Danoff's SW Episode III Critique (spoilers)

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 25 comments

Danoff

Premium
United States
Mile High City
** Read on at your own risk, there are spoilers ahead. **

I recently watched Star Wars: Episode III for the first time. I understand that there have been several Episode III threads already created, but none seem to be dedicated critiques – which is what I want to concentrate on.

Let’s start with the good.

I liked the music in this film. I like the music in pretty much every star wars film, John Williams always does a fantastic job. He did an excellent job of blending previous themes from episodes 4, 5 and 6, especially toward the end of this movie where we get introduced to Luke and Leia. Similarly, I liked the darker versions of Luke’s theme used for Anakin. Good work JW.

I also liked the special effects. I thought that they leaped forward from Episode 2 and, while they may have been used a bit liberally, I thought they looked solid.

Additionally, I liked the use of symbolism both in speech and in scene framing. There are several points where we see Anakin’s wardrobe become darker even before he has turned. I also liked phrases like Obi’s “I have the higher ground” phrase, which can be taken literally and figuratively.

Palpatine (sp?) was also a strong character. I liked the acting on his part. I also enjoyed some of the motivation behind Anakin’s turning, since some of his reasoning was sound, even though his conclusion was incorrect. This played out especially well in the scene where Windu gets ‘offed as Anakin says “No, [palpatine] must stand trial” rather than be judged, convicted, and executed by Windu alone.

Now to the bad.

Missed opportunities, poor dialogue, poor acting, physical impossibilities, A.D.D. scenes and crutching on episodes 4, 5, and 6 plague this movie.

Let’s start with the physical impossibilities – which probably started with the original trilogy as our adventurers exit their spacecraft into space wearing nothing but gas masks. The problems continued as the pod races in Episode I consist of dragging a pod in the exhaust plume of two massive engines. Episode II used “seismic” charges in space to blow up asteroids (no sound in space people), and Episode III has lost all sense of gravity.

Early on the in the movie there is a battle going on above some planet or other. Ships are blowing each other up and spacecraft are flying all around with missile technology that even the empire in episodes 4-6 would have loved to get its hands on. Ships are idiotically pulling along side each other to blast big holes in their enemies like the wooden sailing ships from the days of pirates. Never mind that these ships would shoot at each other from long distances in space. And we’ll even over look the little robot that, after it gets crushed by Anakin’s spacecraft, gets swept off of the wing of Obi’s spacecraft by… well… wind?? Who knows. Maybe Obi hit the gas. Anyway all of that aside. Obi and Anakin show up on a ship that has its “stabilizers” knocked out by some enemy blast. The ship starts to tilt out of control – nose downward – and everyone falls toward the front of the ship.

Wait right there.

Why are they falling toward the front of the ship? The ship had artificial gravity before the “stabilizers” were knocked out. So why would they get pulled anywhere besides the normal into-the-floor direction. But let’s suppose the artificial gravity was knocked out… then everyone should float. The only possible reason for everyone to fall to the nose of the ship is if the artificial gravity as out and the reverse engines were firing.

Ok moving on.

Another physical impossibility is the robot general guy with the bad lungs. His character makes no sense whatsoever. Does he have real lungs? If so, why did he keep the crappy ones? If not, why is he coughing? And if he has living tissue, how is he able to go out into space and jump around when he does.

…seriously, this time I’m moving on.

One of the more fundamental problems with the movie is in the dialogue (and lack thereof). One of the best scenes in the movie is one in which Padmae and Anakin are looking out to the horizon to each other… no dialogue, and may have been the longest scene in the movie.

Anakin’s line, “You’re so beautiful because I’m in love with you.” Is crap. It isn’t as bad as Episode II where he explains to the queen that her skin is superior to sand, but it is bad. It’s the equivalent of watching two people rub noses… and who talks like that?? An example of how the lines go south occurs at another key moment in character development, as Padmae has it out with Anakin at the end of the film. “Anakin you’re going down a path I can’t follow. You’re breaking my heart.”

