Car of the Week | Week 75: Strong and Steady (Honda Castrol MUGEN NSX '00)

I'm going to hold you to that, you know :) Surprised no one else seems to have tried to recreate it with the reintroduction of Grand Valley...
Oh, I looked into it alright and kept looking past it. :lol: I’ll move that goal post like Lucy moves the football away from Charlie Brown. If PD add some GT300 cars from the past then, yeah, then it’ll look more likely for me to do it with six cars! :sly::cool:

Congratulations to @Skyrocket44 for managing to lap Tomahawk Xs in a freaking bone stock Aqua! Good shoutout to Vic too, for managing to beat an entire field of Gr.1 cars as well!

It's @Baron Blitz Red 's choice to pick this week, and he's consistently went for cars new to GT7 to try out. This week however, there's just a tiny bit of a change to that pattern.

Newly returning to the series in v1.48 after being late to the party for two years, let's welcome back to the Gran Turismo series the #16 Honda Castrol MUGEN NSX '00, otherwise known as the Honda NSX GT500 '00 in this game!

View attachment 1389398

Honda, one of the "Big Three" Japanese manufacturers, has been embroiled in the battle for supremacy in the fastest class of Super GT, GT500, since the category's infancy in 1996. However, being rear mid–engined, the NSX was subject to air intake and mass penalties solely for slinging its engine aft the cockpit, ultimately proving to be too much for teams fielding the NSX to overcome... that is, until the turn of the millennium, when the #16 car of Team Mugen x Dome Project consistently finished strongly over the 2000 season, snatching away the points lead from its competitors at the end of the season without winning a single race!

Needless to say, the #16 Castrol MUGEN NSX is one of the most historically significant cars in Honda's history, but its significance in Gran Turismo games should not be overlooked. With the 2000 NSX GT500 joining the 1997 Supra GT500 and 1999 GT-R GT500 in Gr.3, we finally have the completed trio of the JGTC GT500 cars of the Big Three in GT7, which has traditionally been the focus of late–game Gran Turismo careers. In short, it's just a sight for sore eyes! And it makes one hell of a sound as well!

With all that said, will you join us in racing this amazing car under BoP, or take part in the Single–Player Challenge featuring this car?

Join Us In Our Weekly Lobbies!

Our weekly lobbies are ongoing as usual, and anyone (not a dick) is welcome to join us in racing bone stock NSX GT500s under BoP conditions!

Click on the hyperlinks to convert the times to your time zone, and feel free to add the hosts as friends on PSN to make searching for the lobbies easier!

The Americas Lobby

The Asia/Oceania also kinda European Lobby​

BoP/Settings Disabled: On (Gr.3)
Tracks: Randomly selected by lobby participants (~5 mins practice, ~10 mins sprint)
PP Limit: No Limit
Car: Gr.3
Tyres: Racing Hard

~Single–Player Challenge!~

I'm going to hold you to that, you know :) Surprised no one else seems to have tried to recreate it with the reintroduction of Grand Valley...

That's right: this week's Single–Player Challenge recreates a Gran Turismo hood classic event: the Grand Valley 300km Endurance Race! Can you win it in a NSX GT500 '00?

The event will take roughly 2 hours to complete. Your car can be in any state of tune, but do note that BoP is On, which will adjust the car's power and mass to current BoP settings.

Set up a Custom Race with the following parameters. Any parameter not specified can be adjusted to your own liking for more or less of a challenge.

Race Type/Length: Laps/59
No. Of Cars: 20
Starting Pos.: 10
Start Type: Rolling
Starting Interval: 20m (default)
BoP: On
Boost: Weak
Slipstream Strength: Real
Tyre Wear: 1x
Fuel Consumption: 1x
Refueling Speed: Default (3ℓ/s)

Weather: Custom, Random
Time of Day: Sunrise
Time Progression Rate: 5x

Rivals: Select from Garage

Grid Slots 1–9: Gr.3 cars, default setups
Grid Slot 10: Honda NSX GT500 '00 (You!)
Grid Slots 11–20: Gr.4 cars, default setups

Flag Rules: On

Bonus points for dressing up the cars to look like a Super GT grid! If you have the garage for it, you can also try this grid roughly mimicking the entry list of the JGTC Year 2000 season:

1. GT-R GT500 '99
  2. Supra GT500 '97
  3. NSX GT500 '00
  4. GT-R GT3 '18
  5. NSX Gr.3
  6. GR Supra Racing Concept '18
  7. F1 GTR - BMW '95
  8. FT-1 Gr.3
  9. Viper SRT GT3-R '15
  10. NSX GT500 '00 (You!)
  11. Cayman GT4 Clubsport '16
  12. Atenza Gr.4
  13. GR Supra Race Car '19
  14. Viper Gr.4
  15. 86 Gr.4
  16. Silvia spec-R Aero (S15) Touring Car
  17. RC F Gr.4
  18. WRX Gr.4
  19. GT-R Gr.4
  20. 458 Gr.4

There's no competition this week; I can't ask anyone to share a 2h replay. Just share your strats, car impressions, and maybe even photos or videos of your race here on this thread!

