Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Vs. Nissan Skyline R34 GTR

  • Thread starter Thread starter FAOLIU05
  • 137 comments
  • 19,339 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
Messages
336
Recently I've engaged in verbal combat with various members in a thread in the GT4 section called: "skylines." I derailed the topic completely, and it will probably be closed due to how off track it is... So I bring the debate here. Which is better? The $50,000 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06? Or the 1999 $90,000 Nissan Skyline R34 GTR?

I'm taking the side of the Z06.
tb_vette-sm.jpg

When Popular Mechanics Magazine staged the Z06 they weren't expecting much. But as they floored the LS6 it took off like a rocket, pushing some .99g's off the line. It sped pass 30mph in 2 seconds flat; hit 60mph in 4.5 seconds; hit 100mph in 9.3 seconds; and finished with a 12.5 second 1/4 Mile time @ 115.1mph. It lived up to Chevy's hype and was deamed the most underrated sportcar in their "Nation of Acceleration" contest, as the Z06 they drove costs $52,000. Every other car in the contest either doubled or quadrupled it in price.

But this isn't enough. Some people still think the Z06 is a low 13 second to high, high 12 second car. But the truth is, it's everything Chevy said it was. Here are some time slips from people who drive stock Z06's:
2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
This person managed to get his stock Z06 into the high 11 range:
2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
You can find more times here:
www.Z06Vette.com

The Z06 offers performance any other company would sell for $70,000 or more. For example, the Lamborghini Gallardo sold at $200,000:
tb_lambo-sm.jpg


Not only does the Lamborghini Gallardo have the infamous Lamborghini AWD system, a 5.0L V10 which produces 100hp more than the Z06, and Pirelli High Performance Rosso tires, it still can't seem to lose the Vette. And don't even get me started about how bad the Gallardo would get beat at a full circuit race track. If the Gallardo can't beat the 280hp NSX-R, than there is no way its going to touch the Vette.

But what can a Vette do with 500hp?
1999 DRM Z51R: 525rwhp: 10.88 seconds @ 137mph
2002 DRM C500/RSR: 500hp: 11.77 seconds @ 121mph
What can a Z06 Vette do with just drag radials?
2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
What can a Z06 Vette do with just an after market Intake?
2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06

The Z06 is also a force to reckon with in the Tuner World. Just about any time you see a Vette you're facing inevitable defeat. But one thing that catches my eye is the monstrous 2001 Lingenfelter Corvette 427TT - which is the quickest car under $200,000 and under 800hp:
2001 Lingenfelter Corvette Z06
Infamous 8.95 second 1/4 Mile Run

So next time you see, hear about, or talk about a Vette, you better recognize and give them up most respect. You should give Chevrolet some respect as they didn't sell out like Dodge and Ford did. They kept the Z06 for the middle-class Americans. It is without a doubt the Best Bang for the Buck Sportcar in the market today. It never fails to excite you and satisfy your need for speed.

Corvette Z06 Vs. Mustang Cobra
Corvette Z06 Vs. Viper GTS
Corvette Z06 Vs. Diablo 6.0
Corvette Z06 Vs. Viper SRT-10

Now that we have that out of the way... Here are the graphs I made and confirmed from the "skylines" thread:

Nürburgring Nordschleife:
2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 - 8'18
2002 Audi RS6 - 8'20
2000 BMW M3 - 8'22
2003 Audi S4 - 8'24
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - 8'24
2003 Nissan 350Z - 8'26
2002 BMW M5 - 8'28
1999 Nissan Skyline R34 GTR - 8'28

0-60mph:
2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 - 4.5 seconds
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - 4.5 seconds
2003 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO VIII MR - 4.7 seconds
2005 Porsche 911 Carrera - 4.9 seconds
1997 Toyota Supra Turbo - 4.9 seconds
2003 Audi S4 - 5.0 seconds
2006 Porsche Cayman - 5.1 seconds
1999 Nissan Skyline R34 GTR - 5.1 seconds
2003 Nissan 350Z - 5.4 seconds