Ok (a) nobody says “you’re breaking my heart”. (b) It’s self-diagnostic. It assumes that the actor can’t pull off a line that someone with a breaking heart would say and convey the emotion – it attempts to remove acting from the film altogether by telling the audience what conclusions they should draw. The equivalent of that line would be Obi-Wan saying “Anakin, you’re making me feel betrayed.” Comeon! (c) She diagnosed herself incorrectly – he was going down a path she WOULDN’T follow, not COULDN’T.

Another problem with this film is the refusal to stick with a scene. Over and over we get scenes that last only 10’s of seconds. Obi-Wan falls of a cliff – cut - Yoda says “Prophecy could misread been have”- cut - ships flying by the camera – cut - Anakin walks into the room, turns on light saber – cut. It makes John Williams’ job seem all that more heroic, he had no continuity with which to compose.

Only the battle scenes last any length of time, and they have their own serious problems. But more on that later. First, let’s talk about characters and their development.

Yoda is a caricature of his former self. Every line now has to be out of order – rather than a few that make him quirky. Anakin is a caricature as well. Caricatures do not develop over time, they’re necessarily extreme, so they don’t transition. Anakin goes in one scene from wanting to arrest the emperor, to chopping off Windu’s hand “what have I done?” to being willing to perform the emperor’s every command. Shortly thereafter he is killing innocent children. Where is the transition?!? That’s a pretty big shift.

Transitions are what makes stories like this fantastic, the audience has to be drawn in to the dark side with him. He can’t just flip from one side to the other. The great thing about these kinds of stories is the internal struggle that the audience feels. Dracula, Phantom of the Opera, Day of the Jackal, Talented Mr. Ripley,… these are movies that drag the audience with the bad guy to a point where the audience really identifies and understand the tragedy involved in the transformation from good to bad. This movie has no transformation – so it’s difficult to find the tragedy. You’re left saying, “well that was just insane the way he decided to be the emperor’s b*ch, so I guess it’s his fault”.

Maybe you’re not with me at this point. Maybe you think I’m being picky, maybe not. But I’ve saved the best for last. There are two big, BIG, problems in this movie – areas where the movie tried hard to excel. Perhaps you don’t think Star Wars is about good dialogue (I would point you to Han’s lines), perhaps you don’t think Star Wars is about realism (I don’t think any movie TRIES not to make sense physically), perhaps you don’t think Star Wars is about character development (I would point you to Han and Leia in 4-6). But surely even the most avid star wars fans will understand my beef with the two (perhaps) most anticipated fight scenes in all of star wars. Yoda vs. the Emperor, and Anakin vs. Obi-Wan.

Let’s cover Anakin vs. Obi-Wan first.

Anakin is supposed to be better than Obi. We know that because Obi has said so (in this movie), and Anakin is the child prodigy – he’s the chosen one. So we know that the force is stronger with Anakin. That means right off the bat that Obi-Wan should be looking for a non-combat way to defeat Anakin. We should see Obi losing over and over and just barely getting away. Then, something has to happen to blindside Anakin, or Obi has to outsmart him… some sort of trick… something non-force related.

During the fight, Obi should say something about Padmae. “Anakin, is this what Padmae wants you to do?” or “Anakin, you were right, I totally nailed your girl.” That second one wouldn’t have been very Jedi-like, but he could have come up with something. Anakin’s response is to get seriously seriously ticked that Obi talks about his girl and rushes after him. Meanwhile Obi has a trap of some sort set up and blamo down goes Anakin.

That would have been much more in-theme than what actually happened, which was that Obi simply out-fights Anakin… it simply doesn’t make sense with the way they set it up.
There are other problems with that fight, like that Obi says that Anakin was like a brother to him. That’s no good because Obi is old enough to be Anakin’s father. He should say Anakin was like a son to him… but Ewen didn’t look old enough to pull that off.

