Differences between US Spec and EU spec cars?

United Kingdom
Bristol UK
GTP_Chris
Hey everyone,

i'm importing a '08 Nissan Altima 3.5SE into Europe (Austria to be exact) and until the ship arrives here i've been running around trying to get all the papers done so i could register my new car here.

The biggest problem i'm currently facing is that there is no existing data sheet for a Nissan Altima 3.5SE in Europe, since that car doesn't exist here at all and no one ever has imported one before.

The whole conversion would cost me nearly 5000€ ~ 7000$ !!

The people told me that one of the main problems is that the headlights used in US Spec cars have different mirrors in them, making them not compatible with EU standards.

I searched the net, but couldnt quit come up with a proper list of differences between US and EU Spec cars.

Does anyone have a detailed list?

Thanks

Chris:tup:

Hey everyone,

i'm importing a '08 Nissan Altima 3.5SE into Europe (Austria to be exact) and until the ship arrives here i've been running around trying to get all the papers done so i could register my new car here.

The biggest problem i'm currently facing is that there is no existing data sheet for a Nissan Altima 3.5SE in Europe, since that car doesn't exist here at all and no one ever has imported one before.

The whole conversion would cost me nearly 5000€ ~ 7000$ !!

The people told me that one of the main problems is that the headlights used in US Spec cars have different mirrors in them, making them not compatible with EU standards.

I searched the net, but couldnt quit come up with a proper list of differences between US and EU Spec cars.

Does anyone have a detailed list?

Thanks

Chris:tup:

No - because there isn't one.

Typically, where a car exists in both markets, the US spec car tends to be slightly heavier, slightly softer sprung and can, on occasion, have different bumpers in order to pass the differing crash tests (which are a legal requirement in the US, from what I recall, but not in Europe - merely marketing over here). But that's not always the case, by a long way, and nor is there any reason at all that a car can't be identical between the US and Europe.

I doubt "no-one has ever imported one before" - and I also doubt there's any requirement for you to convert the car (the only exception I can think of would be for Switzerland). Some friends of ours are bringing their Toyota FJ back with them from the US and all it requires is the money to ship it.

I don't know if there's such thing as a definitive list. (EDIT: Tree'd by Famine)

If you're importing one into Austria, you'll probably find you won't need to do many changes at all. Presuming you're importing from Dubai (that is where you live, isn't it?), the speedometer is already reading in KM so that won't need changing either.

You often see quite a few US-market cars in Europe so I presume they aren't too difficult to import.

I'm not sure why the lights will be such a big deal but if you genuinely need completely different units you have to start asking yourself if it'll be worth going through the hassle rather than just selling up and getting something else once you're in Austria that is already fully legal for the roads. I know you haven't had the Altima too long and that's probably not what you want to hear, but I wouldn't personally be wanting to spend $5k on something that'd be more hassle than it's worth.

well actually the guys from the car registration place told me that there are lots of differences between US and EU spec cars which are really a matter of change!

Headlights in US Spec cars are at a 1.2% higher level then EU spec cars, US cars have those yellow sidemarkers (cornermarkers) and yellow parking lights which arent allowed in EU.
In the US it is not mandatory to have rear foglights, my car doesnt have them!

The front foglights are powered by a different relay then EU cars have them.
And there are couple more differences that need to be changed if you import a US Spec car into Europe. - Unless its older then 25 years.

Homeforsummer, you're completely right, i just bought the car 2 months ago and i really dont want to sell it again :)

Famine, i asked couple of people and it really seems that there are no other Altima's in Europe.
There is one 09 in Czech and one '05 in Germany, but both aren't registered / road legal :)

Chris

well actually the guys from the car registration place told me that there are lots of differences between US and EU spec cars which are really a matter of change!

Headlights in US Spec cars are at a 1.2% higher level then EU spec cars, US cars have those yellow sidemarkers (cornermarkers) and yellow parking lights which arent allowed in EU.
In the US it is not mandatory to have rear foglights, my car doesnt have them!

