Dead Thunderfly (Thrip) inside Laptop Screen

• Thread starter Techy
  • 14 comments
United States
Florida
gtamann123
I have one of those laptops that has a badly-sealed screen and a certain, specific insect was able to infiltrate it. Now I have a Thunderfly crawling under the screen before I finally pressed the screen, which killed it. Now the dead bug stays at one spot, doing absolutely nothing, while its death wish is to annoy me while I'm busy on my laptop. The sneaky, little bug got noticeable yesterday, before I finally squished it when I closed the laptop. At first, I thought it was just a speck of dirt or stain on my screen before seeing it was moving, and then realizing it was inside the screen when I tried to smooth it off. So my question here is how to remove it? I would imagine it would take a professional to remove a bug this small and tiny to keep a normal workflow. Or do I just keep it there as a little companion for the rest of the laptop's service life?

Also for reference, I have the model HP Pavilion g7-1075dx notebook.

Last edited:
First, what's a thunder fly?
EDIT: I found this when I googled HP Pavilion notebook
compaq-hp-pavilion-laptop-parts-exploded-numbered-cmp.jpg

rocko100
First, what's a thunder fly?

Lol same question and I'm sure there are a couple little screws u can remove than gently take off the screen but remember wires are contacted to it and just flick it off and put back screws

It's a thrip, or Thunderfly for its nickname. It's insanely small and tiny, like a grain of sand, so it isn't really noticeable.

Oh I saw those before, I kind of expected a Thunder Fly to be, I dunno bigger?
Look at this.
Also for those to lazy to click the link:
thrip.jpg

Well, why did you kill it? Should've let it alive and maybe it would have crawled out again. There's not a lot you can do now except for taking your laptop apart, which is not an easy task for a non-professional.

Well, why did you kill it? Should've let it alive and maybe it would have crawled out again. There's not a lot you can do now except for taking your laptop apart, which is not an easy task for a non-professional.

Flies are too dumb to crawl back out again. It's quite common for thrips to get stuck in TFT screens (an internet search reveals loads of instances):

littlebastard.jpg

They just get in there and eventually die of their own accord anyway.

Very little you can do to get them out without taking the screen to bits.

Mines is very, very tiny. As I said before, it's like the size of a grain of sand. It's like twice or three times smaller as the picture above, five times maybe. And me killing it wasn't deliberate. I thought it was a speck of stain and tried brushing it off, which died that way. I can try to take a picture if you like.

Next time you have one of those in the screen, just turn the laptop off and leave the screen in the up position. Then have a bright lamp near the vents as the thunderfly seems to be attracted by light and heat as well. It should, after some time, gravitate towards the light/heat and fly off....

I've had it happen with my monitor before as its normally occurs when the monitor has been on for some time and the thunderfly seems to go: "Oooooh, BRIGHT SHINY THING!!!" and crawl gods-knows-where and get inside it.

Never press the screen on it as you'll get a dead companion.

Latest Posts

Back