More fundamental is the following – in the battle between good and evil, Jedi have to show peace and one-ness with their surroundings. They have to be clear of mind. Lucas kinda messed this up at the end of episode 6, but he saved it by having Luke refuse to finish off his father. The evil ones should be frustrated, angry, and emotional… this much was easy (but still not consistent enough for me).

Ok I’m really saying this to segue into the last bit of my little rant… Yoda vs. Palpatine.

First of all, ever since Episode 2 where we see Yoda do his Tasmanian devil fighting, they’ve gotten Yoda all wrong. Yoda is something like 750+ years old in this movie. He’s an old guy. He shouldn’t look or act much different then he did in 4-6, where he’s something like 800 years old.

Second of all, Yoda is the grand master Jedi BECAUSE of his age. He’s had time to feel the force and experiment. His extreme old age gives him an extreme level of wisdom, which allows him to be at peace – the perfect Jedi. Yoda is the Jedi’s Jedi. He’s the quintessential grand master... and he should act like it.

What’s the characteristic of young people who lack wisdom? Too much energy spent in inefficient ways right? Young people rush in without thinking things through. Young people are emotional and rely more on feelings than rationality. Yoda has to be the opposite of these things, and his fighting style should reflect that. Yoda’s fighting should be like a game of chess. Every move for a reason, every action getting him one step closer to his goal. Yoda’s movements should be confined only to the most necessary of movements - only where they will have the maximum of effect. Yoda is old, he can’t move like he once could, therefore he must compensate for quantity with quality.

That’s why Yoda has to move like the stereotypical 80 year old shaolin master of martial arts movies from 20 years ago. Yoda should sidestep, slowly and deliberately anything that comes at him. His movements should be fluid, making the fight look easy though we know his opponent is quite masterful. Yoda’s actions should be like the perfected GT hotlap – methodical and deliberate. Every move from the emperor should be masterfully (deliberately) countered by a peaceful serene-looking Yoda. He should exude at-one-ness at all times. The emperor should, on the otherhand, while maintaining confidence and skill, be frustrated and angry.

Up until this point in all 6 movies we have not seen the good Jedi do anything cooler than the emperor’s lighting hands. We really haven’t had a chance to see a masterful Jedi (other than Qui-gon in I and Yoda in II) at work. So when Yoda steps up to the plate, this is the opportunity to show us once and for all that the light side really is more powerful than the dark… that good can conquer evil and that Yoda has some nice tricks up his sleeve.

So here’s what should have happened in the Yoda vs. Emperor battle… Yoda wins. First and foremost that’s essential. Now, the emperor has to run off and survive of course, but Yoda has to make HIM run away, not the other way around. Here’s how it goes.

Yoda doesn’t smash the two guards against the wall when he enters Palpatine’s room to confront him (that was cool though). Instead, we see yoda walking down the hall into the room but before he gets there he waves his hand through the air and the two guards in the room run over to attack the emperor (Jedi mind control). The emperor is defended by the guards at his side. Then Yoda enters the room and waves his hand so that now all four guards turn on the emperor. He takes a few seconds to knock them out of the way while yoda walks across the room with his light saber out. The emperor busts his light saber out and then yoda uses the force to make his own saber spin through the air – a whirling blade of death right at the emperor. The whole time Yoda is standing there, eyes shut, one hand on the cane, one hand in the air in the direction of the light saber which keeps making spinning passes at the emperor who is really frustrated at this point.

The emperor notices that Yoda is standing on a bridge or platform of some sort (perhaps after they have all been lifted up out of the room into the main auditorium). After temporarily knocking Yoda’s saber away the emperor uses the force to knock the platform Yoda is standing on out from under him.

Oh no! But Yoda remains. He’s floating in midair now as calm and collected as ever – using the force to levitate himself.

The audience goes – “WOAH!!! HOW COOL IS THAT??! Yoda can levitate!!”

The Emperor, also being shocked, breaks off his attack and runs off to put some distance between him and Yoda – but not before throwing a few lighting bolts at Yoda who blocks them with his levitating saber.

