Dash Cams

1241Penguin

Diamond Member
Premium
Canada
Canada
Having watched many car accident videos on YouTube, I decided that it's best if I had a dash cam installed in my car. The main reason being that if I get into an accident which I didn't create, and the other party(s) don't admit to it (which is something that has happened within my family, twice), I can always use footage from the cam as evidence.

For example:

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/82281865/

The only problem is that I have no idea which cams I should get. Any recommendations?

PS: I did a search in the Cars in General and Computers and Technology forum, and couldn't find anything related, so apologies if this is a repeat.
PPS: I'm not sure whether this should go in the Cars in General or Computers and Technology forum, so please move if necessary.

I do feel that having a dashboard camera is really useful for such events like an accident. Especially watching some videos showing some people's attempts at insurance fraud.

Example:

I've had way too many close calls on the road that have made me wish that I had some sort of way to record such dangerous acts by other drivers that I've come across. Such as last week during that Spring snow storm when a driver of a Toyota Tundra ran a red light despite having plenty of room to hit the brakes and stop for it as I was turning. Nearly taking the front end off of my car...

Doesn't hurt to use google. ;) I did come across this website...
http://dashcamtalk.com/dash-cam-comparison/

Definitely considering getting one myself, there's so many things that people have done that have driven me to want to just record just how awful their acts of driving are. :mad:

The ITB100 HD is probably the best dashcam available at the moment.

Depends on what you want.

* Do you want to have a dashcam with a GPS receiver?

* Do you want a dashcam which records speed?

* What kind of resolution do you want?

* Do you want to have a little video screen?

* Do you want parking mode?

* With 1 or 2 lenses in the camera

* Do you want a 3-axis acceleration sensor?

Lot's of stuff to think about.

Last edited:
Like what I have in the OP? :sly:
Doesn't hurt to use google. ;) I did come across this website...
http://dashcamtalk.com/dash-cam-comparison/
I checked it out earlier, but I figured people who have experience with dash cams would be more credible.
The ITB100 HD is probably the best dashcam available at the moment.

Depends on what you want.

* Do you want to have a dashcam with a GPS receiver?

* Do you want a dashcam which records speed?
I'm not sure of the importance of these two things...
* What kind of resolution do you want?
720p or 1080p, I figure you might want to be able to see license plates.
* Do you want to have a little video screen?

* Do you want parking mode?

* With 1 or 2 lenses in the camera

* Do you want a 3-axis acceleration sensor?
Again not too sure of the importance of these things.

One thing I know I want is a multichannel camera, so one for the front, and one for the back.

Well, a GPS receiver records and shows your speed. If you have an accident and others say that you drove to fast, you can prove that it isn't true.

There are dashcams that have a little video screen on which you can see what you are recording in real time. I personally find this unecessary.

Parking mode:

When you park the car, you can put the camera in parking mode. This means that the camera is in stand by and if something happens to your car (another car runs into your car or somebody damage your car when parked) the camera starts to record and hopefully captures what happened.

The 3-axis acceleration mode is for recording automatically when you start to accelerate. You don't have to push the record button every time you start driving. This sensor is AFAIK also responsible for the parking mode thing.

2 cameras. One camera records everything that happens on the road and the other camera records everything that is happening inside the car (driver, passengers and other cars behind you).

With the IBT100 HD, you can buy a thing (can't remember the correct word) that is a fail safe so you will not depleat your car's battery if you hard wire the camera to your fuse box and put the camera in stand by (e.g. parking mode).

EDIT

720p or 1080p doesn't mean you can read the license plates. It's very important to know what the video quality is during the day and more importantly during the night.

Look at some youtube clips.

Last edited:
If you have a smartphone, then chances are you could use that.

I use my Galaxy S2, with Samsung car mount (which has a hole that the camera can see through.) You can also get black box apps that use GPS data to show where you are on a map, and the speed you were doing at the time.

daan is correct. There are apps that changes your smartphone into a dashcam.

It is also possible to use an action camera for this purpose. E.g. the AEE or the gopro.

If you have a smartphone, then chances are you could use that.

I use my Galaxy S2, with Samsung car mount (which has a hole that the camera can see through.) You can also get black box apps that use GPS data to show where you are on a map, and the speed you were doing at the time.

I use an S2 as well, running iOnRoad, which also allows video capture.

I do think that a real dashcam (black box thing) is better than an action camera or a smart phone, if you want to use it all the time.

But what if you have to use the phone

Use the phone while driving? Ermm...

As with most things, a device designed to do a specific job is usually better at said job than a device with extra software added to do a job that it was never designed to do (such as a smartphone with different apps).

But what if you have to use the phone or use it to play music.

