Could the License Test be Improved?

• Thread starter dabz343
  • 4 comments

dabz343

(Banned)
United States
United States
dabz343
Lately, I've been racing Sophy exclusively, and really enjoying how she is able to mimic human behavior. And it has led me to think, could Polyphony do a better job with the license tests? I'm fine with the current format of different cars/tracks/tires/conditions/etc., but if I am looking to improve my pace along with my overall Race IQ, then could the license tests be more diverse?

In motorsports coaching, a high "race IQ" refers to a driver's ability to make smart, strategic decisions during a race. Think of it as a blend of tactical awareness, quick thinking, and a deep understanding of the race dynamics. A driver with a high race IQ knows when to be aggressive, when to conserve resources, and how to navigate through different situations on the track.

It's like a chess game on wheels—anticipating moves, making the right calls on when to push or hold back, and adapting to changes in the race environment. A driver with a strong race IQ doesn't just focus on driving fast; they understand the entire race strategy, including pit stops, tire management, and how to outsmart competitors.

In essence, a high race IQ is about more than just speed; it's about being a smart and strategic racer who can read the race, make savvy decisions, and come out on top. It's the kind of racing intelligence that separates the best from the rest on the track.

• Strategic Decision-Making:
    • Makes well-calculated decisions during the race.
    • Knows when to push aggressively and when to conserve resources.
    • Adapts race strategy based on dynamic conditions.
  • Tactical Awareness:
    • Understands the broader race strategy.
    • Manages fuel consumption and tire wear effectively.
    • Anticipates and responds to competitors' moves.
  • Racecraft:
    • Demonstrates exceptional skill in wheel-to-wheel racing.
    • Executes overtaking maneuvers with precision.
    • Successfully defends positions against competitors.
  • Adaptability:
    • Thrives in changing and unpredictable race conditions.
    • Quickly adjusts to unexpected events or disruptions.
    • Maintains composure under pressure.
  • Technical Knowledge:
    • Possesses a deep understanding of the race car's technical aspects.
    • Optimizes car setup for different track conditions.
    • Communicates effectively with the engineering team.
  • Situational Awareness:
    • Keeps a keen eye on the entire race environment.
    • Recognizes opportunities and threats on the track.
    • Utilizes track position strategically.
  • Effective Communication:
    • Conveys critical information to the team and receives feedback.
    • Collaborates with engineers and pit crew for optimal race performance.
    • Acts on real-time information efficiently.
  • Pit Strategy Execution:
    • Executes pit stops with precision.
    • Makes informed decisions on when to pit for optimal results.
    • Maximizes pit strategy for overall race success.
  • Consistency in Performance:
    • Maintains high performance consistently throughout the race.
    • Minimizes errors and off-track incidents.
    • Manages physical and mental stamina effectively.
  • Analytical Thinking:
    • Analyzes race data and feedback for continuous improvement.
    • Identifies patterns and trends during the race.
    • Learns from past races to enhance future performance.

IMO this is what Circuit Experience should have been instead of yet another set of time trials.

All it really teaches you right now is how to abuse track limits and which corners you're allowed to cut.

Last edited:
I think the missions (in theory) try to teach us a lot of this stuff, as well as the circuit experiences. Might be good if instead of them being separate things they were all encompassed into the licenses, I dunno.

I think that this is one of the best potential uses of sophy. I’d love a set of ‘defensive challenges’. These could entail starting 1st and finishing no lower than 5th after 2 laps without contact in an under powered car, with less speed, downforce or wearing tyres for example.

This could form part of a license set that your must complete to participate in sport mode (and retake if your SR drops below C).

Could? Yes. Will it? probably not. PD has a thing for making something and getting it right the first time, if not, tough luck.

I honestly think Forza is more likely to implement this at this rate.

The only contrary is that GT5's special events exists. PD is too busy with the Esports side of things for GT7 to really thrive

Last edited:
Back