DFGT Thrustmaster pedal mod !

Netherlands
Utrecht
YukinoSuzuka
I can hear you thinking... DFGT Thrustmaster, she's drinking to much :boggled:

I didn't ! Two weeks ago I bought a second hand Thrustmaster Ferarri GT experience set. I like the DFGT steering wheel very much, with the GranTurgismo paddles added, but everybody knows the pedals from the DFGT are rubbish. Braking without ABS is impossible and there's just no feeling. Even the throttle is a little bit to weak.

That's why I bought this cheap 2hand set and was thinking: The wiring could be different for the Thrustmaster, but the hardware must be almost the same as the DFGT pedals. So I only have to swap the wiring, weld it the right way and I have a very unique DFGT Thrustmaster !

DFGTThrustmaster.jpg

Did my first race yesterday and was pleased, straight away the right settings and no significant dead points. The first touch on the pedals is enough for some throttle/braking power. This afternoon I will make some photo's. The feeling in the brake pedal is much smoother and braking without ABS might be possible. Need some practise there :scared:

Nice mod.
For a better feeling in the DFGT brake pedal you can use the foam golf ball mod, it gives a more progressive feeling and allows more pressure on the pedal:

I've tried that, even with 2 squashballs, but the tention you have is not smooth and sometimes you need to replace the ball because it's moving and also the balls won't life long this new life they got. When they crack the lack of feeling is back to back.

The feeling in the Thrustmaster pedals is smooth, solid and no need for ‘supports'. Because the tention is bigger, I think I have to look for some racingshoes. :sly:

So I only have to swap the wiring, weld it the right way and I have a very unique DFGT Thrustmaster !

Good job! So are you saying you didn't even have to open the casing? you just cut the DFGT pedal cable and soldered it to the TM pedal wires in the appropriate order?

No, I opened the casing and changed the complete wire, just like the image in my first post. It is possible to do it without opening, because it's a puzzle to close it again AND the cogwheels on the cervo's are a little bit too loose. Not easy to set them back on their original position, because the 0-position of the pedals is different when you have it opened it up and when it's closed again.

Still no time to make better pictures of it :(

This is the photo I got from TM :
3-1exp_pedals1.jpg

I shall work it out which function the colored wires had... stay tuned :cool:

Oh and an other mention, the tention on the TM pedals are the same. When you switch the brake and the throtlle pedal, you can reverse this pedals for sure.

The TM pedals have a hardmount option (2 x M6) so maybe I will change this also in a couple of months.

Hey there :) I think I might like to try this as I've had 4 DFGT's now due to pedal failures and my current 4th set is on the way out - pedal flickering etc. I've seen a Ferrari GT Experience wheel and pedal set for cheap and would like to invest in order to try this swap, but I don't really have a clue how to swap the wiring around etc.
Could you post a little guide to help me out please?

Many thanks :cheers:

Oh yes I want to do that !

Question for you, would you like to make pictures of every step ? I forgot to do this, it would help many others :)

It's not that hard to do it. What you need :

- 1 small screwdriver, cross
- 1 wire stripper
- hot glue gun or industrial tape
- soldering iron (don't know if I translated this correctly ?) Something like this + soldering stuff to solder :sly:
electrische-soldeerbout-100.jpg

Like the first post in this thread, I posted a drawing of what you will find in your DFGT and TM pedals...

DFGTThrustmaster.jpg

What To Do :

1 : Just cut the wire from the DFGT pedals, as long as you can keep the wire... You will see 4 wires, Red, White, Black and Green !

2 : Open up the TM pedalset. Warning, there is tention on the backplate, just like the dfgt has, nothing would fall apart, but I had 2 screws that where launched because of this same tention and was busy for a couple of minutes to find them again !

3 : When you openend up the TM pedalset, you see 2 small cervo's, smaller then the DFGT has, but the working is just the same. Please make photo's from the original wiring for this topic, so other people in the future can just cut the wire outside the pedal set and reconnecting the wires to the Serial plug.

4 : Before soldering, mark your pedals to be sure which wires you solder to the pedal you want !!

5 : Cut the wires from the cervo's and remove all the old glue spots.

6 : Now you can start rewiring the pedals for your DFGT !