Top Speed:
2005 Porsche 911 Carrera - 177mph
2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 - 175mph
2006 Porsche Cayman - 171mph
1997 Toyota Supra Turbo - 160mph
2003 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO VIII - 157mph
2003 Nissan 350Z - 156mph
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - 155mph
2003 Audi S4 - 155mph
1999 Nissan Skyline R34 GTR - 155mph

1/4 Mile Times:
2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 - 12.5 seconds
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - 13.2 seconds
2000 BMW M3 - 13.2 seconds
2003 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO VIII MR - 13.4 seconds
2003 Audi S4 - 13.6 seconds
1997 Toyota Supra - 13.6 seconds
1999 Nissan Skyline R34 GTR - 13.7 seconds

Curb Weight:
2003 Nissan 350Z - 3,150lbs
2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 - 3,246lbs
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - 3,263lbs
2003 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO VIII MR - 3,300lbs
1999 Nissan Skyline R34 GTR - 3,395lbs
2000 BMW M3 - 3,460lbs
1997 Toyota Supra Turbo - 3,515lbs
2003 Audi S4 - 3,864lbs

The above statistics are confirmed. The Skyline R34, which costs $90,000, is the worste performing car in my own selection. I based the comparisons off price range. No car in my selection exceeds $75,000. The cheapest car in my selection costs less than $30,000.

I'd much rather have the 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 as my daily driver. It has way better performance, it is way more reliable than a Skyline, and it is a complete womanizer. It also kicks the Skyline's ass in Gas Mileage:

Gas Mileage (mpg):
2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 - 19/28
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX - 20/27
2003 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO VIII MR - 18/26
2003 Audi S4 - 15/24
2000 BMW M3 - 14/24
1997 Toyota Supra Turbo - 18/23
1999 Nissan Skyline R34 GTR - 14/23

So, something is wrong with the Skyline... It's not the fastest, nor the quickest... It's one of the lightest and apparently one of the best handling cars in the world - according to the majority of the "import tuner world." However, it fails to be the quickest at Nurburgring.

Am I wrong to assume that the Z06 is better than the Skyline R34 GTR?
 
You forget to mention the stock hp's of these cars, rememeber a stock 99 Skyline GTR is rated at only 280hp (although in reality it is abit higher than that).

13.7 1/4mile for the Skyline is quite slow as my R33 GTS25t can do that with very minor mods. A R34 GTR only takes very minor modifications to get into the 12's, but even stock they should be in the mid to low 13's like 13.3.

Also your Nur time is an awful slow one, the R33 GTR got high 7 min laps times stock.

Please dont turn this into a Skyline bashing thread.
 
VIPERGTSR01
You forget to mention the stock hp's of these cars, rememeber a stock 99 Skyline GTR is rated at only 280hp (although in reality it is abit higher than that).

13.7 1/4mile for the Skyline is quite slow as my R33 GTS25t can do that with very minor mods. A R34 GTR only takes very minor modifications to get into the 12's, but even stock they should be in the mid to low 13's like 13.3.

Also your Nur time is an awful slow one, the R33 GTR got high 7 min laps times stock.

Please dont turn this into a Skyline bashing thread.
Not the '99 R34 GTR which is rated at 276hp runs at 8'28. It would be highly unusual for a car with a mere 280hp to run in the 7's. That must have been '04 Z-Tune which is rated at 500hp. There is a '02 Nur Edition R34, but I highly doubt it runs in the 7's with Vipers, Ferrari's, Porsche's, and Lamborghini's.

The Skyline will get only as much bashing as you people think it deserves. If you don't want it to get bashed, than defend it!
 
FAOLIU05
Not the '99 R34 GTR which is rated at 276hp. That must have been '04 Z-Tune which is rated at 500hp. I'm talking about the '99 which runs 8'28.


The Z tune is limited to 500hp due to emissions, remove the emission restrictions and you get 630hp.

The R33 GTR 93-98 is the one that got record Nur time of just under 8mins, and Im aware the R34 is quicker.