Of course, we always welcome opinions, tunes, liveries, photos, videos, or stories about the car here on the thread!

After screaming "NS SEEEEEEX" so much in our PS chat, I'm actually sad no one got the foreshadowing for the NSX being this week's car. Like, actually how dare you levels of sad.

I just KNEW it was gonna be the Mugen NSX! That's why I cut and uploaded the 1km and Tsukuba comparisons yesterday. Wanted to release those two videos at the end of September, but just for you I released them both just now. ;)

Managed a 06.26.888 on the Nords with it. YT review: "Returning from originally GT3, we're finally getting an early 00's GT500 NSX! This very model won the '00 season btw. But how does it drive? Pretty nicely I gotta say. Very fast, engaging, thrilling and fun. Pretty happy with the lap as well btw. Could shave off around another 0.5 - 1.0 seconds."

1km drag race and Tsukuba comparisons:

Verdict: unsurprising sleeper. It does what is expected of a season winner: drive rather well and be fast.

Last edited:
So, hours before I was to put up the announcement post, Baron hit me up with a suggestion for this week's ~Single–Player Challenge~, which was to set a time with the Castrol MUGEN NSX in the qualifying time trial of whichever Daily Race was using Gr.3 machinery this week. I turned him down as Daily Race admission requires PS+, and I didn't want to exclude those without PS+ from participating in the SPC (but mostly because I already spent way too much time testing the Grand Valley custom race and psssshhh I'm not about'ta let all that go to waste!).

That said, I still want to accommodate him, given it's his week, so I've started us off on the unofficial SPC of this week officially with a time of 1:27.535 with a NSX on Medium tyres and otherwise stock settings. It's slow as heck, being about 2.5s off the top time even in the early stages, so go beat my time to a pulp!

You can tune the car if you wish, but do share your settings if you do!

Serious question: do you post songs, which you associate with the chosen cars? And if so, a little explanation would be nice as to why it is exactly song xy. :)
Yes. Every week. But I don't post it unless I want to.

spd aimp.jpg

Usually it's personal preference, so if there's no relevance, there you go. Other times, it follows to what I listen, and I pile it up in a playlist of sorts. Usually the only hint you're getting is if I decide to write about the car.

It's not all like that though, as some cars automatically have theme songs for how they come exposed to me, like a quick example: The Lamborghini Murcielago would get Hot Action Cop - Going Down On It (NFS Hot Pursuit 2 Clean Version).

This week's NSX is a Gran Turismo 2 staple, so I yoinked something I vibe from Gran Turismo 2 that's not Sex Type Thing.

Congratulations to @Skyrocket44 for managing to lap Tomahawk Xs in a freaking bone stock Aqua! Good shoutout to Vic too, for managing to beat an entire field of Gr.1 cars as well!

It's @Baron Blitz Red 's choice to pick this week, and he's consistently went for cars new to GT7 to try out. This week however, there's just a tiny bit of a change to that pattern.

Newly returning to the series in v1.48 after being late to the party for two years, let's welcome back to the Gran Turismo series the #16 Honda Castrol MUGEN NSX '00, otherwise known as the Honda NSX GT500 '00 in this game!

View attachment 1389398

Honda, one of the "Big Three" Japanese manufacturers, has been embroiled in the battle for supremacy in the fastest class of Super GT, GT500, since the category's infancy in 1996. However, being rear mid–engined, the NSX was subject to air intake and mass penalties solely for slinging its engine aft the cockpit, ultimately proving to be too much for teams fielding the NSX to overcome... that is, until the turn of the millennium, when the #16 car of Team Mugen x Dome Project consistently finished strongly over the 2000 season, snatching away the points lead from its competitors at the end of the season without winning a single race!

Needless to say, the #16 Castrol MUGEN NSX is one of the most historically significant cars in Honda's history, but its significance in Gran Turismo games should not be overlooked. With the 2000 NSX GT500 joining the 1997 Supra GT500 and 1999 GT-R GT500 in Gr.3, we finally have the completed trio of the JGTC GT500 cars of the Big Three in GT7, which has traditionally been the focus of late–game Gran Turismo careers. In short, it's just a sight for sore eyes! And it makes one hell of a sound as well!

With all that said, will you join us in racing this amazing car under BoP, or take part in the Single–Player Challenge featuring this car?

Join Us In Our Weekly Lobbies!

Our weekly lobbies are ongoing as usual, and anyone (not a dick) is welcome to join us in racing bone stock NSX GT500s under BoP conditions!

Click on the hyperlinks to convert the times to your time zone, and feel free to add the hosts as friends on PSN to make searching for the lobbies easier!