The front foglights are powered by a different relay then EU cars have them.
And there are couple more differences that need to be changed if you import a US Spec car into Europe. - Unless its older then 25 years.

All hogwash. An individual model doesn't need any of that. If it's the entire model range, it must be certified for road use in that territory, but not for a single, private import except for the foglights (which are mandatory in the UK) and ensuring that the headlight angle is correct (points to the left - not applicable in the EU) and the indicators are separate from the brake lights and the right colour (UK lighting regulations).

Unless Austria has some kooky rules of which I'm unaware, it's wholly unnecessary for a single import to be changed beyond having a speedometer which reads the correct units for that country (and since most analogue binnacles read in both km/h and mph, it's not usually an issue). Bring a US-spec car to the UK and they'll give you a registration document and registration mark as soon as you register it - no changes required at all.

Be sure this guy isn't just looking to bill you for unnecessary work that he thinks he can convince you is necessary. As far as I'm aware you only need to have orange indicators and orange side repeaters - maybe the red foglight too, if that's EU law - and that can be achieved with some plastic.

Last edited:
Headlights in US Spec cars are at a 1.2% higher level then EU spec cars

That can't be true, otherwise Lotus would have had to completely redesign the front of the Elise to make the car legal for US use.

US cars have those yellow sidemarkers (cornermarkers) and yellow parking lights which arent allowed in EU.

Again, not true. The first-gen Volvo S40 had orange cornermarkers that were on all the time and that was sold in every market like that, including the EU.

As Famine says, it sounds suspiciously like this guy is just making stuff up so you have to pay him a bunch to do a load of work you don't need...

That can't be true, otherwise Lotus would have had to completely redesign the front of the Elise to make the car legal for US use.

There might be some truth to that, there was a couple that bought a MINI here locally and they had plans on taking it with them to Germany when one of them was transferred there for work. Motor City MINI had to do something with the headlamps to make it EU compliant, they were HID lights though so it might just be the angle on them or something.

I know the dealer had a heck of time trying to get the car so it would be road legal in both countries.

Again, not true. The first-gen Volvo S40 had orange cornermarkers that were on all the time and that was sold in every market like that, including the EU.

You know thats funny cause that was the exact same response that i said when he mentioned the yellow sidemarkers/cornermarkers!

He then told me, that that was a complete different story again because the volvo has clear/white parking lights, where as my car has them in orange!

Nah im pretty sure about the thing with the different headlight angles and systems, cause i had the choice of buying my Nissan with HID Xenon lights or without, luckily i bought it without the HIDs cause in the EU you HAVE to have headlight washers installed if your car is equipped with HID headlights.

Chris

Yeah, the thing about the headlight washers is true. All HIDs have to be self-adjusting too to stop them dazzling people.

I still don't think the parking light thing makes a difference. I've photographed plenty of US-market cars in the UK that are no different from the moment they went onto the boat in the States.

Why can't they have amber sidemarkers/turn signals? Would people think it's the back of the car (due to the need for amber rear turn signals)? Or just because the white lights would be brighter?

The regulations for the light beams are different in Europe than in the States.

It was once explained to me that the laws state that all street name signs must be lit, in either the States or Europe, hence the difference in light patterns. So, on one continent, if you have lit street signs, the light cutoff is lower.

Don't take this as gospel though.

can't you just change or remove bulbs to match Euro spec? or have we got vehicles where the bulb bases are different to the rest of the world (like dang near every thing ELSE in the world)

well yesterday i spoke to another guy at the registration place and he told me that i could apply for a special registration which then allows me to drive the car as it is (completely US Spec).

So either today or on Monday ill ask and see how much it would cost me and what i have to do to get that special permission!

Chris :)

As far as I'm aware you only need to have orange indicators and orange side repeaters - maybe the red foglight too, if that's EU law - and that can be achieved with some plastic.

Is that why EU market Celicas have these hideous square lights stuffed into the rear bumper:

05F7K153317502B.jpeg

(JDM model for comparo)
r727pv.jpg

Yep, and it's why you see what looks like a bicycle light hanging off the back of old imported Miatas.