All the Skyline GTR times you have listed are very slow, except maybe the top speed even though R34 GTR's are limited to 180kph (111mph)

7:59 --- 154.822 kph -- Nissan Skyline R33 GT-R, Dirk Schoymans (Autocar magazine 1997)

FAOLIU05
The Skyline will get only as much bashing as you people think it deserves. If you don't want it to get bashed, than defend it!


:indiff: How old are you?
 
FAOLIU05
So, something is wrong with the Skyline... It's not the fastest, nor the quickest... It's one of the lightest and apparently one of the best handling cars in the world - according to the majority of the "import tuner world." However, it fails to be the quickest at Nurburgring.

Am I wrong to assume that the Z06 is better than the Skyline R34 GTR?
No, you're not wrong. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. The problem is some of the ways your looking at things.

First off, whoever you heard from that told you the GT-R was "one of the lightest and best handling cars" doesn't know much. No AWD car is ever going to be light. It just won't happen. And, because of that, it won't be the best handling. It has decent handling because of the electronic AWD and YAW control systems it has to help get its heft around corners.

Is it a great performance machine??? Yes, of course. As far as engines go, the RB26 will go down in history as one of the most "mod-friendly" engines ever. Very stout, and the aftermarket parts available rival that of the Honda B-Series.

The other problem your debate brings is the price. You say the Skyline costs $90k. Well, it does here in the US. But, thats after major import, conversion, and markup fees. The car was never intended to be sold here, so the fact that you can even get one here is amazing. But, when people act like it ACTUALLY cost $90k, they're sorely mistaken.

Sold in Japan, the car cost a little more than a high end Evo or STi Impreza. So, when new, we're really talking about a $40k-ish car. Not $90k. If the car did cost $90k, then you could question the performance. But, in its market, where it was intended to be sold, the car has good performance per value.

It is a great car, there is no doubt. Is it better than the Z06??? Depends on what you want to do. Personally, if I was getting a daily driver, I'm all about the GT-R. But, if all I want is speed, then of course you get the Vette. As a whole though, I'm more drawn to the GT-R. It has a great aftermarket, looks great, and its AWD so its a year-round car. Thats too hard for the Z06 to beat that in my book.

Hilg
 
Ferealised Lotus Elise +LSS. (stats in order of appearance in your post, bold tags represent where staitistically the Elise tops the Z06, on paper.)

-45,000$
-0-60 in 4.4 seconds

-I honestly couldn't care less about 1/4 mile. I don't buy a car to drive it in a straight line.
-I'd give you a ring time if I knew it.
-0-60, 4,4 again.
-155 mph (boohoo)
-curb weight 1892lbs
-21/30 (based on averages taken from numerous Elise owners)


I'm not trying to bash any car or promote any car, but the Elise is certainly gives the Z06 a run for it's money in the "It is without a doubt the Best Bang for the Buck Sportcar in the market today" category.




Oh and by the way, it's "utmost", not "up most".
 
I don't doubt that Corvettes are great cars. Is it better than Skyline GT-Rs? I'm sure it is in certain areas, just like how Skyline is superior in certain areas.

$90,000 Skyline? Is this the two GT-R package?

FAOLIU05
So next time you see, hear about, or talk about a Vette, you better recognize and give them up most respect. You should give Chevrolet some respect as they didn't sell out like Dodge and Ford did. They kept the Z06 for the middle-class Americans. It is without a doubt the Best Bang for the Buck Sportcar in the market today. It never fails to excite you and satisfy your need for speed.
All I can say is WOW. :rolleyes: You are promoting people to hate your "Vettes", if anything. I'm pretty sure Chevrolet does not want your help. :)
 
Meh, the Elise is too small for me. Thats where it flaws. However, the Corvette can seat people up to 6'5 comfortably. I know this from experience. Not only that but a lot of basket ball players and football players buy Vettes.

And I know that the 2000 Lotus Exige does 8'42. The Exige is pretty much a supped up Elise, so I wouldn't expect any better times from a Elise.