Now I ask you, what chance would Yoda have had in any other movie (besides Episode II which needed changes as well) to bust out with some never-before-seen powers? He wouldn’t have? Luke was learning the basics, he wouldn’t have shown Luke the cool stuff right away. Obi-Wan wasn’t ready for the super advanced stuff either… and never learned since he ended up on Tatooine (sp?). So it was totally possible to do that – missed opportunity.

With the Emperor running off to regroup Yoda levitates back on to solid ground with his saber circling around him. He looks old and slow but relaxed as he steps back onto solid ground. All-in-all we only see him levitate for a few moments and he doesn’t move very far through the air, but it’s a taste that the light side is more powerful than the dark.

As the emperor finds objects to hurl at Yoda using the force and shoots lightning blots at him Yoda moves out of the way slowly… dodging each one. Moving sometimes even before the Emperor shoots – as though he knows where Palpatine is going to strike next and can preemptively dodge.

The audience gets the impression that Yoda will win eventually. Slowly and methodically he will wear down the emperor, but the emperor is too powerful for Yoda to simply do away with him quickly. It should appear as though the clash of the titans is defense-heavy… that the offense is simply chipping away slowly and that Yoda will win given enough time.

The Emperor, perhaps realizing this or perhaps simply frustrated and impatient seals a door as he runs away or gets in a spacecraft or something and just bolts basically. Yoda could still claim that he failed after the battle – but the audience knows the emperor was bested.

Before the movie is over, though, we need to see some enslaved people and some real oppression. It’s something that has been lacking since the beginning of this series and will give us a good understanding by the end of the movie that Anakin was not in-fact correct and benevolent. It will give us a good understand that the “thunderous applause” that brought in the empire was misguided – otherwise we think maybe everyone is happy. I was expecting some real oppression from this movie, something by which to hate the empire with a passion. It just wasn’t there.

^^ I wrote most of that off the top of my head. If I can come up with something that fits more in line with the Star Wars concept than Lucas even though I spent an hour and he spent decades on the concept – then I think I can call this a bad movie.

Think about some of the differences I’ve outlined.

- Yoda wins instead of losing
- Anakin is defeated by the mind rather than the force
- Yoda busts out some new powers
- Empire enslaves people

Those are pretty fundamental changes, and that’s what it would take to make the plot consistent with what has been written up until now. How it is that this movie… and all three of the prequels in general took as long as they did to make is beyond me. When you abuse your plot to make things easy or avoid coming up with something creative, it shouldn’t take you so long to make movies.

Ok that’s it for my rant. I’d like to get some feedback on my ideas for where the movie went wrong and where it should have gone.

Overall rating from me. 👎

Good call on the "physical impossibilities", but that aspect of the movie didin't bother me that much. I do agree with you on Yoda, however. Yoda and Anakin has been the most dissapointing parts of the Star Wars II and III. Personally, Christian Haydensen has been almost unwatchable. I would almost put him in the same class of actors as Ben Affleck. :yuck:

The people started falling towards the nose of the ship because it was starting to be pulled in by the gravity of Coruscant.

And in Return of the Jedi, Luke was NEVER a full-fledged Jedi. Yoda continuously said he was not ready, it was too soon, etc. Luke actually turns to the dark side momentarily when he strikes out in anger at Vader after Vader discovers the truth about Luke's sister Leia. But he pulls himself back.

It was always Vader who destroyed the Emperor on his own, and finally fulfilled the prophecy of bringing balance to the Force.

But great review. So long I can't respond to it all, though.

Of course Episode III was far from perfect. But it was so much better than either Episode I, II or even IV in my opinion that it seemed better than it actually was.

Well dan, it seems we can agree on anything as long as it has nothing to do with God. :)

I would've liked to see Yoda win. It was so boring because it seems that in ALL 6 SW movies, the light side wins by a hair, or some ridiculous forced based fortune. Well dang, what's the point? if the dark side is so bad, why is it that they are the ones that can own TWO jedi at once for free! (Darth Maul episode I) or cloud the vision of the Light side?