And in fact old not-imported MX-5s too. UK-spec ones have the foglight in the same place.

They do indeed.

dm5.jpg

Actually, the one on mine isn't as bad as some I've seen. It tends to be worse on imported ones where they've not had a recess cut into the bumper to put the light in.

Some enterprising souls have fitted a different bulb in one of the reversing lights and put a red film over it, and voila - a foglight. Might do the same with mine when I have less pressing things to deal with.

I suspect you can do the same with any car that has two spaces for reverse lights, including that Celica.

Well if you did the reverse light deal, you would have to wire it up differently so it came on while driving (or when the headlights are one, whichever the law states) rather than when you are backing up.

I'm aware ;) I'm just saying that it's something people have done and it's quite a good idea. You neither need two fogs or two reversing lights - one of each is plenty.

that EU spec celica with those hideous fogs looks just... wrong :)

There are some C5 Corvettes around here that have also HUGE, and i really mean HUGE red fog lights stuck on the OEM rear bumper, same goes with Chevy Tahoes and Chevy Caprice...

What im gonna do know is reregister my car in the UAE - Dubai and drive for the next couple years with Arab plates in EU.
Safes money and trouble hehe

Chris

-> That specific Altima must be a gray-market import. As far as I know, the Altima was never marketed in Europe ever. So the Altima (on which is in Austria right now) is a direct-USDM model with very slight modifications added on:

- Turn signals on the front fenders like in the Primera/Almera.
4114300006_large.jpg

- Rear fog lights, maybe an aftermarket unit to be installed.
rearvw2.JPG

- Euro-spec license plate adaptor, since the stock adaptor is a USDM-spec.
PrincessEuroPlateFrame-268x208.jpg

3952059212_5b376f85d5.jpg

- And a custom-fit Euro-license plate on the rear trunk/boot.
158740d1247557014-mercedes-amg-driving-academy-returns-2011-mercedes-sls-amg-pg2-official-pics-2010-slsamg-rear-mercedesbenz-fd-500-1.jpg

^ Lots of extra Euros to spend for the conversion, but you will be the only Altima owner in the Eastern Europe Area. :)

I'm just gonna jump into this conversation, I'm sorry if it's been said before, but you're allowed to have orange side markers on cars if they were sold like that in Europe, however the US spec dark red rear side markers are not allowed.

^ I'll support on his comment on this one:

Ok in Euroland

3rd-Gen v1 sedan
b4f6b77d.jpg

4th-Gen sedan
03.jpg

Not allowed in Euroland

4th-Gen coupe
1611928461_aeefeb99ea.jpg

3rd-Gen v2 sedan (SE-R style)
rear5.jpg

3rd-Gen v2 sedan
used-2006-nissan-altima-4drsdn35seauto-8031-4911524-3-640.jpg

:)

yea and another problem on the 3rd gen Altima's is that they dont have catalytic converter's. I had an 05 Altima before i got my 08 and the 05 didnt have any cat's !

Thanks for all your help and support, now i can just wait til 3 april until i can unload my car, then ill get back to all of you with the good or bad news :D

Chris :cheers:

Realised I mean "Eunos". Remember now, there was always one parked outside the local pub and the fog light would catch my eye every time.

Like this one here, sorry can't hotlink off autotrader.
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/image-g...ge-id/1094383830/advert-type/standard-listing

Yep. Eunos Roadsters and MX-5s both have that foglight. While it's possible to tell apart other imported cars from their native counterparts by the strap-on foglight hanging incongruously off the rear bumper, it's not with Eunoses/MX-5s.

Vanishing: what the hell is someone doing with a Chevy Caprice in Europe? wouldn't that take up half of the passing lane? and how does anyone in those little matchboxes not have a heart attack on witnessing that monster.

Vanishing: what the hell is someone doing with a Chevy Caprice in Europe? wouldn't that take up half of the passing lane? and how does anyone in those little matchboxes not have a heart attack on witnessing that monster.

We just wait for it to fall over at one of the many bends we have.

Back