Elise 0-60 Times (confirmed by Lotus):
2000 S190 - 4.4 seconds
2001 Elise - 5.7 seconds
2002 111S - 5.1 seconds
2002 135 - 5.4 seconds
2002 T25 - 5.6 seconds
2002 T49 - 5.6 seconds
2003 135R - 5.3 seconds
2003 99T - 5.1 seconds
2004 111R - 4.9 seconds

I assume you're talking about the 2004 Lotus Elise 111R, as its the only one that weighs 1,892lbs. It is the heaviest Elise out of Lotus' lineup. However, only off the line does it compete with the Z06 because their 0-100mph times are 4 seconds apart. Not only that, but they actually top out at 150mph - not 155mph, and that doesn't compare to the Vette's top speed and acceleration to the top speed. I'm sure its handling would change considerably if you swapped its 4-cylinder with a 5.7L LS6 V8. ;)

But hey... According to Need For Speed - the Lotus Elise is faster than a McLaren F1! :lol:
 
FAOLIU05
Meh, the Elise is too small for me. Thats where it flaws. However, the Corvette can seat people up to 6'5 comfortably. I know this from experience. Not only that but a lot of basket ball players and football players buy Vettes.
Yeah. I think Elise is like a totally different kind of breed. Having said that, I'd pick Elise over Corvette or R34. :D
 
a6m5
I don't doubt that Corvettes are great cars. Is it better than Skyline GT-Rs? I'm sure it is in certain areas, just like how Skyline is superior in certain areas.

$90,000 Skyline? Is this the two GT-R package?


All I can say is WOW. :rolleyes: You are promoting people to hate your "Vettes", if anything. I'm pretty sure Chevrolet does not want your help. :)

If the Vette comes out on top on the majority of the situations and performance aspects, than you can't say that Skylines are equal to them. I had shown that the Skyline is far, far away from the Z06's capabilities. They have better all around track capabilities plus gas mileage. The Skyline might get the Vette on stability and crash tests though... :sly:

And I guess with your last statement, your emphasising the MSRP value of the new Z06 ($65,000 was it?)... Well... It does have 500hp. You find me a brand new 500hp car that will sell for less than $60k, and I'll gladly take back my "promoting."
 
FAOLIU05
Meh, the Elise is too small for me. Thats where it flaws. However, the Corvette can seat people up to 6'5 comfortably. I know this from experience. Not only that but a lot of basket ball players and football players buy Vettes.

And I know that the 2000 Lotus Exige does 8'42. The Exige is pretty much a supped up Elise, so I wouldn't expect any better times from a Elise.

Elise 0-60 Times (confirmed by Lotus):
2000 S190 - 4.4 seconds
2001 Elise - 5.7 seconds
2002 111S - 5.1 seconds
2002 135 - 5.4 seconds
2002 T25 - 5.6 seconds
2002 T49 - 5.6 seconds
2003 135R - 5.3 seconds
2003 99T - 5.1 seconds
2004 111R - 4.9 seconds

I assume you're talking about the 2004 Lotus Elise 111R, as its the only one that weighs 1,892lbs. It is the heaviest Elise out of Lotus' lineup. However, only off the line does it compete with the Z06 because their 0-100mph times are 4 seconds apart. Not only that, but they actually top out at 150mph - not 155mph, and that doesn't compare to the Vette's top speed and acceleration to the top speed. I'm sure its handling would change considerably if you swapped its 4-cylinder with a 5.7L LS6 V8. ;)

But hey... According to Need For Speed - the Lotus Elise is faster than a McLaren F1! :lol:

The Elise seats people 6'2 comfortably. That is what I have heard from owners that size.

Hoooooooooooooooold on there buddy. The S1 Exige and S2 fed. Elise +LSS are not at all the same thing, and are not "pretty much a supped up Elise".

0-60 times in an LSS Elise, done with a proper take-off, can get there in 4.4. See a 111R and a fed LSS Elise are not the same things, but you didn't know that, did you.

Yes, it's handiling would get far worse if you added all that unnecessary power. Doing just that is one of the most ignorant modifications to do on this car, it's completely missing the entire point. And there is no denying it, the Elise chassis is one of the most balanced and stable chassis ever created, and the car's handling is world class. Numerous people have called it the best handling car. If it isn't the Elise, I'm sure an older model Lotus would come up in the discussion.