The Americas Lobby

The Asia/Oceania also kinda European Lobby​

BoP/Settings Disabled: On (Gr.3)
Tracks: Randomly selected by lobby participants (~5 mins practice, ~10 mins sprint)
PP Limit: No Limit
Car: Gr.3
Tyres: Racing Hard

~Single–Player Challenge!~

That's right: this week's Single–Player Challenge recreates a Gran Turismo hood classic event: the Grand Valley 300km Endurance Race! Can you win it in a NSX GT500 '00?

The event will take roughly 2 hours to complete. Your car can be in any state of tune, but do note that BoP is On, which will adjust the car's power and mass to current BoP settings.

Set up a Custom Race with the following parameters. Any parameter not specified can be adjusted to your own liking for more or less of a challenge.

Race Type/Length: Laps/59
No. Of Cars: 20
Starting Pos.: 10
Start Type: Rolling
Starting Interval: 20m (default)
BoP: On
Boost: Weak
Slipstream Strength: Real
Tyre Wear: 1x
Fuel Consumption: 1x
Refueling Speed: Default (3ℓ/s)

Weather: Custom, Random
Time of Day: Sunrise
Time Progression Rate: 5x

Rivals: Select from Garage

Grid Slots 1–9: Gr.3 cars, default setups
Grid Slot 10: Honda NSX GT500 '00 (You!)
Grid Slots 11–20: Gr.4 cars, default setups

Flag Rules: On

Bonus points for dressing up the cars to look like a Super GT grid! If you have the garage for it, you can also try this grid roughly mimicking the entry list of the JGTC Year 2000 season:

1. GT-R GT500 '99
  2. Supra GT500 '97
  3. NSX GT500 '00
  4. GT-R GT3 '18
  5. NSX Gr.3
  6. GR Supra Racing Concept '18
  7. F1 GTR - BMW '95
  8. FT-1 Gr.3
  9. Viper SRT GT3-R '15
  10. NSX GT500 '00 (You!)
  11. Cayman GT4 Clubsport '16
  12. Atenza Gr.4
  13. GR Supra Race Car '19
  14. Viper Gr.4
  15. 86 Gr.4
  16. Silvia spec-R Aero (S15) Touring Car
  17. RC F Gr.4
  18. WRX Gr.4
  19. GT-R Gr.4
  20. 458 Gr.4

There's no competition this week; I can't ask anyone to share a 2h replay. Just share your strats, car impressions, and maybe even photos or videos of your race here on this thread!

Of course, we always welcome opinions, tunes, liveries, photos, videos, or stories about the car here on the thread!

After screaming "NS SEEEEEEX" so much in our PS chat, I'm actually sad no one got the foreshadowing for the NSX being this week's car. Like, actually how dare you levels of sad.

So, hours before I was to put up the announcement post, Baron hit me up with a suggestion for this week's ~Single–Player Challenge~, which was to set a time with the Castrol MUGEN NSX in the qualifying time trial of whichever Daily Race was using Gr.3 machinery this week. I turned him down as Daily Race admission requires PS+, and I didn't want to exclude those without PS+ from participating in the SPC (but mostly because I already spent way too much time testing the Grand Valley custom race and psssshhh I'm not about'ta let all that go to waste!).

That said, I still want to accommodate him, given it's his week, so I've started us off on the unofficial SPC of this week officially with a time of 1:27.535 with a NSX on Medium tyres and otherwise stock settings. It's slow as heck, being about 2.5s off the top time even in the early stages, so go beat my time to a pulp!

I'm going to livestream both of these tonight. cheers.

For the Murcielago "Mercy" by Kanye would be fitting as well. :)

Just before I forget, here are the Aqua's stats.

0-100 km/h​
10,05 s​
0-160 km/h​
25,95 s​
0-200 km/h​
65,85 s​
Top Speed​
203 km/h​
200-0 km/h​
5,75 s​
100-0 km/h​
2,983 s​
400m​
17,15 s @133 km/h​
1000m​
31,133 s @170km/h​
100-150 km/h​
12,067 s​

toyota aqua s 2011.png

toyota aqua s 2011 brakes.png

For the Murcielago "Mercy" by Kanye would be fitting as well. :)
I think you quoted the wrong post.
Just before I forget, here are the Aqua's stats.

0-100 km/h​
10,05 s​
0-160 km/h​
25,95 s​
0-200 km/h​
65,85 s​
Top Speed​
203 km/h​
200-0 km/h​
5,75 s​
100-0 km/h​
2,983 s​
400m​
17,15 s @133 km/h​
1000m​
31,133 s @170km/h​
100-150 km/h​
12,067 s​

View attachment 1389671
View attachment 1389674
That's amazing, how did you make those charts?

Nice! That was a super close finish between the 458 and you. How much trouble was it throughout the race? Obelisk was just telling me how fast it effed off into the distance when he tried it.
Was usually not more than a second off my tail even with lapped traffic, but could never mount a challenge. I did crash into a wall around where the track rejoins the short layout on lap 51, but that car had to pit anyway.

Latest Posts

Back