- Let's start with the red wire. Make a second red wire so you connect the cable from your DFGT steering wheel to the throttle pedal and the second wires has to go to the brake pedal (later).

solder the 2 red wires directly to the lowest of the 3 points of the cervo's. I used a small kitchenknife in case the solder would connect with the other points on the cervo.

- Second the white wire. Nothing special, just solder it to the middle point on the cervo of your throttle.

- Third, just like the red wire, make a second black wire and connect them both to the upper solder point of the cervo.

- Now you've a black, red and green whire for your brake pedal. The red and black wire are inverted from the throttle-pedal, so first you need to solder the black wire >green > red.

7 : Before you reinstall the backplate and connect the pedals with your DFGT steering wheel, be sure you have the right 'setting' for the cogwheels on your cervo's. It's a little bit clumsy to set them rigid and on the right 0-setting, because the zero-position of the pedal is also under tention of the springs, so you need the Logitech software to set the pedals in the right position !

http://www.logitech.com/nl-nl/support/driving-force-gt?crid=411&osid=14&bit=64

8 : Reinstall the backplate ! Easy to say, not easy to do it in 1 person.

9 : Once installed, enjoy your DFGT Thrustmaster set ;)

Last edited:
Hey there :) I think I might like to try this as I've had 4 DFGT's now due to pedal failures and my current 4th set is on the way out - pedal flickering etc. I've seen a Ferrari GT Experience wheel and pedal set for cheap and would like to invest in order to try this swap, but I don't really have a clue how to swap the wiring around etc.
Could you post a little guide to help me out please?

Many thanks :cheers:

And ? Already busy with the pedal swap ? :)

Last week I did some practise for the race today on Bathurst. Sadly my Granturgismo paddle shifters came off today. Bummer.

And ? Already busy with the pedal swap ? :)

Last week I did some practise for the race today on Bathurst. Sadly my Granturgismo paddle shifters came off today. Bummer.

Well no, not exactly. You see, I was bidding on a bargain Ferarri GT wheel and expected to win the auction but as always with those things, someone else was also sat at their computer at the last moment and outbid me :( So I don't have the pedals...

However, I've bought a G27 recently, and when it arrives, I plan to do a pedalswap with those. I'd really like to have the G27 pedals on my DFGT but I know it's not as simple as just plugging them in as they are, some modifications have to be made, and I've found a vid on youtube from a guy who has the exact setup I want, which explains the quite simple looking process.

But thanks for the guide nevertheless, hopefully it will help others :)

Sorry to hear about your GranTurgismo paddles btw.

Thanks for the guide Yukino! Great work. If I ever buy a TX wheel I'll be sure to try this and use its pedals with my DFGT which I plan to keep as a backup as I have better pedals on my PC setup.

I still can't help but wonder if there's an easier way to accomplish this... couldn't one just simply cut the pedal cable for both the DFGT and TM, check them all with a multimeter while depressing the pedals so as to find out how to solder the wires from the TM pedals to the DB9 connector cable of the DFGT? You wouldn't have to open either pedal casing if going this way.

This is a great mod because the cheap Thrustmaster wheels have no force feedback and rely on rubber bands. After a while one of the rubber bands snaps and also the paddles fail - so there should be plenty of broken Thrustmaster wheels around - provided they haven't been thrown away already - there should be a fairly plentiful supply of Thrustmaster pedals going very cheap.

Thanks for the guide Yukino! Great work. If I ever buy a TX wheel I'll be sure to try this and use its pedals with my DFGT which I plan to keep as a backup as I have better pedals on my PC setup.

I still can't help but wonder if there's an easier way to accomplish this... couldn't one just simply cut the pedal cable for both the DFGT and TM, check them all with a multimeter while depressing the pedals so as to find out how to solder the wires from the TM pedals to the DB9 connector cable of the DFGT? You wouldn't have to open either pedal casing if going this way.

I am a great noob about electronics. I don't understand it that much to check the wires and 'copy' that to the db9 connector (now I know the name of this plug). I t was for me just enough to understand what the cervo's are doing and then copy the wiring from them. My solder skills are rubbish too. I tried last week to make a connector in/outside the pedal-box with this kind of 'conncetor' but it so small to solder, I already ruïned 2 connectors and two plugs of these kind of things..

din_4_270.jpg

Hah, I'm not very good at it yet so I understand what you mean. I did make my own button box with great success, but I managed to ruin three push buttons... soldering iron was so hot that it melted the plastic housing the connectors rendering them useless. :)

If I ever get around to it I'll be sure to update this topic with my findings.