I feel whole heartedly that Yoda should've owned the emporer but not killed him and the ensuing clones would've forced Yoda to run away or something like Dan discribed.

The overall tone of the flick was good. But the details were really really messed up.

I'd put the movie in the "not that good but fun to watch" category.

I thought the space battle at the beginning of Episode III was the best of the entire 6-movie series. Granted, it was racked with technological mistakes, but so were all the others.

Anderton Prime
I thought the space battle at the beginning of Episode III was the best of the entire 6-movie series. Granted, it was racked with technological mistakes, but so were all the others.

I'll go along with that.

Anderton Prime
The people started falling towards the nose of the ship because it was starting to be pulled in by the gravity of Coruscant.
I wondered about that, but I wasn't about to put the DVD back in for a replay. :D

I wonder if you've seen the animated series "The Clone Wars"?

In that aminated series (endorsed and appreciated by Lucas) it really shows the skills of the Jedi.

Der Alta
I wonder if you've seen the animated series "The Clone Wars"?

In that aminated series (endorsed and appreciated by Lucas) it really shows the skills of the Jedi.

Amen to that! Episode 13 is without a doubt the BEST. Master Windu taking on an entire droid destroyer army, literally! I highly reccomend it. Even though the episodes are only a few minutes long.

Number III let me down in one big way: The struggle between the individual Jedi and the dark side wasn't amply shown. Each Jedi Master didn't even fight back, most of them were knocked off similar to the last three minutes of Godfather and Godfather II.

This battle was one of the main reasons for an Episode I, II, and III, because it was mentioned early in the original (IV). But instead, it was sort of glossed over because many of the Masters were just simply disposed of, without much of a fight. We never saw much of their individual powers, which was very disappointing as I'd been looking forward to that for some time.

However, hearing the eager silence of the audience -- at the very moment we all awaited Dark Vader's transformation -- his cloak, mask, and the trademark inhale/exhale...worth the price of admission! There's some things that work better on the big, public screen that don't translate perfectly in home theater.

Uhm, @Anderton... when the grav generator gets knocked out and the ship starts plummeting towards the planet, everyone should pretty much be in freefall... which would have been more interesting that having them crammed into the nose of the ship.

But then, who watches Star Wars for scientific accuracy anyway? :lol:

I agree with danoff... Anakin's transition from killing Windu to killing kids... KIDS HE KNOWS PERSONALLY was incongruously abrupt. Horribly abrupt, actually. The fight scene with Obi Wan was kind of uncharacteristic, but I think it was all right, considering Anakin is unbalanced, full of rage, guilt, doubt, etc. regarding Padme, and he's extremely cocky and overconfident at this point because he KNOWS he's better.

Every scene with both Anakin and Padme was unwatchable. The dialogue was crap, and every second she was on screen made me lose a little respect for Natalie Portman. I love her work, but she got the short end of the ventilator shaft in this movie.

danoff
So here’s what should have happened in the Yoda vs. Emperor battle… Yoda wins. First and foremost that’s essential. Now, the emperor has to run off and survive of course, but Yoda has to make HIM run away, not the other way around. Here’s how it goes.

Yoda doesn’t smash the two guards against the wall when he enters Palpatine’s room to confront him (that was cool though). Instead, we see yoda walking down the hall into the room but before he gets there he waves his hand through the air and the two guards in the room run over to attack the emperor (Jedi mind control). The emperor is defended by the guards at his side. Then Yoda enters the room and waves his hand so that now all four guards turn on the emperor. He takes a few seconds to knock them out of the way while yoda walks across the room with his light saber out. The emperor busts his light saber out and then yoda uses the force to make his own saber spin through the air – a whirling blade of death right at the emperor. The whole time Yoda is standing there, eyes shut, one hand on the cane, one hand in the air in the direction of the light saber which keeps making spinning passes at the emperor who is really frustrated at this point.

