• 13 comments
Uruguay
Rivera
Tsukishima-TDUDT
wGxjQ0o.png
Chevrolet Camaro Yenko RS/SS 427 '68
wGxjQ0o.png

1968-chevrolet-camaro-yenko-rs-ss-427.jpg

Yenko Chevrolet, located in Canonsburg, Pennsylvania, was one of largest custom muscle car shops of the late 1960s and early 1970s. When the Camaro entered the pony car fray in 1967, Yenko transplanted Chevrolet's 427 cubic inch (7 L), 425 horsepower L-72 engine (along with other high-performance parts) and created the Yenko Camaro. The 1967 & 1968 427 Camaros were so popular that, in 1969, Yenko used Chevrolet's Central Office Production Order (COPO) system to have L-72 engines installed into Chevrolet Camaros, Chevelles, and Novas on the factory assembly lines.

The Yenko Camaro holds a special place in the history of Chevrolet’s pony car. First produced in 1967, the Yenko Camaro answered the demand for a big block Camaro with enough cubic inches and power to take on the much higher-displacement Ford Cobra Jet and Chrysler Hemi engines. With Corvette’s L72 427 CI big block under the special fiberglass hood, a four-speed transmission, 4.10 Positraction rear end, front disc brakes and heavy-duty suspension, the Yenko 427 was every Camaro drag racer’s dream come true. As ubiquitous as they seemed at the time thanks to contemporary wall-to-wall magazine coverage and advertising, only 65 Yenko 427 Camaros rumbled out of Don Yenko’s Canonsburg, Pennsylvania dealership in 1968.

Of those hand-built rarities, only 11 were delivered in SS trim together with the Rally Sport package, one of which was offered recently in rare Matador Red with Black stripes and a Black vinyl top. Faithfully restored by Chuck Huber of Aliquippa, Pennsylvania. The 1968 Yenko Camaro RS/SS 427 was named the 1992 Muscle Car of the Year by Muscle Car Review. It has also been the subject of five magazine feature articles and appears in the book “Yenko: The Man, The Machines, The Legend” by Bob McClurg. It is powered by the L72 427/450 HP engine backed by a Muncie M21 close ratio 4-speed and carries all the signature details: scooped and pinned fiberglass hood, Yenko and 427 badges, Yenko center caps on Pontiac Rally wheels with Redline tires and, in the Black bucket seat interior, a Stewart Warner tach and auxiliary gauges.

Specs:
yenko camaro.png

1968-chevrolet-camaro-yenko-rs-ss-427-2.jpg

1968-chevrolet-camaro-yenko-rs-ss-427-5.jpg

1968-chevrolet-camaro-yenko-rs-ss-427-4.jpg

Last edited:
...Wow, this hasn't been suggested yet?? Crazy.

I didn't know only 11 of RS Yenkos were built. No wonder a decent '69 Yenkos go for more than 300K.

Since this is a RS, I'm guessing this could fetch upto 700k, if it's in good nick. A lot of moolah for a car that can't go around corners...

But the car in this thread is the Camaro Yenko equipped with both SS and RS options...
Your post says that only 11 cars were delivered in RS trim. Your snippet says only 11 were equipped with RS and SS options. That tells me that 53 were SS only and 11 were RS - so while your title mops up all 64 cars by being ambiguous, calling it "RS" nets all of the 11 cars you're suggesting.

There's also no generation of Camaro specified, so this thread is further indexed incorrectly.

If I have to visit this thread again to tell you, I won't be visiting it any further times.

But the car in this thread is the Camaro Yenko equipped with both SS and RS options...
Your post says that only 11 cars were delivered in RS trim. Your snippet says only 11 were equipped with RS and SS options. That tells me that 53 were SS only and 11 were RS - so while your title mops up all 64 cars by being ambiguous, calling it "RS" nets all of the 11 cars you're suggesting.
Guys, "RS" wasn't a trim level for the 1st Generation Chevrolet Camaro. Actually, it was an appearance package. Basically, that article is saying that people basically were getting the SS trim with the RS package.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Camaro_(first_generation)
The RS was an appearance package that included hidden headlights, revised taillights with back-up lights under the rear bumper, RS badging, and exterior rocker trim.

This is a normal Camaro SS.
Chevrolet_Camaro_SS_1967.jpg

and here's the Camaro SS with the RS package.

1967-chevrolet-camaro-ss-350-front.jpg

EDIT: Another thing I should note is that most Camaro fans refer to the RS package camaros as either "RS SS", "RS/SS", or "SS/RS". They do the same thing for the Z/28 RS package Camaros. It's actually a common naming thing done for the RS package Camaros.

Last edited:
Basically, that article is saying that people basically were getting the SS trim with the RS package.
Then the title still isn't right...

"SS with RS Package" would be right, and it would allow the thread to be indexed correctly.

Back