Hah, I'm not very good at it yet so I understand what you mean. I did make my own button box with great success, but I managed to ruin three push buttons... soldering iron was so hot that it melted the plastic housing the connectors rendering them useless. :)

If I ever get around to it I'll be sure to update this topic with my findings.

That would be perfect !! Feel so dumb I forgot to make pictures from my pedal-swap :indiff:

I can hear you thinking... DFGT Thrustmaster, she's drinking to much :boggled:

I didn't ! Two weeks ago I bought a second hand Thrustmaster Ferarri GT experience set. I like the DFGT steering wheel very much, with the GranTurgismo paddles added, but everybody knows the pedals from the DFGT are rubbish. Braking without ABS is impossible and there's just no feeling. Even the throttle is a little bit to weak.

That's why I bought this cheap 2hand set and was thinking: The wiring could be different for the Thrustmaster, but the hardware must be almost the same as the DFGT pedals. So I only have to swap the wiring, weld it the right way and I have a very unique DFGT Thrustmaster !

DFGTThrustmaster.jpg

Did my first race yesterday and was pleased, straight away the right settings and no significant dead points. The first touch on the pedals is enough for some throttle/braking power. This afternoon I will make some photo's. The feeling in the brake pedal is much smoother and braking without ABS might be possible. Need some practise there :scared:

Thx YukinoSuzuka, so glad I came across this thread. My DFGT has had an intermittent flickering brake problem for ages. I've been thinking of upgrading to better pedals for a while. Then I saw this. Guess what I've had sitting at the bottom of a cupboard for 4 years..? A TM Ferrari GT Experience set which I bought new and used for exactly one week before deciding it was crap and buying the DFGT.

One question: I don't want to cut my the Logitech connector off the pedals if at all possible. Do you know if it's possible to get hold of another connector to wire onto the TM pedals? I'm assuming it's not a 'standard' connector I can buy in an electrical store?

RTR
Thx YukinoSuzuka, so glad I came across this thread. My DFGT has had an intermittent flickering brake problem for ages. I've been thinking of upgrading to better pedals for a while. Then I saw this. Guess what I've had sitting at the bottom of a cupboard for 4 years..? A TM Ferrari GT Experience set which I bought new and used for exactly one week before deciding it was crap and buying the DFGT.

One question: I don't want to cut my the Logitech connector off the pedals if at all possible. Do you know if it's possible to get hold of another connector to wire onto the TM pedals? I'm assuming it's not a 'standard' connector I can buy in an electrical store?

Just buy a serial (DB9) extension cable and you should be all set. You'll only need to cut the extension cable and figure out what each wire does.

Just buy a serial (DB9) extension cable and you should be all set. You'll only need to cut the extension cable and figure out what each wire does.

Thx Coxis, I did think of that, but pins 1 and 5 are missing - which isn't really a problem on the male connector, but there are no holes in the female port. Am I correct in thinking I can get a male connector without pins 1 and 5?

RTR
Thx Coxis, I did think of that, but pins 1 and 5 are missing - which isn't really a problem on the male connector, but there are no holes in the female port. Am I correct in thinking I can get a male connector without pins 1 and 5?
You're right that it's missing two pins -- there are two work arounds. There have been people that drill two tiny holes directly on the DFGT pedal connector and there's the alternative of breaking the two extra pins which might be a little difficult. You can't buy an extension with those two particular pins missing, so you'll have to take care of it yourself. :)

You're right that it's missing two pins -- there are two work arounds. There have been people that drill two tiny holes directly on the DFGT pedal connector and there's the alternative of breaking the two extra pins which might be a little difficult. You can't buy an extension with those two particular pins missing, so you'll have to take care of it yourself. :)

Soldering. Drilling. Not really my forte tbh! I'll have to ask a friend to do it for me. Thx

Or buy a broken DFGT set? Maybe the same price as a serial (D90) connector ? ;)

Edit : As far as I know the customer service of Logitech is very very good, anywhere in the world. Maybe, if you ask it friendly for a broken set (they will receive many of them), you could be a lucky guy. Just talk about a hobby-project or something. It's worth it to try this.