The emperor notices that Yoda is standing on a bridge or platform of some sort (perhaps after they have all been lifted up out of the room into the main auditorium). After temporarily knocking Yoda’s saber away the emperor uses the force to knock the platform Yoda is standing on out from under him.

Oh no! But Yoda remains. He’s floating in midair now as calm and collected as ever – using the force to levitate himself.

The audience goes – “WOAH!!! HOW COOL IS THAT??! Yoda can levitate!!”

The Emperor, also being shocked, breaks off his attack and runs off to put some distance between him and Yoda – but not before throwing a few lighting bolts at Yoda who blocks them with his levitating saber.

Now I ask you, what chance would Yoda have had in any other movie (besides Episode II which needed changes as well) to bust out with some never-before-seen powers? He wouldn’t have? Luke was learning the basics, he wouldn’t have shown Luke the cool stuff right away. Obi-Wan wasn’t ready for the super advanced stuff either… and never learned since he ended up on Tatooine (sp?). So it was totally possible to do that – missed opportunity.

With the Emperor running off to regroup Yoda levitates back on to solid ground with his saber circling around him. He looks old and slow but relaxed as he steps back onto solid ground. All-in-all we only see him levitate for a few moments and he doesn’t move very far through the air, but it’s a taste that the light side is more powerful than the dark.

As the emperor finds objects to hurl at Yoda using the force and shoots lightning blots at him Yoda moves out of the way slowly… dodging each one. Moving sometimes even before the Emperor shoots – as though he knows where Palpatine is going to strike next and can preemptively dodge.

The audience gets the impression that Yoda will win eventually. Slowly and methodically he will wear down the emperor, but the emperor is too powerful for Yoda to simply do away with him quickly. It should appear as though the clash of the titans is defense-heavy… that the offense is simply chipping away slowly and that Yoda will win given enough time.

The Emperor, perhaps realizing this or perhaps simply frustrated and impatient seals a door as he runs away or gets in a spacecraft or something and just bolts basically. Yoda could still claim that he failed after the battle – but the audience knows the emperor was bested.

That part is sheer brilliance. 👍 I really hated Yoda's fight scene in EpII, EpIII was more characteristic, but still not right. This would have been much better.

Regarding oppression. You don't get to create an empire by oppressing its people. You have to make them think they've got it good. The way they handled the geo...errh... astro-political side of this is okay. Not without its flaws, but okay.

niky
Uhm, @Anderton... when the grav generator gets knocked out and the ship starts plummeting towards the planet, everyone should pretty much be in freefall... which would have been more interesting that having them crammed into the nose of the ship.

👍

Regarding oppression. You don't get to create an empire by oppressing its people. You have to make them think they've got it good.

...at first. But the movie should have kept going so that we can hate the Empire. As it was the movie had everyone saying YAY! as the empire came about and then... end of movie. So as far as we're concerned the empire is cool. They should have fleshed that out a little more rather than relying on our hatred of the empire from 4-6.

Yeah, true. Actually, what they should have done with the movie is have most of the better Jedi (the ones who feature prominently in the Clone Wars cartoons) go into hiding...

At the end of the movie, Palpatine would tell Vader to hunt the rest of them down...

This would lead to another cartoon series, with Vader up against a different Jedi every episode, each one showing the increasing power of the Empire and its development as a totalitarian state.

Grievous's vital parts/organs for life support were crushed/seriously hindered by Windu before III takes place. Windu used the force to do so as grievous takes off in his ship during the Clone Wars prequels.

Grievous is a basically a justification for Anakin's operation; a full-cyborg.

Omnis
Grievous's vital parts/organs for life support were crushed/seriously hindered by Windu before III takes place. Windu used the force to do so as grievous takes off in his ship during the Clone Wars prequels.

Grievous is a basically a justification for Anakin's operation; a full-cyborg.