Have you ever driven a car at 150mph? Have you ever driven one at 60?
 
a6m5
$90,000 Skyline? Is this the two GT-R package?
Yea man, you never heard of that option package??? Its the Odd/Even Performance package. You get 2 GT-Rs, one for the Odd # days, and one for the Even # days. HA HA HA!!!! Seriously, you can't be serious with the $90k. The price here in the US for them is just way what they actually cost.
FAOLIU05
It is without a doubt the Best Bang for the Buck Sportcar in the market today.
After pokin around the old interweb, here are some #'s to throw at you and your "Bang-for-Buck" debate.

2004 Corvette Z06
$54,720 / 405hp = $135/hp

2004 Nissan 350Z
$26800 / 287hp = $93/hp

2004 Dodge SRT-4
$21295 / 230hp = $92/hp

So, after just browsing around for a few minutes, you can see that the Z06 isn't exactly that great for the dollar. Yes, its a great machine. But, at $55k it better be damn good. And, fact is, day-to-day, I'll gladdly take an STi, Evo, or SRT-4 over one of them. Might not have 100% of the stock performance potential of the Vette, but on a day-to-day basis where you never use it, I'll gladdly take the utility of the others.

And, given that you can basically have 2 of those cars for the price of the Vette, its even better. I could have a bone-stock daily driver WRX, and a balls-out, modded performance machine STi for the weekends for the $55k you spend for just the 2-seat, RWD, no trunk Vette. Thats just me though.

Hilg
 
VIPERGTSR01
7:59 --- 154.822 kph -- Nissan Skyline R33 GT-R, Dirk Schoymans (Autocar magazine 1997)

Thats with unknown suspension and boost. This R33 GT-R lap time was without the limiter.

Also, here is a N-ring time for the Skyline GTR V-Spec (350hp) - 8'37

I find it hard to believe that Skylines run under 8 minutes completely stock and untampered. The confirmed list I draw these times say that anything under or near 8 minutes is Supercar territory.
 
The 7'59 was with the speed limiter removed, the 8'20+ times where with the factory 180kph (111mph) speed limiters, thats what robs all the time on fast tracks like Nurburgring.

Can you imagine how much time you lose sitting on the back long straight stuck at 111mph!
 
JNasty4G63
Yea man, you never heard of that option package??? Its the Odd/Even Performance package. You get 2 GT-Rs, one for the Odd # days, and one for the Even # days. HA HA HA!!!! Seriously, you can't be serious with the $90k. The price here in the US for them is just way what they actually cost.

After pokin around the old interweb, here are some #'s to throw at you and your "Bang-for-Buck" debate.

2004 Corvette Z06
$54,720 / 405hp = $135/hp

2004 Nissan 350Z
$26800 / 287hp = $93/hp

2004 Dodge SRT-4
$21295 / 230hp = $92/hp

So, after just browsing around for a few minutes, you can see that the Z06 isn't exactly that great for the dollar. Yes, its a great machine. But, at $55k it better be damn good. And, fact is, day-to-day, I'll gladdly take an STi, Evo, or SRT-4 over one of them. Might not have 100% of the stock performance potential of the Vette, but on a day-to-day basis where you never use it, I'll gladdly take the utility of the others.

And, given that you can basically have 2 of those cars for the price of the Vette, its even better. I could have a bone-stock daily driver WRX, and a balls-out, modded performance machine STi for the weekends for the $55k you spend for just the 2-seat, RWD, no trunk Vette. Thats just me though.

Hilg
I don't understand here... Are you comparing the SRT-4 and 350Z with a Z06? That doesn't work...

The way you compared them was also kind of awkward. I don't look at horsepower, and no car enthusiast should. We should be looking at performance numbers, and neither the 350Z or SRT-4 have numbers anywhere close to the Z06. And don't go off listing simularities, thats just a waste of time. Bottomline is, the Z06's performance isn't matched by any sportscar that costs less than $50,000. I'm mean, I'm sorry you went through the trouble of calculating dollars to horsepower to prove a point, but that itself was pointless.

