Coming to America: Starring the Toyota Aygo

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 45 comments
  • 6,146 views

YSSMAN

Super-Cool Since 2013
Premium
Messages
21,286
United States
GR-MI-USA
Messages
YSSMAN
Messages
YSSMAN
Thats right folks, if your Yaris wasn't small enough, here comes another micro-car!

LLN.com
With DaimlerChrysler's Smart ForTwo scheduled to go on sale in the United States in early 2008, Toyota is wasting no time in readying a micro-car of its own for America. Designed to compete directly with the ForTwo, the 2008 Toyota Aygo will be the Japanese automaker's smallest U.S. offering to date, reports Edmunds. The two-seater will get a fresh look for 2008, with slightly more power — roughly 100 horsepower — for North America. An official unveiling is said to be planned for the Tokyo Motor Show next fall.



..Cool!?

Hmmm, I makes you wonder that if and when Toyota gets into the game if this is indeed a good market for everyone to get into. I suspect that VW may then think about the "real" Fox comming to the US (reports have said that the Polo would come to the US as the "Fox")...
 
Cool....yes, but I would be scared to drive one with all the SUVs around.
 
Honda Fit, Toyota Aygo, Smart ForTwo, Mini Cooper, Nissan Versa. It looks like a resurgence in the hatchback market.
 
Honda Fit, Toyota Aygo, Smart ForTwo, Mini Cooper, Nissan Versa. It looks like a resurgence in the hatchback market.

THe VW GTI and Honda Si a represent the "resurgence in the hatchback market". The Versa & Aygo represent the resurgence of the long-dead "city car market", back from the days of the original CVCC.

But either way, if it helps make the commute easier, I'm all for it. As if I really needed another corporate exec in his Escalade ESV doing 65 in the passing lane....:mad:
 
Mmmm...FAygo.

Shouldn't Toyota wait and see how the Yaris does after the initial full year of sales? No micro-car has ever been a sales sucess in the US for more than a year or two.
 
I saw these cars all over Ireland, but the US is a different story.

Toyota is going to have to do some serious marketing in the larger cities to get a fan base.
 
Well I would be interested to see what kind of business model they have for a car like this in the US. Given that the Yaris three-door is allready one of the smallest and cheapest cars sold in North America, what is the reasoning for undercutting the Yaris other than to beat Smart to the punch with the ForTwo?
 
Well I would be interested to see what kind of business model they have for a car like this in the US. Given that the Yaris three-door is allready one of the smallest and cheapest cars sold in North America, what is the reasoning for undercutting the Yaris other than to beat Smart to the punch with the ForTwo?

I'm fairly sure that, in the US at least, they will want to take away from those novelty Smart sales in the first year of their introduction.

In Canada, we've already had the Smart for a while, and the Echo hatcback, plus the Yaris now, all of which sell/sold excellently. I think that these manufacturers took the Canadian "test market" a little too seriously. The US doesn't catch on to things the same way Canadians do.
 

:lol:

Pupik
Shouldn't Toyota wait and see how the Yaris does after the initial full year of sales? No micro-car has ever been a sales sucess in the US for more than a year or two.

Timing is everything. Thirty years ago, the rinky-dink little cars from Honda, Toyota, and VW were perfectly positioned in an energy-conscious US. It pretty much made their reputation through today. The virus of conspicuous consumption in the US today may well prohibit the success of the Aygo, Yaris, and Fit. They're cute, but 3 years too late. Gas prices in the last month alone have dropped 30¢, something that really doesn't help cars focused on economy. Where's the incentive to stop people from driving whatever they have now?

A company that really would have success is Renault. There, at least, is a company that can make city cars fun. The Clio has been pretty darn good for the last...um, umpteen years. Even Peugeot's 206/207 would be decent here. It would be perfect competition for the Mini, another successful sort-of city car.

Fun is something that the Fit and Yaris (and Toyota in general) are severly lacking in. Both the CVCC and Golf weren't that bad to drive back then. "Coma" comes to mind behind the wheel of the Yaris. :yuck:


Midnight Runner
Whenever I hear of Toyota Aygo,I immediatelly think of Yugo.
I don't know why.Yet.