Last edited:
RTR
Soldering. Drilling. Not really my forte tbh! I'll have to ask a friend to do it for me. Thx

You know, with a lot of spare Thrustmaster TX pedals floating around out there unused, maybe I need to create an adapter that would make them simply "plug-and-play" compatible with the DFGT without any need to cut wires or do any soldering.

Anybody interested in beta testing if I did something like this?

You know, with a lot of spare Thrustmaster TX pedals floating around out there unused, maybe I need to create an adapter that would make them simply "plug-and-play" compatible with the DFGT without any need to cut wires or do any soldering.

It would be great to have a plug and play adapter so if you decide to do it count me in. I will start the hunt for the Thrustmaster TX pedals today.
I would also be happy if someone could let us know the color coding of the Thrustmaster to Logitech wires so we could do an inline splice of the existing wires without having to open the pedal cases.

Would be a great job for others. For me it's too late :irked: :P

Just scanning around for a way to make the thrust master T500RS pedal set work with the Driving Force wheel. Bought a TM wheel set but the wheel died after 3 hours of use... brand spankin new in the box set. SMH.. so I am an electronics guy and I could take time to figure it out.. just thought someone might have already cracked the nut. basically it is an RJ11 connector to a DB9. Usually you can get a DB9 from radio shack that you can re-pin to whatever you need. They have them with RJ connectors on the other end as well so as far as plug and play it would work.. just need the pinouts for both in order to make it work. If you have time to test the pinouts and let me know I can get the connector and repin it an post it up here. This would be my best case fix until my damn wheel gets taken care of. Thanks.

I'm getting ready to attempt this modification. I might see if the adapter is a better idea.

First off I plan to explain better the wiring of both wheels before I cut ANY wires so I can get actual pin/wire relationship. I also plan to add pictures to help.

My main intention is to see if this really is possible and to help anyone who is looking for a proper modification. I was unable to find much through google.

I'll update soon if I 🤬 up 2 sets of pedals or It works. Pictures regardless of outcome.

Either I'm dumb or I'm lost. I don't know if the pedals in Europe/UK are different but when I open both pedals it seems everything contradicts itself.

DFGT.jpeg
This is how the DFGT wiring looks open, face-down on a table. I labeled the gas for help.
The wires respectively.

--gas---------brake
--------------------
red-red-------black
white---------green
black-black------red
Thrustmaster.jpeg
This is how the Thrustmaster wiring looks open, face-up on a table. I labeled the gas for help.

The wires respectively.

--brake----------gas--
red--------------red/yellow
blue-------------green
black------------black/white
DFGT Wiring diagram.jpeg
This is a wiring diagram I found. Thanks to RufasDufas at xsim... That shows how the wiring looks in my picture above.

It would be very convenient if Thrustmaster could have used the tiny slide on connectors Logitech used to make the swap easier. But that would be too much like right.

I'm going to jump on a limb and see what happens, but I would love for someone with controller wiring knowalge to tell me if I'm right. I read, if I get the 5V and GRD backwards the pedals will do the opposite of what you want, ie. no throllte is full throttle. I'd just like some advice before I put it back togeather. I'll be watching this thread in hopes of quick help while I begin.

Last edited:
Which parts are you confused by? There's two points I can throw out there in case they help...

1. DFGT's pots are facing in different directions, so as pedals are pressed one goes clockwise and the other anti-clockwise. If you imagine them facing them same way, the wiring makes more sense; reds and blacks are actually at the same ends.

2. Not sure for the DFGT or the 2-pedal TM specifically, but for G29 as you press the pedal the output moves towards 0V. For T300 it's the opposite, a more pressed pedal outputs a higher voltage. This means you might have to swap 5V and GRD, so red wires go where black wires were and vice-versa.

Or something else?

What are you using for the cable? The one from the DFGT or a chopped extension cable?

Personally I'd build an adapter, or failing that cut the RJ plug off and solder a DB9 in its place. Swapping the cable is fine too, but as you say, they don't make it easy with one using tags and the other solder!

Back