Now, this isn't Vette Z06 vs. The World, and I simply won't debate it because there are too many factors there. Anyone could say anything and nothing would get accomplished.
 
eliseracer
Have you ever driven a car at 150mph? Have you ever driven one at 60?

????

How old are you? What car do you drive?
 
I'm 19 and I drive a Camaro. It's kind of hard not to go 100mph+ when you drive a Camaro, if you can imagine. lol
 
2005 STi Spec C Type RA - 7.59.41

Thats a link for you. That right there is a production, 4-door, 4-cylinder, Japanese monster running a sub-8 at the 'Ring. The page is Googlated from Japanese to English, so bear with the writing. But, you can see the numbers just fine. So, that little Japanese sedan just beat your Z06 by 19sec. Like I said, the Z06 is a fine machine. But, there are lots of other good choices out there.

Hilg
 
FAOLIU05
Now, this isn't Vette Z06 vs. The World, and I simply won't debate it because there are too many factors there. Anyone could say anything and nothing would get accomplished.

Whaaaaaat? What are you talking about? Not only are you trying to support that exact theme, the whole thread seems to be about it, and the whole reason to make such a thread was for this exact point! You've mentioned it so many times youself!

I am not doubting the stellar Corvette, but the point of this thread seems to be "this is a thread I made about my favorite car and here are a bunch of numbers that prove why it's better than yours."

That's why I asked your age, mostly 13 year olds start these sorts of threads.
 
JNasty4G63
2005 STi Spec C Type RA - 7.59.41

Thats a link for you. That right there is a production, 4-door, 4-cylinder, Japanese monster running a sub-8 at the 'Ring. The page is Googlated from Japanese to English, so bear with the writing. But, you can see the numbers just fine. So, that little Japanese sedan just beat your Z06 by 19sec. Like I said, the Z06 is a fine machine. But, there are lots of other good choices out there.

Hilg
Good for that Subaru, and thanks for verifying my point. BTW that STi weighs 308lbs less than the average STi, meaning it's like an all-wheel-drive Miata with a turbo. But hey, thats cool that you found it. Those STi's are truly something to go crazy about.

eliseracer
Whaaaaaat? What are you talking about? Not only are you trying to support that exact theme, the whole thread seems to be about it, and the whole reason to make such a thread was for this exact point! You've mentioned it so many times youself!

I am not doubting the stellar Corvette, but the point of this thread seems to be "this is a thread I made about my favorite car and here are a bunch of numbers that prove why it's better than yours."

That's why I asked your age, mostly 13 year olds start these sorts of threads.
No no... Most of the stuff I post is to give demension to my opinion. If anyone likes Skylines as much as I do, than they would've done the same thing, but instead of adding more statistics, one would most likely post some asinine lame ass comment about how 13 year olds compare cars and stupid crap like that to compensate for the lack of statistics they have to back up their differing opinions. Now that is certainly elementry mentality. :rolleyes:
 
FAOLIU05
Not the '99 R34 GTR which is rated at 276hp runs at 8'28. It would be highly unusual for a car with a mere 280hp to run in the 7's. That must have been '04 Z-Tune which is rated at 500hp. There is a '02 Nur Edition R34, but I highly doubt it runs in the 7's with Vipers, Ferrari's, Porsche's, and Lamborghini's.

The Skyline will get only as much bashing as you people think it deserves. If you don't want it to get bashed, than defend it!

Nürburgring Nordschleife:
2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 - 8'18

The 2002 Honda NSX-R ran it in 7’56.xxx. It has 276ps (quoted power) and weighs at a light 2800lbs. From the time you quoted of the Z06 – it’s quicker by a large margin.

I have heard that a stock Z06 ran it in 7’56.xxx as well. So did the Porsche 911 Turbo.

The Skyline GTR can easily be in the high 12s with a good driver. There are video proofs in Japan – but once again – track conditions and other variables might change the results. It’s definitely a low 13s car.