Both of which are sorted by the app (as well as sat nav) which continues to run in the background.

I can have music streaming to my car via bluetooth, the phone rings and that gets transferred to the cars stereo via bluetooth, while using sat nav to find my way and it recording video in the background.

👍

Use the phone while driving? Ermm...

As with most things, a device designed to do a specific job is usually better at said job than a device with extra software added to do a job that it was never designed to do (such as a smartphone with different apps).

Actually reading what Scaff said ,I hardly see a reason for a dash cam now provided you have a car charger for your phone.
Both of which are sorted by the app (as well as sat nav) which continues to run in the background.

I can have music streaming to my car via bluetooth, the phone rings and that gets transferred to the cars stereo via bluetooth, while using sat nav to find my way and it recording video in the background.

👍

That is brilliant actually,pretty much eliminated the need for a dash cam.

kikie
How is the quality of the GPS on the latest models of smartphones?

On my S2 its as good as the GPS built into the car and a better at actually finding the right route.

Smartphone GPS is still in the 1+ Hz range... I've heard of 5 Hz, but haven't seen a unit like that yet. Not going to replace my V-Box, but it's more than enough to show spot and average speeds.

Never thought about using one as a dashcam... bought a cheapo dashcam on a lark, and have a GoPro Hero3. One is too low-res for license plates, the other is a battery hog. Perhaps when the wife retires the Galaxy, I'll wire it up to the car...

The Blackvue has always been a bad choice. Reading about the DR500GW, this could be a very good competitor for the IBT 100HD and there is a UK site which sells the blackvue.
The IBT100 HD was only available on amazon etc... .

I forgot to mention that there is a G-sensor (gravitiy sensor) in the IBT100 HD and the Blackvue as well which records and saves the video on the SD card when your in an accident.

Last edited:
Most good ones will have GPS and G-Sensors.
All will save to SD cards.

I've heard of 5 Hz, but haven't seen a unit like that yet.

Roadhawk HD has 5hz GPS update rate

I hardly see a reason for a dash cam now.

How about that you can only record upto 4GB of video on the card and that the app has to start recording as soon as the limit is reached.

Use your phone when driving with blue tooth or use the GPS on it.

The lack of needing to mount it each time.

The round circle that forms when using suction caps.

Last edited:
That video example was terrible, I hate outside lane hoggers :mad:

Back on topic then :)

Oh, was talking about Smartphones. Most smartphones have very slow GPS updating.

As it is not needed on phones.

3Hz was the norm on dashcams and still maybe on some lower end models.

I've had a dashcam for 5-6 years now (time to upgrade I guess since mine started eating SD cards), and recorded virtually nothing of note other than me lapping some tracks+several autox runs, and some random tech-people chat at the dealership ;)

I could see it being more useful in a larger city though.

But before you put it on in North America - check your local laws. Some places might require some notice on the outside or the car or whatnot, and be extracareful around police.

That said, dashcam is way better than blackbox apps. I tried those with my S3 and it's a hassle and video quality is so-so.

I'd get a 1080p one, perhaps with some led lighting for low-visibility environment. I'm probably also gonna look for those that record front and something like a fish-eye looking back, so that it would pick-up whatever is going on in the cabin + behind the car. Parking monitor is nice, but watch your battery. G-sensor is okay too, but it has to be disableable and customizable. The one I have right now is downright annoying. Even at the lowest sensitivity is marks way too many files as 'read only' due to some g-sensor event and quickly fills up the whole card with those, forcing me to format the card manually since otherwise it would stop recording.

Found this thread through the wonders of the search tool.

After a long time considering it I think I'm finally going to take the plunge and get one. I've tried using my phone but find it eats battery and I don't want to leave an obvious phone holder permanently in my car.

I've looked at a lot of generic cameras that largely flood out of China, as well as the road hawk and several other brands.

I think tomorrow I'll be purchasing an iPixi V300HD w/ GPS.
http://www.ipixi.com/cameras/

Any thoughts?

I ride a motorcycle and always have a GoPro rolling, sometimes two. Being young we sometimes get blamed because of our inexperience and motorcycles in general get blamed for high rate of speed. Now I can always argue with proof.

A GoPro has severely limited run time. About ten minutes a pop.

Great for action shots. Not great for taking a whole trip. Not unless you have it on time lapse.

Ten minutes? I took a ten minute video on my GoPro 3 Silver and there wasn't even a bar gone on the battery meter.

I use it + a USB 12V lighter plug and a longer cable as a dash cam. It doesn't have rollover but my trips are much shorter than the 4-5 hours of 1080p video available and I put all my videos straight onto my computer when I get home anyway; backed up on two external hard drives as well.

Latest Posts

Back