You will...you will....
 
Looks like a Honda Jazz thrown in with a the new Hyundai Accent. Nevertheless, can't wait to see this thing hit the roads. It will no doubt look quite funny.
 
@ Harrytuttle: ^ Wa wa what?

The Fit is an amazing machine, the definition of "fun" in a small car. Although the regular model is indeed a bit "stale" by comparison to the slightly more expensive Sport version, but they are indeed far beyond the absolutely dead-in-the-water Yaris when it comes to "fun."

As for the Aygo, it apparently is "fun" in the sense that it is a capable city car that can move quickly enough to keep most people entertained. The American version, as I understand from reading other stories about the car, would baisically come in the form of a two-seater Yaris in terms of style and power... Even though it is still an Aygo... Odd...

But if Toyota is sticking their feet in, it is only a matter of time before everyone else does as well. Volkswagen could drag the "real" Fox here, as well as Ford (assuming if they "get smart") introduce the Ka here as well. Hell, maybe if FIAT gets serious about re-entering the US market, they could sell the Panda or the upcomming retro 500 here as well...
 
Aygo seems bit too small, even for my preference. They are cute little cars, however. I think they'll do OK.

The virus of conspicuous consumption in the US today may well prohibit the success of the Aygo, Yaris, and Fit. They're cute, but 3 years too late. Gas prices in the last month alone have dropped 30¢, something that really doesn't help cars focused on economy. Where's the incentive to stop people from driving whatever they have now?
As far as the Yaris and Fit go, it was already a success in my book.

Pupik also sounds worried about Toyota rushing with Aygo, but I'm not. After looking at their release of Scions and Yaris, I noticed that they don't go overboard with these compact cars. They set realistic goals, which is good for Toyota, bad for buyers(less availability, less leverage in price haggling!).

I concur Yaris and Fit did come late, but still in time IMO. They are still selling as well as any other hot selling cars today. Even if the gas prices came down to $2 a gallon today, I still can't imagine them sitting on the lot for too long. These cars main focus indeed are "economy", but I really believe that these compacts are not just the gas savers, but a new trend as well.

Ford (assuming if they "get smart")
:lol: They do have a new brain, you know. Let's hope they did get smarter(then again, you are GM-Man :D).
 
Now that you mention Scion (as I love to say, Sky-on! [Yes, I know it is pronounced as it is spelled]) that brings up an interesting side to this topic. With the Echo platform on it's last leg, replacing the xA and xB must be on the "to do" list with Toyota at the moment.

Thus, it makes me wonder if indeed the Aygo could be comming to the US to effectively replace the xA, or maybe to become a sub-xA model alltogether.

It certainly would fit better in Scion's current business model, offering entry-level cars to the younger folks at affordable prices... Not to say that it wouldn't work at Toyota, but they allready have the Yaris for that...
 
Either way, that little game of car-soccer looks like a blast. I want to try!
 
Hmm. Idea of Aygo becoming a Scion sounds intriguing to me.
 
Hmm. Idea of Aygo becoming a Scion sounds intriguing to me.
Good point, I've been told the xA and xB are slated for replacement for the 2008 model year; Scion cars are supposed to be replaced realtively quickly so as not to be unfashionable for its times, tarnishing the brand image to its target audience.
 
If the Aygo reaches you, you could get the Citroen C1 and Peugeot 107, then potentially, if it works out more from Peugeot and Citroen!
 
Good point, I've been told the xA and xB are slated for replacement for the 2008 model year; Scion cars are supposed to be replaced realtively quickly so as not to be unfashionable for its times, tarnishing the brand image to its target audience.

Which really don't buy them anyways. The only Scions I've heard of not being driven by 40+ year olds were tC's.
But anyways, I have to ask: Why bother? Honda has completely destroyed the Yaris in every category recently with the Fit. Unless this comes as a replacement for the Xa I see no point in it. Besides, this suffers from the disease that seems to be spreading through Toyota that is forcing them to make ass-ugly cars; and as such probably won't help sales much.
 