FAOLIU05
The confirmed list I draw these times say that anything under or near 8 minutes is Supercar territory.

You just called a Honda – a supercar.



If you're saying a Corvette Z06 is faster than a Skyline GTR. You're correct.
If you're saying a Corvette Z06 is better than a Skyline GTR because of the performance stats - that's you're opinion - you can't force others to think that.

Being a loyal GTR fan (like I always had been) - I would choose a GTR over a Z06 any day - but that is my personal perference. Not because I think the GTR is faster.
 
FAOLIU05
If the Vette comes out on top on the majority of the situations and performance aspects, than you can't say that Skylines are equal to them. I had shown that the Skyline is far, far away from the Z06's capabilities. They have better all around track capabilities plus gas mileage. The Skyline might get the Vette on stability and crash tests though... :sly:
TBH, I don't know much about either cars, so I'll take your word for it. However:
FAOLIU05
And I guess with your last statement, your emphasising the MSRP value of the new Z06 ($65,000 was it?)... Well... It does have 500hp. You find me a brand new 500hp car that will sell for less than $60k, and I'll gladly take back my "promoting."
I don't know how you came to that conclusion. :confused: I don't even know the price of Z06, but if you are going to compare cars by the MSRP, isn't regular Corvette more comparable with the Skyline GT-R?
 
rollazn
Nürburgring Nordschleife:
2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 - 8'18

The 2002 Honda NSX-R ran it in 7’56.xxx. It has 276ps (quoted power) and weighs at a light 2800lbs. From the time you quoted of the Z06 – it’s quicker by a large margin.

I have heard that a stock Z06 ran it in 7’56.xxx as well. So did the Porsche 911 Turbo.

The Skyline GTR can easily be in the high 12s with a good driver. There are video proofs in Japan – but once again – track conditions and other variables might change the results. It’s definitely a low 13s car.



You just called a Honda – a supercar.



If you're saying a Corvette Z06 is faster than a Skyline GTR. You're correct.
If you're saying a Corvette Z06 is better than a Skyline GTR because of the performance stats - that's you're opinion - you can't force others to think that.

Being a loyal GTR fan (like I always had been) - I would choose a GTR over a Z06 any day - but that is my personal perference. Not because I think the GTR is faster.

I'm not forcing anyone to think anything. I'm wanting a good debate because apparently some people have a big issue with a Z06 being able to out-perform a Skyline on the track. I'm just trying to clarify. If someone has some cold hard proof that the Skyline R34 GTR can average up to be better than a Z06, post it up. I got flamed for basically saying that Z06's are better than GTR's. Show me I'm wrong, and I'll gladly shut up - because apparently nobody wants to argue about it.

Track wise, the Z06 is better, is it not?
 
FAOLIU05
Most of the stuff I post is to give demension to my opinion.
I believe you mean DIMENSION, not demension. Though, after hearing most of your "arguments" I could go either way with this.

Dementia
1 - Deterioration of intellectual faculties, such as memory, concentration, and judgment, resulting from an organic disease or a disorder of the brain. It is sometimes accompanied by emotional disturbance and personality changes
2 - Madness; insanity.

I agree with eliseracer on this one. You bring up who knows how many cars in this thread, but then you say you aren't making this a "Vette vs. The World" thread. You aren't??? You've brought up cars from just about every major country in the auto-producing world. We all know the Vette is a decent performance machine. No one doubts that. But a thread about how its good and everything else isn't just makes no sense. Dementia

Hilg
 
a6m5
TBH, I don't know much about either cars, so I'll take your word for it. However:

I don't know how you came to that conclusion. :confused: I don't even know the price of Z06, but if you are going to compare cars by the MSRP, isn't regular Corvette more comparable with the Skyline GT-R?
Not with that looming $90,000 price tag. I've yet seen any proof that is doesn't cost $90,000. But as far as I know, the 1999 Skyline R34 GTR costs $90,000.
 
JNasty4G63
I believe you mean DIMENSION, not demension. Though, after hearing most of your "arguments" I could go either way with this.

