Computer seems Slower than what it Should

• Thread starter chepu
  • 17 comments
chepu_VE
Hey guys, I need some advice about my PC.

I had a Core2Duo E6420 (Dual Core, 2.13 GHz 4MB Cache) Dell Dimension 9200 (2Gb DDR2 667 Ram) with a 320GB 7200RPM Samsung HDD

Now I Moved to a Custom Built PC, which has

Intel i7 860 (Quad Core, 2.8GHz 8MB Cache)
4GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws Ram (2x2Gb 1600Mhz)
500Gb 7200RPM Western Digital HDD.

Problem is, I dont know How much Faster should it be, and I know that I may be bottlenecked by the HDD, Must get an SSD as soon as possible.

Even though, I think there maybe something wrong with my pc because it doesnt seem as fast as it should, considering its a great jump from the old Dell.

Photoshop CS5 64 Bit, takes 4 Seconds to open, thats nice but when I do the retouchartists Speed test in Photoshop, it Takes 1m 40s, even theres a load window while applying the Gaussian Blur Filter, the alarming thing of all these is that I was reading the i7 860 Review at AnandTech and in the same test it did 16s only! Im not sure if it was Because the Test System had an SSD though.

But, thats not the only concern I have, when I open Opera 11.10 it takes like 10+sec to open the first time and while using it, it gets choppy at facebook and twitter also gets choppy.

I believe that must be Opera's bad optimization or something because In Firefox those sites work Ok.

I must reckon that games are faster in this new PC, it has the same GPU as the dell which is a GeForce 8800GT.

Also I tested the Processor with the Intel Test and it is OK, it passed the burn test and also the Prime95 Test, this leads me to think theres something about the Ram or is just that a 7200Rpm HDD is really bottlenecking it.

Also, when I installed windows 7 64bit, the bios was set as IDE but I changed it to ACPI due to me installing Snow Leo in another HDD.

So, case to the Point, I think My system isnt as fast as it should, So is there any Tool or way to test if its Really slow, its me just being picky or its being bottlenecked by the HDD.

That Test system is faster than your's because of the SSD so it should not be anything to worry about. I would run a full scan for regular viruses and malware before you even buy new hardware.

Well, there can be many problems. One can be that there is an unnecessary background program open. You also might want to think about over clocking something. Try finding an efficient anti-virus program. If you are going hardcore for speed, you might even want to switch to Ubuntu. There's a lot of things that can be done. You can use a system optimizer too.

That GPU will definitely be a bottleneck. I have the same GPU but with and old Q6600 which it works quite well with. Definitely go for a GPU upgrade.

That GPU will definitely be a bottleneck. I have the same GPU but with and old Q6600 which it works quite well with. Definitely go for a GPU upgrade.

Well, thats my concern, I can play games at High Settings at 1440x900 without AA or 2xAA.

Thats what makes me think somethings wrong, I can run games pretty good, but programs such as Adobe's CS5 and that leads me to think Im in the need of an SSD.

I want better Overall performance, not better Gaming Performance, and About the GPU im hoping to get an GTX 480, GTX 570, HD6950 or maybe wait till HD 7000 Series.

An SSD will do nothing about how fast filters and actions happen in Photoshop CS5. That is all about CPU and RAM, only thing the SSD would do is make it load faster.

An SSD will do nothing about how fast filters and actions happen in Photoshop CS5. That is all about CPU and RAM, only thing the SSD would do is make it load faster.

So, what id like to know then is, How fast should I expect my pc to be. I think im going to check the Ram with memtest, if everything's fine, I guess I'll Reinstall Windows.

If things keep like that then, Im Effed up :lol:

Even though, I dont think its slow per se, its just facebook/twitter/youtube that stutters a bit sometimes and I kinda know its not my pc because in OSX everything seems to run Perfect and fast 👍

I would run Avast to scan the entire system and run malwarebytes to scan for malware. I still think it's a likely chance you got something bogging your PC. I know you got good hardware so I don't think it's a problem with the hardware. I also use Defragglar and CCleaner.

I would run Avast to scan the entire system and run malwarebytes to scan for malware. I still think it's a likely chance you got something bogging your PC. I know you got good hardware so I don't think it's a problem with the hardware. I also use Defragglar and CCleaner.

Im going to Run Malwarebytes Just in case, because I dont like antivirus Software, and I believe thats the only one that works when you want it to 👍

When you updated did you do a fresh windows install?

Yep, Completely Fresh install, Just one thing is that I installed windows while the bios sata mode was in IDE and like 2 weeks after that I changed it to AHCI and didnt reinstall windows.

Also Im going to change the HDD from the Sata 6 GB/s to the Blue 3GB/s.

I made a Disk speed test And my system got a somewhat low score but also got a 122Mb/s Max read Speed.

So whats left to test is Memtest86+ to check the Ram.

Thanks for the advice, Really thanks a lot Guys! :)

Do you know if you have a Sandy Bridge CPU?
Also, a SSD won't make a difference to the performance of Opera or photoshop like Azuremen was saying.

No he does not. The CPU he has is the first generation i-series. He would have to change the motherboard from the 1156 socket to another motherboard with the 1155 socket to be able to use a Sandy Bridge CPU.

I don't use Photoshop so I'm not very familiar how it works. Does it use a lot of GPU along with the CPU? If so then the GPU is almost certainly the problem.

Do you know if you have a Sandy Bridge CPU?
Also, a SSD won't make a difference to the performance of Opera or photoshop like Azuremen was saying.

Nope, Lynnfield i7 860, LGA1156

No he does not. The CPU he has is the first generation i-series. He would have to change the motherboard from the 1156 socket to another motherboard with the 1155 socket to be able to use a Sandy Bridge CPU.

Exactly 👍

I don't use Photoshop so I'm not very familiar how it works. Does it use a lot of GPU along with the CPU? If so then the GPU is almost certainly the problem.

It can be GPU hard sometimes, but its something that an 8800GT can handle I believe.

Do you have like a million services/tasks running?

When I click the show all processes from all Users, I have 69 Contant processes, If I hide those "system" processes then I have around 29.

Also I have 71 Services running and I have a constant Usage of 1.1Gb of Ram Usage, also on the CPU it shows between 0 and 1% Usage and 2 or 3 Thread with Minimal Usage.

Also I did a scan with Malwarebytes anti Malware and everything was clean.

Any other Ideas? I havent run Memtest86+ Yet.

Im really grateful for the support y'all been giving me, Thanks a lot!

Check your power options in the control panel, perhaps a low-power setting affects performance. If you didn't feel or see any difference change it back to default, that's all I can come up with, unfortunately. :indiff:

Back