Which really don't buy them anyways. The only Scions I've heard of not being driven by 40+ year olds were tC's.
But anyways, I have to ask: Why bother? Honda has completely destroyed the Yaris in every category recently with the Fit. Unless this comes as a replacement for the Xa I see no point in it. Besides, this suffers from the disease that seems to be spreading through Toyota that is forcing them to make ass-ugly cars; and as such probably won't help sales much.
I also want Fit way more than a Yaris, but it seems that Yaris is selling very well around where I live. I believe that there is more than enough room for Fit and Yaris both to be hits.

You say "ass-ugly", I actually like the look of their current lineup a lot better. For example: I love the xB :O, Yaris look a lot better than Echo. Camry, which I declared as the ugliest car of 2006 actually looks very desirable in the flesh. I never got into the design of the Celica, but Scion tC, I don't mind being seen in one of those. I've liked the look of Corolla for a while now. Simple in a good way.
 
2 Clauses: Scions do not count :sly:, and I've seen the new Camry in the flesh and now I hate it even more.
 
2 Clauses: Scions do not count :sly:, and I've seen the new Camry in the flesh and now I hate it even more.
Dude, telling by the way they are selling, and from the people I know, this is probably the best looking Camry, yet. I do realize it's not saying much. :sly:

Scions are Toyota cars sold by Toyota Dealers, so I say they are in. :D
 
Do you guys in America get the '07 Avensis?


SAw one today, really looking cleaner and better then the previous one 👍
 
The only way we recieve the Avensis here in America is by way of the Scion tC, of which the two cars share a platform. Toyota's Passat compeditor here in the US is split between the Camry and the Solara, both of which are oversized and underdone sedans that only satisfy those with a tase of "nothingness" in their full-size cars.
 
@ Harrytuttle: ^ Wa wa what?

The Fit is an amazing machine, the definition of "fun" in a small car. Although the regular model is indeed a bit "stale" by comparison to the slightly more expensive Sport version, but they are indeed far beyond the absolutely dead-in-the-water Yaris when it comes to "fun."

These cars are dead boring compared to the Civics, Rabbits, & Corollas of old. Granted, these are all 25 years old (or more), but there's no comparison when it comes to joy behind the wheel. The new cars get pretty much the same mileage, same storage, and same performance as the old ones. The new ones hold up better in a crash, but that seems to be it.

The main problem is that you sit too high in the new cars. It's almost like a micro-SUV. It completely removes you from what's going on between the tires & the road, which was the main thrill of having a GTI Mk1.


a6m5
As far as the Yaris and Fit go, it was already a success in my book.

Which you define how? By sales or by how you view the car?
 
These cars are dead boring compared to the Civics, Rabbits, & Corollas of old. Granted, these are all 25 years old (or more), but there's no comparison when it comes to joy behind the wheel. The new cars get pretty much the same mileage, same storage, and same performance as the old ones. The new ones hold up better in a crash, but that seems to be it.
Well, that's not what I'm reading at all. Seems just about every test drive impression mentions how fun the Fit is to drive. And yes, it's nice to be able to drive a compact car that you can ride in, without thinking about the possibility of losing a leg on your ride in a case of an accident. :D

Which you define how? By sales or by how you view the car?
By sale. Corporations exist to make money, if they say otherwise, don't believe them. ;) I don't think they care so much about what a6m5 thinks of their cars(fools!).
 
These cars are dead boring compared to the Civics, Rabbits, & Corollas of old. Granted, these are all 25 years old (or more), but there's no comparison when it comes to joy behind the wheel. The new cars get pretty much the same mileage, same storage, and same performance as the old ones. The new ones hold up better in a crash, but that seems to be it.

The main problem is that you sit too high in the new cars. It's almost like a micro-SUV. It completely removes you from what's going on between the tires & the road, which was the main thrill of having a GTI Mk1.

I can certainly see where you are comming from, as you have a great point. The Rabbit will never live up to the legend of it's predecessor that shares the same name, that is indeed a certainty, but you have to give the current car some credit.

...As for the Fit versus the Civic, thats a bit tough. I generally consider the Fit to be the "true" Civic in the Honda lineup myself, more of a successor to the CRX of yore...
 
Back