So then...

a) Why does he use his bad lungs? Why not replace them with cyborg lungs?
b) Why is he able to jump around in the vaccume of space and expose this living tissue to that environment?
c) Why does he have such an odd explosion later when Obi kills him?

His heart is bad, and I think he has artificial lungs. People with congestive heart failure pretty much have that same cough. Perhaps he had to keep his heart in order to maintain his humanity. I'm not sure how that works. There could've been a lot of things done with him, but, I just don't know why things were or were not done.

You could write to georce lucas or somthing, I'm sure. I'm also sure that there is must better explanation in the books.

edit: The fire could be from the fluids in his mech parts, or the fluids sustaining and/or preserving his organs.

I'm kind of disappointed with the movie as well, and I'm by no means defending its honor. Just trying to get to the bottom of Mr. Greivous.

Has anyone answered R2D2's sudden ability to fly in Episode 2 & 3? It seems that after 1 episode he just decides he can fly, flies around for 2 episodes, and then forgets for 3. Crap. I guess it's probably down to the same reason as Yoda's crazy fighting, it looks good.

I liked the film, although i appreciate all your points dan.

Honestly, I just think that the jump between episode II and III was too great. Looking at what's going on in the Senate/republic at the end of II then you go to three and there's been an incredible amount going on in the meantime and there's the grevious guy that didn't even exist in episode II.

Did anyone else notice how the Jedi went from a council of old guys in episode one to the dynamic generals in episode III? I know they are doing their duty. I just thinks it's a funny transition. They're sitting around gathering dust, and the next time we see them they're beating down on the droid armies. Well, I guess some of them saw a little action in episode II(specifically Windu and Yoda) But you see where I'm going...

But I will say one thing about Episode III. The lightsaber battles were what they have always needed to be. Gotta give them credit for that.

I was discussing (ranting about) Episode III last night with my wife and we came to the realization of another missed opportunity in the movie... the opportunity to have a secondary tragic theme (aside from Anakin). It also would have solved the crappy deaths that most of the Jedi got.

Instead of just shooting the Jedi in the back and making them look weak and pathetic, the Jedi should have been killed AFTER the empire came to power. What more gripping (and libertarian) a story can you have than the Jedi not being able to do anything as people voluntarily vote away their freedom. Episode III could have been a magnificent commentary on socialism as the majority votes away the rights of the minority. The Jedi would be helpless to defend against this. How can they stop people from voting for the emperor? What's more, they could even discuss how the rights of the minority were not protected under the articles on which the senate was based.

So the empire comes to power politically, rather than by force. The Jedi, not being very good politicians, allow it to happen. Then, we see the empire begin to turn quite evil, enslaving citizens etc using its newly bestowed power. Finally, the Jedi, who are in hiding after the empire has taken power, are each hunted down and killed by vader (and others) as niky described above.

Now that could have been a great movie. We can still have the Yoda vs. Emperor fight etc. But we also get the trajedy of people voting themselves into slavery, and we get the trajedy of each individual jedi killed.

That would've been a very powerful story. If done right, could have a turned Episode III into a classic.

Danoff, I've just taken the time to read that mammoth of a first post of yours, and what can I say other than it should've been you in the directing chair. I enjoyted episode III, but I still realised it was a missed oportunity, and pretty much everything you pointed out makes sense. Lucas seems to have decided to screw making it fit completely with what he did all thoes years ago with IV, V and VI, but for the sake of what, I don't really know.

live4speed
Danoff, I've just taken the time to read that mammoth of a first post of yours, and what can I say other than it should've been you in the directing chair.

:) Thanks for the kind words. I wish that I could have been... but mostly I'm frustrated at how little time it took to correct mistakes in the movie - considering how much time he took to make all three. One has to wonder whether he actually watched 4-6.

I think we all play armchair director every now and then. :D But I think danoff could have written a better script for this movie.

Lucas had to cut a ton of political footage with the formation of the rebellion.

It's unfortunate. I believe this could've been the stepping stone for a galactic political sub-plot.

Back