even better
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detai...es&alMkId=20044&rpp=50&feedSegId=28705&aff=cj

Thanks for the link, haven't really looked into Volvo's, I have checked the local venues but the R Volvo are not really available.

Hi Ricardo!

Hi Nick, thanks will do so... 👍

Thanks everyone for replying, I am in the States, California to be exact.
So the GTR wagon won't really work. and the Mitsubishi does not really get my attention.

Last edited:
If longevity and reliability is your primary concern, I'd get a post-2002 or so Subaru. Once you get into the Phase II 2.5s the headgasket issue settles down quite a bit, parts are not terribly expensive, and they are easy to work on.

I don't have personal Audi experience but I hear bad things from people I trust about post-millenial VAG products, particularly at higher mileage.

I would consider a 2004+ BMW 3 series or 5 series Touring. It may have niggling little issues but nothing major for a long time. Parts are not as expensive as you might think and my E46 sedan is actually pleasant to work on.

Thanks Duke for the info 👍 that bit about the gaskets is really great help.
I've also heard the same about the Audi.
Unfortunately Bimmers are not an option as I am looking for bigger space and with two (possibly 3) dogs the room will be needed.

My friend just got rid of his '03-ish Audi A6...nothing but trouble and very expensive to own. Of course, I am biased towards Japanese cars, but they do seem to be the most reliable and lowest cost of ownership when you're talking about cars 5-10 years old.

If you can find me a tidy VE Wagon for less than even 20k I'd be amazed

Point taken. I had heard some early VE sedans were dropping below $20k now, but obviously the wagons are still holding their value.

California means you could still find eighties bargans in drivable condition :P

and since when can you get a Volvo in a colour that makes insurance companies scream bloody murder (in the states)?!

The audi/ vag probems you stating seems to be NA releated because i never heard of common big problems over here. Maybe Ecu related ?

Wanted to thank all that help out with ideas and suggestions. 👍

But after serious search and looking high and low for the right car I found it. I picked it up this past Sunday night.

Subaru Outback 2001
H6 3.0 VDC
73,950 original miles
McIntosh Stereo sounds awesome :drool:

4660624028_813f406f7e.jpg
4660001509_d1acdf9f76.jpg

4660621822_33c1d4b74c.jpg
4660000601_acf4cd4cd0.jpg

Last edited:
On a hot day, be sure to put the heater on full and see how many seconds you last.

Well done on a Scooby. Can't go wrong with them, know of quite a few that have even been driven quite hard and still come out on top for reliability and drive quality.

That Outback looks in pretty good nick too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back