Dementia
1 - Deterioration of intellectual faculties, such as memory, concentration, and judgment, resulting from an organic disease or a disorder of the brain. It is sometimes accompanied by emotional disturbance and personality changes
2 - Madness; insanity.

I agree with eliseracer on this one. You bring up who knows how many cars in this thread, but then you say you aren't making this a "Vette vs. The World" thread. You aren't??? You've brought up cars from just about every major country in the auto-producing world. We all know the Vette is a decent performance machine. No one doubts that. But a thread about how its good and everything else isn't just makes no sense. Dementia

Hilg
Real funny... 👎

Let me clarify this then: I only added other cars to the comparisons to give dimension to my opinion. I did this to show that Vette's are vastly superior to Skylines on the track. I did as much as possible to show how much the Vette rocks and how much the Skyline lags.

And if you want to compare those cars that I listed in my very first post, than go ahead, do so... I'll gladly take those out as well. I didn't want it to come to this, but if you want to, than I'm game. :irked:

BTW, lets stray away from the childish dissing. You've made plenty of mistakes I could make light of, which is why its pointless to go down such a immature route.
 
FAOLIU05
I'm not forcing anyone to think anything. I'm wanting a good debate because apparently some people have a big issue with a Z06 being able to out-perform a Skyline on the track. I'm just trying to clarify. If someone has some cold hard proof that the Skyline R34 GTR can average up to be better than a Z06, post it up. I got flamed for basically saying that Z06's are better than GTR's. Show me I'm wrong, and I'll gladly shut up - because apparently nobody wants to argue about it.

Track wise, the Z06 is better, is it not?

You want a good debate?! It’s not debatable. Anybody who knows anything about cars can tell you that the Z06 is undoubtedly the faster car. Stock for stock – the Corvette is down right faster. Majority of the people know that – and for those who doesn’t – they aren’t that smart. There is only so much a Skyline GTR can do.

I never did say the GTR would beat the Z06 – because I know that’s a lie. In no way would the GTR outperform the Z06. Although it is quicker than the stats that you gave us, it’s still no where near the Z06. It would have been a better debate against a regular Corvette. Even though it’s still a no contest.

Track wise – Z06 is superior compared to the GTR.

The NSX-R vs. the Z06 would be a better comparison. Since the NSX-R is the fastest stock JDM car as of right now. The Nurburgring time shows it.
 
FAOLIU05
I'm just trying to clarify. If someone has some cold hard proof that the Skyline R34 GTR can average up to be better than a Z06, post it up.....Track wise, the Z06 is better, is it not?
Well, if you are talking stock-for-stock, then sure. A car with 400hp is always going to out-perform a car with 300ish. Especially when the GT-R is heavier. You seem to know the outcome already. Its simple math. If you want #s, you seem to have enough already. Did we need another thread so we all can do math??? That would be like me starting a thread about how the NSX is a much better performace machine than the RSX. We all know.

But, if you want to know which we prefer, thats a different story entirely.

Hilg
 
FAOLIU05
Not with that looming $90,000 price tag. I've yet seen any proof that is doesn't cost $90,000. But as far as I know, the 1999 Skyline R34 GTR costs $90,000.


In Australia a really good condition R34 GTR costs around $70000AUS, considering the Chrysler 300C goes for $75000AUS.

So in Australia its cheaper to buy a R34 GTR than a 300C.
 
FAOLIU05
Not with that looming $90,000 price tag. I've yet seen any proof that is doesn't cost $90,000. But as far as I know, the 1999 Skyline R34 GTR costs $90,000.

Just because it cost $90,000 to buy a GTR in the states doesn’t mean that is how much it really is. If you lived in Japan – I’m sure you’re able to get a GTR under 50 grand.

Have a more open mind - just because it cost 90K in your area - doesn't mean that's the price everywhere else. Most of the cost come from after importing it, conversion, and markup fees. Stuff like that.

EDIT:

Australia Dollars = 75,000.00 AUD
United States Dollars = 58,333.16 USD

1 AUD = 0.777775 USD 1 USD = 1.28572 AUD
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back