Composer James Horner Dies In Aircraft Accident

• Thread starter Robin
  • 15 comments

Robin

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Telegraph
Oscar-winning composer James Horner has died after his plane crashed near Santa Barbara in California.

A single-engine plane has crashed near Quatal Canyon in Los Padres National Forest, Santa Barbara, killing the pilot.

The aircraft was registered to the James Horner, the Hollywood composer who won two Oscars for his work on the film Titanic.

The Santa Barbara County Fire Department, as well as air support, were reportedly sent to the scene after an emergency call at around 9.30am.

Horner, 61, composed the score for James Cameron's Titanic, including the theme song My Heart Will Go On, which was made famous by Celine Dion.

He also worked on such illustrious blockbusters as Braveheart and Apollo 13.

Wow, that is a terrible loss. His soundtracks will certainly be his legacy for many years to come.

His first movie soundtrack, Star Trek II The Wrath Of Khan 👍

Last edited:
"My Heart Will Go On"? Not the best choice in the circumstances. Probably on a par with "Leaving On A Jet Plane" for John Denver.
You are entitled to your opinion, think personally it is a good choice in the circumstances and your comparison seems like apples and oranges.

I was thinking where have I heard that name, then It hit me.

Titanic, Avatar, and a few other good movies.
He has made some bloody good soundtracks even in 2015 at his age.
He had huge talent.

I was thinking where have I heard that name, then It hit me.

Titanic, Avatar, and a few other good movies.
He has made some bloody good soundtracks even in 2015 at his age.
He had huge talent.
Indeed. Braveheart also had an awesome soundtrack.

...He did a few epic scores for Jim Cameron's films. Wouldn't say they were inseperable, but pretty close. Easily one of top five (in my opinion) composers in the modern era of film making.

He'll be missed, of course. Well, if it's any consolation, he left many amazing pieces of music behind to celebrate his life, so there's that.

Horner was absolutely standout among movie soundtracks. I can't tell you how many times I've listened to the Braveheart soundtrack. Maybe someone somewhere will say goodbye by playing outlawed tunes on outlawed pipes.

Sad to hear this news. He was a truly talented composer, and he will be sorely missed. I shall never forget when I first heard this, this memory will stick with me forever:

Sad to hear this news. He was a truly talented composer, and he will be sorely missed. I shall never forget when I first heard this, this memory will stick with me forever:

I can't tell you how many times I have listened to this song or watched this part of the movie just to hear it. That scene is by far my favorite Trek memory.

Man. Why didn't Horner just stay making Star Trek scores. :(

I can't tell you how many times I have listened to this song or watched this part of the movie just to hear it. That scene is by far my favorite Trek memory.

Man. Why didn't Horner just stay making Star Trek scores. :(

Because he got too famous :sly:

Wikipedia
Horner made a breakthrough in 1982, when he had the chance to score for Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, establishing himself as a mainstream composer. The film's director Nicholas Meyer famously quipped that Horner had been hired because the studio couldn't afford to use the first film's composer Jerry Goldsmith again, but by the time Meyer returned to the franchise with Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, the director found that he couldn't afford Horner either.

Back